Letters from a Strange Box

The mid-afternoon sun glazes over your bedraggled homestead, as the light shines in through your blinds and awakens you from a deep, deep Sunday slumber. You attempt to pull the blankets over your eyes to stop this but they have already fallen to the ground, and so you forfeit and decide to finally get up, crunching chip packets littering the ground as you do.

After dressing, brushing your teeth, and eating breakfast yet certainly not in that order, you make your way downstairs and you see through your frosted glass windows surrounding the front door, a strange package. You haven't ordered anything in some time.

Bringing it inside, it is heavy and carved out of a strange thick wood. The bark smells faintly of lavender and salt, and is embossed with strange runic symbols that glow with a dull white light. The symbols seem to follow a sort of numerical pattern on each side of the rectangular package, with 1 rune on one side, 2 on the next, all the way up to 6 on it's base. It seems to resemble a six-sided die, although not cuboid.

After some fiddling, you manage to figure out that pressing the 1-side rune does nothing apparent, and none of the others aside from the middle rune on the 5-side do anything either. However, the middle rune on the 5-side causes a tiny hatch to open up on the box, just large enough for your hand to fit through. Reaching in yet remaining cautious in case some kind of wizard has decided to play a seemingly expensive prank on you which could have been done with a cardboard box, you grab onto something, a small cylindrical roll.

Pulling it out, you find a scroll, and as it is exposed to the fresh air it expands to about A4 size. It has a strange beige-colored wax seal which has a similar dull glow to the lights of the box, and pressing it opens the seal, releasing the scroll.

As the scroll unfurls you begin to read, and are quite puzzled by the missive, as it writes itself upon the paper in real-time;

Greetings, Nikalov!
I have finally arrived in this world of yours you speak of so highly, and I must admit I am utterly amazed! The colours, the sights, the sounds, all of it is wonderous! I was almost jumped and mauled by a savage-looking beast with the head of a drake and body of a cock, before I found this humble tavern known as the Bumblebee's Bosom. I sent this missive through an enchanted lavender-wood crate provided by the tavern barkeep, and he said it should make it's way to you through the whims and wishes of Lady Fate within a day or two. I trust you to send a return letter and come meet me when Wheel aligns with the Alabaster Sundial, as I am truly missing you in this strange and foreign land.

Fret not, as I have not forsaken our fatebond and we shall remain comrades throughout this. I know you told me that you had most pressing business to attend to and would most likely be unable to make it, but it still saddens me deeply as you are a great and true friend. In the meantime, however, I thought that we may as well maintain contact through this box. I have loaded it with another parchment similar to this, and when you press the corresponding rune it shall make it's way to me through our bond.

I am also going to be documenting my journey through these realms, and I thought you may help me with that. As this is an unfamiliar land to me and you know my penchant for documenting, I shall be crafting my latest encyclopedia on this fantastical world of yours. What do you call it, again? Tell me in your response. At any rate, you should tell me of any worthy sights, monoliths, beasts, witcheries, or other such interesting delights of nature and magic and I shall note them down to be added to my scriptures. I may even send you some of my notes back through this box, with my own magnificent sketches displaying these sights you know and love so greatly. You may even stick one above your hearth, and it's roaring dragonscale embers.

I hope this finds you well, with a full belly and a good pot of mead by your side.
Many blessings,
Your most truest friend,
Fatebond partner and fellow Wheelmonger,

~Runicio

P.S. I attached a sketch of that strange beast I encountered, although it is a little rough.

You are utterly staggered from this message, but you make sure to shake out that sketch to see what it looks like.

Well...

[Image: Ra2MoX0.png]

It's not the greatest you've seen, but considering that this seems to be genuinely real to whoever this is... You're not entirely sure how to process any of this, really.

You are not Nikalov, and you do not know what any of this means. You are simply an average person in 2018 living in a semi-modest apartment with a shitty day job and a penchant for incense and other scent-related products.

You pick up the phone that's been ringing for the past 20 seconds as you stared slack-jawed at the arcane purple text before you.

"You're late, again. Rin, please tell me why I keep calling you to come to these things considering you've never even shown up to one?"

You stammer out a reply, "Look, I've jus-"

But Sara interrupts you with a harsh "No. You haven't." and a sharp *beep* as the phone is hung up on you. You briefly muse on how much more dramatic that would've been had she been calling you from a landline, but you lift yourself from that ludicrous fantastical scenario.

