Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die
RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die
This game can go to hell, and then go deeper
My last Personal Top 5 run ended when I got sent to the Abyss Meloncholy
I had a pretty good run as a Hill Orc Priest where I found a +11,+11 Battleaxe of the Puffin, which definitely makes any sense at all. I died on floor 12 or something, when a bunch of wights and some really nasty boss monster attacked me as soon as I went down the stairs and I kept stopping to try and recall my best orcs. That could've gone better.
Apparently the online version allows you to watch as others play the game. It could be fun. : o
Goddamn orcs.

Killing me every single time I'm doing well.

At least it's not Sigmund anymore.
Oh, cripes.

Pay no attention to what people say about Deep Dwarves - obviously an unlucky early start will screw them over like any character, but their lack of passive HP regeneration is covered by reduction of damage from all sources, very little shit given about poison, a slow metabolism, and a solid Evocation stat to recharge your pre-supplied Wand of Healing, and a couple of gods like Trog or Mahkleb can lend a hand too. (At high piety, Mahkleb restored HP every time I killed something. After running into some trouble down some branches it was just a matter of meandering back into the dungeon and slaughtering wholesale.)

Give them a respectable racial bonus for armour and shields (racial weapons are also a nice thing, and in my run Centaurs and other ranged units didn't have shit on me when I chance-found a Dwarven Shield of Reflect), and you've got a one-man wrecking crew who don't need no pansy magic. Njordbludgeon was chugging along at level 15 when I eventually died due to pure unattentiveness in the Hall of Blades.
First run ever on this game: Muck around with the tutorial, get tired of it by the end of the second one and decide to just dive in.

Play Troll Death Knight named Brogg the 3rd. No particular thought put into class or race here.

Wander around first floor scouring.

Easily trounce every enemy.

Starve to death without reaching Floor 2.

Clearly I need to pay more attention to my hunger.
Haha, trolls

Remember that as a troll, you can eat raw meat at any time and can even eat rotting meat. There's basically no reason to ever not eat an enemy you kill unless it's poisonous or you're already past "Very Full".
My favorite deaths so far are always the ones where the story suddenly takes a turn for the idiotic.

Like the time my Troll Berserker almost went completely braindead after finding a cursed ring of -2 intellect on the first floor.

Or last night's BATTLE OF WITS with Sigmund. And by BATTLE OF WITS, I actually mean "You close the door. Sigmund opens the door. You close the door. Sigmund opens the door. You close the door. Sigmund opens the door." repeated for about 50 turns.

(The battle of wits ended with him casting confuse and stabbing me repeatedly while I failed horribly in my attempts to walk in a straight line down a narrow corridor.)
And thus ends the legacy of Party Cat, Felid of Trog. Killed by roughly 20 centaurs and a whole bunch of orcs deep in the orc mines.

In retrospect I probably should've just gone around. Oh well.
I just started a game as a minotaur. A few seconds later, I walk into a bloodstained room full of minotaur corpses and beef jerky.

I'm not sure whether to be more worried that someone is going around killing specifically minotaurs or that they went to the effort to make them into jerky.
Oh, hey. Party Cat appeared as a vengeful ghost and murdered the hell out of my Draconian Berserker.

The party never stops.
Fact: Earth Elementalists are kickass and the best elementalists (maybe the only ones worth playing even?????)

Fact: I just read the book of annihilations with mine awww yissss
I found out recently that someone has written a very primitive crawlbot, but the only role it can play is felid berserker. It can't deal with equipping/enchanting armor yet but since felids can't equip weapons or armor the bot doesn't have to worry about that. Felid berserker is running at dudes and fighting them, and if they aren't dead going killdudes and if they STILL aren't dead going calldudes. And if you die you probably died later on and have a life or two to spare.

[for the nonsavvy reader, berserk and brothers in arms respectively]

I have never confirmed this in the game source or what have you but I get this darned feeling that Felids are more likely to become ghosts. Which would mean copious amounts of partycat to come.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
O:

:O

Trog Demands Blood! Trog Demands Blood! Trog Demands Blood! [Image: winnerdotping.png] Trog Demands Blood! Trog Demands Blood! Trog Demands Blood!
Daaaaaaaaang. How long did it take to finally pull that off?
The game lasted for just under eight and a half hours and just over ten thousand turns. I may have left the computer sitting on several occasions, I think.

Anyway, it's not actually a REAL real victory, since I was playing Zot defense instead of the actual dungeon crawl, but even that meagre win felt pretty satisfying.
[Image: 18e7b2fb8c820ad19ae04b25a1b74c79.png?1335079330]

[Image: 2481636440ac805be7c7bd63f57e4a1c.png?1335079369]

This seems like a thing that would be okay to happen!
Just played this the first time. Figured I didn't need to read anything.

Well except to get the screen to be a reasonable size.

I died on the first level but at least I learned how to attack things.

Eventually I died enough that I got a prompt:

"Wow you really are new to this!"

"Pick one of these options:"

oh...oh kay I'll be a centaur I guess

"Okay now we will tell you every aspect of the game as you go along"

oh okay.

It was actually kinda neat. I made it to floor 5. when a bunch of slaves swarmed me.

"I SHALL FREE YOU SLAVES! STAND ASIDE AS I DESTROY YOUR MASTER!"

no they just all attacked and then I died. I guess the rule here is "KILL EVERYTHING".

also "Press 'o' to automatically explore the dungeon and pick up interesting items. It stop running on auto if new stairs or enemies come into view."

That part I loved. (o o o o o o FLOOR EXPLORED. NEXT FLOOR)
if you play felid berserker all the buttons you need are a, c, o, and tab.

YOU'RE A SMOKER HARF ARF HARF HARF
[Image: YmgR1.png]

IT'S BACK
That's a really great axe but I think you're looking for the Hammer of Corporeal Punishment.
It has clearly reincarnated bob. Clearly.

(The status 'chop' on an axe to my knowledge just means 'but better')
[Image: b60ba4cad725d547bae0169f1c6f66a8.png?1339308326]

Wizards!
[Image: Screenshot2012-07-11at14356PM.png]

O u, Okawaru