Cosmic Encounter - PBP: Deep Space Water

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good hello!

My other Cosmic Encounter game on chocpi is almost over (a week at most), so I decided to prepare for a new game in advance.

But first: What is Cosmic Encounter? An ancient game of negotiation, strategy and bluffing. The first alien to gain five foreign colonies wins. Shared victories are possible, and might be the best way to win.

Although, the heart of the game is not about winning but doing amazing and memorable moves deals.

The game setup shall be 5 players, 5 planets to win, and aliens solely from Cosmic Dominion the expansion crafted by fans. Watch out, it will be.... terrifying. Behold, the rulebook

We'll be using revisions from the COSMODEX, which also means i don't have to copy paste cards and you can look them up anytime. You can search in there by looking for "cardname wrote".

Differences that are needed for PBP:
  • Once aliens are selected, all Flares will be known, so a script of actions can be written, which should speed up the game a bit.
  • I will always wait a bit after events which can be reacted to by cards, in case someone wants to use something evil.
  • Negotiates instead of having a one minute limit, will have a limit of six posts, but the seventh post may be a Deal Accepted.
  • "Player to your left" should be read as "Player after you on the player queue".
  • I'll give you all a quicktopic, in which I will tell you about the current cards in your hand. Much better than having to send a million private messages.
  • Please state clearly which planets you are moving ships from, and where to.
  • You may submit conditionals about how you want to use your cards and powers, so time zones will be less of a trouble.

RPing as your alien is not required but is encouraged because it is fun.

Pick a colour from the following: red, green, blue, yellow, purple, orange, white, black. Your aliens will be sent to you when all slots are filled. Choose.... wisely...

Player1: Granolaman, the Voyager
Player2: Gatr, the Yin-yang
Player3: Coldblooded, the Laser
Player4: Robust Laser, the Reactor
Player5: Jacquerel, the Tourist

1. Start of turn
1.1. If Offense has no Encounter Cards, they discard hand and draw eight cards.
1.2. Voyager may journeys planets, Super Voyager

2. Regroup
2.1. Mobius tubes
2.2. Wild Aristocrat
2.3. Plague
2.4. Offense retrieves one ship from the Warp.

3. Destiny
3.1. Offense draws Destiny card
3.2. Defense is determined.
3.3. Cruise liners moves, hazard resolved
3.4. Super Tourist, Tourists may disembark or send a postcard if possible

4. Launch
4.1. Offense sends one to four ships the the Gate.

5. Alliance
5.1. Laser blinds
5.2. Offense invites allies.
5.3. Defense invites allies.
5.4. In turn order (starting after Offense), players accept up to one invitation and send one to four ships.
5.5. Yin-yang may ally with both sides, may hand out yin-yang tokens.
5.6. Wild Laser and Super Laser
5.7. Force Field
5.8. Wild Muckraker

6. Planning
6.1. Wild Whirligig
6.2. If Defense has no Encounter Cards, they discard hand and draw eight cards.
6.3. Main players secretly choose Encounter Cards.

7. Reveal
7.1. Main players reveal cards.
7.2. Emotion Control
7.3. Wild Lizard
7.4. Main players and allies may play Reinforcements.
7.5. Winners are determined, or a deal is attempted.
7.6. Reactor hands out/takes/discards flares

8. Resolution
8.1. Wild Reactor and Super Reactor
8.2. Ionic Gas
8.3. Loser's ships and loser's allies' ships (or three ships from each main 8.4. player in an unsuccessful deal) go to Warp.
8.5. If Offense wins, Offense and their allies land on planet.
8.6. If Defense wins, their allies gain rewards.
8.7. Super Yin-yang
8.8. If a deal was made, its terms are carried out. -or- Quash
8.9. If one player played Negotiate, compensation is gained.
8.10. Non-Flare cards played are discarded.

9.Post-encounter
9.1. One of the following events occur:
9.1.1. If a deal was not made, the Offense loses, the Offense wins their second encounter, or the Offense does not want a second encounter, play passes to next player.
9.1.2. If Offense has just won their first encounter, they may have a second encounter; return to II. on this list.

Any phase:
Cosmic Zap
Card Zap
Give Reactor Flare to the Reactor if you have it in your hand and you use a super flare
Reactor collects discarded matching flares
Wild Host
Wild Voyager
Wild Yin-yang
Wild Tourist

If you see these in the discard pile, you know all of that kind has been used: Card Zap x2, Cosmic Zap x2, Emotion Control, Force Field, Ionic Gas, Mobius Tubes x2, Plague, Quash, any specific flares

Remember, you can only zap powers when they are used, some effects can not be zapped.

Player powers:
SpoilerShow
RE: Cosmic Encounter - PBP: Deep Space Water
I was once in a game that was won in 3 hours after one round of turns.

I had another game where another player over-committed ships to my side of a battle so I, The Gambler, opted to lose the fight to The Antimatter, marking the only time I've seen a 9,000,000 power encounter card successfully used in play.

