Number Choosing Contest.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number Choosing Contest.
RE: Number Choosing Contest.
I think we have to pass the format rules as well. Which, if I am correct, I have just done.
(05-17-2016, 07:34 PM)a52 Wrote: »I think we have to pass the format rules as well. Which, if I am correct, I have just done.

Yeah, but, if that was the case, Sruix could have just worked their way up the OEIS list but they chose not to for puzzle sanctity reasons. So, it's really their win, imo.

As for rule 1, I noticed that all of the numbers whose digits sum to 4 passed the rule. The rule certainly isn't that, but it would be interesting if that is a unique subset or just a coincidence of the numbers we've chosen.
(05-17-2016, 07:18 PM)a52 Wrote: »holy shiT!
1 nonillion 388 octillion 741 septillion 444 sextillion 313 quintillion 152 quadrillion 705 trillion 354 billion 935 million 65 thousand 649

Congratulations! This passes all rules.

Now everyone votes for the successor.
I vote for Kaynato, with the same rules list, so we can figure out the remaining 2.
I vote for me or btp with the exception that Kaynato reveals the rules, otherwise I vote for Kaynato.
Rules:

Rule 1: Expressed in ternary form, the number must definitely have MORE ONES than EITHER TWOS OR ZEROES.
Rule 2: The difference between the number and the closest prime is larger than 5.
Rule 3: Expressed in base 2, the digits of the number are palindromic.
Rule 4: The number is definitely a positive nonzero integer.
Rule 5: The number is a perfect square whose decimal digits do not sum to exactly 1.

Rule R: No pure numeral format. (That is, plaintext numbers without positional formatting or other symbols aside from other basis such as i j k, etc.)
Rule U: Cannot share the format of a number that has already been posted on the same page. (25 posts per page, 1-25, 26-50,...)
Rule V: Multiple numbers must be submitted with spacing between each distinct numeral at least twice the space between the digits of a single numeral. Single digit numerals have 'infinite spacing.'
I was really close on rule one, I was just using the wrong base system.

edit: i'm changing my vote to sruix, because he did most of the heavy lifting.
(05-17-2016, 07:38 PM)btp Wrote: »
(05-17-2016, 07:34 PM)a52 Wrote: »I think we have to pass the format rules as well. Which, if I am correct, I have just done.

Yeah, but, if that was the case, Sruix could have just worked their way up the OEIS list but they chose not to for puzzle sanctity reasons.

This was the case, yeah. My plan was to get rule 1 and then hope that cut some off my list. As it happens, the very first one passes it, so I would have been fine. I was going to look more at bases this evening, but never mind. It's worth noting that I would have also been screwed on the formatting rules because I was not really paying attention to them, so there would probably still have been a rush at the end to try and get everything perfect. In that respect, a52 was ahead of me.

I don't really mind who goes next, so long as they fancy doing so. I could put something together if people would like that.
I'd be up for that, Sruixan, though I do have some ideas for an especially terrifying round with rules much harder than the previous. Only singular stipulations, though.
You must be registered to view this content.
For example, if I was to submit 9 and 12,

1+2+3+3
10 plus 2

This would break rule V.

However,

1+2+3+3

10 plus 2

Would not.
(05-17-2016, 08:51 PM)Sruixan Wrote: »I don't really mind who goes next, so long as they fancy doing so.

In that case, I'm putting myself up for nomination.
(05-17-2016, 10:24 PM)a52 Wrote: »
(05-17-2016, 08:51 PM)Sruixan Wrote: »I don't really mind who goes next, so long as they fancy doing so.

In that case, I'm putting myself up for nomination.

If you've got some ideas ready, I have no objections.
Looks like two for a52. Is everyone on board?
go 4 it!
Yeah, you may as well - turns out my three rules ideas have a disappointingly trivial (but not empty!) intersection, so I can't cobble something together out of them right now...
Okay, give me ~24 hours.
You must be registered to view this content.
RULES:
In order to win, a number must pass five prerequisites and five rules.

A number will not be considered for rule judgement unless it first passes all prerequisites.

The prerequisites (marked α, β, γ, δ, and ε) are ordered by strictness (and should usually be passed unless you are TRYING to break them). The rules (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) are ordered roughly by difficulty, with 1 being the easiest/most obvious and 5 being the most difficult.

And as a hint: there are nine fully-passing numbers below 1000000.

i

Breaks rules 2, 3, 4 and 5.
(05-18-2016, 03:22 AM)btp Wrote: »1

1:
Breaks rules 3, 4, and 5
2:
Breaks rules 2 and 4