The Pokémon Challenge Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

There's this thing going around where people take on challenges in their Pokémon games, and record their adventures. Such challenges include:

- Monotype: Use only one type of Pokémon. Dual-types are acceptable.
- Solo: Use only one Pokémon in battles. HM Slaves are fine to use, but not to battle.
- Nuzlocke: If a Pokémon faints, it's considered dead, and cannot be used anymore.

... and many more! This is the thread where you can log your adventures, post by post. Use whatever fancy formatting you feel like, or don't. It's up to you, really. You can ask around for a different challenge idea, or even post your own challenge ideas.

Adventure Index:
Garuru:
- Pokémon Crystal: Randomizer (moves and pokemon) / Nuzlocke (failed)
- Pokémon Diamond: Randomizer (pokemon) / Nuzlocke

SupahKiven:
- Pokémon Yellow: Nuzlocke

yd12k:
- Pokémon FireRed: Randomizer (all) / Nuzlocke
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
RE: Gar's Pokemon Crystal Randomlocke!
Wrong area. actual comment after I read the post. (Watch this be an actual forum game somehow)
(post 1)

Gar's Crystal (slightly)Randomlocke

Right. Hello, I'm Garuru! I'll be doing a Crystal Randomlocke. There's this neat randomizer tool which can randomize pretty much any Pokemon ROM up to B2W2. It can be found by searching UPRandomizer.

This randomizer allows me to randomize nearly any aspect of the game, from wild pokemon, moves, abilities, types, and even the names of the trainer. For now, I'm sticking to random wild pokemon and trainer pokemon, while keeping strength consistent. Also, movesets with preference for original type.

Oh, and I use a lot of profanity, so be warned.

Nuzlocke Rules:
1. If a Pokemon faints, it's dead.
2. You can only catch the first Pokemon you see in each route.
3. If you fail to catch this pokemon, it's gone.
4. Pokemon kept in your box are reserves, used to replace a dead member, from the top down.
5. No using the PC except to replace dead Pokemon.

Randomizer settings:
- Random starter/wild Pokemon (similar strength)
- Random Trainer Pokemon (similar strength)
- Random moveset (type preferred)
- Random TM/compatibility (type preferred)
- Random Items on Ground

Log 1 - Bullshit moves on bullshit pokemon.

First, the boring intro stuff! Wow, just as long as HeartGold, but less stupid (rival dropping his trainer card? really.) Aaaaanyways.
[Image: 187.gif][Image: 4.gif][Image: 152.gif]
My starters were Hoppip, Charmander, or... Chikorita. In the same slot as Chikorita, no less. I wanted to pick Charmander, but I felt Hoppip would be a more interesting experience, as it's never a starter. I can always catch a Charmander in the wild later. Maybe. Seems my lottery paid off, as it's male, and knows Mega Drain, Drill Peck, and Petal Dance. All good early moves, even if Drill Peck makes no sense on a Hoppip. Maybe it's a Drill Headbutt. Named it Fluff in my long-standing tradition of naming Pokemon after things, and moved on.

Blah blah blah did the boring stuff. People not knowing what an egg is, my Hoppip being "rare". Then I ran into my rival! He had a Charmander. Oh shit. Should have picked it in the beginning. Awaiting inevitable defeat, I went into battle.

[Image: Spr_C_Ethan.png] vs. [Image: Spr_GS_Silver_1.png]
Turn 1
Gar sent out Fluff!
??? sent out Charmander!
Charmander used Fire Punch!
Fluff lost 20 HP! (HP 2/22)
Fluff used Drill Peck!
Charmander lost over half of its HP!
Turn 2
Fluff used Drill Peck!
Charmander fainted!
Gar won!

HAhahahaha! That speed paid off, I suppose. He threw a fit, then introduced himself as "My name is ???, and I'm going to be the greatest trainer in the world." Wow. Would be badass, if you hadn't just lost despite having a type advantage. Anyways, going back into town. This time, the police officer /didn't/ suspect me right away, and Lyra /didn't/ run into the lab out of nowhere screaming for my innocence despite having only just met me a few minutes ago. Good times. I gave the rival's name as ??? because that was what he introduced himself as, right? Weird name. Must be a nickname.

Now I have Pokeballs! I ran into Route Not-1, and expected the catch-a-pokemon tutorial. But wait! It's optional!!! How the hell did an older Pokemon game actually do it right?! Said "fuck no" and moved on. My first Pokemon is... a lv. 2 Metapod. Fuck. I didn't want to catch it, expecting nothing but Harden. Then I remembered the random-moves thing. It could have Megahorn! Fought it, it had Fury Cutter. Good enough, at least it can fight. So I wore down its HP with Mega Drain, and started throwing balls at it. My smile fell, though, when I realized Fury Cutter was getting stronger, and would eventually kill my Hoppip. Tactfully, I killed it, then mourned the loss of my beautiful Butterfree named Bonaire before it even really existed.

