[CLOSED] Species applications

THIS TOPIC IS NOW CLOSED. SEE YOU IN 6+ MONTHS!

Species Submissions

Species submissions have been closed for a long time but now it's time for them to reopen! They won't be open forever though so I'm telling people in advance all about it so no one gets left behind. We'll be using a new system this time around which involves reserving your species name early and getting a code that allows you to edit it to your heart' content.

Because the new system might have a few hiccups please feel free to ask questions or note any bugs you see in this topic.

Please follow the steps below to submit your request for a free species ticket.

How to reserve a ticket and submit your species
1. Check what day your round is in the post below.
2. When your day comes up post on the topic your submitted request application, also seen in the post below.
3. When you get approved take your code that you get via pm and go to the submit area and then to "edit".
4. Put in the name of your species and the code you were provided.
5. Then edit your species. Please make sure to have your species fully finished within 4 edits. Once it looks like it's in a finished state it will be moved to the public submission bin to await approval.

=============
[Image: rwjHVeX.png][Image: 69CsXS0.png][Image: ejuvK4p.png][Image: VBRHq44.png][Image: 2RQ0SBA.png][Image: wtUXrmA.png]
RE: Break the application system so Specie submissions can open
If your day has already passed you're free to submit a request for a ticket until the last request day has passed!

Please note that anything you do from September 9th onwards does NOT count towards this. This is because I want to reward people for past actions, not incite people to, for example, join my patreon so they can submit their species early. If you join my patreon today you will still have to wait for your other group round to submit. Same goes for submitting art.

======================

(Please note that everyone only gets ONE free ticket no matter how many slots they fit under.)

September 9, The Exterminator Wave - For anyone who helped test the submission system. Must have posted in this topic or talked to me in discord!

September 15, The Helper Wave - For all current Patreons.

September 30, The Newbie Wave - For everyone who has NEVER submitted or gotten a species approved before.

October 10, The Artist Wave - For everyone who has submitted and gotten an artwork approve.

October 31, The Halloween Wave - Unleash the monsters of the night, cause the flood gates open on Halloween!

LAST DAY TO SIGN UP FOR A TICKET - NOVEMBER 30

LAST DAY TO FINISH YOUR SPECIES - DECEMBER 10

Q: Why do submission ticket requests in waves?
A: This is because the submission system is extremely new and will likely be prone to bugs and other nasty critters. This is why people who tested the system before get to go first, because they should already expect a chance of total failure. If this goes well doing things in waves will become the norm as it's less stressful in general as well.

That being said. Backup your species before submitting them cause there will be a chance of total failure should a large bug be found.

Application for request
Please do not submit a request application until your date comes up.

Code:
[b]Species name:[/b] (You will need to know what your species name is as you will be unable to change it afterwards.)
[b]Species concept:[/b] (Doesn't have to be too complex. A paragraph will do. I may ask you more questions about the species before giving you a ticket)
[b]What group are you in:[/b] (That being the sign up date group)
[b]Did you read the application rules?:[/b]

========================
[Image: rwjHVeX.png][Image: 69CsXS0.png][Image: ejuvK4p.png][Image: VBRHq44.png][Image: 2RQ0SBA.png][Image: wtUXrmA.png]
I feel like there should be a "mandatory section" thingy (like in Google Forms, if it's not too hard to implement) to prevent you from submitting a completely blank application because I just scrolled down without putting in anything and pressed "submit" and it didn't tell me no so ... idk if it got submitted or not??
i submitted something but it says its not able to handle the request! can't tell if its just me though
There are mandatory sections, if you submit an application without the minimum amount of info it doesn't even give you an error because it assumes that the user misclicked (or in this situation, did it on perpose).

Also I found a rather big bug that affects basically all applications so hold off on trying to break things for a moment
The issue should now be fixed. Everyone can now go back to breaking stuff. Basic bbcode should now be working. If you put
Code:
[b]STUFF HERE[/b]

It should show up as
STUFF HERE

You can also FINALLY put breaks in your paragraph by using [br]

At least it SHOULD WORK hopefully for my sake.

As a small note, I rather not have tests on weird names. Weird text is ok but don't use symbols as names as that would be auto rejected anyway and it makes it harder for you to check your own file to mess with.
I'm not sure if any of these are bugs or not, but after I resized some of the boxes, the name box for the cult and anti-cult moved so they were then next to, and not above, their respective info boxes even though those info boxes weren't the ones I resized. But do note, that this doesn't seem to happen for the boxes under special even though they appear exactly the same as the cult and anti-cult boxes.

I found that if I extended a box all the way to the edge of my window it creates a giant white nothingness above the extended box, especially when I resize my window. Also, there doesn't seem to be a limit to how wide I can make a box, so, that's a thing.

If I shrink the boxes to be only a few lines, and type more lines than are viewable at one time, I have to either use the arrow keys or select what I've written to be able to edit the previous sentences. Of course, you could always just resize the box to be larger, but that seems like it could get out of hand if you wrote too much.

