Music

Poll: Your musical genre?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.23%
31 35.23%
No
21.59%
19 21.59%
All of the above
43.18%
38 43.18%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music
RE: Music
Aw yeah, that is a cool mash-up. Except for the unnecessarily constant disk scratching.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
feeling glitchy & hoppy

SpoilerShow
This is so 80s but it feels so good

SpoilerShow
Oh shit he did a track with Patrice Rushen on that album and it's good

SpoilerShow

Patrice's voice with a vocoder behind her kinda reminds me of GLaDOS

related: Supes, what are your opinions on Future Shock? I... understand why people consider it important, but I don't like it at all.
Damn, that sounds fantastic for a vocoder, than - I assumed it was just multitracked over her dry vocal. That's cool!

Also: Ha, I actually stumbled upon a copy of Thrust on vinyl the other day too, but I didn't think any of my rekkid-collecting friends around here would like it.

I like that cover a lot better, honestly - wonder why they didn't use it?
Not to mention he made Maiden Voyage and played with Miles Davis during one of his most experimental periods. Dude's been everywhere.

I'll never understand jazz purists who hate on Herbie/Duke/Rushen/et. al for branching out into other genres. I think that shows depth.
SpoilerShow

This is really cool
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

I have no idea why I am listening to this right now.
On a late 70s/early 80s Herbie kick now

SpoilerShow

This is so good

It feels like a natural progression from the Headhunters-era stuff, too. I don't get why people thought this was such a huge break from his previous style.

Unfortunate album cover though
the topic is now unfortunate album covers

SpoilerShow

I promise never to post this image again.
SpoilerShow

#dadjams
Supes what do you think of this

SpoilerShow

edit: Larry Heard is the perfect concentration music

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
oh shit unreleased Teena Marie/George Duke collab off his final album

SpoilerShow

(01-19-2014, 06:40 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »More like what do you think of Gil Scott-Heron - Is That Jazz?

I like it! I haven't listened to much Gil Scott-Heron; I need to fix that.
'Kay i don't even know what this game is but Jake Kaufman

SpoilerShow
You wouldn't happen to... y'know. Have more of that tasty cheese lying around, would you?
My eyes literally turned into an 8 and a 0.

I was hoping for more synthpop, actually.
I think I'm developing a soft spot for synthpop. Japan is another good example:

SpoilerShow

David Sylvian of Japan did a collaboration with Ryuichi Sakamoto and it is gorgeous:

SpoilerShow

And of course Talking Heads is good, though I dunno what genre you'd put them under really
Oh wow, I didn't know he played in Zappa's band! That cover kicks ass.

edit: yeah, he was on Zoot Allures and Sheik Yerbouti. I have failed you as a Zappaphile. But Discogs doesn't know this either, apparently.

I can't stop laughing at the deadpan "arfs" but this is a legit funky tune

edit II: dang, he's played with a ton of high-profile people, actually
Black Napkins rules. There's something about Zappa's sloppy, conversational guitar style that I like.

SpoilerShow
i'm wondering how i forgot about shabazz palaces right about now

SpoilerShow

(in case you ever wondered what happened to digable planets)

and while i'm on an experimental hip-hop kick

SpoilerShow
Re 'experimental hip-hop'; Hermitude is pretty cool imo.

SpoilerShow
(01-27-2014, 02:15 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I can't wait for the inevitable rejection of aggressive, noisy music and the move to something harmonic and intricate. It's a long time coming. I thought it was maybe gaining some traction with the mainstream popularity of people like Sharon Jones and Aloe Blacc (and to a lesser extent, Janelle Monáe), but I guess it's not time yet.

I can like both! (Though I'm not quite sure what you mean by intricate, intricate like jazz or classical? That doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with harmonic and pleasant to listen to.) The way I see it it's all part of the music ecosystem. We need the noisy music to sorta push our tolerance for dissonance out so that the toolset for what we consider "harmonic" music expands, or else the augmented fourth and distorted guitars would still be off limits.
While I kinda like Flying Lotus, I can't understand why Death Grips is so popular either. I just don't get why the music criticism world has latched onto them.

SpoilerShow

Been listening to Disclosure a lot - I think they're the only legit house act that's achieved mainstream success lately.

Dig that bassline, that's some Larry Heard shit