This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stabs
I meandered upon this article; my overall opinion on it is "fuck yes". (That's coming from a scientist, though, so I may be biased.)

I guess this made me realise that there should be some kind of equivalent of the Hippocratic Oath for scientists, where being able to convey your discoveries to others (laypeople and school kids, not just your contemporaries) is just as important as the discovery itself. An entire society with a scientific mindset would be an amazing thing, although I'm probably idealising that a fair bit.

All in all, it just cements my view that popularising science (at least, my ecological-bent science Schadenfruit) is gonna be a crucial part of whatever I end up doing after I graduate. Hard to say yet what kind of capacity I'd do it in, but I suppose I've got time to figure that out.

E: The article also linked to this, which has illustrations and descriptions by kids of what they think a scientist is, before and after visiting a centre of particle physics research.

[Image: davida.gif]

Messages In This Thread
[SERIOus] - by g0m - 04-17-2012, 03:06 AM
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stabs - by Schazer - 06-17-2012, 08:44 AM
can you form a cohesive thought? - by Norivia - 09-01-2012, 01:32 AM
a52's Ear Infection Adventure - by a52 - 10-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Goodbye - by Reyweld - 04-11-2020, 04:41 AM