Palace Caprae (Sburblike RP)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palace Caprae (Sburblike RP)
RE: Palace Caprae (Sburblike RP)
Jocelyn Winters (often appearing online by the moniker Iceblade17) lives a fairly comfortable life as the 16 year old daughter of a pair of fairly rich, quite loving but very busy parents. Her grades are all pretty good but her real area of expertise is athletics, coming in easily as the best (and obviously fastest) sprinter in the entire school. Or at least she was before she was hospitalised for some fairly serious leg muscle damage following a sporting accident.

Suddenly bedridden, Jocelyn turned her aggressive tendencies to online gaming instead, something she was not surprised to learn that she was incredibly good at. Already ruthlessly competitive, the power of internet anonymity turned her from a merely obnoxious victor to an almost unbearable one, and an even worse loser.
Jocelyn sees herself as a Winner and anything that challenges this status as a threat. She believes that she's fully entitled to excel at everything she puts effort into regardless of prior experience and there is very little that she will not do in order to protect her ego if this turns out not to be the case.

Receiving an invitation to private alpha testing of one of the most widely anticipated games of the decade isn't actually something that comes as any surprise to her at all, in fact she suspects that it's only due to some kind of mailing error that she didn't get one much, much sooner. Obviously her reputation must precede her, who hasn't heard of the legendary Iceblade17?

Despite her injuries she's recovered to an extent that she is mobile (with crutches) but quite slow, and currently confined to the walls of St. Udir's Youth Hospital for observation and physical therapy following surgery. Technically she's been released to go home twice, but after re-wounding herself within a week both times the general consensus is that it's probably best to keep her inside until she's a bit more steady on her feet, regardless of any complaints she makes about it.
At least now she'll have something with which to occupy her time, right?
Man I haven't been keeping track of slots and reserves or anything, I was just gonna go with Zero's plan and pick eight from the set of applicants. If you want to participate but you think there's eight other people who deserve it more than you, you might as well test that hypothesis by having a character?
but yeah do whatever i'm trying to stay p hands off about stuff i don't need to be hands on about

e: oh hey whoops a wild jacq appeared
why reserve instead of just posting it when you're done, I mean you already told him you had the intention to join and it's not first come first served
I don't understand why this happens in so many topics
Jacob Bellefry, "JB" for short:

JB is a teenager, 16 years of age. His hair is dark brown, and he has a rather slender build, about average height (although on the taller end of average). He has green eyes and a light-ish complexion, and is almost always wearing a grey t-shirt and jeans, with an unzipped red zip-up hoodie on over them.

He lives a relatively normal life, going to school, hanging out with friends, playing video games, even reading a few comics about various superheroes. When he isn't playing games or following the latest buzz about up-and-coming titles, he's busy working on his mechanical projects. Practically born with a wrench in his hand, he knows machines in and out, and tends to work on simple robots and machines that do basic tasks. His projects tend to range in levels of complexity, from fixing up a car engine to making a mechanical arm capable of picking up small objects. It doesn't help that he seems to leave a trail of them wherever he goes.

He has a knack for adventure and exploration, loving the thrill of finding new things and seeing new places. Along with this, JB is somewhat reckless, throwing himself into new things without thinking or really considering the danger. He's fairly trusting, eager to talk to others always desperate to be liked by others. Obviously, he can come off as somewhat overenthusiastic, although he always means well. Still, he lays his life on the line for those he does care about.

He spends a great deal of time in an abandoned factory near his house. Either exploring it with friends or tinkering with broken-down machines, it is almost a second home to him. A dirty, dingy, rusty second home. It's even got an internet signal, after one particular adventure where he and his friends set up a few routers on the various levels of the factory for better communication with each other. It's in this factory where JB decides to test out this new game that he's heard so much buzz about, and that he's mysteriously been chosen to partake in.

The factory proper has three above ground floors and a basement level. The first floor is an assembly line, with a conveyor belt, a great deal of broken-down production equipment including mechanical arms, industrial molds, compactors and the like. The second floor is where more expensive tools are, including all sorts of industrial power tools such as drills and saws, and the like. The top floor is offices, where most of the computing equipment is set up and features such thrilling equipment as file cabinets, a break room with a refrigerator, vending machines, and a microwave, desks, paperwork...of course, all decaying and in poor condition. The basement level is mostly a waste dump, with a massive incinerator at the center of it all.

Obviously, a great number of your creations litter the place, a few of the more mobile ones even roam the building. He has tried to get some of the equipment working, and has succeeded in a few cases...

His online username is MechMan271.
Alright sorry but I realized that I'm in too many things already, and my character was pretty bad anyways. Sorry, but I can't play.
Benedict, when are you going to close applications?
I mean, the game has to start eventually, right?
Well I know of at least one person who still intends to post but literally can't yet and we're still missing a fair amount of the people who expressed initial interest so I don't think a couple of extra days would hurt

I mean this topic's only been open for like four days total it actually seems really premature to be using the word "eventually" as if everyone's been waiting!
Sorry I've been kind of busy and have to leave soon, I'll throw up an app on Sunday maybe/Monday at the latest.

If Benedict really wants to start things in the next two days or so I'll be fine though.
It was a dark and stormy night...