If I expand the physical description box, (or any of the any other ones next to the white column,) to extend past white column next to that section, the header will just be left where it originally was while the input box itself travels down below the white column, leaving a large empty space between the header and the box itself, which might not be a bug, but it looks sort of weird.

Also for the trivia section if I shrink one of the boxes smaller than the others in width, the box below it will be moved so that it's next to the shrunken box instead of below it.
[Image: bmqg8QS.png]

What do you mean "too big"

SpoilerShow

This is a perfectly reasonable application uwu
[Image: 0T9kaDK.png]

On the edit god page you currently have placeholder text instead of info about editing the god
[Image: uIBQxlT.png]
First off...
[Image: unknown.png]
I don't think [Name of Special Trait] is synonymous for [Last Name] (thankfully, it didn't appear as if it autofilled the email anywhere so it might just be Firefox BUT STILL)

NOPE WAIT THERE'S AN ACTUAL BUG. IF YOU HAVE IT AUTOFILL A NAME WHEN YOU SUBMIT THE APP IT AUTOMATICALLY FAILS

Okay so now that I can automatically submit stuff... time to break everything 0ω0

Actual bugs and/or potential bugs found:
  • Tags don't check if they close correctly. So you could make the whole application italicised. Or purple. Or both, if it so behoves you.
  • You can use unicode sequences like > to get a > symbol in there, or the correct code for any character really. This is probably an intended mechanism, but just letting you know.
  • I don't know which all colors are defined, but it's neither anything (with hexcode) or CSS/HTML list. Again, restricting the colorset probably makes sense; no need for 16 million plus ones.
  • Quotes and everything inside of them disappear in some sections on editing. So if you have a trait named like "test", when you first submit it, it will be fine. If you edit it and don't re-type the quotes, the entire trait will vanish.

Things which I tried breaking, but seemed to work right:
  • HTML tags directly and indirectly don't work. So I sadly couldn't make a trait who's description was a link to the RickRoll video.
  • Uh, well, a lot of really stupid out-there stuff that nobody in their right minds would actually do worked so... uh... no need to go through all of them.
🐦🐙🐙[Image: nifOFwR.png]🐙🐙
[Image: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/2...nknown.png]
Oops, I dropped lines on the above text!
EGGS AND UPGRADED EGGSShow

[Image: neocities%20button%20lol.png]

[Image: 47325.png]
Apparently naming a entry "null" and trying to edit it doesn't work
Local pidgeonmancer
(09-02-2018, 03:05 AM)Numbers Wrote: »[Image: unknown.png]
Oops, I dropped lines on the above text!

I'm ok with this. This is a "human error" fix that'd be rejected by hand. I will see if I can at least get special characters rejected from being submitted as a name as it messes with the system (while everything else can have all the special characters it wants as it doesn't mess with the system.

(09-03-2018, 08:46 PM)ProbablyNotRed Wrote: »Apparently naming a entry "null" and trying to edit it doesn't work
I checked and it works just fine, did you make sure to copy and paste the current password correctly when it gave it to you? (It's "2vjvf5tE2U")

(09-01-2018, 04:56 PM)Yaveker Wrote: »On the edit god page you currently have placeholder text instead of info about editing the god

"4. The placeholders are not bugs and will be edited into actual words soon. "
I'll fix that before the next application move.

(09-01-2018, 02:11 PM)bappitybapcat Wrote: »Box heck.

One of these is a bug while the others are just ok, aka it's the user's choice to do the thing and it's working as intended, the user just is doing something strange but not harmful. I'll fix up the bugs on this one.

(09-01-2018, 02:27 PM)Dorsidwarf Wrote: »[Image: bmqg8QS.png]

What do you mean "too big"

I'll see if I can get applications to be rejected if any entries are unreasonably huge.

(09-01-2018, 08:40 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »First off...
[Image: unknown.png]
I don't think [Name of Special Trait] is synonymous for [Last Name] (thankfully, it didn't appear as if it autofilled the email anywhere so it might just be Firefox BUT STILL)

Alas this seems to be a baffling firefox issue. It thinks "specialname" = Last Name, but for whatever reason doesn't think "name" = Name which is really weird! You'd think it'd want to autofill name while it was at it. If it becomes a major issue I will change specialname to something else.

(09-01-2018, 08:40 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »NOPE WAIT THERE'S AN ACTUAL BUG. IF YOU HAVE IT AUTOFILL A NAME WHEN YOU SUBMIT THE APP IT AUTOMATICALLY FAILS

This is actually because you do end up giving your email to the site, even though you don't see it by auto filling. Basically the application got flagged as a bot because it gave the site an email when it wasn't suppose to, or be able to.

(09-01-2018, 08:40 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »Actual bugs and/or potential bugs found:
[*]Tags don't check if they close correctly. So you could make the whole application italicised. Or purple. Or both, if it so behoves you.

