Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system
(Allo copine!)

What you have in terms of stats is original, yet workable. I like it.

Quote: So yeah, if anyone knows a not as tedious way to ask players to create their own domain and skills, that'd be fabulous.

So I gave it some thought with the ideas you've put down so far, and here's an idea. Indeed, it would be way too complex and risky to make a game where players contribute parts to the basic game mechanics themselves every time they play, but structuring the game so that players can put the available pieces together in a customized way that defines their characters is the solution to that.

Kind of like having multiple races and multiple classes for the player to combine into a character (not contributing their own classes and races.) Now imagine applying the same kind of logic to 'element' + 'action' = skill, for each skill, to suit your character's growth while creating novel combinations.

Ex.: The game provides a list of aspects. You're scrolling through it and...
[...]
Sound
Squid
Roofing
Fire
[...!!]

OMG FIRE! [strike]It's so easy to explain so you pick it[/strike]
You are now a Fire god aspect.
The GM informs you that you start with uh, 2 points, and tells you to use them to make your first evah skill(s).
Obviously, your skill is going to involve fire. But HOW?! O: To find out, you look at the actions available under each stat, ALSO provided by the game system.

Power
1- Create - You made it happen. It was you. (Increases the quantity you can make at a time)
2- Intensify - Make it stronger (Increase damage multiplier)
3- Grow - Make it bigger (increase AoE)

Mind
1- Craft - Manipulate the shape of the thing. The more you raise this skill, the farther you can bring the thing away from its original shape.
2- Stabilize - Increases how long it lasts/stability, try not to make something freaky like an eternally laughing puppet kplxthx
3- Imbue - Imbue element/thing with your will. (At a low level, imagine making a candleflame dance coz you made it full of your DANCE DANCE feels untz untz untz. At a high level, you could pretty much give the candleflame a personality and pseudo-life)

Soul
1- Detect - You can sense where it is and understand its nature. (Increases scope/range/detail of this power)
2- Project - You can perceive and communicate through the aspect more and more clearly. (Don't peek on people through candleflame omg) (And don't suddenly start whispering through it without warning) (plz)
3- Channel - Summon a spirit or deity of the aspect into your own body for some time to help. (Moar bffs!)

Body
1- Buff - Your normal weapon/own body gets the added effect of your aspect element.
2- Absorb - You can absorb the element/aspect for increasingly epic healz.
3- Become - You straight up become made of that element/aspect for an increasingly long maximum duration. BO

Dexterity
1 - Flow - Control thing's speed and movement with more and more skill and precision (speed, accuracy, damage)
2 - Dance - Control/flow more and more of the thing at a time. (AoE, damage)
3 - Ride - You can actually move through that aspect element, essentially riding it/teleporting through it in a dematerialized state so long as it's all connected somehow. You can move longer and longer distances as you raise this skill.

So you're all liek, yeah, when I was building my Fire Aspect I wanted to have a mega hott bod [/shot] so most of my stats are in Body, I'll probably take Buff (1 pt) as my first thing I can do with Fire. Therefore I can give my hair a fire buff, and whip it back and forth at my enemies, aww yeaa. But wait! I have one more point to spend! And I certainly don't want to sacrifice the chance of having two skills for the one other Body skill I can invest in (Absorb, costing 2 pts) because then I'll only have a single low level healing spell and no more Buff! Omg! Now that I think of it, wouldn't it be great to have a longer fire whip coming out of my hair? For that, I'll need to shape fire into a whip! So I'm putting my other point into the first Mind skill, Craft.

Also, this is purely roleplay but I think I'd like to name my Fire Craft and Fire Buff combined technique INFERNO'REAL.

Anyways yeah. So long as every part of the system is clearly defined (every lego block crafted to fit in with the others) letting people build stuff out of those blocks would be muy fun and creative.

I feel the need to mention that fire powers are one of my least favorite because they're pretty much every shonen protagonist ever 8'D...

Messages In This Thread
Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-14-2013, 04:51 AM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-15-2013, 05:03 PM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-15-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Mythee - 03-16-2013, 02:39 AM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-16-2013, 03:17 AM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-17-2013, 05:47 AM
RE: Eskero: The pen and paper RPG system - by Gen - 03-18-2013, 03:37 PM