Now, to real, pressing matters. What the hell are you going to write on this letter?
i'm a rad teen, confirmed good dog, and i try to do things sometimes.
SpoilerShow
RE: Letters from a Strange Box
Be Honest. Say you're Not this Nikalov person, Sorry, and that Their Magical Communication box showed up on your doorstep earlier. Perhaps The one they purchased was a Dud? Be Sure To Complement their Sketch, though, It Is Pretty Cool
Tell them this requires further investigation, and request a sample of a few artifacts from that realm.
>"I'm sorry but you have reached Rinucio not Runicio. I am not an expert, but a lizard headed chicken makes me think you might currently be in Detroit (I got bitten by a stray dog there once, see). I wish you luck on your travels!"
Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
"Dear Runicio,
I'm afraid that Lady Fate may have sent your lavender box to the wrong recipient. I am not Nikalov, and I do not know you, but based on what this creature you have drawn the likeness of, it reminds me most of a basilisk. From what I have heard of this creature, it is said that its gaze and breath can turn people to stone. Did you find any statues near said beast? I don't know what it is exactly.

Sincerely,
Anonymous."
[Image: DGBpqSL.png]
You ponder your message for a while, before picking out the other scroll within the box, and a pen from your kitchen bench, beginning to scribe your reply.

Dear Runicio,

I am afraid you've reached the wrong person. I am not this Nikalov guy, and I don't know anything about this world that you speak of. You may want to get your delivery device checked out at some point in the near future.

Perhaps you would like to send me a few objects or reference points to help me get an idea of where you are and if I'm mistaken?

Sorry!
Anonymous.

You finish your letter and as soon as you write it onto the scroll, it goes blank and does a similar thing to what Runicio's message did, appearing back to you in real-time, written in ornate cursive.

Dear Runicio,

I am afraid you have reached the wrong person. I am not this Nikalov fellow, and I do not know anything about this strange world you speak of. You may desire for your lavender deliverance box to be observed by a magical professional in such areas, as it seems to be malfunctioning.

If you wish, I would appreciate some artifacts or clues as to where you are so I could potentially get a bearing of where exactly you are located, and if I know where you are.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
~Anonymous

Hm. Strange, it seems to have been edited somewhat. A little more fanciful, but the core of the message is still there. With a resolved sigh, you place the scroll inside the box, and press the rune again to close the hatch. Nothing seems to happen for a moment, but after about 2 minutes of silence, the box grows two small wooden legs, and hops off your table, running out the door. What in the world?

You had commitments today with Sara but she is obviously not in the mood, so you decide to just spend the day playing some video games and working on a couple of side projects you've got going.

A week passes...

It's that time of the week again, the ol' Sunday slumber. You've made a you-shaped crevice in your bedsheets and the cheese dust on your floor is thick.

Somehow you manage to get up after some furious knocking at the door, and after your morning preparations you find the package, on it's two legs, slamming itself into your front entrance. As you look at it it runs up to you, losing it's legs and returning to a normal, box-like state.

Bringing it inside once more you notice the only difference is a light goo that seems to be covering the entire box, and you feel a slimy, cold sensation as you press the rune to open it.

Inside is another familiar sight. Another sealed scroll, and another blank one for your response. Just as you are opening the scroll, the phone starts ringing, again.
SpoilerShow
Answer the dang phone you miscreant
>Receive voice mail.
You realize that like any decent person you should answer the phone, and manage to grab it just before what you might assume would be it's last ring.

"Wow, look who's up on time?"

"Sara, I'm sorry about last week but I can make it this time! I just have this... weird package situation to sort out."

"Oh yeah, please refrain from telling me about your weird package," She snickers "anyway, I'll be on the corner of Veldune and Hatherway, so meet me there. Don't be late!"

You say your goodbyes and see you soons, before you turn around to see the box staring intently at you, with non-existent eyes. You don't know how you know that it is, but it most definitely is staring at you. Or rather, through you, at the phone. Hm.

Anyway, you decide enough is enough and you sit back down to take a look at the latest scroll. Interestingly enough, this scroll's seal is a slightly different shade of beige, although you're not sure how you know that.

Opening it, the message once again plays in real-time, still to your amazement;

Hello once more, Nikalov!

Wait. Hang on.

Hello once more, Nikalov!
I am writing you as I believe my last box reached the wrong person! What a fool I am, I must have gotten something wrong when inscribing the runes. I have made the necessary corrections, however, and there is no chance it could be wrong now!