The sound of chickenscratch pencil fills the dimly lit room. Meet Alex White, writer-in-residence: in this case the residence is her own home on a high hill, a squat stone fortress facing the summer storm howling outside. As the ancestral heir to the White dynasty, a financial family sinking in the recent banking straits, the house is, in effect, her only inheritance.

A point more recently illustrated by the suicide of her mother, Vanessa White - a suicide as sensational as the woman herself: not many people manage to hang themselves from a tightrope suspended between the twin skyscraper headquarters of White Financial. 'Tightrope accident', the official statement called it, but everyone knew.

Marcus Phillipson White coped by working, drinking, and leaving Alex the hell alone. 'Too painful,' he'd mutter on the rare occasions he saw her sober, 'your mother's eyes.'

She checked. She did have her mother's eyes.

Sometimes she wondered if she was a psychopath. When she'd heard, grief had come at her, but from a long way away; muffled as if through cotton. She wrote instead; dribbles of drabbles, unconnected paragraphs, music in literature. Occasionally, she'd post online, to no fanfare, no attention, no reaction at all from an indifferent world. Just the way she liked it.

She almost decided not to play the game she got an alpha key to. People were not her strong suit. But at the same time, something unique...a virtual, virgin set of experiences untainted by the secondhand hands of others; a shared hallucination between her peers and her self...when you thought about it that way, how could she resist?
Oh wow it really has only been 4 days. I mostly just wanted a deadline by which I needed to finish updating my character.
Sorry, I know I said I thought I'd get something out, but between school and other obligations I just don't think I'd be able to keep up with this.
Ahahaha wow, okay like, it looks like applications have more or less dropped off, and there's... nine characters. Which is kind of awkward? Because if I pick eight characters, then I'm basically telling that ninth person "yours is the worst character of all, you suck". I totes don't want to do that, though, jeez.

wait actually no i miscounted it's 10 so that's not so bad

But hm, so, like, there's enough people to start, but there's a few people who were wanting to make a character, but haven't done so yet? Like I know Solaris plans to do something, and also maybe Schazer?

Thing is though, I can "start" things asynchronously, and pick four from the... like, the top six, and then have another session with the next four when everyone who wants in is in? Or really, I could do entry challenges on an individual basis, so when we start I don't need to be rushing from player to player and trying to get their individual stuff out of the way first. Doing it asynchronously will also give me more time to put together scenarios and maps and stuff- most of my notes are general-purpose adaptable things, and entry sessions give me the further information I need to finish setting up.

also i'm getting hella antsy so that's another reason to start some stuff

So in the pretty-much-a-shoo-in (shoe-in? how's that idiom work) category are Jonas Bentham Jr, Alex White, Jocelyn Winters, Emily Hunter, and also probably Delia Jain and Hans Duffe. I guess... I'll set a date/time for an IRC intro session, followed by one or more individual entry sessions? That'll probably be on Friday sometime, since I've got a test Thursday night and I'll be gone over the weekend.

am excite to do
remember some of us are in strange timezones
Okay so! I'm back from my weekend trip and I screwed the pooch on my programming test because I was too busy meeting old relatives and getting birthday money to like, study, or otherwise do anything useful. Being back and being done with tests means I can try to get this pwawty stawted, so like... hm. I will... set a timer for 21:00 (9pm) EST , by which point I should be in Esper IRC on #palacecaprae and if I'm not there within like five minutes of that then it probably means that I fucked up somehow and it'd behoove you to scram and do something else.

Probably this means starting with an OOC Q+A, followed by an IC Q+A with the characters once we've got other difficulties ironed out, maybe. I'll put up a transcript or a summary in the thread afterwards for peeps who are in strange timezones and aren't there.
I may or may not be playing bioshock but I'll idle in the channel so if you say my name it will make a sound and I shall be summoned like some form of eldritch creature
I don't even has Internet a lot ;3;

Also what is that in real time zones
Man idk what you mean by real time zones but that's 9 at EST which is -5 so that's like 2am GMT and how about it's in an hour and a half from this post's timestamp, whatever that happens to be.
Noontime today

cool i have class
Q&A in progress.

SpoilerShow

Then there was some more talk that I missed logging. I'm thinking I'll switch to a non-mibbit client so I can autolog stuff after this.

Here's a link to the log of the IC Q+A. I'll try to grab excerpts of the highlights tomorrow, since it ended up being kind of a goofy snarkfest and kinda long to read through for people who weren't there. Right now it's almost midnight and I gotta do the sleep.

Edit: First twenty IC questions:

SpoilerShow

e: Next twenty!

SpoilerShow

e: okay the rest of the questions, plus some other stuff

SpoilerShow
i wanna do another one of those IC logs :3
So...how goes the picking of who is going to be in the final roster? Um...haven't been online much so I haven't really been able to be a part of the the Q+As yet. So...yeah.
All right, we've got our first entry session down!

SpoilerShow

[Image: larrys_vervessels.png]
Entry session number 2, for Hans Duffe.

SpoilerShow

[Image: hans_vervessels.png]
Entry number 3, Emily Hunter/Connie Spires.

SpoilerShow
[Image: connies_vervessels.png]

Oh, and I drew up a map of Larry's apartment, as a general sort of guide to how his world will be laid out:
[Image: larry_postentry.png]
Entry number 4, Jonas Bentham.

SpoilerShow

[Image: jonas_vervessels.png]