So, going north to Route 46, I ran into a Togepi! A cute bugger, but not a Fairy type yet. Caught it easily, named it Eggshell. It has Gust, and... Softboiled! Nice move for a Nuzlocke. Then it immediately died to a Critical Hit Megahorn from a Caterpie of all things. FUCK me. Was sorely tempted to forget it ever happened and revive it, but I swallowed my pride, deposited it, and sought out my second Pokemon on the next route. It was an Igglybuff! Like Togepi, it's a cute bugger that isn't a Fairy type yet. Named it Bouncy, in honor of my legendary lv. 100 Igglybuff from way back. It has Doubleslap, and Slash. Guess it's hiding some claws in those stubby arms of his.

Milestone achieved! Cherrygrove Town! (no, the first time didn't count)
Fluff the M Hoppip lv 7
[Image: 187.gif]
- Mega Drain
- Drill Peck
- Petal Dance

Bouncy the M Igglybuff lv 3
[Image: 174.gif]
- Doubleslap
- Slash

Dead:
SpoilerShow

This time, I learned my lesson. I'll switch it out to train it up, and run away from every Caterpie because fuck that. While training, I ran into a Hoothoot with Selfdestruct. Thank GOD I switched into Fluff, who tanked that. This is getting ridiculous. So, after training, and fighting through Route 30, including YOUNGSTER JOEY AND HIS TOP PERCENT Ledyba, my team was at Bouncy lv 8, and Fluff lv 9. Went into Dark Cave, and found a Machop with MOTHERFUCKING FIRE BLAST. Named it Hothead, and cherished it. Then, on Route 31 (yes it's a separate area), I found a Smeargle! Yay! Except it doesn't learn Sketch. Probably. Still, it had Extremespeed which is very nice. Named it Postmodern.

Milestone achieved! Violet City!

Fluff the M Hoppip lv 9
- Mega Drain
- Drill Peck
- Petal Dance

Bouncy the M Igglybuff lv 8
- Doubleslap
- Slash
- Minimize

Hothead the M Machop lv 3
[Image: 66.gif]
- Detect
- Fire Blast

Postmodern the F Smeargle lv 4
[Image: 235.gif]
- Extremespeed

Dead:
SpoilerShow

Time to hunt for Pokemon! First step is the Sprout Tower. And I saw... Rattata. Which was already there in the original. Lame. Still, I tried to catch it, but a crit oneshotted it. No loss, really. Still I guess it would have been named Street Rat. I do need to be more careful while catching, though. Went to Ruins of Alph, and ran into a Shellder! Caught it, named it Barnacle, because of the tongue, and checked its moves out. Vicegrip, and Minimize. Kinda lame actually. Went to Route 36 (the Sudowoodo route) and noticed a patch of grass at the top. Pondered over whether to get a new Pokemon or get Sudowoodo later on. I decided to surprise myself, and went into the grass. It was a Vulpix! Fuck yes. Caught it, named it Fox-Fire (not unoriginal at all, really!). It has Flame Wheel and fucking Sacred Fire. Very cool. So I went to Sprout Tower and trained it up to lv 7. Then a Rattata came around. I didn't know its moves but I thought it was safe. I was wrong. It had Bone Rush, which hit FIVE times. RIP Fox-Fire. You will be sorely missed. Note to self, maybe scout for moves with a wall (Bouncy, at this point) before doing anything.

Continued training, I guess. Made it up Sprout Tower, to the top floor, then I had the WORST battle. Here, let me post a transcript.

[Image: Spr_C_Ethan.png] vs. [Image: Spr_GS_Sage.png]
Turn 1
Sage Edmund sent out Grimer (lv 6)!
Gar sent out Hothead (lv 8)! (HP 15/29)
Gar switched into Barnacle (lv 5)!
Grimer used Sludge Bomb!
Barnacle lost 11 HP! (now at 8/19)
Turn 2
Gar switched into Bouncy (lv 9)!
Grimer used Sludge Bomb!
Bouncy lost 9 HP! (now 14/31, it had taken damage earlier)
Bouncy was poisoned!
(Fuck. Well, I at least have an escape rope and some potions. But I need to sacrifice some Pokemon now. Barnacle has lame moves and is underleveled, so I would sacrifice her, switch into Postmodern, use Extremespeed, then die because Smeargle has bad stats and won't evolve. Then maybe I could finish Grimer with another, fully healed, pokemon. Maybe Hothead.)
Turn 3
Gar switched into Barnacle!
Grimer used Sludge Bomb!
Barnacle fainted!
Turn 4
Gar sent out Postmodern (lv 7)!
Postmodern used Extremespeed!
Critical hit!
Grimer lost a little over half of its HP! (Seriously, dat bulk.)
Grimer used Sludge Bomb!
Postmodern fainted!
Turn 5
Gar switched into Hothead!
Gar used Potion! (Hothead now at 29/29)
Grimer used Explosion! (THAT FUCKER.)
Hothead fainted!
Grimer fainted!
Gar won!

Honestly, I'm lucky it exploded. I'm not sure I could take it out before it swept my whole team, as Fluff is weak to poison. I escape roped out, then counted my steps to the Pokemon Center. Bouncy lived, but now I only have two pokemon left. It's time to take this seriously.

End of Log.

Fluff the M Hoppip lv 10
- Mega Drain
- Drill Peck
- Petal Dance
- Stun Spore

Bouncy the M Igglybuff lv 9
- Doubleslap
- Slash
- Minimize

Dead:
SpoilerShow

Next time: LOTS of training, and Gym Leader Falkner!

comments are very welcome, as well as suggestions on how to improve my logs.

