Mafia: The Last Resort [EPILOGUE: THE END]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mafia: The Last Resort [EPILOGUE: THE END]
Re: Mafia: The Last Resort [D6: Explosive Revelations]
There has been a hammer, yes.

Unfortunately...

I'm going to stare at a blank wall until I get the nerve to sort this out. Don't post anything.
Okay, here's how it's going to work.

This game has spiraled out of control, not least because of some terrible decisions on my part. It doesn't look to improve, and by the time this thing ends it seems incredibly likely that no one will have enjoyed this game in the least.

I'd appreciate if the remaining people in this tell me if they want to see this game to its conclusion or not. If anyone is dead, informed and reading this then their input would be appreciated also.

Thank you. I am extremely sorry about this.
I, personally, have really enjoyed the game and would like to see it to its conclusion.
If I knew how the game would have proceeded when you asked me to substitute in, I still would have. I've had a lot of fun with the brief time I've been in.
I had lots of fun, especially when we cornered all the scum, but the sudden rudeness of some players was a bit off-putting. :<
The people who want to continue currently outnumber those who don't wish to continue, considering both the living players and the totals of both living and dead players.

I'm personally of two minds. Part of me just wants to rattle on towards the end for the sense of completion and on the philosophy that things can hardly get much worse than they already have. But those are pretty selfish reasons, and as I think some people are expecting me to be on hand for mediation purposes it's not a good mindset to have.

It's also unfair to force people who don't want to play to do so. Replacements at this stage would be ridiculous. There's also at least one player I've treated so badly that they probably won't respond to this. I very much doubt that they even want to talk to me after the amount of bullshit they've had to put up with, and fair enough. There's also the point that for the town at this point it's like shooting fish in a barrel. To continue would undoubtedly be nothing short of tedious.

I'm going to wait one more day to see if any of the living or dead players want to have their say, and then I'll figure out what to do next.
Let us whirl back through time to a point when Mirdini was at soft lynch.

The moment even this small milestone had been reached, a ripple of anger passed through the crowd. Ideas of democracy and fairness burnt away in an instant within this fiery rage. Values, hopes, individual thoughts: all of them were flung aside as feelings peaked, and everyone swarmed forward onto the unfortunate.

The mob does not even think of the noose. Instead they only sought to kill, with whatever was closest. After a few minutes of screams, confusion and one sided brawling someone retrieves an ancient sword from a display case and rams it into Mirdini's chest. It is done.

Mirdini was Jack Brume, the Idiot Savant. For him the world was a sea brimming with connections and links, sometimes obvious and sometimes spanning several seemingly unrelated ideas. It all made sense to him. Every night he could choose two people and gain some insight into the nature of any connection between the two. But while his mind functioned beautifully, his speech did not. Often he would become tongue tied, and this prevented him sharing his results of the previous night. And poor as his skills of communication were, his heart was true. He was sided with the Town. That is, until his mind was sadly twisted against that which he had worked so hard for. He was a Cult member.

Whatever the feelings at this outcome, it is too late to discuss them. Night has fallen, and beyond that a new day awaits.

The night will end 21 November, or when all night actions are received.
Re: Mafia: The Last Resort [D7: Mixed Result]
The few who rise on the morning of the seventh day do so with heavy hearts and stricken minds. Their sanctuary, The Last Resort, is now a house of death. It reeks of it, in spite of their best efforts. But the numbers of corpses grew while the living dwindled, and now, so fixated on the death of their foes, the fallen lie where they died, unhonoured but hardly forgotten.

It is in this state of mind that these few meet, scanning the all too familiar faces in a single glance. They know who is dead. They don't have to think about it any more. The missing are all too obvious in their minds.

They shuffle to the first room of the deceased. Once they might have run and leapt, but there was no thrill of danger. No incentive. They knew what awaited them behind the gleaming door.

And indeed, they find SleepingOrange. His expression is calm, and you know he passed away peacefully.

