The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5

Quote:>Lysander: Go into an infomercial style sales pitch. Explain all the top o' the line firearms you have for sale.
>Adler: You... Don't understand any of this technical talk. Start griping about how low-class and uncivilized firearms are. What's wrong with bows and swords?
Remind Adler that if he wants to compete in the modern age, he needs to stay with the times. If everyone else has guns and artillery then so should Adler.

1104salepitch.gif

"Perhaps you're interested in the new Blammington Double Dealer," Lysander continued without missing a beat. "It punctures! It ruptures! It makes shrapnel fly! With two precision-milled barrels and a reciprocating dual flintlock action, you can say goodbye to your pesky old matchlock once and for all! No need to carry smoldering matchlights! No telltale smoke and sizzling! The stealth weapon for all occasions, with two - count 'em TWO deadly shots for the price of one!"

"I don't know what any of that means," I admitted. "But it all seems rather Unseelie. What's wrong with good old bows and swords?"

"These new weapons give you the advantage of inflicting grievous bodily harm from a safe distance," Lysander explained. "You can blam your enemies to smithereens before they have a chance to reach you! And besides, they've all got guns, so if you don't you're at a serious disadvantage."

"If I wanted to blam someone to smithereens," I remarked, "I would just use magick. And how is it any tactical advantage having these contraptions if everyone else is similarly armed? It seems you'll have only arrived at a stalemate."

"Which is why it's necessary to keep abreast of the latest technology," Lysander declared. "He who falls behind is dead meat!"

"Do any of your weapons use a form of steamed exploding powder?" I inquired slyly.

"No, what is that?" Lysander replied with visible perplexity.

Quote:>Adler: You are not interested in buying firearms (yet. .).
>Even if you have the money who would you give them too, your hairdresser cult ?
>Vernier: Maybe a couple of weapons for the cult, for self defense ? Something portable by a lady.
You're going to have to convince your cult to be soldiers ? They joined a cult about having pretty hairs

"It just might be the future of warfare," I stated with a mysterious grin. "But no, I think for now I don't need to buy any guns. I have a cult of hairdressers, not an army of war-hardened soldiers. As far as I know, Oak is the only one with any mercenary experience."

1104whatineed.gif

"That Marten girl with the gorgeous curls?" Lysander exclaimed. "Really?"

"Actually, sir," Vernier interjected, "we could use a few small sidearms for self defense. Something small and dainty for a femme to carry."

"The O'Daisies Blunderette is just the thing!" Lysander proclaimed. "It's the lightest gun in their product line, weighing in at a mere six pounds, and can be easily concealed and carried under voluminous flowing skirts. It packs a punch, with its patented scatter-shot that can clear a room."

"All right, perhaps we'll get some of those," I acquiesced. "Is five enough to start with?"

"That should suffice for now," Vernier nodded.

Quote:>Lysander: Point out that you have a VERY large family. Many, many cousins that can move a lot of product very quickly, and not just weapons. You can get Adler ANYTHING he needs.
Lysander: "I can you need guns, knives, pipe weed, a new horse and carriage, I can get you issues of Jane the Lowfolk Femme that aren't even out yet
>Vernier: NO! Not more monkeys!

"Anything else, you name it," Lysander grinned as he noted the order in a tiny book he pulled from his pocket. "I can procure more than just weapons, you know. I've got family connections all over the place. You want knives, tools, pipeweed, lumber, corn, ants, antcarts, even copies of Jane that aren't out yet in Eire? My supply network can get it for you."

"I would advise caution, sir," Vernier whispered. "Involved dealings with his extended family could result in the whole countryside being overrun with monkeys."

Quote:>Adler: Anyway what you are interested in is /where/ those weapon come from
>Adler: You want him to be your spy on .... however the dichess op' daisy organisation call itself, wherever it could be now.
>Adler: That's the kind of informations you are interested in.

"It's not goods I'm interested in," I explained. "So much as INFORMATION. Can you tell me about where these weapons are made? You mentioned O'Daisies. Is the Duchess still in business? Where? How big is her operation? And -" (suddenly remembering something I had read in one of the scry-tower logbooks) "- have you ever heard of a place called Skeorlesburg or Skeorle Tor?"
The Ballad of Adler Young: Silly furry elf adventure. Read the RECAP: https://adleryoung.tumblr.com
Steampup: Surreal dog-headed Victorian adventure.  Winterbough Saga Wiki:  Everything we know about Faerie, its history & inhabitants.
See an edited recap of Zandar's Saga, and new pages at my Patreon.  Peruse original music at Bandcamp.
*Adorable plum-munching Mavis avatar by the incomparable Tronn.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 09-08-2016, 04:46 AM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by a52 - 09-30-2016, 04:05 AM
RE: The Ballad of Adler Young, Canto 2.5 - by tegerioreo - 11-05-2020, 03:55 AM