We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accesories.
My games are the messiest.

SpoilerShow

Also Ix the inside cover of the PC box for ME3 is opaque. The reversible cover is fine on that version. :>

And I totally agree about the manual thing! I always read the manuals. Not because they're more useful than (or a good excuse for not having) a decent tutorial, but because when I'm done playing for the day and just want a little more of that game, I can just plop down and peruse the manual. It's fun.
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
I played Blinx once. It was cute.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
I'm more on the other side of the collection spectrum. I'll consume a game and then dispose of it.

The ultimate form of this, I think, is the YouTube walk through. In the last few days I've managed to experience god of war 3, Arkham asylum, Dante's inferno, dark siders, and binding of issac. These are games I probably wouldn't have bought, and would have eventually hated the hours I would have had to pour into needlessly game-lengthening sequences. With YouTube, when a group of enemies that you've fought before appears, or a frustratingly long puzzle poses a challenge you can just click and scroll to the point where it is already solved.

Digital media in the markets of gaming and entertainment, saddled with ever-burgeoning outdated ideals of licensing and intellectual property, is as a whole becoming an increasingly dangerous path to tread, unless you happen to be the one at the top raking in profits for franchising and licensing.

...sorry, this just got political, didn't it? D:
(03-11-2012, 02:25 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I'm saying physical media is good because humans are tactile creatures. And again, what are you gonna put in a museum? Just have a video of something on loop? That is so boring, and there is no real historical context.

What are they going to put in a gaming museum about Minecraft, huh? A cube of dirt? Notch's hat? Digital distribution isn't without its drawbacks, although many people seem to forget this.

I still don't like buying digital, but I am a supernerd collectro type. But then I am not the only one.

I got 3 BULLETASTIC BULLET POINTS.BULLET

1. We can "touch" a digital video game in as many important ways as we can "touch" a physical copy. Because the CD, the box, the manual, none of that is part of the game at all. We touch the game through the input devices. Holding the box and reading the manual is a nice extra, and when every single game came in a box and had manual they certainly felt like part of the game, but the game itself is still a completely separate entity. One able to be just as likable and memorable on its own. And just in case, got bases to cover here, soldiers attacking my bases got to cover 'em, but if you are arguing that we as human do not FEEL the same amount of ownership over a digital copy than a physical one, I would like to cite every single person who ever says "Yeah I have it on Netflix" as evidence to the contrary. Anything that we can download onto OUR machine, a thing we can touch and modify and connect to visual and audio devices so we can get all super-sensual, we are wont to feel ownership over. And that's EVEN WITH the fact that, under current not-very-good-at-digital-yet laws, we (usually) actually do have more ownership over physical copies than digital ones.

2. Your argument tends to be about what you and people like you want, and there will always be companies who will attend to your desires cause hey you gots money and they gots items. But the younger generations, the ones who will grow up becoming more and more used to instantly getting a new game and playing it on THEIR machine, they aren't going to have the same experiences, and thus not the same interests. For the future kids, the anticipation of the car ride home will be non-existent. They won't be opening the box and reading the manual just so they can interact with some piece of the glorious new treasure while MOM IS GETTING GROCERIES HOLY SHIT WHY DIDN'T WE COME HERE FIRST(Reason: You take an hour picking out a game and there would be stuff in the car that would melt). Their memories will be different, their desires different, and video gaming's heart will always have its beat set by the young. I get that YOU like packaging and that's great nobody can tell you that's not great, but there will come a time when the vast majority can do without it and that's also great and nobody can tell them that's not great.

3. Yeah its boring its a MUSEUM didn't you go on field trips

("Lessening the amount of trash" and "saving trees" are also great arguments for the move to digital but I wanted to try to stick to your specific arguments)

(03-11-2012, 03:34 AM)AgentBlue Wrote: »Digital media in the markets of gaming and entertainment, saddled with ever-burgeoning outdated ideals of licensing and intellectual property, is as a whole becoming an increasingly dangerous path to tread, unless you happen to be the one at the top raking in profits for franchising and licensing

Well that's just putting old camels in new deserts there. People at the top have always been raking undeserved money, thieves have always been thieving, and laws have always been bending.

(03-11-2012, 04:13 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I wasn't making arguments. I'm not interested in a debate.