(post 2)

Gar's Crystal (slightly)Randomlocke is over.

Yes, I lost. It is a lot harder than it sounds, because your Pokemon's stats are low defensively, but the opponent's Pokemon has really strong moves. True, you can use them too, but it's hyper offensive vs hyper offensive.

So, I lost against the Elder, right after the nasty Sage from earlier. I had trained my Pokemon up to a decent lv 13 each, but he had a Mareep (lv 7), another Mareep (lv 7), and a Slugma (lv 10). It was close, but my Bouncy was paralyzed, and Fluff was weak to fire so Slugma swept me easily.

If I ever do one again, it will be on this thread. Or maybe this could become the Official Nuzlocke Thread? If people are interested, I could totes whip up a neat OP.
Hmm. I think it would be cool run a Pokemon Yellow or something Nuzelocke if anyone is interested in a dorky let's play and my bad commentary.
Since you can't box Pikachu I don't think it's physically possible to Nuzlocke Pokemon Yellow, but if you can make it work then by all means give it a shot. I'll read it.
I'm pretty sure you can box Pikachu, actually. His walking sprite would even disappear.

Anyways, yeah I would totally read that as well. I'll get to work on a better OP, and maybe ask Schazer to do that thingy where the current OP gets bumped to the second post.

Or I could just edit it into my second post.
RE: The Pokémon Challenge Thread!
^ what garuru said. Boxed pikachu is legit.
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, welcome to:

SupahKiven's Pokemon Yellow Nuzlocke!

I'm sure you're all familiar with the Nuzlocke rules (or at least some of them), but I'll go over the ones I'm using real quick, since they are often different with each player.

Rules:
1. If a Pokemon faints, it must either be permanently boxed or released. (I'll be using the second because of the whole box thing going on with the gen 1 and 2 games).
2. You may only catch the first Pokemon you see on a route, meaning that if I screw up in any way, shape, or form and don't catch it, no Pokemon for that route.
3. Pokemon must be nicknamed. (Entirely optional and I do it anyway, but still)
4. If all Pokemon in your party are fainted at any given time, the run is over, even if you have extra Pokemon in the PC.

With that out of the way, we're (I'm) free to begin!

Part 1: The Stuff of Legends (Or not)
SpoilerShow
Okay, alright first post, I guess. I think(?) I'm doing alright with screenshots, but if you guys think I'm taking too many or too few, then tell me and I'll try and change it up a bit.
Well if this is what's happening then I guess I'm umping on the boat.

SpoilerShow

Dear diary,

I'm Sarah, and I turned 13 a few days ago. I got you for my birthday, but I wanted to wait writing in you until I got started on my journey! I should've started that day too but Old Man Oak said he hadn't gotten any beginners pokémon yet. (I think he was lying so I wouldn't start before his son! He always favors him.)
Anyway, He called me to his house and let me pick a pokémon. I grabbed a cute little lotad, and named him Jos.

SpoilerShow

It was then that Tedd Oak threw his Ralts against me. I told Lotad to set fire to Ralts (can you believe Tedd didn't even nickname him?). which worked, but the attack didn't seem to be very effective. Ralts then tried Slashing my poor little Jos with the red thing on his forehead, but I told Jos to throw mud at him to slow him down, which also did very little. A minute later we did win, mostly because it's hard to attack people if you're on fire.

I then went over to Viridian, bvut a wild Krabby attacked me on the way. Turns out they're weak to mud. Jos also learned twister, which he uses by spinning the leaf on his back. It looks so cool. Anyway once I got there some old woman asked if I could get her old man Oak's autograph, and when I said I was bizzy, she got really mad and sent me back! It's like if she wants it that bad she could just walk over here? it's not that far.

Anyway after that I did have to go back cuz she threatened to get the cops and I realized I forgot to say goodbye to mom and dad. The walk back was uneventful, I got Oak's stupid autograph and he also gave me this neat gizmo that he said he would've given me earlier if he hadn't been bizzy caring for his grandsons pokémon. As if it's my fault Jos ruled. Anyway then Tedd and I went back to Viridian and I caught Vesuvius (He's a camerupt)

SpoilerShow

Anyway,I totally forgot to actually BRING the autograph, so when I came in Viridian the old lady almost yelled at me, but I quickly told her the boy next to me was his grandson. Before he could react, she squeezed him and I ran into Viridian forest as fast as I could. If only I'd ran faster, because on the way I encountered a freligator that threw an Ice ball at Jos. Jos died. I tried throwing some balls of my own but it didn't work. I had to run back into viridian, and snuck into the pokécenter. Vesuvius is resting right now, and so am I.

I hope this goes better tomorrow.
Another update already? Wow! I have nothing to do.

Part 2: An Exercise in Screenshotting
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

Dear diary,

I didn't feel like getting up today. what happened yesterday hit me like a ton of bricks. My first pokémon didn't survive a day. Nurse Joy tried telling me I couldn't have known, and that it was okay. I didn't blieve her. Tedd came a bit later to tell me maybe I needed new purpose, and took me to the entrance to victory road. He said that he was going to become champion, and when that happened, he'd get me on the elite four. I said I wasn't sure I could do it, but he told me I could. I catched a Rhydon (Nidri), and went to route 1 to train.

