Eagle Time
Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Chat (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: General Chatter (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+---- Thread: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die (/showthread.php?tid=243)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Schazer - 04-03-2012

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a tile-based dungeon-delving roguelike where you're on a mission to obtain the Orb of Zot.

Blankaloupe Kill creatures! Eat their flesh!
Blankaloupe Minmax to your heart's content!
Blankaloupe Join religions! Smite/Drown/Sick fungus-men onto your foes! Incur divine wrath!
Blankaloupe Summon abyssal horrors from discarded spellbooks! Unequip a weapon of Distortion and go find out for yourself where they live!
Blankaloupe Chug unlabelled potions! Experience paralysis, poison, mutation, and a dozen other fun afflictions when you're scrabbling for a Heal Wounds!
Blankaloupe Fire wands! Blow up your allies, and die when they turn on you!
Blankaloupe Fall down pit shafts! Explore forests, temples, sewers, and more!
Blankaloupe Find enchanted armour and jewellery! Ruin your weapon-switching when the shit is cursed!
Blankaloupe Be a cat! Wear rings on your paws! Or be an octopus and wear eight!
Blankaloupe With over twenty-five character backgrounds, and twenty different races, there's something for everyone - from Spriggan Assassins to Healer Minotaurs to Vampire Monks, and so much more!

Don't delay, fall foul of Grinder, Jessica, Sigmund and other exciting NPCs today!

---

In all honesty, this is a pretty extensive game with a fair bit of variety and re-playability, due to the huge suite of combinations offered by choices in species, backgrounds, and gods to follow. It entails a lot of trial and error and dying, but I assure you it's great fun. Feel free to discuss favourite builds, hilarious deaths, or assorted strategy - or give a shout out to other roguelike games.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Woffles - 04-03-2012

oh me and my brother have ALL these stories for you about this game
he is pretty good
I am pretty

I'm a pretty face.

My brother is actually the one who made the heptagram vault! It is a pretty cool'un

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - SleepingOrange - 04-03-2012

Fuckin' Stone Soup hell yeah

I got a huge number of my ideas for Interra Nex while playing this game. It is, how to say, one of my most favoritest roguelikes, which is one of my most favoritest genres.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Schazer - 04-04-2012

I might take a break from careening round dungeons with hordes of Orc buddies and try out Octopodes again.

E: Welp, I remembered just how susceptible and squishy those bastards are. RIP Blue-Ring, and an additional Fuck You to Sigmund.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Schazer - 04-04-2012

Minotaur is a pretty solid first-timer class (in my humble, never-found-a-single-rune much less cleared the game opinion), although I definitely have a preference for the gimmickier classes like Felids, Octopodes, Tengu, and Spriggans. Picking a species will give recommendations for classes that'd suit that race's abilities, and vice-versa.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - SleepingOrange - 04-05-2012

The only way anyone should ever play is Mummy Wizard.

Ever!

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - SleepingOrange - 04-05-2012

I should probably mention this silliness here.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - btp - 04-05-2012

I guess the other one was just hungrier.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - g0m - 04-06-2012

I don't know if I'd say The Binding Of Isaac is a roguelike...

Wow, I'm the guy who pops up and says that.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - SleepingOrange - 04-06-2012

Isaac is not a roguelike, this is facts. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is more a roguelike than Isaac.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Robust Laser - 04-06-2012

DoomRL is my Roguelike of choice. I'm just bad at trying to figure out everything I can do with most roguelikes that have a million things and every keyboard button does like two different things and blargh.
I mean I enjoy some of the complicated ones assuming they produce hilarious results, like IVAN, in which when I played, I never lasted very long, but didn't need to last very long to have my arm fall off, find a potion to grow a new one, use a magic wand to turn my severed arm into meat, try eating it only for it to go rotten, and die of food poisoning.

But DoomRL I like for being relatively simple, quick to get into, and just a bunch of fun shooting dudes. And sometimes punching dudes if I feel like I'm not doing nearly bad enough.

