Music

Poll: Your musical genre?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.23%
31 35.23%
No
21.59%
19 21.59%
All of the above
43.18%
38 43.18%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music
RE: Music
Graham Nash is pretty cool too btw.

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

I cannot believe you haven't posted this before, Supes. IIRC.

It is so far up your alley that I can't think of a suitable non-vulgar analogy.
Point taken. Head Hunters is still my pick, but I thought Sylvester would've hooked.

Here, have something else hit-or-miss.

SpoilerShow
https://vendekabyte.bandcamp.com

my little brother did this!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
here is a song that is a remix/mashup of two other songs by the same band

SpoilerShow
(04-05-2013, 11:47 PM)Woffles Wrote: »https://vendekabyte.bandcamp.com

my little brother did this!

-Ice Nine

Your brother is doing good things
Piano bar took my request and played this song. Always a favorite.

Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

:3
I think I've watched this music video about twenty times now and I'm not even sure why.

SpoilerShow
Curse you, Daft Punk.

You have an album launch in rural Australia and it still sells out that fucking quickly.

Wee Waa you lucky bastards.
(04-12-2013, 09:07 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Sold out? Shit ain't even out yet for another month.

I would be totally cool with missing out were it overseas, but the fact it was somewhere I could probably afford to get to and such just... Raaaaage

SpoilerShow
Who here loves Japanese one-man synth video game music? Anyone? Well whatever, have some Hyadain.

Is this what it's like to have a girlfriend?
SpoilerShow

Rap de Chocobo
SpoilerShow

Ultros Boogie
SpoilerShow

Super Mario World Western Show
SpoilerShow

World Warrior
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
The ending themes are more spooky

SpoilerShow

Also, have you seen Jedah's ending? Just thinking about it fucking gives me nightmares.

SpoilerShow
More ELO.

SpoilerShow
has caravan palace been mentioned yet
actually i don't care that much derails conversation for ELECTROSWING

Caravan Palace - Clash
SpoilerShow

Dutty Moonshine - Fancy a Tipple
SpoilerShow

Goodluck - Hop On Hop Off
SpoilerShow

Parov Stelar Trio - The Invisible Girl
SpoilerShow

you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming
I think everyone here loves Caravan Palace.
yes good.
I disagree! For several reasons, really. For one, electroswing is a very nebulous term, really; all it means is swing fused with house production techniques. For another, it's a genre that's young enough that you wouldn't have much trouble fingering the artist from the song. This is largely due to the fact (IMO, anyway) that being a fused from two pretty different genres, a lot of bands differ on where they fall on the spectrum in terms of their influences. Example: bands like Parov Stelar and Goodluck are very much on the house side, whereas Caravan Palace is more clearly rooted on the swing side (gypsy jazz, as you mentioned). Some bands, like Dutty Moonshine and AlgoRythmik, are even hip-hop-esque on some of their songs. This results in a number of different compositional and production styles; but sharing largely the same aesthetic, I don't see a problem with putting them under the same term. Finally, because of this, I don't think you can really say any of them are "objectively" better.

(Also: nobody's really copied Caravan Palace, and Caravan Palace certainly didn't copy anyone else. They certainly didn't start the genre.)

Anyway, my end point was: electroswing is really an umbrella term that serves as a catch-all for many bands with differing styles but a similar aesthetic, and I don't doubt it'll start splintering at some point in the future.

Have some Goldfish.

SpoilerShow

EDIT: that should've gone under a spoiler

EDIT2: i should also disclaim everything above is my opinion. you are free to examine the music and agree/disagree, w/e
Swing with electro? Sure!

Here's possibly the most clear-cut example: Parov Stelar with KissKiss, a song released in 2004 - which means that it in fact predates Caravan Palace's formation.

SpoilerShow

But what about having a real band with real instruments? Here's the 2009 live performance of the aforementioned song.
SpoilerShow

and just because I like the song, here's Goldfish's performance of "Soundtracks and Comebacks" - stick around for when the saxophone comes out because I really like that riff.
SpoilerShow

In fact, if you want to talk about copying, Parov Stelar was possibly the first to really cement a swing/house fusion: while his earlier stuff was still mostly a jazz outfit, pretty much by '06 most of his songs were in this style:

SpoilerShow

which, yes, predates anything Caravan Palace released (Caravan Palace's first album was released in 2008).

Also, regarding umbrella terms: I don't think there's a big problem. Thing with umbrella terms is it's mainly there for the listener's use. It basically provides a common reference for discussion. Whether or not it stifles creativity is entirely up to the artist. I'd describe my own style as a milkshake but I have no problems with the "electroswing" umbrella term - hence why I slapped it on my own damn album. It's a good reference for people to have.

anyway i think we're done derailing this thread.
Talking to Superfrequency about Caravan Palace?

You must be new here.

Anyway... Steely Dan's 'Can't Buy a Thrill' deserves a mention on the good album list. Even if its singles are still overplayed by the 'classic rock' channels.
SpoilerShow

Not from an album, but one of my favourite songs of theirs:
SpoilerShow
Talking to me about Caravan Palace? You must not know me very well...

but yes anyway here is the entirety of Protodome's discography because

GOD

DAMMMMMMMM

it's chiptune jazz btw oh right here is the link

Here's a few of my favourites