Then a Scizor got outraged, critted Vesuvius dead an ohko'd Nidri before I had a chance to run away. Then the world went dark.

---------

Dear diary,

I'm Sarah, and I turned 13 a few days ago. I got you for my birthday, but I wanted to wait writing in you until I got started on my journey! I should've started that day too but Old Man Oak said he hadn't gotten any beginners pokémon yet. (I think he was lying so I wouldn't start before his son! He always favors him.)
Anyway, He called me to his house and let me pick a pokémon. I got the strangest sense of déjà vu, but I went for Pidgey. Tedd immediatly wanted to battle me with his oddish, and he won. Luckily Alexa wasn't badly hurt.

SpoilerShow

After a quick rest I went to Viridian. some old woman I didn't recognize asked me if I had Oak's autograph yet, and got really mad when I told her I didn't know what she was talking about. she sent me back to get it, and I did. It was kind of a pain. Anyway, Oak gave me a pokédex, and told me to take another one to Tedd, who was going to take the gym challenge in Pewter.

On the road back to viridian, I came across a Teddiursa. He punched Alexa, and she died. everything went black.

SpoilerShow
Here we go again. This time, it's Pokemon Diamond. And this time, moves are staying put. Hopefully this will be more sane.

Randomizer Seed:
SpoilerShow

Log 1 - Barry's Adventure! Why am I a part of this, anyways?

Well, that sure was an interesting TV program, I guess. Didn't really pay attention to most of it, though. Now, where was I? Right, Barry wanted to see me.

I went downstairs, and Mom told me what Barry was up to. I went over to his house, and my hand didn't even touch the doorknob when the door flew open, damn near breaking my hand! As I nursed my hand, Barry, who did this to me, yelled something about wanting to go to the lake, ran off, then came back. He didn't even notice that he had hurt me. What a clueless bastard. I went in after him, and he ran off again. Groaning, I followed him all the way to the lake. He blabbered all the way about how he wanted to find a Red Gyarados, like on TV. I'd be surprised if there were any Gyarados in our little lake, let alone a red one, but I entertained him nevertheless.

At the lake, we ran into a weird old guy, and someone who was probably his daughter or assistant or something. Overhearing them, we found out they weren't from Sinnoh, and they were here to study Pokemon. Pokemon, huh? Never really thought about having one, honestly. It was Barry's dream, not mine. Well, they left, and by the looks of it, they left their briefcase behind. Barry made to run into the grass, but I warned him about the Wild Pokemon in the grass. Naturally, he ignored my warning, and pulled me into the grass. Great. We examined the briefcase, then suddenly, two Starly assaulted us from behind! I made a pointed glare at Barry, and opened the briefcase, hoping there were at least Pokemon inside. There were three! A Togepi, a Pidgey, and a Bellsprout. Barry sheepishly let me pick one first, so I did. Let's see. Togepi is a baby Pokemon, not really fit for battling. Bellsprout is weak to Flying. I guess it's Flying vs. Flying. Pidgey, I choose you!

After an intense (not) battle, Barry cheered. I guess I didn't have to help him after all. Still, he picked the Grass Pokemon, Bellsprout. He was never really gifted with brains. Then, of course, the girl from earlier came back. Shit. We were busted. She yelled at us, and took the briefcase. Presumably, she ran off to tell the old man what happened. I told Barry we should return our Pokemon. He seemed reluctant, but he agreed. We ran into the old man on our way back, and he didn't even seem angry! He just told us to meet him at his lab. Weird... At any rate, we went home.

Mom later told me that old man was Professor Rowan, of Sandgem Town! She gushed over how famous he was. Funny, if he's famous, then why haven't I heard of him. Must be an old people thing. Shit, I hope Mom can't read thoughts. She demanded that I apologize to him. Ugh, fine. I went over to Sandgem. It wasn't far, but it was the first time I went alone. Normally, Mom or my neighbors would accompany me with their Pokemon. Well, now I had one! I went through the route to Sandgem, fighting other Pokemon, like I did with the Starly. I was expecting it to be easy, but it sure wasn't. Pidgey came through it battered, but looking stronger for it.

The girl from before was there already, looking petulant as usual. She motioned towards the lab, mouthing "Hurry!" I rolled my eyes, and reached over to open the door... THUD. Ow! Barry came barreling forth again, ranting on how Rowan was totally out there or something. Then he ran off again. Good riddance, I thought while nursing my hurt hand, again. I went in, and Rowan was already there. He went on about how he saw me battle at the lake, and complimented my skill. I didn't think much of it, really. Didn't I just tell it to use Tackle over and over again? Anyways, he said I should keep it. Now that was a shock. Keep it? Me? ...Well, I guess it couldn't hurt. I was allowed to nickname it, so I named it Aeris. Then Rowan gave me a PokeDex, and asked me to go around the region and search for new Pokemon. I politely said yes, then I pocketed the PokeDex. I didn't need it, and I didn't appreciate this old man telling me what to do. I'll decide what to do myself, thank you very much.

