One thousand ugly free-user watermarks - Game Maker thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One thousand ugly free-user watermarks - Game Maker thread
RE: One thousand ugly free-user watermarks - Game Maker thread
In regards to resolution, it really depends on what version you're using. I know that GM8.1 and below requires the use of surfaces for smooth stretching but GM Studio does it fine. [I can find some code that'll do that if you need it]

Sprite sizes don't really matter, I use stuff the size of the screen for transitional stuff and whatnot. Well it matters for the engine I use due to how the center works [for stuff that has the point of origin set at the center the length needs to be odd but that's only for my stuff idk about anything else].
Otherwise sprites can be any size you want really. I do recommend keeping related sprites the same size though, like all player sprites can fit in like a 32x32 box or something. Helps keep all the sprites centered and whatnot.

I think that answers your questions 8U
Alright, i was mostly worried about the possibility of awful stretching and slow downs due to high resolutions. Thanks.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
I commend you, Super. This the best game to play when you have time to kill.
What'cha talking 'bout?
Arrrghh confusion. I thought SuperFrequency was the one who made the toadstool game. Did he? Because it kind of looks like it. But I could be horribly wrong and should be cast into a flaming abyss.

EDIT: Yup. Super confusion. I commend... Whoever made the game because I don't know anymore! Melonspa
Uh, yeah, the toadstool game was made by me, my friend MrLL, and my other friend PKBT. Thanks anyway though!
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.
Really Sorry super, I must have you know I am absolutely terrible with pronouns. Melonspa

I would most likely earn the Stupidity award in the field of Pronouns and Idiocy.

[REDACTED FOR MORAL INTEGRITY] only now do I remember where I got the link from...!

Also, Suggestion: Hard mode: Boss has more health and there are NO CHECKPOINTSSSS
(04-03-2013, 01:12 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »My game is Erinys Hand.

Wait wait wait hold on, i swear i read that as "my name is erinys hand", i chuckled and closed the tab. Now it doesn't say that and there's no edited message. What the heeeell?!?
(04-03-2013, 12:41 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »Arrrghh confusion. I thought SuperFrequency was the one who made the toadstool game. Did he? Because it kind of looks like it. But I could be horribly wrong and should be cast into a flaming abyss.

EDIT: Yup. Super confusion. I commend... Whoever made the game because I don't know anymore! Melonspa

So what you're saying is

you can't give credit

e: wow those replies happened too fast for me, I'm slow like a turtle

Also I Game Maker but I don't really finish stuff :x I do well with the code but once I get to the other parts like art and sound design my projects tend to teeter off because I'm bad at those parts and the lack of progress frustrates me.
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
Pretty sure that's all of us

We don't all have Kitteneater cutifying our shit up for the world
(04-03-2013, 03:19 AM)Pick Yer Poison Wrote: »
(04-03-2013, 12:41 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »Arrrghh confusion. I thought SuperFrequency was the one who made the toadstool game. Did he? Because it kind of looks like it. But I could be horribly wrong and should be cast into a flaming abyss.

So what you're saying is

you can't give credit

See this guy's got it right but whoops, I accidentally GAVE CREDIT A HORRIBLE TRAVESTY *edits previous message* YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME ALIVE COPPAZZ
TigSource has a nice thread with some Game Maker Tutorials here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3142.0

If some of you are looking for help in making GM games the thread there might be able to help. :0
I just entered my GM game into Ludum Dare Melonspa
Ah, good job!
Me and some friends are making a game for the LD game jam too.
'S coming along nice, I think.
[Image: screenshotdog.png]
This is what mine looks like.
I'm severely disappointed that I only found out about LD's time-frame now. :C
Yeah, I tend to completely miss LD whenever it happens.

also my friends stopped caring after the first day
I have that a lot too. My game was made in 3 hrs, because I found out late and didn't have more time. 3h in a 48h contest.
(03-30-2013, 10:23 PM)Ed Wrote: »So, guys, can anyone instruct me about what resolutions work best for gm? I've read some things about the screen not stretching properly or the game running too slow. Also spirte sizes, can i go crazy and make objects the size of the screen? Should i use only even numbers so they re-scale properly?

There's a screen resolution fix that 95% works for the GM 7 and 8 series by ChevyRay that deals with surfaces on TIGsource I believe. I've personally implemented it into my RPG just fine and if I'm not mistaken, you can see it put into action with the original Spelunky. The only thing is any view actions that you would normally control in the Room interface no longer function normally (i.e. view scaling and object following). However, these can be pretty easily programmed into the game.

The other "5%" depends on whether or not a computer can handle surfaces. Most after-y2k computers can, but if not, I think there's a built in option to turn surfaces off?

The tutorial and code is over here:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3142.0

There are a variety of other super useful tutorials in that link. It's worth checking out.
Thanks, Mr.LL linked me to that ChevyRay tutorial before and it appears to work fine :>
So hey GM dudes, do any of you know where i can find any kind of advice for background stuff? Like just general advice regarding object size, tilesets, foreground stuff, etc.
The visual side of Gamemaker is not my forte, so I probably couldn't tell you anything that googling and the help buttons can't already.

But for making actual, interactable objects part of the background/foreground, you're gonna want to set that instance's depth. The higher the depth, the farther back it is. When an object of 0 depth is placed upon an object of 1 depth, the object of 0 depth will always be placed on top.

So if you have DA HERO walking along a bush:

Hero Depth 0
Bush Depth 1
WHAT HAPPENS: Hero walks by bush, player sees him

Hero Depth 1
Bush Depth 0
WHAT HAPPENS: Hero walks behind bush, player can't see him

You are free to use negatives and its recommended that, during the development stages, that you leave some room inbetween (Like setting the depths in multiples of threes, so that later on if you find something that you want to fit between the hero and the bush, you can just fit it in at a 2 to the Hero's 0/Bush's 3). Any time the depth isn't set, I believe its the object created last that is placed on top.
So after some time, I rediscovered this rather fun program. Following a juggling sequence, I was able to get an older license upgraded all the way to a Studio: Professional license. Got some of the exports to work, so that should be a fun undertaking in the future.

And admittedly I remembered my poor spriting skills, only to then recall my ability to use particles. Here's something I threw together in about a half hour:

Show Content

So hopefully I can get back to speed with GM and produce something rather fun and playable.
[Image: c48AoKl.png?1]
I make game: site | itch
I feel this is as good of a time as any to come back here and maybe start posting here more often?? probably not but let's go with it.

ANYWAYS HI GM THREAD

I decided to work on a pokemon clone in GM:S last night and here is a gif of the current progress:

[Image: DuckweedHypeGif.gif]

So far I have
-Attacks!
-Stat-changing attacks! [so intense]
-Types! [STAB included!]
that's a really basic list of what I've managed to do so far, but I started last night so making good progress I think.

I'll maybe start a thread for this at a future point. I'll see.

[props to KittenEater for letting me use Duckweed sprite from an older pokemon-like project we tried working on like a year or so ago]
I remember GM. It was a project a long time ago, sundered by the distanc-

A fanmade extension of An Untitled Story by Matt Thorson, named "An Untitled Story: Extension Project" which involved a whole lot of ambition and eventually not so much work.

I'm hoping to extricate a bunch of the stuff I made from it (for the fact that this project died about five years ago) and figure out the mechanics.

Towards the end of the project, the killing blow was the inability of the game to properly save the additional information along with the standard game's data.

Here is the file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2607...oryEP6.gmk

Here are the additional resources: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2607...P/AUSEP.7z

If it's completely fine, it would be rather nice if (in any way) the checksum issue could be resolved, if only to close this old chapter permanently.