Oh so you were legitimately asking me what I would put in a museum then

In that case I would put more dinosaurs
THE HALL OF FAILED CONSOLES.

Hallmark exhibits: NINTENDO'S FORAYS INTO NEXT-GEN GAMING TWENTY YEARS BEFORE THE TECHNOLOGY WOULD BE GOOD; ONCE-SUCCESSFUL COMPANIES MAKE PATHETIC ATTEMPTS TO CLING TO MARKET SHARE AS 3D PROLIFERATES; and THE LEGENDARY CDi.
Lack of boxes saves museum space, by the time we need to museumise these things they'll have invented drives that can fit my entire steam collection into a gnat's eyeball and can run every game I've ever played simultaneously*, so you can just go to a museum and play old video games

*this may not be real science
Hmmm.... The idea of a game as a movie intriges me. We already have the prolific "let's play"s, where the person playing the game serves as a kind of actor or character themselves in the story. I wonder if there is a market for that.

Say you had a particularly open ended game where the style of play between individuals could vary substantially. And let's say that instead of wanting to invest $60 into the game itself you invested it into someone to play the game for you in a manner you specified. In a way you've become a director and producer for a movie that you've hired an actor for.

I dunno, there are several games where I've thought "I really wish I had done /that/" but when you look back at all the effort it would require to actually go and do that, it hardly seems worth it. So there may be situations where getting someone else to do it for you is worth the cost.

Of course I've always been someone who has enjoyed his games spoon fed to him. I love the "press x to win" mechanic of kingdom hearts. Games that tell a story are great until the gameplay gets in the way. Though what I've discovered through the YouTube experience is that these game-stories are very often bad ones, and without the interaction to mask that, the experience seems hollow.

I think I'll watch ffxiii next, for a game that is supposedly a linear progression from cutscenes to cutscenes, it seems like a good candidate.
you can play mass effect 3 with all the fight turned off if you so desire
I didn't though because who would actually buy a modern Bioware game expecting good writing, it's all about that Vanguard action
(03-11-2012, 05:07 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I was rhetorically asking what would be displayed in a hypothetical Minecraft exhibit.

I would really love to visit a gaming museum.

There was a video gaming exhibit at OMSI (the Oregon Museum of Science and Technology) some months back. It wassss... interesting, but pretty disappointing at the same time. The whole thing was arranged largely chronologically, with various sections about everything from gameplay to graphics and hardware to marketing; my favorite part of the whole thing was probably the old print ads from the 80s. For the most part, there weren't a whole lot of things like game boxes and CDs and manuals around; when they were part of the display, they didn't feature prominently in it – they were just set next to a console that was set up to play that game. More in evidence were things like pages of concept art or demonstrations of gameplay or posters describing how and why thus and such was relevant or interesting: all sorts of things that would be just as extant or doable for purely digital games as much as physically-distributed ones.

It's not so much the manner in which things were exhibited that made it disappointing, though. For all that it must have taken time to gather all these decades-spanning pieces of software and hardware and to research them and so forth, and for all that things were well laid-out and contained a lot of genuinely interesting bits of gaming history and technology... There was this feel of slapdashedness though a lot of it, that same insinuation that the people they were exhibiting this for were all little kids or losers that you get in TV and movies that include gaming as plot points. From the badly-spelled and worse-punctuated posters and descriptions to the fact that most of what was on display were things you probably already knew if you grew up with video games – say, if you happened to be born pretty much any time in the eighties on up – there was this tacit implication that it didn't matter how good or bad the exhibit was: it was for gamers. Who cares?
Much of the exhibit was that kind of arcade-slash-collection; I actually attribute a lot of the exhibit's overall weakness to the fact that it was so easy to lean on "Eh, let's just drop a copy of Castlevania into a console and let them play it, that way we don't have to talk about platformer design or anything."; I'm not saying of course that that shouldn't have been present, but I feel like it needed to be much better-supported by, well, actual museumy sorts of things.

But, like I said, it was clearly more targeted to kids than to adults – which is in and of itself problematic – so there were bound to be more flashing lights than explorations of hardware evolution.
(03-11-2012, 05:09 AM)btp Wrote: »I love the "press x to win" mechanic of kingdom hearts.

My rage blew up a building, declare victory good sir.