SleepingOrange was Nazario Silver. When he came to the Last Resort he was likeable enough, if a little anxious. However, word soon got around as to what he was capable of. Death, they all whispered, and turned their backs against him. The residents of the hotel feared and shunned him, and he responded accordingly. At first he tried to win their favour, helping everyone he could and talking to all who would listen. It didn't work. Slowly his attempts became fewer and fewer, until they stopped completely. The guests were happy for him to be out of their sight, and so out of mind. In his position of pariah, however, his resentment grew. It infected his good nature and corrupted it, until all that was left was an unholy rage. Not that you would know it to look at him, of course, but when some shady individuals finally offered him a place as an equal, he found just the outlet for that anger.

And so Nazario Silver joined the murderers of the Last Resort. His ability was to nurture death wherever it could be found, and the wild accusations of a lynch mob formed the perfect environment. Every time somebody was at soft lynch, SleepingOrange could rush the lynch and have them die immediately. He was capable of doing this three times. As such, he was part of the Mafia in the role of Executioner.

A weak smile flickers over the faces of those who still care, but that number is few indeed. After all, there is still another missing from their number...

They find the room of this person empty. The place is thoroughly searched, but there is no trace of them: only their various and interesting belongings. The current survivors fan out through the hotel. It doesn't take them long to find what they're looking for.

In the kitchen, a pile of sliced and torn rags is the first sign that something is wrong. A few splashs of blood, and then a lengthy trail, confirm this suspicion. Not sure what you will find, the few walk on until a much mistreated blender and a grinning skull reveal it all. Spread out across once shining steel surfaces a message is written in the processed flesh of ProfessorLizzard. It reads as follows:

To those left alive,

This is TimeothyHour. I have opted to forsake any pretence of anonymity in my last days, especially a pretence that everyone knew was erroneous and false.

If my calculations are correct, by morning, my last compatriot will have died, and I shall be the only member of the Mafia left standing. The irony is that, all along, I was their leader, and now I am without anything to lead. And soon, I too, either through lynching or the acceptance of my plea, will be dead.

See, Drakenforge poisoned me a few nights ago and became my, as he put it, “Mentor.” It was in order to regain his ability to kill as a vigilante. Each night after, I would be given the antidote, and poisoned again, to put me at his mercy. If he died, I would die. And thus, the Mentor became untouchable. In this way, he has slowly killed of the remainder of my comrades. I suspect that, as my Mentor, he cannot kill me, or he simply doesn’t want to go to the trouble of killing and finding a new mentee.

I have resigned for my fate. In my current state, there is no way for Mafia to truly win. I don’t really want to win, anymore. I’ve had a lot of fun killing everyone here. It’s proven to me that, slowly, my condition really has improved. I am finally, finally satisfied with myself.

However, I’m not going out without a single proposition, a plea:

Lynch Drakenforge.

He is last of the town among us, and if I can’t win, nor do I want the town to succeed. With his death, I will die, and both Mafia and Town will be condemned to Hell. The two third parties remaining will the winners and winners alone. This I swear to you, on my name and on my death: What I am saying is the Truth. If my torturer dies with me, then I will be satisfied, and relent to the grave.

But until then.

Vote: Drakenfoge.

The sight is enough to induce vomiting in a few. The only solid remains, the bones, sit in pans where the meat must have been boiled off. There isn't anything that could be much clearer about the murder.

ProfessorLizzard was Anzo Dionysus. His insatiable curiosity dragged him to the Last Resort, and compelled him to investigate all that was mysterious or unknown. It didn't even have to be interesting: anything that held a shred of the unknown became an obsession for the man until a light was cast into these dark corners of his knowledge. When the murders began, a quest of a far more noble calibre was taken up by him, and he devoted himself to finding the scum. Every night he would be capable of thoroughly investigating a person in the hotel to the extent that he could be certain of their guilt or their innocence. As such, he was a Sane Cop, and accordingly Town aligned.