This is a bug. It will likely be fixed by hand if I can't figure out an automatic system.

(09-01-2018, 08:40 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »[*]You can use unicode sequences like > to get a > symbol in there, or the correct code for any character really. This is probably an intended mechanism, but just letting you know.

Yep, intended.

(09-01-2018, 08:40 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »[*]I don't know which all colors are defined, but it's neither anything (with hexcode) or CSS/HTML list. Again, restricting the colorset probably makes sense; no need for 16 million plus ones.

Yep the colorset is currently restricted to red, blue, green, yellow, purple. I'll put that in a guide when things are spruced up as the limited color pallet can be confusing.

(09-01-2018, 08:40 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »[*]Quotes and everything inside of them disappear in some sections on editing. So if you have a trait named like "test", when you first submit it, it will be fine. If you edit it and don't re-type the quotes, the entire trait will vanish.

Oh that is...weird. I'll see if I can fix that. I'll pm you on discord if I need a walkthrough on how to break it.

(09-01-2018, 08:40 PM)Kíeros Wrote: »[*]HTML tags directly and indirectly don't work. So I sadly couldn't make a trait who's description was a link to the RickRoll video.

This will also be in the guide. Not all tags work, only the basic ones like br, b, i, etc.

=========

Thank you for all of the reports! I'm going to get things fixed up and then open another application section to be tested!
Fixes / edits made
- Names now are rejected if not alphanumeric or "-" "_" or " ".
- Instead of names being trimmed if over 13 characters long they are now rejected to prevent errors and confusions.
- That quotes erase certain inputs after editing bug should be gone now.
- Fixed the box issue that was a bug.
- The placeholder text is now removed and replaced with actual info.

Tell me if you see anything not working. I took out any bugs I saw but there still might be a few laying in waiting.

Everything has been wiped clean and now it's on to the next application to get a cleaning, Planets!

Toss in a fake application and tell me how it goes. If you don't run into any bugs or mismanaged info then please tell me! Also please tell me if you don't encounter any bugs cause that means I can move on to the next submission area soon!
Yeah, i think i input the wrong code.
Local pidgeonmancer
Fauna applications are now in testing as well. Like before I tested it as well but more eyes checking it would help.

Now moving on to converting the legendary app and species app.

Edit: All applications except achievements, items, and traits have been moved over so feel free to poke at anything but those 3.
RE: Species application opening! (Wave 1)
Wave 1 of species application requests is now open! Thank you to everyone above and discord who did troubleshooting for me, you may now request your species ticket.
RE: Species application opening! (Wave 1)
Species name:A.S.H.A.D.I
Species concept: its the robot species I showed you who are a network of targeting algorithms but it accidentally made a person. As the number of devices in their system increases or falls, so too does their intelligence
What group are you in: The :b: movie carries me into the Wave 1 September 9 group
Did you read the application rules?: yes
[Image: 0T9kaDK.png]

RE: Species application opening! (Exterminator Wave)
Species name: The Neighbors
Species concept: Super ancient species of golems that can body-hop between each body. Used this to travel through space a slower than light speed. Have only known each other and space rocks for eons and are absolutely enamored with pretty much everything they come across
What group are you in: The Exterminator Wave
Did you read the application rules?: Yes
Species name: Phylum
Species concept: It's a sentient plant that scavenges discarded pieces of glass and plastic to make a body of its own. It usually makes a humanoid body, but it can really be anything it wants, though that doesn't mean that it can make a avian body that is capable of flight or anything like that, it's mainly just an appearance thing. It can communicate with others using its small flowers that it can light up, or with sign language if its body is capable of such.
What group are you in: Wave 1 September 9 group thanks to some box shenanigans
Did you read the application rules?: Yup
@Dorf + Feude: Code sent.

@bappitybapcat: As long as it's clear that it looks like a pile of plastic and glass twisted into the shape of whatever it wants to be that's fine, else it would fit under the "no transformation" rule in effect for this round. Your code will be pmed in a second.
Um... I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way, but for species submissions there's no box for putting the species' patrons. It just has the god info and gods boxes.
Oh yes I forgot but patrons are being phased out this round as it's confusing to keep up with patrons as gods get added. So now the species / patron relationship only exists on the god pages instead.
Species name: Fhelzo
Species concept: A nanite species where the whole societal structure is based around a company set up, with the C.E.O. being the president. Also each fhelzo from a specific job, e.g. manager, has the same base personality and past memories as everyone else in that job group. Every so often all fhelzo of a specific job, managers in this example, are killed and their past memories and personality are mixed together to make the next line of managers.
What group are you in: The Exterminator Wave due to trying to do some XSS attempts and not reading the full post.
Did you read the application rules?:Yep
[Image: uIBQxlT.png]
Species name: thuban
Species concept: what if hollywood was run by post scarcity dragon communists
What group are you in: exterminator
Did you read the application rules?: yep
[Image: Cmh4iZA.png]