The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

Quote:>Adler: The new mastery of logic and planning given to you by your heightened, concentrated focus senses allow you to discern that you should go back to the business you were discussing with Vernier earlier. You can continue trying to earn her affections with her over time. Now, uh, what was she trying to tell you before she started having crying fits? . . .
>Vernier: Adler has been standing there in deep contemplation for a while. You're starting to get concerned he has frozen up the way Burnside did earlier. You better snap him out of it before Rebecca tries putting witchy makeup on him. "Uh, sir?"
>Adler: AHA! Your powers of focus benefit you again! Vernier was talking about oak trees! Inform her that while Oak is a fine type of tree, it isn't your favorite.

Thanks to the heightened powers of concentration I was now enjoying, I could discern clearly that now was the time to get back to the business I had been discussing with Vernier earlier. There would be time to win her affections later. For now, I needed to recall what she had been talking about before she started having her crying fits. What was it? Focus, Adler, FOCUS!!

"Uh, Sir?" Vernier asked after a few minutes. "Are you stuck? Is this a thing that happens to elves? Should I try to revive you before Rebecca gives you a witchy makeover?"

0608itwasoak.gif

"Not necessary, my sweet!" I exclaimed as a bell seemed to go off in my mind, and I remembered. "I have it! You were talking about oaks! A noble tree indeed, long-lived and sturdy, an excellent source of building wood and acorns. Not my favorite tree, however!"

"Did you hear that?" she interrupted before I could tell her about my favorite trees. "It sounded like a bell tinkling."

"That was just me remembering," I explained. "Now then, the yew -"

"No, there was definitely a bell somewhere out there. Hmm. I don't hear it now. Maybe it was a stray sheep at the edge of the forest. Anyway, it wasn't oak trees I was talking about. I was trying to say that you should speak with Oak Marten to see if her family is still interested in helping you. At the very least you should hear her side of the story, and offer condolences over the Marten family's heavy financial losses as a result of their openly supporting the hair cult."

"Didn't they all move away though?" I asked. "I feel pretty sure I heard that."

Quote:>Rebecca: Call out to Adler that you need help with the book again.
>Adler: Tell Rebecca to meditate on what she's read so far until you are finished with your meeting with Vernier. Your new hyper-concentration demands you finish this before you can be distracted. Also, it will help the book's lessons stick in her mind.

0608waitasec.gif

"My Lord," Rebecca called. "Pardon the interruption, but I've come to another encoded section."

"I've got to stay focused on my conversation with Vernier right now," I replied. "Take a break and meditate on what you've read so far. I'll consult with you as soon as I can."

Quote:>Ixie: Declare yourself a winner over Rebecca interrupting before Adler was finished.
>Other Ixies: Complain that bet was invalid since there were no takers.
>Other Ixies Still: Declare the bet was valid since you did place bets on it!

"A winner is me!" one of the Ixies proclaimed. "The rabbit interrupted before he was finished."

"Invalid bet!" another Ixie declared. "There were no takers!"

"Forsooth, there were some takers," another Ixie called glumly.

"Don't you insects have anything better to do?" Vernier groaned in exasperation. "Why don't you go investigate that bell I heard?"
The Ballad of Adler Young: Silly furry elf adventure. Read the RECAP: https://adleryoung.tumblr.com
Steampup: Surreal dog-headed Victorian adventure.  Winterbough Saga Wiki:  Everything we know about Faerie, its history & inhabitants.
See an edited recap of Zandar's Saga, and new pages at my Patreon.  Peruse original music at Bandcamp.
*Adorable plum-munching Mavis avatar by the incomparable Tronn.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 09-08-2016, 04:46 AM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 09-30-2016, 04:05 AM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by tegerioreo - 06-09-2022, 01:57 AM