The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

"You have made incredible progress," I remarked. "You're already almost finished with the Foxspell."

Quote:>Rebecca: *Proudly* You're a speed reader. The trick is to look at the entire line of text and not go word by word.
>Adler: Uh, sure. Explain to her the nature of Reynard's wisdom. Also point out that there is no deeper meaning to the pointers on burying things, he's just talking about practicality. Now for the fun part. Explain why Reynard was such a jokester and why his fun and harmless japes are important.

0629smug.gif

"I was always the fastest reader in my coven," Rebecca replied proudly. "Fastest reader in Bunkirk too, which caused me to be viewed with some suspicion. It's a gift."

"Impressive," I stated. "This section of the book is mainly just practical advice. It doesn't seem to have any spiritual significance. The part about digging holes is just that. No deeper meaning. Now, the passage that's obscured consists of a number of lessons on pranking and playing tricks, because merry mischief is part of being an elf - or so Saint Reynard believed. Most of this stuff is harmless, and I'm not sure why it would be hidden, unless ... some of those pranks are ones we customarily play on lowfolk, and a few of them, if I recall, contain simple magicks."

"Ooh!" Rebecca exclaimed, grabbing the book and peering into it eagerly.

"I would suggest paging through this until you find a paragraph you can read, and then working from there."

Quote:>Adler: As Rebecca is reading and occasionally laughing, head back to Vernier.

I left her flipping pages and giggling, and walked back over to Vernier.

"Yes," I said thoughtfully as I approached. "I agree that I should send an Ixie to contact Oak, and I hope that she will be willing and able to make the journey back to visit me. Now then, it is getting late. I've no objection to you spending the night here, but I assume you would rather sleep at home in your own bed. Before we adjourn, let's agree on the best way to put our plans for the immediate future into action. I will compensate you with some gold coins to support yourself while you spread marvelous stories of 'Randall the White Elf' so my legend will be on everyone's minds. You will also make periodic trips back here with food, supplies, and news."

These supply visits would also be an opportunity to spend more time with Vernier and gradually win her heart!

Quote:>Vernier: Uh, Adler's making that face again.

0629daydream.gif

"Sir?" she asked after a lengthy pause. "Are you all right? You've got that faraway look in your eyes."

"Ahem," I coughed, regaining my composure. "Since you are still in my employ, I will of course continue to pay you for your labor. You also need not worry about your safety. I shall see to it that you are guarded and protected by Ixies, and here in the forest the trees themselves will also protect you. I will make sure there is an easy path which you may take to shorten your journey to and from this stone circle."

"Sounds good so far," Vernier admitted.

"Now then, about Rebecca," I continued. "She is open to elfly things and she is making good progress, but she has needed my help to guide her and keep her on track. I believe it is necessary to have her stay here with me, under my tutelage, until she is advanced enough to pursue her studies on her own."

"My neighbors are going to ask where she went," Vernier protested. Did I detect a note of jealousy?

"You may tell them that Rebecca took on an apprenticeship, which is true. Meanwhile I will also be practicing these new abilities I've discovered. If I can master how to conjure things from nothing, then it won't be necessary to have food delivered as often."

As I said it, I realized that success in this endeavor would mean less need for Vernier to visit. What a dilemma!

Quote:>Vernier: Before you can comment that Adler is making another face, you are interrupted by Angela clumsily fluttering into veiw.
>Angela: You've finally stopped convulsing and you're ready to continue your debriefing!

"Sir, you're doing it again," Vernier sighed.

0629lolsalute.gif

Before I could respond, Angela Weakflit fluttered up and saluted.

"Reporting 4 my debriefing, Your Dreaminess," she giggled.

"Ah," I replied. "Have you discovered the source of the bell sound?"

"LOL wut R U talking about?" Angela laughed. "Ive been recuperating N teh infirmary & only just now recovered from a bad case of teh Vapors. Everybody's gone! But I remember I need 2 C U 4 debriefing, so hear I am."
The Ballad of Adler Young: Silly furry elf adventure. Read the RECAP: https://adleryoung.tumblr.com
Steampup: Surreal dog-headed Victorian adventure.  Winterbough Saga Wiki:  Everything we know about Faerie, its history & inhabitants.
See an edited recap of Zandar's Saga, and new pages at my Patreon.  Peruse original music at Bandcamp.
*Adorable plum-munching Mavis avatar by the incomparable Tronn.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 09-08-2016, 04:46 AM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 09-30-2016, 04:05 AM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by tegerioreo - 06-30-2022, 02:50 AM