Music

Poll: Your musical genre?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.23%
31 35.23%
No
21.59%
19 21.59%
All of the above
43.18%
38 43.18%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music
RE: Music
SpoilerShow
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Have been watching Blake’s 7 episodes instead of doing whatever it is I’m supposed to be doing lately. For those who have no immediate desire to watch late 70s British low-budget sci-fi (the average “Federation base” looks an awful lot like a 20th century oil refinery...), let me attempt to explain how perfect this theme is. Basically, while catchy, it’s a bit overdone and sentimental. This might normally work against a piece, except that the show is a bit heavy on the dreary, nihilistic, “bloody miserable” side. A number of episode endings really can’t be deemed happy ones—regardless, it transitions right into that fanfare (it starts just a moment before the end credits actually show). It’s a great emotional release.

Also, the synth cadence with the title card is very nice.
SpoilerShow
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Two things:

1. This rules

2. Woah, Alec Costandinos was apparently involved in Aphrodite's Child. Who knew? You, probably. But it's news to me.
^Beautiful

SpoilerShow

Listened to this album for the first time yesterday. Why have I not been listening to St. Vincent? This rules.
Man I can't stop listening to Eloise. So good.

SpoilerShow
It's been two months since this album released, and I still can't stop listening to it. Definitely worth preordering.

SpoilerShow
Some excellent jazz-funk

SpoilerShow

I want John Zorn to sit in a chair beside me and make those faces when I'm going about my daily activities

BONUS: Listen to Mike Patton sing a tasteful Christmas song

SpoilerShow
OKAY GUYS CHRISTMAS IS IN A WEEK. (seeing as it's the 18th where I am right now)

IT'S TIME.

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I said only once, but
SpoilerShow
I went ahead and listened to literally everything you put in that post, including the full Uncle Tony's Coloring Book album. (Which I really liked, thanks for the heads-up!) Thing is though: I'm not sure you CAN have a funky, four-on-the-floor Endtroducing (though that Heartbreaker song that samples The Pharcyde comes DAMN close.) It can be fantastic in its own right, maybe strike the same vibe, but it's not going to be Endtroducing. Endtroducing has a moody, soulful, organic sound of its own, which is why we place it on a pedestal, which is why we madden ourselves trying to find a proper spiritual successor. Since I Left You is the one people always seem to recommend, and unlike you, I love that record, but the two albums only have "made entirely from samples" in common — you really might as well recommend Plexure Plunderphonics if those are your criteria.

Soulmates might not have the strong, emergent compositions of Endtroducing (it did, after all, start off as a beat tape,) or even be half as spiritual and spaced-out (although, if you threw a few reverb filters on it...) but I think absolutely NAILS that dusty sonic space that up until now I have considered a niche confined to Endtroducing alone. I mean, just listen to the drum programming on Green Means or Tone Therapy. They're like siblings. (I really oughta go listen to the other Nobody albums sometime...)
Diggin' that Wuz

SpoilerShow
(12-18-2013, 05:29 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »The above all sample the same sort of funk, soul and jazz records you'd expect to hear sampled on instro hip hop records (and don't do a lot of chopping, like Shadow doesn't); I did not recommend them purely because they are sampley. I made a conscious effort to stick to that and not recommend a lot of great house records that are nothing but disco samples.

I think you may have taken my irrelevant digression on Since I Left You the wrong way, I was just agreeing with you that it was a bad comparison is all. I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you were just recommending me stuff that had samples in it. I did see what you were going for with the more danceable stuff and enjoyed it all. After I wrote my last post I went back and listened to Endtroducing again and they enabled me to hear new angles to it, so kudos.
SpoilerShow

bass solo at 2:31 though

I think Metal Fatigue is the best Allan Holdsworth album get at me jazznerds
The only other examples I can think of are things you've shown me haha

I like that track!

Here's something non-dancey in 6/8

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
This is what the Nile Rodgers/Daft Punk collab should have sounded like

The other new track on the dude's Soundcloud is good too, more deep house-y
SpoilerShow

so beautiful
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

(12-24-2013, 04:19 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

I have mentioned this record before, but you should hear it in its entirety, Stij. It's really unique.

For the uninitiated, it is a hippie satire of both The Wizard Of Oz and Orange County (under the impenetrably clever sobriquet "Lemon County") political conservatism told entirely on Moog synthesizers.

I don't really have to say any more than that. But the music was written by unsung Moog pioneer Mort Garson. It is at times both atonally experimental and hauntingly beautiful. You're just not going to hear anything comparable.

I found an interesting review of it.
I've tried to listen to this a couple times and I dunno, I can't really get into it. It's a fun, interesting idea and there are a lot of nice Moog sounds throughout, but this just isn't the sort of thing I would sit down and listen to for pleasure.
SpoilerShow
Stumbled on this in my Youtube suggestions today. Some rare groove from Poland, of all places. I like it! Supes, you might too.

SpoilerShow

I like that Bamboo track too. Laid-back but it's got really interesting percussion.
SpoilerShow

This is a little too self-conciously trendy for my tastes, but it's been stuck in my head all day and I dig those vocal harmonies
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow