This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
I'll give a quick summary of that.

Basically, not long after Problem Sleuth wrapped up, and just before Homestuck started, a few people made adventure threads in the MSPA discussion forum. The admins made the MSPAFA subforum so they wouldn't clog up the discussion section.

They then proceeded to more or less ignore that subforum and it took months of prodding to get them to do anything, such as making new subforums.

Then NAS became an admin, and things got worse. This largely happened because NAS has a talent for making his incompetence come across as malice.

"Supporting the brand" was one such example. It came up in a discussion thread on setting up a separate subforum for Homestuck adventures, because damn there are a lot of those nowadays. I can't remember the exact quote, but it stood out for its stupidity and so we still remember that phrase to this day.

I don't know how that ties into what Wheat and Jac are talking about, I missed that whole event.
Personally, i have nothing of importance to lose if mspafa disappears. I used to have a huge emotional attachment to it since it was the place that gave me the opportunity to start and grow up as an artist, but i got over it. The wonderful friends i made there are still here and that's what matters the most to me, everything else is just a nostalgic archive of all our time spent together. It would be sad to see it go, yes, but i can do fine with just the memories.

All that nonsensical chatter about the cold corporate benefits of maintaining mspafa and how it would affect the promotion of the IP and the brand is tragically hilarious to me, that's why i always poke fun at it.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Those posts just come across as super backward? I mean if you want to build a community, you start it based around a thing and then let people talk/interact over other mutual interests and things, not shut out everything but the original drawing point.
Does... does he really think there's something unreasonable about a general chat thread? How the heck is that a "luxury"? You rarely get forums without those. If one isn't provided, thread drift will produce it anyway in short order. The exceptions to that would have to be either forums that are mostly/completely unused, or that are run like police states and therefore not worth using.
Did MSPA forums adventures kill his aunt or something? He seems like he has some deep-down personal grudge. I just... I really don't get it.

Anyway, I have Parallels/Perpendicularities and Take a Dive to lose, and I wouldn't at all mind hanging on to that old Dfaran Drops Moon Rocks on Everyones' Heads thing I did, not to mention all the cool not-by-me adventures I never got around to reading, or might enjoy re-reading, or whatever. Probably other stuff, too, that I'm forgetting. So I hope it doesn't go anywhere.

EDIT: I guess Wheat's explanation is as good as any.
Oh, okay, I got the impression you were referring to something more recent.

But yeah, it's a perfect example of what I mean about his incompetence coming across as malice. Heck, I'd say he's actually close to a point with that first post, and maybe even overall. The growing divide between MSPA Discussion and MSPAFA (specifically, most of the people who post in the general chat thread) happened, in large part, because the admins didn't give a damn. Which meant the problems just kept growing on their own.

But the entire time, even as he approaches saying "we really dropped the ball here", he sounds like he's making veiled threats and passing judgement on us for... I'm not even sure what, exactly. For talking about video games and being concerned that one particular type of adventure might be starting to crowd out the others?

The thing is, he doesn't even realize that. He just doesn't seem to have the slightest idea how he comes across. It made him a terrible spokesperson.

Fortunately, he's resigned now. I don't expect this to ultimately make the MSPA forums a better place when they eventually return, but at least we're less likely to see infuriating posts like the ones above.
Oh man, i just remembered our ineffectual attempt to divide the white noise and the actual content that only lasted like two days. "Quick chat, Slow chat" pfft; also, the "bread owned" gang. I am so grateful we have this place now.
Another forum i was on had an entire forum devoted to pointless shit posting, basically, which fostered it's own (extremely strong and friendly) sub community and reduced pointless stuff in other topics. Easier to just accept it's going to happen.
I've been trying to formulate my own commentary/whatever on it, and my overarching impression is a) that shit got acrimonious because people (myself included) take the sanctity of Internet Hangouts too seriously, or b) whoooooo cares*.

*This is not me saying "this conversation bores me shut up and/or change the subject". In fact, I'm torn between 2¢'ing on how the situation played out, and realising it is really trivial and not very interesting and coming to the conclusion that people and groups are the two hardest things in this universe to change.

