Group Buys: Dirty Capitalist Pig General

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today I decided to buy my good friend Sanzh a gift. While checking competing prices on what I decided to buy him I was met with a terrible conundrum. Shipping is really expensive and I wasn't going to get a discount. Clearly there is only one way to solve this, and that is to attempt to rope everyone else I can into buying something from the same place. A few people agreed that maybe it'd be good to at least attempt something like this.

So, here you have it. A thread for nickel and diming companies and possibly getting amazing deals that will make you die from the absolute amazingness that are inherent in great deals. I'll throw things up in the OP if anyone else has any ideas for things that should be bought below.

So, uh, episode one: Motherfucking Serbian Jackets and Miscellaneous Military Surplus.

Hessen Antique is a particularly good place to do group buys from. Any order over $100 gets free shipping, and I can see about wrangling up a 10% or 30% discount from them if I can. The best part of this particular buy is that we'd conceivably only need three people to actually get jackets. I'm down for two, one for myself, and one for Sanzh. One of my friends will jump on and get the third. So long as the total order adds up to over $100 we'll be good to go, so don't be afraid to branch out and get anything that catches your eye on their store.

As for the actual jackets, they're quite nice! Definitely a jacket for anyone who likes having pockets in places they never even considered possible. They're of course not entirely fancy dress wear, but they get the job done when it's less than 75 degrees out. It shouldn't have to be noted how incredibly operator they are.

There are a few finer points in them, especially since so many were made by several different manufacturers during the wars in the Balkans. It basically boils down to you receiving one of two models, the M89 and M93 respectively. The M89 has zipper pockets on the chest instead of pockets with flaps, and the camouflage tends to have more of a brown base. The M93 is more or less the one pictured. I can't guarantee what everyone would get, but it should be a fun surprise since no two are alike.

As for sizes: They have everything from small to extra larges. The page linked above isn't all of the selection, as for some reason they've made separate listings for anything under a large. The sizes in the jackets range from 1 to 12. This makes absolutely no sense, but from experience an 11 will fit someone with a 46" chest, and that's what the extra larges tend to be.

Also for the sake of letting everyone know just what they're getting, here's two hastily taken camera phone photos of the M89 jacket I own.

A view of the front.

A view of the inside.

Let's run this shit into the ground.
RE: Group Buys: Dirty Capitalist Pig General
Chalk me up as interested, provided we get all the people needed. How's the distribution going to work? Can we still get free shipping but specify different locations to send the jackets to, or will they all go to you and then have to be sent to wherever they need to go from there?
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
I'll have to ship out everyone's stuff after it arrives here. It'll still be cheaper than shipping for everyone individually since I have some boxes lying around.

I think it's important to note that I don't save addresses and I'm not a dick.
I'll guess even odds on whether I buy anything or not, but I'm utterly mystified by their inventory. Doubt I could pull off that jacket, but I'm definitely looking around at the other stuff.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
It'd probably be best if everyone start chalking up what they'd want to buy. I can throw it into a cart and calculate the final costs that way.
...I want ;-;

but I am in other country and poor.
Oh yeah, what country are we in.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
Hobbesy lives in Missouri a few hours away from me; I wouldn't mind giving out my address if people want to calculate postage, although if Hobbesy wants to give his that'd be more accurate.
I live in Tennessee, pyp. My ZIP code is 37042 for anyone who wants to calculate their postage.
What Tennessee you lied to meeeeeeeeeee
[Image: 0cB3Paf.png]

East of the Mississippi, pyp. East.
hold up i think we all need to buy a pair of these
I forgot to mention the patch that the jackets have on them.

[Image: 3QTo1.png]

Eagles are a bit of a popular topic here I'm led to understand.
I am definitely down for this.
This is what it's looking like at the moment. Once Squib gets what he wants in we should break $100 for the free shipping.

I got in touch with some other reenactors I know to see if they wanted anything from Hessen, so this is probably to get rolling pretty soon. We'll have to work out money somehow.

SpoilerShow
communist pusheen.

+1.

:3

(so what precisely is happening)
I think Agen meant "what have we worked out" rather than "what is the purpose of this venture," bigro. :P

And I believe Hobbesy is buying two for himself, one for Sanzh, and one for Agen, and I'm getting one for myself. HOBBESY YOU CRAZY MOTHERFUCKER (you are a cool guy)
I'm getting two things for myself, one for Sanzh, and something for Agent when they decide what exactly they want. Some other friends of mine not associated with Eagle Time have also jumped in to help us over the $100 free shipping mark. What a swell bunch of guys.

Speaking of which, we've actually gone over it. Unless you want to just use PayPal I was thinking everyone could just mail me their money in a letter or something. If we do that it'd remove the need for telling me your address since I'd have your return addresses to send the packages back to. If we use PayPal I'd have to transfer the money to my credit union, which takes a few days.

Here's what everyone here owes so far:

PYP: $19.50 for one Serbian jacket.
Squib: $27.98 for one Serbian rucksack, and a German deck jacket.
ahhhhh there's too much choice

too much chooooiiiice

need

parameters
Something that fits you, not over $30 preferably.
I suppose that really depends on your view of what constitutes expensive? The shipping was almost half of the singular product I'd would have been buying. In that instance it was quite expensive, however, I didn't want to organize this singularly because of the price of shipping. It was more a way of showing everyone a place I thought was neat, and giving them a chance to maybe acquire some stuff from it.
The shipping to PYP and Sanzh will cost around $5.60 or so each due to the size of the packages I'm sending. The other people I'm getting things for live in the same town I do, so shipping things to them doesn't really apply since they're just going to grab their jackets from my house. $11.20 is more than $10.64, but I have some spare change around and I don't really mind paying the difference.

The cost for shipping from Hessen for even one jacket is still a flat rate of $10.64 if I remember correctly, so in the end everyone getting something individually would cost more, yes. Shipping for Agent will be a lot more than $5.60, but I'll send them theirs out of the niceness of my heart because it's somewhat of a gift.

In the end it may or may not be more expensive, but I don't really mind paying for everyone's shipping. I had some spare change and dollar bills lying around from earlier in the Summer, and so far it adds up to being enough to cover it.
your avvie looks very impatient