Ride on the Magic School Bus! (Teacher Talk)

We have a lot of teachers (and many more students) here at eagle time. I think it's a pretty swell and rewarding career and it is one of those topics that you can get me talking about in a lot of detail without much effort.

So lets talk about it! Are you a teacher and had a great lesson or time with your students? Do you need to vent about some BS at school that's made an already demanding job harder? Are you a student and want a preview of what the heck is going on in the mind of the person on the other side of the desk? Chat it up!

Show Content
RE: Teacher Talk!
You must be registered to view this content.
@
Show Content
So I had a "differentiated cell model" project for my PreAP Bio students.

Also oh man I can do so much more in class with these kids it is great.

The idea is, they have to pick a unique cell type (no generic "animal" or "plant" cells) and then build a 3d model of it highlighting the structures or organelles inside.

I spent a few hours going through and grading them yesterday, and I was pretty impressed so here they are!

Red Blood Cells:
Show Content

Ameoba:
Show Content

Chromatophore:
Show Content

Smooth Muscle Cell:
Show Content

Neurons:
Show Content

Photoreceptor:
Show Content

Cnidocyte:
Show Content

Sperm Cell:
Show Content

Magnetotactic bacteria:
Show Content
@ :
Look a few spoilers down and you can see why that might loose you some points.

More models!

Cholera:
Show Content

Paramecium:
Show Content

Skin Tissue:
Show Content

Goblet Cells:
Show Content

Melanoma:
Show Content

Melanocytes
Show Content

Euglenas
Show Content

There were many more models, but these were probably the most notable.

Now I gotta load up minecraft to see if I can grade the 3d built ones.

oh here was the worst one:
Show Content
schools
I have 50 goldfish in a tub in my apartment. Hopefully they don't all die this year.
RE: Ride on the Magic School Bus! (Teacher Talk)
Oh gosh I should not have fed these fish. They did not need that food why are they all sideways?

Maybe they are just bloated. Maybe they will be better in the morning.
(10-17-2016, 03:00 AM)btp Wrote: »Oh gosh I should not have fed these fish. They did not need that food why are they all sideways?

Maybe they are just bloated. Maybe they will be better in the morning.

No to be a pessimist, but that sounds like they are near death. All of my gold fish that died have always weakly swam around the bottom on their sides before floating to the top.
Sig:
Show Content
Yup. They are dead.

Like 45 goldfish all dead. (5 of them are little survivors though).

When kids come in today and start saying "Where are the goldfish???" I'm going to say "Oh no, today is the day we set up your tanks, we will put the goldfish in there tomorrow." IT WAS THE PLAN ALL ALONG NO GOLDFISH WERE HARMED. (They were all harmed.)

My wife was gone all day, leaving me to my own fish-related devices. When she came back I told her about the fish this was our exchange:

"Did you de-chlorinate the tap water?"
"Wut."
"You need to go to goldfish school."

So apparently putting goldfish in tapwater is like putting a person in a room filled with trace amounts of chlorine gas (and some ammonia too). I mean, maybe they'll survive but its like a 90% mortality rate.

The 50 chirpy crickets I got are all fine though.
btp you are a scourge, how can one person have killed so many goldfish
OKAY ROUND 2!

I have 60 new fish in a bag, I have added a dechlorinator. I am letting them temperature acclimate to the water temperature. The 5 surviving fish from batch one are eyeing them with suspicion.

On a positive note. The kids were totally fine with not doing the fish part of their project today. They were fully engrossed in putting their bottles together and setting up their cricket homes.

Possibly my favorite part of this lesson is when I open the box of crickets and tell the kids to "okay go ahead and grab one." Somehow they never considered that they would have to touch and hold the cricket in the process of getting them into their bottles.

My classroom is very chirpy.
oh, this thread exists

yeah hi im a substitute teacher now. i work for a school that has ages k-12 so i get shuffled around towards all sorts of age groups and subjects and i love it. teaching elementary is oddly rewarding so if i had to settle on something full-time i would do that.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
Welcome to the club gatr!

(It's a good club)

I need an app tp keep track of all the threats I make to students. Post-it notes just aren't cutting it.
tryna get my head around relative adverbs, I just got the hang of relative pronouns in time to teach those last lesson with the second years

(Relative pronouns (inasmuch as I taught em) are who/which/that which add more information to a subject ("fursonas are anthromorphic animal identities which are adopted by people called furries", or "Schazer is a teacher who would never bring up fursonas in an actual classroom environment"), relative adverbs are similar but using when for dates and where for locations.)

Anyway, the textbook is primarily listing examples like:
-This is the city where I lived five years ago
-This is the baseball field where I sometimes played baseball

And I'm getting serious Nickelback Photograph vibes
Pro-tip: If you plan on copying your friend's paper, make sure to delete their name off of the file you turn in.
lol!!
Sig:
Show Content
One of my third year students applied to an international college, which conduct their interviews in English as well as Japanese. I was asked to help her rehearse, which ended up in a solid week of staying at school until six pm poring over stock photos and concocting stories and situations for the people therein.

Anyway she came and told me today that she's been accepted! I'm really proud of her and hope America keeps its shit together long enough so she can enjoy doing an exchange over there in a year or two.
I was doing an activity today with cue cards with pictures of food on them for the theme "ordering in a restaurant". This particular class is full of jokers and generally outgoing goobers so they were having a great time being awful fussy customers at each other.

One group full of hooligans handed the customer his pizza, and the customer stuffed the whole piece of paper in his mouth. Having never in my three years here see a student wilfully destroy a teacher's things I was kind of shocked, but didn't burst into Japanese and settled for telling them "I need that for my next class."

They quickly showed me the intact card and the now-crumpled scrap of paper they'd actually chewed up was a piece of scrap paper they'd prepped.

Sometimes this job is a slog but I love these kids holy hell

Also in both classes I ran today I had to explain with doodles the aurally-negligible but descriptively-divergent difference between "I have a ___" and "I'll have a ____" and it's all PPAP's fault
Fuck that is some quality goofs
In the latest episode of Teaching High Schoolers How To Restaurant:

One group's waiter looms over his customers and says his lines in an ominous rumble, before yelling the order as he gets it to the chef. He then asks them what drinks they'd like but then says they're out of everything the customers ask for. The bemused guests then ask for orange juice, and the waiter asks if they want it hot or iced and for some reason this is when I lose my shit

The waiter then says "sorry we've only got hot orange juice" and some other student, who's not even in this group, yells "excuse me" and asks the waiter for orange juice, is promptly handed it

In another performance, one student switched off the classroom lights, and the chef appears with a cake and waggles a stub of red chalk over it while some other dude (again, someone not part of this group) gets out of his chair and sings "happy birthday" to the customer
Brilliant.
The second year English elective class were away on their school trip to Tokyo and thereabouts last week, so this week we got them writing what their favorite part of the excursion was.

Most of them talked about Disneyland/sea or trying skiing for the first time, and the latter in particular were pleasing because the kids in question were trying more complicated cause+effect in their sentences than they usually would ("once I started sliding, I had a lot of fun").

However, my favorite story of the bunch:

Quote:My best memory is when <my friend's> ears hurt and cried, when an airplane lands and takes off.
And then he took me by the hand, because he was afraid of a crash.