Dawn (that was her name, I guess) then led me around, declaring herself my mentor and showing me stuff like the Pokemon Center. I knew all this already, but when I tried to point that out, she ignored me and went on. Great. When she finally let me go, I went back home to tell Mom the good news. She seemed to be overjoyed at me finally leaving my room and going on an adventure, even though I told her nothing of the sort, just that I got a new Pokemon. Then Barry's mom came in, asking me to find Barry and give some package to him. Great. I said yes, though. I guess I have to go find Barry, who's off on his own adventure somewhere by now.

I met Dawn again, and she showed me how to catch a Pokemon, which, again, I already knew. Then she gave me some Pokeballs for free. Huh, cool. Glad I didn't make her angry THIS time. I went back to the route near my home, resolute to catch the first Pokemon I see, to give Aeris company. It was a Bidoof. Figures, aren't those everywhere in Sinnoh? Oh well. I went over to just beyond Sandgem, and looked for a new Pokemon. No offense, Bidoof, but you suck. The new one was a Hoothoot, which isn't so bad I suppose. At least it was a bird, like Aeris. I then rested at the Pokemon center, and let the Pokemon play with and get used to each other.

Aeris the F Pidgey lv 6
[Image: 016.png]
Ability: Tangled Feet / Nature: Gentle
- Tackle
- Sand-Attack

Chipper the F Bidoof lv 3
[Image: 399.png]
Ability: Simple / Nature: Lonely
- Tackle

Noctus the M Hoothoot lv 3
[Image: 163.png]
Ability: Insomnia / Nature: Docile
- Tackle
- Growl

End of Log

(normal monotype is go??)
I always forget hoothoot is normal/flying.
Part 3: Hot 2D Fighting!
SpoilerShow
Log 2 - Yeah, definitely a Normal monotype

I decided, since Aeris was pretty beaten up just by going through Route 201, that I would train my Pokemon. I was careful, because I didn't want them to get hurt. I don't know why, but seeing my Pokemon hurt in any way hurts me as well. So, my Pokemon slowly levelled up between trips to the Pokemon Center. I'm sure the Nurse there is tired of seeing my face by now, but let's be honest, it's not like there's much other people here. So, feeling satisfied, I moved on. There was another trainer, who came up to me, and challenged me to a battle. He said that when a trainer locks eyes, they must battle. Sounds like Ponyta crap to me, but then he sent out a Pokemon. Yeah, I'm defenseless, huh? I sent out Noctus, and he sent out Swinub. Fearing an Ice move, I switched into Chipper and took care of his Swinub easily. For an Ice-type, it didn't have any Ice moves.

Going on in this fashion, I defeated the two other trainers with little effort. Guess that training paid off after all. Still, these battles were pretty fun in a way. Anyways, I arrived in Jubilife City with little fanfare. Dawn came to me right away, as if she was waiting for me. She told me about how the Trainer's School is great and I should go there. ...Was that a veiled insult at my intelligence? She also commented how Barry is there too. Definitely insulting my intelligence. You will pay. But for now... Barry's finally (presumably) sitting still in one place.

I went into the Trainer's School, and there Barry is, looking at the blackboard. I gave him the package, and he TORE it apart. It was just a Town Map, though. Make that two. He gave me the extra one. Not like I needed it, my Pokedex has a Map already. I left, and this weird guy ran to me and called me out for not having a Poketch. A Pokewhat? Apparently it's this high-tech watch. And he'll give one to me for free! If I find all 3 clowns in the city. Whoa... it's a big city, this will be hard- oh there's one. And there's another one. Easily, I snatched the coupons, and got a shiny new Poketch! Yay! I set it to the app that shows your Pokemon's HP because that's important.

Then, my job done here, I turn around and begin to walk home. But, as I left Jubilife... well, I can't explain it. I just felt... empty. Like I'd be missing out on something big if I just went home. On second thought, sitting around at home when I've just got these cool new Pokemon seems like a waste. Aeris flitted around my head, and cheeped. Yeah, Aeris. My journey isn't over.

So, I decided to explore some more. I walked to the east. But wait. In the distance. Is that... Barry? Oh no! He saw me! He's waving! I high-tailed it out of there, and to the north instead. I ended up in the grass, gasping for breath. This area should be safe... I thought as a Nincada jumped at me. I screamed, and Aeris attacked it. It fell to the side, looking beaten already. Huh. Either Aeris was strong, or this thing was weak. I kind of felt bad for it. So I caught it, and took it to the Pokemon Center. Then I went upwards, fighting more trainers along the way. I came across a cave. Curious, I poked around, but the way seemed to be blocked by rocks, though I could just barely see through them. A dead-end, at least until I get a stronger pokemon.

On the way back out, though, I saw a Togepi! I remembered how it was one of my potential first Pokemon, so I went ahead and caught it. When I was battling it, though, it seemed to not use any attaacking moves, knowing only Growl and Charm. Guess I'm lucky I didn't pick it.
(OOC: I picked Togepi as a starter the first time. It knew only Growl and Charm. I couldn't get past the first battle.)
So! I took out my newly-acquired TM10, Hidden Power, and used it on Togepi, so it could at least defend itself. It seemed pleased to learn a new move. Through training, and extensive testing of HP, I determined its type to be Dragon-type, because it was neutral on basically everything. Sighing, I went east again. And Barry was waiting for me. He immediately challenged me to a battle, and so I entertained him once more. The battle was pretty easy, in all honesty. He sent out a Makuhita, which my Togepi effectively crippled with Charm. Then I sent in Aeris, who was about to level up, to finish the Makuhita off. It leveled up, and learned Gust. Very useful for his next Pokemon, which was of course a Bellsprout.

