The Problems Thread

The Problems Thread
RE: The Problems Thread
So, since posting this, I've seen that I was wrong about the flipping tables thread.

This is a good thing.

A rule thumb, I'm starting to figure out, is that if you want to say something nice or helpful, you don't need worry too much about where you put it.

That being said, I want to share something that, for the last couple of years, has been really helpful for me when I've found myself dealing with conflicts, personal issues, or just general unhappiness.

I'm going to use generalizations - not because they are scientifically true for all people (that would be a laugh), but because I know that my brain is wired to work with generalizations. When I am not feeling 100%, it helps if I can skip past all the "maybes" and "sometimes" and jump straight into what I know helps me.

Really, these are just tools you can use. If you think they might be helpful, then pick them up and use them, but if these tools don't work for you, feel free to set them down and try something else.

Also - and this is the important part - if one of you has some similar tools or principles that have helped you out, it would be great to see them shared here.

-----------

So one set of tools I use for answering "Why do I feel sucky about this?" comes from an idea called the "7 desires of the heart". These desires are fairly universal, and although some are more important than others for different people, it's often better to describe them as needs.

When I find myself feeling "blugh". ("blugh" could be depressed, irritable, ashamed, all sorts of things) this is when I scroll through this checklist and try to figure out just what I feel like I am lacking.

So here is the list:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
seven desires of the heart

To be heard and understood
SpoilerShow

To be affirmed
SpoilerShow

To be blessed
SpoilerShow

To be safe
SpoilerShow

To be touched
SpoilerShow

To be chosen
SpoilerShow

To be included
SpoilerShow

If you’ve managed to plow through these 3000+ words of rambling thoughts and advice, first off- Thank you! I've been wanting to share these thoughts for awhile. I know it isn't an easy read, partly because the topic is so broad but also because I tend to skip over things when writing - It's not the most helpful combination.

Secondly, tell me how I’m wrong, or if something that you read struck a chord with you, good or bad, share it with me! Just snip out the quote or part you liked or hated and we’ll talk about it. Or Don’t! It’s up to you!

While hashing through this, I’ve noticed a lot of things and underlying themes that I hadn’t before. It's clear these 7 groups have lots of overlap, but like I’ve said, they're just tools. They may be helpful ways to think about things, or not. But I do hope that somehow, this can help bring a little bit of clarity to all our crazy feels.

Messages In This Thread
The Problems Thread - by btp - 03-16-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: The Problems Thread - by btp - 04-21-2016, 07:18 PM
RE: The Problems Thread - by Mirdini - 04-21-2016, 08:22 PM
RE: The Problems Thread - by sfou - 04-22-2016, 01:55 AM
RE: The Problems Thread - by Loather - 04-22-2016, 03:35 AM
RE: The Problems Thread - by Plaid - 04-22-2016, 05:55 AM
RE: The Problems Thread - by Solekii - 04-22-2016, 06:58 AM
RE: The Problems Thread - by btp - 04-22-2016, 02:13 PM
RE: The Problems Thread - by OTTO - 04-22-2016, 05:23 PM
RE: The Problems Thread - by Justice Watch - 04-24-2016, 06:53 AM
RE: The Problems Thread - by Dragon Fogel - 04-24-2016, 07:13 AM