The remaining four return to their hall of discussion and sit. Stares are exchanged, and then the talking begins.

With four alive, it takes three to lynch.
You have already heard my words.

vote: Drakenforge.
Heee I don't even get messages or quicktopic messages telling me this started anymore~
Which is bad. Seriously : /

BusCop for LynchRusher is an unfair trade for game setups. But at least this gets to end with respect.

Vote: Times

There really is no good way to end this now. Someone is gonna look bad for this.
I'm sorry Times, but I've got one last wager leaning on your death.
Vote: TimeothyHour
I'm just going to go ahead and Vote: TimeothyHour. Nothing personal, man.
*Nod*

I was expecting it to go about that well.
It is too late. Too late for pretty words, or not so appealing ones as the case may be. It takes only minutes. Two seize the last villain in their midst, and the third is more than happy to oblige with a lethal injection. He struggles for a moment. They cover him with a blanket and walk away, to at least grant him privacy in his last moments.

Backs turned to the dying man, they wait until silence falls again in this makeshift mausoleum.

And then, quite simply, it is over.

_ _ _

Epilogue, win tallies, role PMs and QT topics forthcoming, although not necessarily in that order. Good game, everyone!
PMs of various purposes and shapes

Original Role PMs
SpoilerShow

ProfessorLizzard:
SpoilerShow

Ixcaliber:
SpoilerShow

Whimbrel/soundlyParanoid:
SpoilerShow

Mirdini:
SpoilerShow
Wheat:
SpoilerShow

Drakenforge:
SpoilerShow

Pharmacy:
SpoilerShow

Woffles:
SpoilerShow

g0m/Sanzh:
SpoilerShow

Pinary:
SpoilerShow

Dragon Fogel:
SpoilerShow

I don't really want to post the temporary lover PMs (and they can be found in the QTs anyway), so I'll just state who was paired and when.
SpoilerShow

For further reading, peruse the QTs.

Cult
Mafia
Drakenforge
Drakenforge/TimeothyHour Poisoner Chat
Mirdini
ProfessorLizzard
Sanzh
Pinary
Insufficient Fresh/SleepingOrange
Dragon Fogel
Whimbrel/soundlyParanoid
Wheat
TimeothyHour
MrGuy
Solaris
Third Lovers' Chat
Woffles
Drakenforge/Solaris Poisoner Chat
The Star
Second Lovers' Chat
Pick Yer Poison
Ixcaliber
Pharmacy
Sruixan
MalkyTop
g0m
First Lovers' Chat
Schazer
AKillerCuppaTea

Next: the Epilogue.
Re: Mafia: The Last Resort [GAME OVER: TYING LOOSE ENDS]
In reality: I lied.

Would have been nice to put the winners after the epilogue but it's taking too long. Instead, let's have some winners.

THE OUTRIGHT WINNERS

Pinary - Survived
Drakenforge - Surviving Town
Sanzh - One Correct Prediction + Last Surviving Candle Lighter

THE MODESTLY VICTORIOUS

Solaris - Town Player
MrGuy - Town Player
Schazer - Town Player
Wheat - Town Player
AKillerCuppaTea - Town Player
Mirdini - Town Player
MalkyTop - Town Player
ProfessorLizzard - Town Player
Ixcaliber - Town Player
Pick Yer Poison - Town Player
soundlyParanoid - Town Player
Woffles - Victorious Duelist
Pharmacy - Died Doing What She Loved

Thank you to all who played! Hopefully you enjoyed it to some degree.
Re: Mafia: The Last Resort [GAME OVER: 3P & TOWN JOINT WIN]
Awesome game, definitely worth every moment of it.
Crying Eagle
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur.
Woffles Wrote:Awesome game, definitely worth every moment of it.
Crying Eagle

pretty much this ^

can't wait for the epilogue
THIS SPOILER CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION. PLEASE READ IF YOU WISH TO ENJOY THE EPILOGUE.
SpoilerShow

THE EPILOGUE

For a while the survivors drifted away. Each had their own business to attend to, but each held no illusions as to what they would do afterwards. None had the slightest reason to stay in this place, and a slowly mounting stockpile of extremely flammable liquids confirmed that they wouldn't be changing their minds.

