"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)

"I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
RE: "I didn't even know I was hungry" (The Food Appreciation Thread)
That looks incredible.
[Image: WFQLHMB.gif]
I appreciate pesto pizza with sliced tomatoes and bacon.
[Image: WFQLHMB.gif]
Just remembered why I had Custard Vlaa in my paste memory. It is because it is so good. [Image: Pixel%20Heart%20Small.png]
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I made pork ramen. It took nearly two hours and I have no regrets.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
Which parts of it did you make?
The broth and pork chunk stuff (which also had ginger, garlic, mushrooms). I just bought the noodles.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I'm impressed you didn't just eat the ginger, garlic, and mushrooms, considering that's a solid set of ingredients right there already. That, or I should be disappointed in myself that I'd get lazy and stop at that point.

This is coming from someone who took almost two hours (until 1.30am) to make a plate of eggs last night so my admiration is of negligible value lmao
Schazer Wrote:I'm impressed you didn't just eat the ginger, garlic and mushrooms, considering that's a solid set of ingredients right there already. That, or I should be disappointed in myself that I'd get lazy and stop at that point.

When I first read this, I interpreted it as you just eating raw garlic, ginger, and mushrooms, and I thought you might be some sort of tolerance god. Also, that isn't lazy, just meeting immediate demands of the body. I've been hungry enough to eat ketchup chips. Willingly. And that grub is disgusting.

I am not sure how eggs could take beyond 30 minutes, unless you baked them in the oven or something, but consider me impressed.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
It mostly entailed a good prior hour of cleaning my kitchen to a habitable state where I could actually make the damn eggs.
I'm making a spiced devils food cake. The recipe showed up on the local new website a week or so ago and i took it as a sign (that i would get fatter).

Anyway i had to buy star anise for it, so its going to be fun finding other recipes to use that in to unclog the spice drawer. I got interrupted by my stepdad making dinner halfway through making it so i'm just sitting at the breakfast bar surrounded by nice smelling ingredients. I have high hopes for this! :>

Update with pictures in a couple hours.

OH and on an unrelated note, i'm writing down a few of my mum's recipes to take to europe with me so i don't have to send her tragic emails asking for them when i get there :v I figure while i'm doing that i'm going to illustrate them and make a wee recipe zine. Would anyone be interested if i posted the results in here as i go?
[Image: WEdy1pW.png] [Image: cyTsdj6.png]
[Image: 30058_799389.png]
Update: cake good

[Image: IMAG0906.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0903.jpg]
I MADE THE PERFECT LASAGNE. A LASAGNE SO GOOD I CRIED.

HERE IS THE RECIPE. MAKE IT.

You will need:

White cheese sauce (I used stuff from a sachet that you like add milk for.)

2 small onions (or 1 big onion)
2 tins of choppoed tomato.
1 green sweet pepper.
1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
1 clove garlic.

1/3 a big pack of beef mince. (You can also use haggis for this, if you can find it, but I'm not sure they'll do that in weird countries that aren't scotland.)
Vegetable stock cube.
Sage
Basil
Oregano
Crushed Chilis
Rosemary
Smoked paprika (optional)
Bay leaf (also optional. I didn't use it when I made it last night but I'm going to try it out next time I make it.)
Flour

Pasta (any kind but I prefer shells)

A saucepan (2 if you're making the cheese sauce from a sachet)
Casserole dish.

Fry the onions, peppers, mince and garlic in a small amount of oil in the pan until the mince is fully browned and the onions are sort of golden-browny and see-through.
Add the chopped tomatoes. This is a good time to put your cheese sauce on, unless you're using that stuff you get from a jar, which is better than the crappy sachet stuff I used.
Add the vegetable stock cube, before adding a tablespoon of rosemary, a teaspoon of oregano, a sprinkle of crushed chillis, and a teeny tiny bit of sage. You can also crush the bay leaf up and put it in now if you're using that.
Then stir in a teaspoon of flour and pour a bunch of pasta into the pot. Don't bother like... Making it in another pot or waiting for it to get soft or anything it'll get cooked in the oven anyway.
Bring to a boil, stirring continously, then leave to simmer until reduced down a little, or until your cheese sauce is done.
Once that's done, pour the pasta/veggies and shit into the casserole dish, pour the sauce over it, and then just put it in the oven at 200C for 45 minutes, and presto.
Best lasagne.

It's kind of complicated to make but it's SUPER GOOD TRUST ME.

Should have 4 servings or so, or 2 if you're not eating anything else with it.
Eggplant Parmesan. So good.

RECIPE I USED
Sig:
SpoilerShow
It's steamed buns season again in convenience stores, yaaaaaaay

Also that eggplant parmesan looks kickin' rad, I'm going to have to try make that at some point. Should probably start with figuring if/when eggplants are in season.
I made lava cake from a recipe I've been using (and perfecting) since I was 10. It was glorious, and this is probably the best one I've made yet.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
What would you recommend for a cheap breakfast? I don't want to have eggs every morning and a sandwich or cereal won't get me through the whole morning.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
my name is dalm and im here to say
put spaghetti in tortillas every day.
For a cheap, quick, and tasty food idea: Stewed Chickpea/Tomato creation. I don't know the original recipe name, but you basically take a can of chickpeas (drained) and a can of tomatoes (not drained) and you put them into a pot and heat them. Tasty with stirred in pepper and/or cumin and/or tumeric. I have also heard frying up garlic and adding it is tasty, but cannot verify.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
If you want to make it into a curry: Fry onions, add the tomatoes, add cumin, tumeric AND garam masala, then one that's cooked for 5 minutes or so to make the spices fragrant then you add a tin of coconut milk/cream and the chickpeas. Add lemon juice and salt to taste, plus pretty much whatever veges you have lying around. Simmer until veges are done (half an hour or so probably, since things cook slower in tomato) or over an hour if you want them + the chickpeas to go nice and soft and delicious. You should add some chilli at the spices stage if you want a proper spicy curry but it still tastes pretty good at white people tier. Chilli flakes are also good to add to individual plates if you're cooking for people who don't do spicy (like my Mum whenever i cook :v )

Bam! Curry from scratch. I usually use potatoes and carrots as the veg because they take the flavours well, they're cheap and we often have them in the garden.
I bow, defeated.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
a good basis for like loads and loads of curries is ginger, garlic, cumin, cayenne and coriander, but turmeric, fenugreek and garam masala are also super useful.
I add ginger and garlic to cooked things whenever I can (because they are so good in basically anything!). I have the fortune of owning a garden, so I get fresh garlic every year.

I have never heard of fenugreek.
Sig:
SpoilerShow
does anyone know good websites for cooking recipes?
Made Plaid's Upgraded Curry. My mouth is burned and my belly is full; I have no regrets.

Also I added dried Mango powder and cinnamon to make it sweet and spicy. (I ate it with rice)
Sig:
SpoilerShow
I COOKED GROUND BEEF AND VEGGIES AND IT WAS GOOD AND I DIDNT FUCK UP AND MY MOM LIKED IT RIP ME