Having beat him, he ran off to Oreburgh, saying something about there being a gym there. I figured I could use one more Pokemon, so I went into the grass nearby. A Spoink popped out. I caught it easily; it just kept bouncing around and using Splash. At least it isn't Normal, I guess. I rested at the Pokemon Center, preparing for a long journey to Oreburgh.

Aeris the F Pidgey lv 9
- Tackle
- Sand-Attack
- Gust

Chipper the F Bidoof lv 7
- Tackle
- Growl

Noctus the M Hoothoot lv 7
[Image: 163.png]
Ability: Insomnia / Nature: Docile
- Tackle
- Growl
- Foresight

Inzek the M Nincada lv 4
[Image: 290.png]
Ability: Compoundeyes / Nature: Mild
- Scratch
- Harden

Jubilee the M Togepi lv 7
[Image: 175.png]
Ability: Hustle / Nature: Sassy
- Growl
- Charm
- Hidden Power (Dragon)
- Metronome

Gemma the M Spoink lv 5
[Image: 325.png]
Ability: Thick Fat / Nature: Gentle
- Splash

End of Log

(also, I'm adding a new rule. If Togepi uses Metronome, and it ends up being Explosion or some other suicide move, it doesn't count as a death. This is because Togepi's only way of dealing damage without a TM until like lv 33 is through Metronome.)
Part 4: Rock Hard Regime
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

Dear diary,

I'm pretty sure today already happened. Twice. I went back to oaks house and looked at the pokémon I'd get this time. I saw waiting for me a small purple snake. I decided to name him Cello, more masculine then Violet, i guess.

SpoilerShow

Anyway, Tedd threw his Aron at me, but Cello killed it in two attacks, and even Aron's Crit didn't help it. I ran out, not knowing how to approach my knowledge. I grabbed the dex and ran to Viridian, and the first pokemon I encountered was a wingull, who this time around was a dark type, immune to my attacks. I tried putting it to sleep but it had vital spirit. I blacked out.

I woke up in the old lady's house. She told me you're cursed, and asked me if I wanted to stop the resets from occurring. I did, and she took you. She scribbled some symbols I didn't recognize in you and gave you back. They're in front, see? You must've noticed that wasn't me writing then. She also said she had experience with the curse, and that if I wanted it fully broken, I'd need to catch Celebi. She also gave me a black flute, to keep pokémon from attacking me. I asked her why she was suddenly nice to me, and she said she had to be sure I was me. Then she shoo'd me out of her house onto victory road.

SpoilerShow

on the way to victory road I found a cute little Eevee and a Jynx. I named the Eevee Keet and the Jynx. I saw Tedd walking away, and he said he needed to collect all the badges if he wanted to fullfill his dream. I asked him if he wanted to be champion, and he got pretty mad that I laughed a bit and challenged me to a pokémon battle. Keet totally destroyed him too, and learned sketch as well.

SpoilerShow
Log 3 - Lovebirds Separated

I decided to train up my Inzek, because I've always liked its evolution, Ninjask. It's going to be tough going, in all honesty, but Inzek seems pumped up to get stronger. So, after a bout of training, I decided to move onwards to Oreburgh. Along the way, there were many trainers, and none of them really put up a fight. But let me detail two very interesting events.

I had my Togepi out against a Wynaut, using Metronome. Wynaut used Encore, and I was stuck in Metronome. Haha, okay. Then I beat it with some move or other, and the Lass switched in Smeargle, which then Sketched my Metronome. We proceeded to have a Metronome battle that lasted for as long as Encore lasted (which was a pretty long time, as it turns out.) Finally, I won with Hidden Power. What a battle!

The next battle was much less celebratory. It was the Youngster near the cave. Sebastian, was it? He had only one Pokemon, a Gible. I sent out Inzek. Probably easy right? But just in case, I switched out into Noctus. Well, guess what? It was level 7, the perfect level. The level where it learns Dragon Rage, AKA the OHKO move for weaker pokemon. If he had used it straight away, every time, he would definitely have swept my whole time. What really happened was he used Tackle on Noctus, and Noctus Tackled back. This went on for a while, until the Gible finished it with a Dragon Rage. Noctus, already bruised from the battle, was blown back, and hit a tree. Furious, I switched in Aeris, who would surely avenge Noctus. After a Gust, Gible was gone at last. I then ran over to Noctus. His eyes were closed, and he was barely even breathing. I ran back to the Pokemon Center, but it was a long journey back, and by the time I got there, it was too late. Noctus was dead.

