why do we need to study english?

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
why do we need to study english?
RE: why do we need to study english?
Hey I have a favor to ask of some of our local Teens and High Schoolers, or people who know of Teens and High Schoolers irl!

I'm thinking of doing a letter-writing/email-writing exercise with my 3rd year English Expression elective and would like them to, if possible, send their letter to Actual Far-Off Folks. There are 11 kids in the class, would anybody be willing to write a response to a letter?
I am a Teen High Schooler, send me one! (Email please, I'd rather not give away my physical address or my high school name. Hopefully that's not a problem) I know a little Japanese, way less than they probably know English, but I'll try to see if I can write some of it in Japanese.
No problem! JET is pretty clear about ALTs like myself not putting identifying information about specific students online where it's publicly visible, so I'll obviously apply the same to anybody who's willing to send me words for my kids.
I'm a local Teen and High Schooler and I'd be more than willing to write a response email
I would also be interested/am a local teen highschooler! I would prefer email too...

((Naturally, I would write a response email.))
Sig:
SpoilerShow
Thank you guys so much! The class will be a week from now; they'll write their messages, I'll send them yours ways and if you can write up a response within a week (by May 7th for you Americafolks probably) I can pass it on two lessons from now.

(If anyone else would be keen to do it let me know within a week!)
Hello yes I am a high schooler and I’d be intrested! Although i'd prefer it over email
Yup, it'll be strictly digital. Not over actual emails though because we don't have that tech available in the classroom? So I'll be typing up what they write and probably PMing it to you on these forums, then I'll print out your responses and pass it on to them in the next lesson.

(I mentioned letter-writing because it's more like "practice writing a letter and following all the textual conventions that come with that", but figured non-physical mail was a better route to take.)
I sometimes get asked to design "fun" lessons to kill a period (often at the end of term but we've got sports tournament this week so there's variable numbers of students out of school - so covering textbook material isn't fair or practical while they're gone).

I've had a lot of luck with Sheep - once the kids understand the rules (including that it's ok to lie to get ahead) they have a really good time with it. I can use questions they've studied in class, and anyone who starts falling behind always has the option to right down 1-point answers and watch me try to announce it with a straight face.

Some fun answers I had:

What did you do last weekend?
-I ate rice all day.
How do you spend your free time?
-I eat rice.

How are you?
-I'm human.

How do you come to school?
-Teleport
-Bird (two respondents)

Where do you want to go in the future?
-Neverland (two respondents)
-the Government Archives
-Muscles
-Space
-Mars

-Superhero
-War
-Kill monsters
-Let It Be
-Protect the Earth with Kosei
-<the respondent's girlfriend's name>
-Rotate

A reason you're late for something
(the following translated from Japanese)
-Took too long in the shower
-Hit by a car (three respondents)
-Hit by a falling rock
-Dived into a river to retrieve a giant peach as it floated by
-Delayed by typhoon-force headwinds and badly-timed traffic lights
-Broke a bone
-Chain on bike detached outside the local Nafco
-Took it easy
(05-30-2017, 03:33 AM)Schazer Wrote: »How do you spend your free time?
-I eat rice.

How are you?
-I'm human.

-Let It Be
-Rotate

A reason you're late for something
-Dived into a river to retrieve a giant peach as it floated by

Some of my personal favorites.
I have letters! The JTE ended up prepping paper for them to write a final copy on, so I'll be taking photos of them and sending them yours' ways in the next day or so. Let me know if you have the time to write back to more than one person, as I've got 11 students and at present five folks happy to write back. If you do take on more than one letter, I'll make sure the content's a bit different between them.
I think I may be able to reply to more than one letter if needed!
Same over here!
I could also take another letter!
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I've managed to rope a teacher friend back home into recruiting some of her students, but thank you guys for the offer! I've sent the four of you one letter each for now.

Some of my students might've asked for personal information in your letters (and I mean there's your name obviously). I understand if you're uncomfortable with divulging those details, so I'm not gonna kick up a fuss if you want to change some stuff for your own peace of mind.

Thanks again guys for your help! Deadline's Wednesday night for NZ+Australia+folks in Asia, Wednesday afternoon for folks in Europe, annnnd maybe just to be safe Tuesday night if you're living in the Americas.
Some extremely good speculative fiction written by my Extension English students:

Quote:I am a hawk.
I usually fly in the sky.
I watch my prey.
But I sometimes miss them. so I must concentrated on my hunting.
If it rains, hunting is difficult.
So I hope it will be sunny.

Quote:I am a dog kept by a rich man. I can eat good food because my owner is rich.
My favorite food is meat. It is very delicious. I have a better life than human.

Quote:I'm a namakemono (Sloth).
I think humans are fools.
They are busy. Because they have "work".
"work" is very hard for me.
They should learn from me.

Quote:I'm a hanger.
I feel comfortable, blown by the wind.
The laundry smells good.

Quote:I am a bird. I soar freely through the skies with my family everyday.
But, one day, I got separated from my family when it was raining.
I began to look for them once it had stopped raining.
However, I couldn't find them. Since then I continued to look for them. At last, After one week, I met them.
I soar freely through the skies with my family today.

Quote:I am a smartphone.
I can take pictures and sing songs.
I sometimes get drowned in the bath.
I sometimes fall from high places.
But I am happy because I can make people happy.

Quote:I am a camera.
I can take pictures and take movies.
I do not have a job because of smartphone.
I am not at all busy.
And my personal favorite for sheer wtf:

Quote:I am a cockroach.
they don't like me but I like them.
my favorite food is sebum oil
Down to my last three days of lessons. Have graciously refrained from crying and making things awkward.

I was finally able to hand back the letters/emails my students wrote. Huge thanks to everyone here who helped out!