I personally am cool with (by which I mean currently completely ambivalent about) any changes in "post quality" on this forum, because quality is completely arbitrary and I expect you guys to set your own standards for what you're ok with and not. I'm just here to make sure you all behave yourselves while doing so. My only beef will be when a particular group is resistant to change, compromise, or ultimately dialogue on the topic of acknowledging conflict's existence altogether.

Wheat: A minor gripenitpik, but I'm finding a lot of your paragraphs need multiple read-overs for me to click and determine your message. I can't for the life of me tell whether my reading comprehension is slipping, or my brain's literally scrabbling for commas in your prose where there really shouldn't be any.
Eeeeeeeeeeurgh

red bull on an empty stomach is n/good
(03-09-2013, 10:57 AM)Schazer Wrote: »I'm just here to make sure you all behave yourselves while doing so.

So you're not here to shoot the shit with us? You sound like a police officer or something, honestly, if it was necessary to keep an eye on everyone so we can behave properly this place would be a lot less pleasant. I'm up for the idea of the community self moderating itself, or not moderating anything at all since it's not necessary like it has been so far.

After going to sleep i realized i do have things to lose if mspafa disappears in the form of all the cool adventures that aren't available elsewhere, if it goes back up again i'll make sure to mirror all my faves.

This might seem a little paranoid but...
What if they're taking so long because they're editing ALL the adventures to be homestuck ones!?!?!??!?!?
Um. I'm not sure what to make of this.

[Image: DANCE.png]

Why is the forum telling me to dance?
(03-09-2013, 08:06 PM)Dragon Fogel Wrote: »Um. I'm not sure what to make of this.

[Image: DANCE.png]

Why is the forum telling me to dance?

Ahh, they must be at the ritual sacrifice part of the update. At least a quarter of the userbase must do the traditional dance in order to placate the vBulletin gods. (I'm assuming Rincebrain is going to be doing the whole goat bit himself.)
[Image: f8d3c2d4d0ccb5adb7abfef163df44d2.png]
Mystery solved
I'm sorry, Jac. We will have to execute you before you say something similar about Pines.
Too late Ed, the upcoming downtime is now being extended to three weeks out of preemptive spite.
(03-09-2013, 07:45 PM)Phish Wrote: »This might seem a little paranoid but...
What if they're taking so long because they're editing ALL the adventures to be homestuck ones!?!?!??!?!?

We need to know what this would look like. Just to be prepared.
Oh man, I can hardly wait to get back to reading such wonderful adventures as Sburbworks, Dominationstuck, and You Are About 10 Seconds Away From Being Crushed By A Meteor.
Let me be the first to say

this wasn't worth three weeks
Where is the media subforum

where is it
Been merged with Games and Webcomics??
https://www.mspaforums.com/forumdisplay....Discussion
Quote:As you may have noticed, the Forum Games and Roleplay forums are now in a specific “Deprecated” section. These forums have been steadily growing for a long time, and we no longer have the required numbers of staff needed to keep up with the whole site. To that end, these two forums will be retired soon, as we believe they are not best served remaining at the MSPA Forums.

Without the staff necessary for proper oversight, and housed on a site that does not specifically cater to those types of activities, these forums are not maintained as they should be. We do believe that these forums would be well-served off site, as their own forum system, and we would love to work with a representative or a small group of representatives from these forums if there is anything we can do to help make that happen. Should there be new forums, we would absolutely be on board with discussing legitimate affiliation when the time comes.

WELL THEN.
And Phish was actually in the ballpark - MSPAFA has been moved into the "MSPA" section of the forums. It's in the same section as MSPA Discussion.

As if we didn't already have enough problems with it being perceived as "a forum for Homestuck fanventures".

So, expect Nopor Puss to start up over here in the near future. I don't think I have any other adventures over there I particularly care about that aren't already over here.

Edit: Oh, Bee Puns Text Adventure. Might as well bring that over here too.
I am a little worried about the future of Eagle Time.
The new layout hurts my eyes