Pokemon battling is not easy at all. They are powerful creatures, and an errant attack can kill. I was almost ready to give up there and then. I released my Pokemon from their Pokeballs, and was about to release them for good. But... there was something in my Pokemon's eyes. Despite their recent loss of a team member, they looked... well, resolute. Aeris in particular had a fierce fire in her eyes. Then, I remembered. Aeris and Noctus were close, weren't they? Aeris probably feels she needs to get stronger for Noctus' sacrifice. Everything we've worked for, all the hard training we've done, it would all go to waste if I just gave up here and then. These Pokemon were tough, used to the wild. They knew the law of the land, and they knew some Pokemon die. And me... well, I was a city boy. I would have to adapt.

I've decided. I will be the strongest trainer in the world, so my Pokemon will never have to feel sorrow again. I moved on, spirited. I got an HM from a Hiker inside the cave, and it was perfect for Bidoof to use, so I taught it Rock Smash. As it turns out, both of the trainers in Oreburgh Gate used Normal-types. Child's play. Then a Zubat flew into my face, catching me by surprise. Somehow, I reacted by throwing a Pokeball at it. And... it was caught. A Zubat, huh? Difficult to raise, but the result would pay off. I named it Nightflyer.

Finally, we arrived in Oreburgh. A young kid there rambled to me about the Gym, and led me there. However, Barry was already there, staring at the door. He greeted me friendly manner as usual, but it was a bit hollow. He told me that the Gym Leader was out in the mines, then he told me how tough the Gym Leader was, and that he felt worn out. That's when I knew. He had also lost a team member. I couldn't do anything but smile back. I went in the mines, curious to see what Pokemon were there. I saw a Teddiursa. Adorable little creature, but strong too. It nearly took out my Bidoof. Then I caught it, and all was okay. I named it Oso, then the Pokeball seemingly disappeared. It probably ended up in my PC box. I had 6 Pokemon already, so I guess Oso will have to wait until I decide one of my members needs a rest.

I went to the Pokemon Center to heal up my Bidoof, then I went north. Curious. This area was a bit darker than the rest, and I got a shiver up my spine. A loud scream from behind me made me jump. I whirled around, and it was a Gastly, who started cackling. Annoyed, I sent out Jubilee, who would make short work of it with Hidden Power. But Gastly was more durable than I expected. It was a long fight, and I decided to catch this one as well. I named it Phaser, and it got sent to the box again. My collection of team members really is growing.

It was probably time to train again. I rested up at the Pokemon Center. The Gym fight was going to be really tough...

Aeris the F Pidgey lv 11
- Tackle
- Sand-Attack
- Gust

Chipper the F Bidoof lv 9
- Tackle
- Growl
- Rock Smash
- Defense Curl

Inzek the M Nincada lv 7
[Image: 290.png]
Ability: Compoundeyes / Nature: Mild
- Scratch
- Harden
- Leech Life

Jubilee the M Togepi lv 7
- Growl
- Charm
- Hidden Power (Dragon)
- Metronome

Gemma the M Spoink lv 5
[Image: 325.png]
Ability: Thick Fat / Nature: Gentle
- Splash

Nightflyer the M Zubat lv 6
[Image: 041.png]
Ability: Inner Focus / Nature: Adamant
- Leech Life
- Supersonic

Boxed:
SpoilerShow

Dead:
SpoilerShow

End of Log

(thinking of cutting out the reserve system... i want that gastly)
Part 5: Call Me a Mountain Man
SpoilerShow
Part 6: Water Under the Bridge
SpoilerShow
Holy crap this page is huge Kiven might want to start spoilering your pics
Yeah, I figured that. I was taking a look at it yesterday and was just like woah. I have time now so I'll do it real quick.
Log 4 - Downfall at the Oreburgh Gym

I said earlier how the Gym battle would be tough, right? Well, I had no idea what I was in for.

I went in Oreburgh Mine, to train my Pokemon. There were some really tough Pokemon in there, like Pupitar and Shelgon. But, somehow, my Pokemon made it through alive, and they were stronger for it. I felt confident enough to take on the Gym Leader finally. Steeling my nerves, I went into the Pokemon Gym.

The first two trainers were actually pretty easy, most likely as a result of my training. But, here was my mistake. I was getting overconfident. When I finally came to the Gym Leader himself, Roark, I was expecting it to be easy.

[Image: dptr000.png] vs. [Image: dptr124.png]

He politely greeted me, then sent out his first Pokemon, a Chimchar, then let me choose my first Pokemon out of courtesy. I led with Jubilee. Jubilee's disruption tactics, including Charm and the newly-learned Sweet Kiss, would surely lead me to victory. Sure enough, Chimchar proved itself incapable of working around Jubilee, and a well-timed Doom Desire, brought on by Metronome, finished Chimchar off. That attack looked pretty powerful... Was it okay? Without hesitating, Roark sent in his next Pokemon.

A loud thud emanated, as the Pokemon in question slammed its fist into the ground. It then roared. It was a Machoke, looking very well trained, and very strong. Panicking, I switched out Jubilee into Gemma, my Spoink. I will admit to neglecting Spoink's training, because all it knew was Splash. Machoke immediately swooped in for a Low Kick, and I knew I made the right move, because the light Psychic-type did not take much damage, despite being underleveled. This gave me the opportunity to use a Potion on my weakened Jubilee. However, the unimaginable happened then.

