One thousand ugly free-user watermarks - Game Maker thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alright so i've noticed a good portion of Eagle Timers are interested in game making, with Game Maker being their primary choice of software. I've always been interested in game making but just recently started messing around in Game Maker, so instead of making my own dumb thread about my own dumb projects that would probably go nowhere, i decided to make a general Game Maker thread for code sharing and question answering!

As i mentioned, i have little experience with the software, yesterday i did a very basic side-scrolling shmup with quickly made graphics by following a tutorial, it's far from finished but it helped me understand a lot about basic code making!

Also, i found this free to use platformer engine, it was used in Ninja Senki.

It's supposedly easy to modify but i couldn't do jackshit without messing up the code, i have several ideas for games but for now i think i'll stick with learning the basics and maybe doing simple games. What about you guys?

Helpful Links and Stuff™:

(09-20-2012, 09:28 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »You can find 8.0 Lite for download here if you would like to avoid ugly watermarks. The Lite version has always been free, so I assume linking to it is ok? Said link also has the blessing of the original author of the software, although I realise that has no legal standing.

(09-22-2012, 05:01 PM)Mehgamehn Wrote: »I'm posting this for all peoples to see, its a guy talking about Solid and why it sucks, and it also specifically mentions exactly what's going on with the walls.

https://soulred12.wordpress.com/2008/07/...ker-solid/

Quote:So you want to know how solid really works? Well, it’s pretty simple actually. When actions or code is placed in a collision event for a solid object, the two objects cannot overlap. So if you have non-solid objPlayer, and solid objBlock, and you add a collision event in objPlayer for objBlock, then whenever objPlayer bumps into objBlock it will be kicked back to the last hopefully non-colliding position. Same thing with the block; if it happened to be moving and the player was stationary, the block still could not enter the player.

Now you may be wondering why I said, “hopefully” above. Well, if your object is moving and touches a solid object, it will be moved out of it. However, if the object starts there or gets placed overlapping the solid object, suddenly, you can’t move at all. And it’s not really your fault (aside from using solid) because you didn’t tell GM to do this; you just told GM to make the wall solid.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]

Messages In This Thread
One thousand ugly free-user watermarks - Game Maker thread - by Infrared - 09-15-2012, 06:26 AM