Reconvening in the lobby where these goods await, a question of cults is raised. The gambler and the poisoner look at the third person among them, and the person in question responds by simply baring his shoulder. The previous cult members had all borne a four pointed star tattoo here, but his skin was utterly blank.

â??I was one of the cult, for a brief time, but I was blessed with a choice. When only I remained of the Aurora, I chose to return to what I was previously. I can't claim to know why I alone was given these options.â?

â??I can.â?

The words fluttered forward from the shadows. It came from all around the three, and it would be absurd to accuse any of them of not hearing it.

â??Who...?â? The question died on the lips of the gambler, but it was enough.

The survivors suddenly became acutely aware of how dark it had become in the hotel. Night had fallen at some point or another, and so occupied had they been that none had turned on the lights. Shadows clung to all the corners and walls, obscuring and hiding all that might lurk just in sight.

â??I have several names.â?

The words came clearly from a single source this time: the top of the stairs.

They all turned at once to stare, and there they saw him.

A man in a maroon suit. His head was tilted to face downwards, but a fedora hides any details that might have been seen. A curl of cigarette smoke twisted towards the ceiling.

â??In this case, however, I think The Narrator works well enough.â?

He raised his face, but the shadows still hide most of it.

â??This is my hotel, but I am not confined to it. Not at all. Why, I've been gifting mortals far and wide for centuries. This building is just another token of my philanthropic nature. And it was beautiful, once.â? He withdrew the cigarette from his mouth and sighed. Gloved fingers lightly brushed the wood of the banister, and for a moment he is completely silent, lost in remembrance.

â??What happened? I suppose my influence faded. People forgot my name, my face, the things I gave them. I suppose the unspecified side effects of such gifts may have biased them against me, but they never asked about them in advance.â? He shrugged. â??What am I to do if no one asks for details?â?

His invisible gaze drifted back to the survivors, and he cleared his throat.

â??The point I'm failing to make, dear gentlemen, is that the Cult Leader received a boon from me: the power of sublime oration. She used it well, and all she turned her gaze to fell under her enchantment. But there was another person here in possession of something of mine. It didn't belong to him, but he had taken it when all others had abandoned it. These were the cards, and they shaped the motives of our culted friend. Two of my gifts, with equal power, pulled him in opposite directions. The only thing that could settle the war was his own free will.â?

He took four steps down the stairs, and paused again.

â??The result of that free will stands before you now: a free man.â?

He smiled at the silent men.

â??I hope that answers your question. I also hope you'll be kind enough to answer mine: what do you think you're doing?â?

Before they can answer the shadows shift and the man is standing mere inches away.

â??Nobody leaves. It's in the rules,â?
he hissed, bleakest eyes of deepest night staring out with undisguised hatred. All three of them were frozen in place. The Narrator had them pinned, either through fear or whatever unholy powers he boasted of.

â??Not a soul leaves this place, not until I get bored of them. You think you've just miraculously been healed, and that's because you're all so stupid. You can't just think. It's easier to make everything a problem, I suppose. Only a few actually realised: you're not cursed. I gave you all a blessing, a gift.â?
His voice had sunk from silky and smooth to the animal snarl of something far less, or perhaps far greater, than any human. â??I brought you to heaven on earth, and still you mutter and moan and spit on my kindness. So I play games. Set you against one another, influence you. I'd say I'm owed that much.

â??And when I've drained all the fun out of you, I take back my gifts and let you go. Then, and only then. It's not over yet for you three.â?

â??The afflictions...â? The man of cards manages to speak. â??You â?? you instigated them? The mute, the unheeded, the insane-â?

