We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
Canvas Curse was pretty damn fun to me actually.

As far as co-op games go, my friend keeps on coming into town wanting to play co-op shooters, but nowadays I just fall asleep while playing them. Last game we tried to play was army of two 2, and it was just the most lackluster rooty tooty point and shooty I have ever endured. I think especially after Spec Ops: The Line drove in the whole, "Stop enjoying the shooting of people" message and this whole political climate where I feel just downright weird shooting folks from the middle east in these games, I just can't enjoy shootys anymore.

Also yeah, The NSMBWU is pretty much the same ol' same ol'. Someone else ended up getting it for me and while it's a very solid platformer, it's just too safe and formulaic for a mario game.
Whenever I feel the need for co-op shooting I generally opt for TF2. I'm terrible at it but no one can really take it seriously enough to really berate you.

Maybe I play too many bot matches.

As for Kirby...I'm not sure. I guess I've just never warmed to the spin-offs or never had the chance to play them. My favorite game'd probably be Super Star, it had some pretty good variants on the original formula. I will admit Squeak Squad was pretty durn weak, though.
My favorite Kirby game is definitely Kirby 64. I'm a bit shocked and appalled that the copy power combos never came back again, they were so much fun to play around with. And then there's 02...

[Image: Zero-Two02_GL1TCH3D.gif]

I also like Super Star and uh Adventure I guess. Canvas Curse was okay, but didn't feel like a Kirby game. And I've never played the rest.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
64 is one of the best kirby games hands down. Such great music, the power mixing, collecting little enemy cards after levels, it was just fun fun fun.
It feels really slow though, but yeah it's pretty good. I'd really love to try Tilt N Tumble, it looks pretty fun.

Epic Yarn is such a boring piece of shit covered in cute yarn.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Squeak Squad disappointed me when I beat it 100% within a few hours, and discovered my reward was the ability to play it again, but without stopping.

Other than that, I don't think there's actually a Kirby game I don't like?

And of course, we're all forgetting about the best Kirby game.

SpoilerShow
(03-19-2013, 08:54 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »the game expects you to go out of your way to get all of them if you want all the shards. And as soon as you get them, you ditch the power.

It also sucked that they were used to destroy colored blocks, nothing creative or imaginative as far as i recall.
So Supergiant Games who made Bastion (Suuuuch a good game) have put out a trailer for their new game Transistor.

SpoilerShow

I have no words left.
Looks like a futuristic version of Bastion with a slightly different art style for the characters.

I'll pass.
ed you break my heart with near WEEKLY REGULARITY
It does look like another isometric arena fightin' shootin' fixed-path-explorin' deal.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
Proposed movement: Remake Kirby 64 for new platforms.
(03-19-2013, 10:24 PM)Gnauga Wrote: »ed you break my heart with near WEEKLY REGULARITY

Welcome to the videojames thread SchadenfruitSchadenfruitSchadenfruit:smug:smug:

(03-19-2013, 11:06 PM)AgentBlue Wrote: »Proposed movement: Remake Kirby 64 for new platforms.

DEATH TO ALL REMAKES. Seriously, why would you want to play the same thing again but slightly better? Why not make a new, similar but improved game?

I hate remakes.

Unless you were talking about ports in which case i agree i like ports
I don't think Transistor being like Bastion is a bad thing necessarily. Bastion gave me a hunger for more Bastion, and this game seems to fill that hunger with enough of a different angle to not seem like they're resting on their laurels.

It's waaaaay too early to pass judgment for me though.
Proposed movement: Buy the rights to Kirby and remake Kirby 64 for new platforms

Yeah, no.
(03-19-2013, 11:25 PM)GenTrigger Wrote: »I don't think Transistor being like Bastion is a bad thing necessarily. Bastion gave me a hunger for more Bastion, and this game seems to fill that hunger with enough of a different angle to not seem like they're resting on their laurels.

I didn't like Bastion in the first place so there's that. It's a terrible trailer really, it only shows a few seconds of irrelevant gameplay footage, it doesn't showcase the mechanics, controls, nothing.
it showcases monochrome/primary colour-schemed robots that have an eye motif
that's basically enough to sell me on any product
(03-19-2013, 11:28 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Zero Mission is the only game I can think of off the top of my head where the entire game has been completely redesigned, although I'm sure there have to be more.

Wild Arms Alter Code F is a complete redesign. I've been replaying it lately. Some of the changes were good, others not so good; some new boss battles were added, and some were made trickier but some others were severely dumbed down, often into tutorials or really pathetic gimmick battles.

Most notably, there was one dungeon in the original game where you had to defeat a giant mantis so that you could use its skull to hold down a switch. In the remake, though, you just fight two giant mantises out of nowhere. Rather than being an amusing way to solve a puzzle, it's just another boss battle.

Also the translation is incredibly wooden, but that's a localization issue, not a design issue.

On the whole I enjoyed it, but in some ways I liked the original game more.

FF3 and 4 DS *should* have been redesigned, the damage formulas were revamped and in the latter game most of the boss battles were altered; the problem in both is that the basic map layouts haven't changed with the transition to 3D.

Those are the main examples I can think of off the top of my head, like you said, I'm sure there are more.
(03-19-2013, 11:37 PM)Ed Wrote: »
(03-19-2013, 11:25 PM)GenTrigger Wrote: »I don't think Transistor being like Bastion is a bad thing necessarily. Bastion gave me a hunger for more Bastion, and this game seems to fill that hunger with enough of a different angle to not seem like they're resting on their laurels.

I didn't like Bastion in the first place so there's that. It's a terrible trailer really, it only shows a few seconds of irrelevant gameplay footage, it doesn't showcase the mechanics, controls, nothing.

didn't like bastion I don't even Ed. I don't even.

This is a reveal trailer Ed, this is not a commercial trailer it's just to let people know what product they're currently working on, and give viewers a sense of the mood.
I wrote a bunch of things when i so naively bought it expecting something i'd never forget so here they are if you want to know why i didn't like it i guess:

SpoilerShow

E: I don't understand the point of reveal trailers, if you don't have much of the product ready to reveal then announce it by other means, not video.
Those are valid criticisms. I'm a fool for setting, art direction, and presentation, but yeah the combat was nothing to write home about.
(03-19-2013, 11:28 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »There is one remake I like better than the original.
Me, thoughts: "Zero Mission?"
*mouseover link*
Me, thoughts: "Yyyyyup."
Okay, so those arguments against Kirby 64 are valid for a normal playthrough I guess, but I like challenges, so challenging myself to use a terrible power (like ice skating or statue carving) the whole game is actually kind of fun.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
What if you lose the power though? Game over?

Playing the game in ways it wasn't supposed to be played doesn't make the game design better :V

(03-20-2013, 02:22 AM)GenTrigger Wrote: »Those are valid criticisms. I'm a fool for setting, art direction, and presentation, but yeah the combat was nothing to write home about.

Me too, it has great atmosphere and music. But a game has to have at least something to keep my attention.
I'm of the opinion that the combat in Bastion was actually pretty swell. Maybe not so much toward the beginning, but later on.
I have long been a sucker for Final Fantasy Tactics challenge runs, personally, but I think that's probably just because the game itself gives me an uncomfortably-persistent gamerection.