Machoke calmed down from its rampage, and began to focus. That's right, it used Focus Energy. Then, it used a Karate Chop on Gemma, killing it instantly by hitting its weak point, the pearl on its head. Dismayed, I sent in Chipper, hoping it could do some damage in return. But alas, the defensive might of Machoke proved Chipper ineffective, and it once again OHKO'd my Pokemon with a well-placed Karate Chop. I began to despair. Karate Chop already had a high critical hit rate, but when Machoke used Focus Energy? There was no defending against that, and two of my Pokemon were dead for it. Jubilee's Charm wouldn't work. Out of desperation, I sent out Nightflyer the Zubat, who took a Low Kick... and didn't even get a scratch.

That Poison/Flying type is really helping me now. Now, all it would take is a war of attrition, from Leech Life to Supersonic. Roark began to look nervous at last, as the two Pokemon faced each other off. I realized... it was using Leer to throw off my Zubat. I commanded Nightflyer to use Supersonic, and Machoke began tripping over itself, hurting itself in the process and stopping its Leer barrage. However, Leech Life was barely even doing anything. This wasn't going anywhere. But I didn't give up. Surely Machoke would wear itself out eventually. It finally looked tired... then Roark called it over. He used a Potion on it! Yes, I could use Potions as well, so this was fair, but it felt totally unfair to me. I could cry. Machoke, looking newly rejuvenated, proceeded to use two critted Karate Chops, taking down Zubat at last. That made three down.

However, Machoke was still confused, so I got the opportunity to switch in Aeris, my beloved starter. She preened her feathers, then used Gust, again and again. It finally seemed to be doing something to Machoke, and it looked pretty damaged. But... out of nowhere, it pulled off another critical Karate Chop, and took Aeris down. She didn't have any time to react. This was it. I was no longer fit to be a Pokemon Trainer. I had lost my first Pokemon. I sent out Inzek hopelessly, and sure enough, it died to several Karate Chops. It did manage to get a few Sand-Attacks in, though.

My last Pokemon was Jubilee. My dear Togepi, who worked so hard to overcome the obstacle of being a Baby Pokemon, and made it all this way. It looked me in the eye, and chittered something I could not understand. But I knew what it was trying to say. It was telling me not to give up until the very end. Machoke was already weakened. All it would take is a Hidden Power to finish him off. Machoke reared back, and unleashed a Karate Chop at the same time that Jubilee unleashed his Hidden Power. I closed my eyes, preparing for loss.

Nothing. I opened them, and there was Machoke, its outstretched hand stuck into the ground. No way... that Sand-Attack helped? I am forever indebted to you, Inzek. What's more, Machoke seemed to have taken a Hidden Power at close range. It tottered, and finally fell. I whooped. Finally, victory! Roark withdrew his Pokemon, then tutted me. He held up a finger, and took out his last Pokeball. So there was one more. I healed Jubilee with my last Potion, and prepared myself for the fight of our lives.

He sent out a Shellos, and my Togepi stayed out. He immediately used Charm, then Sweet Kiss, crippling Shellos from the get-go. I was about to order Jubilee to use Metronome, hoping to get lucky. Then... I remembered a cautionary tale on TV. Someone had their Clefairy use Metronome, which called forth Explosion. Even though both Pokemon fainted, he was declared the loser, thanks to the Self-Destruct Clause. No way I would lose to a technicality, not after all this time.

Jubilee continued to use Hidden Power, although it barely seemed to be making a dent into Shellos. Meanwhile, Shellos used Water Pulse, which confused Jubilee, evening the score somewhat. This would be close. The both of them continued using their respective signature moves, hoping to wear down the other. But Jubilee was losing power fast. I needed to change it up. I needed... to use Metronome. Jubilee waggled a finger, and several bees spontaneously appeared, covering my Togepi with a wall of bees. Good! Defend Order would help. The fight went on, and the sun was beginning to set. Roark looked intensely focused, as did I, I'm sure. Finally... Shellos collapsed. Jubilee collapsed a second later, but with a smile on its face. I stood there, reeling with shock. We won?! We won!

I took Jubilee, spinning him in the air while celebrating. Roark complimented me on showing him the toughest battle he had ever experienced. I told him the same thing, then I took Togepi to the Pokemon Center, healing him. Now... the tough part. I lost five Pokemon in that battle, and they needed to be put to rest.

Once done, I took my remaining Pokemon, the Teddiursa and the Gastly, out of storage. Today was certainly a Pyrrhic victory, and I would make sure it never happened again. Me, and Jubilee.

Jubilee the M Togepi lv 12
- Sweet Kiss
- Charm
- Hidden Power (Dragon)
- Metronome

Oso the M Teddiursa lv 6
[Image: 216.png]
Ability: Pickup / Nature: Bashful
- Scratch
- Leer
- Lick
- Fake Tears

Phaser the M Gastly lv 6
[Image: 092.png]
Ability: Levitate / Nature: Gentle
- Hypnosis
- Lick
- Spite

Boxed:
None!

Dead:
SpoilerShow

End of Log

(seriously, that was one of the longest and toughest Pokemon battles I've ever had. i need to learn how to get over my inability to grind due to impatience.)
Part 7: Two Different Maniacs
SpoilerShow