The Narrator snarled and snapped his fingers. The legs gave out from under the man, and he crumpled to the floor with the beginnings of a shout. Another snap muted him.

â??It's funny,â?
he remarked, in a tone utterly devoid of humour. â??I've said my piece, and you still don't seem to realise how much power I have over you all. Had. Most are dead now, I suppose. Even that was a clue. All these people dying, every single day, and it never occurs to you once to leave. Why? Because I still had a hold on you. You couldn't shake off your little problems.â?

The animal and the anger are gone now. The Narrator is simply disgusted.

Nonchalantly, he rounds on the poisoner. A hand snakes out and grabs the side of the killer's face, gripping so hard and so quickly that blood wells up where his fingernails dig in. The poisoner struggles, but he seems curiously unenergetic in his attempt. The Narrator tilts his own head and stares at the poisoner. For an uncomfortably long, painful time, he says nothing. When he does, his voice is little more than a whisper.

â??You. Killer of killers. Half of the murderers died by your hand, you know that? Not even counting the one who just died, seeing as fair Democracy chose to preside over that particular execution. But you enjoyed it. The flicker of life escaping into the void, the moment when all life fails â?? it's like crack to you. And still â?? still! - you were so pleased with yourself. For the first time in your twisted little life, you were fighting for some greater good. A white knight. A good man. But a killer is a killer is a killer, and I'm afraid that however you look at it you're no better than the bastards you murdered.â?

Suddenly, the acidic flow of words halted, and the Narrator released his prisoner. His stained fingers withdrew from the bloody pits in the poisoner's face, each over half an inch deep, blood oozing forth as he did so. The man swayed and collapsed.

The Narrator only observes the writhing mess for a moment before boredom overtakes him again. His attention is turned to the gambler. Upon seeing him, his face breaks into a grin, and he laughs.

â??The gambler! The most tragic case here, in a way, because you were the one who was likely to actually leave. I've had so many poor fools try their luck against me, and so many lose. I'm less than fascinated in your kind by this point, but I figured â?? once more! For old time's sake! And here you are, going for your last big bet. Who would live? Who would die? You saw it all, friend, and your first instinct was to make it into a game. I salute you. That's real dedication to an addiction.

â??So I'll admit: had you won your little game, I would have let you go. You could have just walked away from this decaying mess, no problem. It's a crying shame, it honestly, truly is, that you only had one correct prediction on the lynch. Seems you're still stuck here with the rest of us. Bad luck, friend.â?

He sighed and shrugged, the incarnation of sympathy, before the entire act vanished in the blink of an eye. The wolfish grin re-appeared and he opened his mouth to continue.

And continue he would have, had he not been interrupted by the curiously audible rasp of a match being lit.

Narrator, poisoner and gambler all turned their gaze to the source of the noise, which appeared to be the man of cards. While the Narrator had indulged in his monologue he had taken the time to crawl to the flammable stockpile and acquire a box of matches. It was by the light of one of these with which he surveyed his remaining envelopes. Slowly, he turned his head to meet the gaze of the others. His expression was guarded.

The first to break the silence, unsurprisingly, was the Narrator. He chuckled, and removed his hat.

â??What do you intend to do?â?
Despite the joviality of his manner, his voice was low and steely. â??Use my own cards against me?â?

The man of cards looked down. â??No. I don't think so.â?

And then, he dropped the match onto the briefcase of envelopes. He watched it catch alight, then knelt and stood with the flaming box in his grip. Turning, his gaze squarely met that of the Narrator. The astute might have noticed the touch of amusement to his expression.

â??You don't have a hold on me. You haven't for a long time.â?

In one single movement, he cast the blazing contents of the briefcase onto the collection of gasoline and other such materials.

They promptly exploded.

But rather than four sudden, fiery deaths occurring, all but the arsonist were instantly slammed backwards. Stunned and bruised, they blinked and raised their heads to see the man of cards standing by the door. He cast back a single, almost accusatory, glance before pushing them open. For a few precious seconds the lobby was drenched in golden sunlight, but then he was gone.

