Classical Music Snob Committee

Classical Music Snob Committee
RE: Classical Music Snob Committee

A lot of people don’t seem to be aware of any but the first movement of the “Moonlight” Sonata. It’s not their fault; it’s what they’ve gotten through pop culture. But not only is it usually played slower than indicated and with too many pedal releases,* it really gives short shrift to Beethoven’s instruction to attacca subito il seguente because it’s, like, “Was that first bit too moody? Need a hug? I found us a little string quartet here with some fresh chamber music....”

Of course, it is not with noble intentions that Beethoven does this for us, as he fully intends to kick our asses with the third, which is the one here. I can never quite find a recording of it that really matches what I hear when I read the sheets, but this one gets pretty close, and besides, I can’t play nearly that well.**

* “Please take Beethoven very seriously. [beat] Very good composer.”—Andras Schiff

** But this one time I was practicing and my “activity tracker” device interpreted that as outdoor biking It's Larry!
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
For me, lately, it's been Berg's Lyric Suite.

Here it is, played by the Juilliard String Quartet (a little fast and the record is scratchy, but I love these guys, every recording by them I've heard has so much atmosphere).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU_HIvMXSM8

This piece is such a mess of emotions - desire and languor and desperation, all ending in DOOM. Hahaha so romantic. Berg was such a tortured artist and that's why I love him.
Have I mentioned that I love Dvorak's American String Quartet? Because I love Dvorak's American String Quartet.

Oh wait, Kieros already posted this exact video. Here, have this as well. ...Which I already posted the third movement of. Whatever.

Chopin's Nocturne No. 2, the second movement of Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique, and Liebestraum No. 3 by Lizst are different expressions of the same subject.
Hmm. It's been so long since I've posted in this thread that the bbcode has changed and half the embeds are broken. Anyway, here's these:

Bach - Fantasia and Fugue in G Minor

Arvo Part - "Fratres"
this is so seriously my shit

🐦🐙🐙[Image: nifOFwR.png]🐙🐙