Also you are specifically referring to Kingdom Hearts 2, and god do I hate Kingdom Hearts 2.

EDIT: The rage is not directed toward your liking of "Press X to win" games (Which aren't as bad as they are made out to be by peoples like Yahtzee), it is directed at Kingdom Hearts 2. I could write a fucking novel on how Kingdom Hearts 2 was a horrible sequel.
There is an arcade/bar near here that is just stuffed to the brim with vintage arcade games (and a crapload of pinball machines) it's only missing a bunch of semi-informative plaques to be considered museum worthy.

Also I think games have reached a point where it would nearly impossible to make a good exhibit about them all. It's like making an exhibit called: "BOOKS!" and then expecting it to be satisfactory to bibliophiles.

Also oh Meghan...(why won't my iPhone stop autocorrecting your user name?) I would read that novel. It would probably be fantastic as the protagonist slowly delved deeper into madness every time he heard the phrase "sora, donald, goofy" or cried in frustration at constantly leaving behind world based characters, and then destroying all around him when presented with another gummi-ship mission.
I recently went to a Video Game exhibit in a museum actually. It was pretty cool, they had a giant timeline cabinet showcasing all the consoles of the ages, a whole bunch of arcade cabinets with legit pricing for the era which blew my tiny future mind (20p for a game of Gauntlet?! BARGAIN.), old consoles set up with note worthy games (Megadrive with Sonic 2, Snes with Mario kart, N64 with Goldeneye, the usual).

It was pretty obviously aiming more towards the 'look at these old games!' route than the historical information route. They also had 360's set up with modern games (Lego Pirates of the Caribbean and Sega kart racing game that I forget the name of) and everything had this 'gamey' feel to it, what with the 'WOAH giant pixel aesthetic!' and the 'Giant Pacman on the walls K-K-K-KRRRAAAZY' look of the whole place.

Course saying that they also had a ZX Spectrum with Manic Miner set up and some pretty interesting information about the home-brew game making scene of 1980's Britain. So it wasn't totally devoid of interesting stuff.

Also they had giant tetris pieces for chairs. They were awesome.
There was a video game exhibit over here a while back! It was pretty comprehensive, actually! They did cover more the development of the video game industry rather than the hardware and software innovations involved, but they had a lot of games set up and a pile of vintage controllers on display (among them a Power Glove. I squeed a little!)...all in all, good times. It was a while ago though, I might have edited the memories a bit :3
Dublin had Game On last year which was kind of like a museum/arcade thing, with sections dedicated to different time periods, consoles, aspects of gaming etc. Fun times were had. https://www.gameon-dublin.ie/home/index....ames/about has the full list of games, but it's lying when it says it's still running. That's the problem, really. I really liked Game On but it was just so darn impermanent.
Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-20-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post your size for opinions. Thanks.
You wanna see what needs to go into a museum

https://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo..._Dodgeball!

This goes in ALL THE MUSEUMS
I main team simpsons exclusively, Obama as ref. We can play in IdolMaster Studio w/ items off because that way it's a pure test of skill
Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-20-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post your size for opinions. Thanks.
Motherfucking Pokemon Team is banned from Competitive

Diglett is OP
Honestly, the Nintendo Plays: Dodgeball! tourney circuit gets a bad rep, UNDESERVEDLY so I think. Most of the "bad eggs" are just amateurs, the sort found on any of the hundreds of Nintendo Plays: Dodgeball! fansites on the 'net. Most pro 'dgers are pretty cool to hang out with, and don't take the game too seriously. Except Team Dragon Ball players, those guys are dicks.
(03-13-2012, 03:41 AM)Mehgamehn Wrote: »You wanna see what needs to go into a museum

i started reading about a couple other games and thought they were official releases and wondered how i missed them

then i realized what the wiki's name was. Doip
Really fuck Lucy Heartfilia's alt BNB, so glad tourneys are kinglocks only.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
(03-13-2012, 11:04 AM)MrGuy Wrote: »
(03-13-2012, 03:41 AM)Mehgamehn Wrote: »You wanna see what needs to go into a museum

i started reading about a couple other games and thought they were official releases and wondered how i missed them

then i realized what the wiki's name was. Doip

What are you talking about

https://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Ma..._Adventure

This is as official as it comes
tim j. koopa is the best koopa by far

with the possible exception of jimi kooprix