Only three remained in the swiftly burning building.

The Narrator sprang to his feet.

â??Remarkable. Unfortunately, I don't think your egress will come so easily. You can't leave, not yet. But I'll give you a chance.â?

Spinning on his heel, he turned and donned his hat. With a languid pace, he started back towards the heart of the hotel.

â??Kill the other, and I will permit you to leave. Before you suffocate or burn to a crisp, ideally.â?

He paused, and turned to face them one last time.

â??I'd say the killer has the advantage here â?? he will probably even enjoy it â?? but who knows? Perhaps today will be your lucky day.â?

In spite of the quickly spreading, swiftly dancing and crackling flames, neither moved until the last of his footsteps had faded from their hearing.

The poisoner's gaze twitched towards the gambler. His hands flexed, his eyes gleamed, and he had already started his run towards the victim before his movements jarred. He hesitated, halted. The killer's gaze dropped to the floor, and he was suddenly very still.

The gambler, utterly tensed, merely stared.

The poisoner drew in one long, shuddering breath, then coughed rather suddenly. He looked up.

â??You know...â? He paused, and he averted his gaze from the gambler again. â??I reckon we need to get out of here. There's not enough time.â?

Slowly, and with shaky steps, he approached the doors. His hand rested on one. He hesitated.

But then, shaking his head, he too passed through the doors.

The gambler stood in silence. He hadn't spoken for a long time now, and a backward glance confirmed that there was no one around to converse with anyway. There was only darkness and fire here. And smoke. The poisoner had been right. His time was running out. Coughing, he dropped to the floor in a crouch and fished a coin out of his pocket.

â??Tails,â? he whispered, and flipped it over his shoulder. With a small, satisfying clatter, it fell to the wooden floor behind him.

The gambler smiled. He stumbled upwards, sleeve pressed to his nose and mouth, and pushed open the door with absolutely zero regard for the result of the coin.

Had he checked, however, he might have been surprised to see that the coin had lodged itself on its side. The identical sides gleamed in the firelight.

Three gone. Now only the Narrator remained.

The first and the last.

The man in question coasted through the building, oblivious to the spreading flame. His skin could feel the heat, but his mind was preoccupied with days long gone. Slow and regretful, his wandering brought him to the expansive bar room, where the previous guests had spent their first twilight after the murders began. Stars stared down from their celestial perches, but in the Narrator's dream they looked down through the glass ceiling onto a floor full of dancers. The haunting melodies of a long forgotten woodwind band filled the air, but laughter and chatter reigned above it all. As the Narrator glided to the bar, every single person he walked past stopped to smile and greet him. Smiling, he slid onto a tall barstool

Elsewhere in the building, a ceiling crumbled and fell with a monstrous crash. The entire building boomed with its echoes.

The reverie was broken. Once more, the Narrator was unnoticed and alone. None spoke his name here.

With a sigh, he stood. It took only a moment to vault over the bar, although he did so with surprising ease. Dropping to the floor, his hands quested over the cracks and bumps of the floorboards. It took a while â?? it had been a long time, after all, and even he forgot â?? but just as the heat caused a bottle of alcohol to explode he finally pried up the trapdoor.

A metal ladder, leading down into the gloom, gleamed back at him. At the bottom, at the very end, a faint glow of light beckoned.

A second bottle had to explode before the Narrator dropped down. The trapdoor was slammed shut, and he had just begun a hurried descent when a sudden impulse made him stop and look up. On the underside of the trapdoor, impossibly illuminated, three words were carved.

'Lost heart, rest.'

He laughed, briefly and bitterly, then bit back the tears as he lowered himself to the end. There were no more reasons to hesitate. For a few minutes there was only the noise of his downward clambering and the murky gloom, but then the Narrator found what he was looking for.

And at that moment, quite simply, the Last Resort ceased to exist for anyone.