The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

Quote:>Rebecca and Ixie: Argue about  the merits of witchy (goth) fashion with the other ixies.
>Adler: Your mind begins spiraling about all the trouble Vernier could be in. You start hyperventilating.

0922panic.gif

"I'll have you know," Rebecca declared to the Ixies, "that witchy fashion is the absolute height of sophistication!"

"Thou lookest like some dead thing that just crawled from its grave."

"Precisely!"

I could not keep up with their argument as I became more fixated on the scrying orb.  Why wasn't it working?  Vernier was a very clever and insightful femme.  Surely when she saw her orb go blank at the edge of the forest, she would have turned right around and headed back.  Right?  So why wasn't I picking her up?  Something must have happened!  Something TERRIBLE!

Quote:>Adler: Command everyone to be quiet. Send ixies to find vernier, make sure she's okay, and bring her back

"SHUT UP EVERYONE!!" I yelled, as Rebecca was in the midst of explaining how black was the new tartan.  "I can't concentrate with all that racket!  I think some misfortune has befallen Vernier.  Ixies, go find her and bring her back."

"But Sire, what if the raccoon monster awakens whilst we are away?"

"GO FIND VERNIER," I bellowed.  "That's an order!"

Quote:>Adler: Try to get the scry orb to work again. Vernier could be hurt! What if she's lost? What if she's been captured? What if she broke her leg? What if she tucked the scry orb in her blouse like she said she would?

I clutched the orb and concentrated as hard as I could, trying to see through it.  Could Vernier be lost?  No, I had ordered the trees to conduct her along the easiest route.  Could she be hurt?  I realized with dismay that I had specified the easiest route, not the safest.  She could be lying in a gully somewhere with a broken leg!  Or what if ... what if there were rabbits patrolling the edge of the woods, and they captured her?  I hoped that she had the presence of mind to quickly tuck the orb into her blouse, as she said she would.  Maybe she did that in any case -

Quote:>Suddenly the orb begins working again.
>Vernier: *she is completely fine* "Oh, there you are.

0922report.gif

"Oh, there you are," she said as the orb suddenly came to life again.

"Are you all right?  Are you hurt?  Have you been taken prisoner?  Tell me where you are and we will mount a rescue!" I blurted.

"I'm fine," she stated.  "What are you talking about?  I have not been taken prisoner and am on my way back to your location."

"What happened?  Why were you off the orb for so long?"

"It wasn't that long, was it?" she asked.  "I reached the edge of the forest and the orb went blank, so I was going to turn around and head back ... but Ash Marten was there."

"That fiend!" I groaned.  "That scoundrel!  What did he do?"

"He was very polite.  He said that he had anticipated this move, and he gave me something to bring back for you."
The Ballad of Adler Young: Silly furry elf adventure. Read the RECAP: https://adleryoung.tumblr.com
Steampup: Surreal dog-headed Victorian adventure.  Winterbough Saga Wiki:  Everything we know about Faerie, its history & inhabitants.
See an edited recap of Zandar's Saga, and new pages at my Patreon.  Peruse original music at Bandcamp.
*Adorable plum-munching Mavis avatar by the incomparable Tronn.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 09-08-2016, 04:46 AM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 09-30-2016, 04:05 AM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by tegerioreo - 09-23-2021, 02:10 AM