Now that I am sure that you are the one reading this, or are at least a relative of Nikalov's after his possible recent death (if so, my condolences), I can say in confidence that... I have forgotten the code for the safe at the Aerstride hilltop. I know we discussed how important it is that we never discuss this again but I dearly need you to confirm that the code is 4-7-2-5, as I would rather not risk life and limb to get up there to simply be wrong all this time. If you are Nikalov's relative, I am dearly sorry but I may have to kill you as per mine and Nikalov's contract.

That is the price of wizardry, though, is it not? At any rate, I have discovered some artifacts of particularly magical portent that were of no use to my studies, and thought you could use some souvenirs while you were away from home. Within the box you shall find (press the 3rd rune, if you've forgotten) an enchanted necklace of stone beads which I cannot discern the use of, and a wooden spoon which, when split in two, will turn into two smaller wooden spoons. They can even reform if you press them together very hard. How useful! I have not named either yet, so you may send some names in your reply, if you think of some.

I have not encountered any particularly dangerous magical beasts that I have not already sent (I lost my sketch of it, damn box) and have been spending most of my time either digging around in the dirt or sitting at the Bosom. Did you know the dirt here smells quite fragrant? It makes archaeology far more palatable. Oh, please do let me know of any particularly interesting locations, as you are far more experienced in this place than I am, and I would love to do more exploration. This dirt smells very good.

I hope you write to me as soon as possible, friend, and if not you your family, so I may learn of their location and kill them as per your request.

Many blessings,
Your most truest friend,
Fatebond partner and fellow Wheelmonger,
Willing cohort in parricide,

~Runicio

Well, fuck. This is not great for you.

Anyway, you chuck the scroll onto your table and head down the street towards Veldune and Hatherway. It only takes you a few minutes, and then you are there, where Sara stands in waiting. Her jeans and denim jacket are a look that she pulls off with some skill, her t-shirt depicting the name of the game you are here to go and play, "Trungeon Rock". She flips you a smug look, which you can only tell by her mouth as her eyes are covered by some cool-looking shades. Her buzz-cut is covered by a yellow cap, which you see the back of as she starts heading down the street.

You hurry to catch up to her, chatting all the way to the game, and afterwards too. The game goes well but you had to spend most of the session catching your troll drummer up. Sara walks you home, and you share a pleasant goodbye as you can tell the tension from last week and prior has eased. The box is waiting for you at the front door.

You head back to your table, pressing the middle rune on the side with 3 runes, and it opens up a larger hatch, from which you grab a wooden spoon and necklace of stone beads. Huh.

You decide to keep them somewhere safe, as you're not sure that you're ready to toy with that kind of power yet.

You should get onto that reply, though.
SpoilerShow
> This Nikalov guy is probably dead, isn't he? Well crud, looks like Runicio could be coming to kill you.

That is, if you're even related to Nikalov in the first place... Maybe you are related, maybe Nikalov is a nickname or something.
>What if the box wasn't wrong? What if your ARE Nikalov, and the box travelled through time to give you the message before you met Runicio, or you're Nikalov's unfortunate descendant chosen by Lady Fate? What's your full name? What if Nikalov is your middle name?
>Inspect beads.
>"I'm not Nikalov and I don't know him, stay away from me you murderous weirdo or I'll call the cops."
Vivian Quest
Tale of a small lizard, crime, and weird biology!
"You still have the wrong person. Also i think you might have the wrong reality as well. I dont know much about magic, since its kind of impossible here, but this Nikalov person probably resides within your own plane of existence, if i had to guess."
(09-04-2018, 05:07 AM)Ten11 Wrote: »"You still have the wrong person. Also i think you might have the wrong reality as well. I dont know much about magic, since its kind of impossible here, but this Nikalov person probably resides within your own plane of existence, if i had to guess."

Well, not completely impossible, since the box works. Just mostly impossible.
>Okay first thing's first, it took two weeks for the proces tosen you anwe and get him ours, so your nswer can wait a few hurs. Go see Sarah first.

>Two, mybe check if you haven't any gret great uncle Nikalov anywhere in your family tree.

>Three, you should probaly include in your answer, when you are ready to give it, a part where you explain that apparenly even magical textos suffer from unprompted spell checking
"Please note that the box seems to be altering some of my words and idioms which might make you think I have a bigger familiarity with the lace youa re from than I truly have."

>Speakng off it bears experimentation. Try writting a few words ike 'telephone, rocket, earth,China, America' on a piece of paper, see if the box changes them if they aren't on parchement.

>.. And if it does, let's check a sneaking suspicion... try putting a paper with your full name on it...