Also it recently got a graphical update and it just looks and plays better than ever now and I love it.
SpoilerShow

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Schazer - 04-07-2012

Bwahahaha

Pottering around on a second run as a Tengu Conjurer; just wandered across my old Spriggan Warper ghost.

He spammed Summon Butterflies everywhere until the little room we were in was full of them.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Gnauga - 04-07-2012

That's kind of important, though, isn't it? Tiles and turns?

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - SleepingOrange - 04-07-2012

I would argue it is pretty much the most important part of the genre though? Realm of the Mad God has permadeath and I think randomized maps but I certainly wouldn't call it a "multiplayer roguelike". Permadeath isn't the hallmark of a roguelike, just one aspect most share; Isaac just doesn't feel like the same kind of game as most that call themselves, or get called, roguelike.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - btp - 04-07-2012

Why is it called a "rouge like" in the first place? I mean from what I've seen rouges aren't necessarily involved. I've just called games like this "dungeon crawlers".

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - g0m - 04-07-2012

(04-07-2012, 01:56 PM)btp Wrote: »Why is it called a "rouge like" in the first place? I mean from what I've seen rouges aren't necessarily involved. I've just called games like this "dungeon crawlers".

Rogue

Roguelike

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Mehgamehn - 04-07-2012

Really I think the fact that you CAN argue what a roguelike is pretty ironic considering how ironclad the genre's name is

For a more thorough explanation, Rogue was a game developed back in 77 BCE [citation needed]; it wasn't the first game to feature things like permadeath, random dungeons, and tactical turn-based combat, but it did it very well and spawned a wealth of imitators, essentially defining – and lending its name to – the genre it launched into cult popularity.

Which is why I say the Binding of Isaac isn't really a roguelike: it's not much like Rogue at all. But that's a very subjective statement, obviously, and it's not like anyone can actually factually say "This is the most important characteristic of this kind of game", and genre arguments tend to be really stupid anyway. That's just the reasoning behind my totally-personal opinion.

Also, for those of you who read this thread but never checked out Socktopus's adventures, my original run ended in tragedy. Not the kind of tragedy you expect in a game like this, but tragedy nonetheless. Anyway, I've started doing a series of runs as requested by readers, so if you want to drop of a class/race or build suggestion over here, I'd love to have you!

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - ProfessorLizzard - 04-07-2012

Oh dang, this is an amazing game. : 0 My best run has always been with Kobold and Troll berserkers, but I had good runs with naga transmuters and octopode wizards recently.

This is game was the one that inspired me to make a roguelike of my own. (and Dredmor). The sheer uncertainty of your future is stunning! Although I get frustrated quite easily with it, but it is still fun :P

EDIT: Although one thing I can't stand is Hunger. Probably the reason why I play trolls and kobolds most of the time...

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - whoosh! - 04-07-2012

Has anyone ever reached the Orb of Zot? Has anyone actually won this?

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - ProfessorLizzard - 04-07-2012

Looking at the online version's live scoreboard, quite a few did! : O

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Lankie - 04-07-2012

In my infinite wisdom, I decided to go straight into the game looking at none of the tutorials and being a Mummy ice wizard.

AND SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH I died on the first floor.

GOOD START.

Mummies <3

I once had enough runes to get the Orb of Zot and was nearly done with the main dungeon

But this was back on my computer that didn't like Stone Soup much

And sometimes if I pressed a directional key it would try to make me go in that direction for hundreds of turns

This happened in a battle a few times and almost always lead to character death of course but I thought I'd fixed the problem because it stopped happening for a while

But then on my super good run it happened again and killed me to a pack of friggin yaks that I should have been able to kill upside down and blindfolded

I stopped playing for about a year!

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - whoosh! - 04-07-2012

(04-07-2012, 10:15 PM)ProfessorLizzard Wrote: »Looking at the online version's live scoreboard, quite a few did! : O

Well damn. I can't seem to get past floor seven, but according to the wiki there's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

RE: Dungeon Crawl - Where adventurers go to die - Lankie - 04-07-2012

Ok, 2nd attempt. Lizard Man Monk. Pretty cool literally punching everything to death. But then some guy called Edmund killed me on floor 4. G'dang it.