I'd like to sign up as Orange please.
sure. i'll be blue.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
Out of the purple planet, out of the purple planet we are.
yo sup red me
I like cosmic encounter, I'm expecting to get another expansion this christmas .o
I'll be green, obviously
Alrighty! We won't start the game proper until my other cosmic wraps up, but there is no harm in selecting the aliens. I'll PM the two species out to you, and select one of them. You can check out the [booming voice]COSMODEX[/booming voice] for what the powers do, and the flares.
Results are in!

Player1: Granolaman, the Voyager
Player2: Gatr, the Yin-yang
Player3: Coldblooded, the Laser
Player4: Robust Laser, the Reactor
Player5: Jacquerel, the Tourist

I still have to conclude the other game but it should be soon, after that I'll craft The Script and reveal the rest of the flares too. Stay tuned!
Request to trade with coldblooded
I don't even know what the laser does but I know I want it
Fun fact: The other option I had to pick from was the Lizard, so I got to choose between being confused for another player or being confused for the GM.
Fun fact: My other option was The Aristocrat, which I didn't pick partially because the functioning of its power (allowing you to draw unused flares) would have required PL to expand his flare priority index to include literally every flare card in the game.
But also because the Tourist is funnier.
Also: Gatr's other option was the Host, which would had the same issue regarding flares, so I was doubly terrified.
Current game state:

Granolaman, the Voyager

Hand: 6
Foreign colony count: 4
A: 1
B: 1,1
C:
D: 1
E:

Gatr, the Yin-yang
Hand: 9
A: 1,1,1,4
B: 8
C: 4,1
D: 5,1
E: 8

Coldblooded, the Laser
Hand: 8
A:
B: 3
C: 3
D: 3,1
E: 3,1

Robust Laser, the Reactor
Hand: 5
A: 1,1
B: 1,2
C: 4,1,1,1
D: 2
E: 4

Cards on the reactor sheet:
None!

Jacquerel, the Tourist
Hand: 5
A: 1
B: 1
C: 2
D: 4,1,1
E: 1

Cruise Liner: Green system; 1

HYPERSPACE GATE
Offense: 4 + allies: 4+ 4
Defense YingyangB(8) + offense: 4

THE WARP:

Cosmic Deck: 37 cards
Cosmic Discard: 12 cards
SpoilerShow

Destiny Deck: 15 cards
Destiny Discard: 5 card
SpoilerShow

Encounter #1
First player is selected. Red, like the Reactor.

Regroup phase.
If anyone wants to use a thing, alert me, otherwise we'll continue to Destiny.

You may diplomatise freely, with threats and offers just don't turn it into full negotiations.
Once in the midst of our Voyages, I happened upon a strangely dressed man floating through the warp seemingly under his own power. When we took him aboard he spoke to us in strange ancient anachronisms that conveyed more his history of influence and power than any particular message he meant to speak. Though we could not understand each other he treated us amiably enough. We shared a friendly cup of tea in mutual incomprehensibility before he gathered up his things, tipped his hat and walked back out into the warp. As I pondered our peculiar meeting I realized he'd left something behind. A gift perhaps, from his own journeys in the warp. One day, after we conquer the galaxy, I hope to find him again so that we may return the favor.

USE WILD ARISTOCRAT
As nobody played a card Zap, Granolaman gets some time to look at the deck, pick a card, and the flare gets discarded (not on the Reactor as there is no Aristocrat in play). I have sent the contents of the deck to your QT.
Oh wait I forgot: Jacquerel do you want to place ships on your cruise liner, and if yes, from which planets?

I'll resolve the aristocrat flare after you picked the ships (and update the game state with them, as I should have let them aboard during the game setup).
I would like to move four eager tourists onto our luxury cruise liner, one from each of planets A, B, D, and E.
Thank you. Carry on selecting, Granolaman.
I have identified the Aristocrat's gift, carry on with the turn.
Carrying on, Destiny Phase.

Purpleis drawn! The Reactors will have an encounter with the Laser.

Tourist Cruise Liner
No hazards were drawn, so the cruise liner must move either counterclockwise (Reactor system) or clockwise (Voyager system). You can not disembark in those system, but you can still use your power to send postcard home!
To the outside universe, it may strange that a species with no sentience or physical form somehow managed to achieve FTL space travel all on its own. But if you're well versed on the multiverse theory, you of course know that nothing is truly impossible, just mindbogglingly unlikely. Scientists agree that the Lasers statistically had to exist somewhere, but why oh why did it have to be this universe of all places?

Strange lights begin to dance around the Reactor ships, like an interstellar aurora borealis. Slowly but surely, the lights morph into letters in the night sky spelling out a message by complete coincidence.

"Greetings fellow Laser. You are welcome here, as long as you come in peace. Please meet us at the negotiating table, and we can work out a deal that benefits the both of us."
Let's set sail counter-clockwise, rumour has it that the Reactor fleet is assembling for a warp voyage and that's surely a sight to behold.
It's a bit early for postcards though!
Destiny phase completed, proceed to Alliance.

First the Reactor invites, then the Laser. After that, you may accept/decline in turn order, starting with Jacquerel. Yin-yang may use their power when it is their turn to accept/decline.
Open invitation to anybody that wants to join me in a fight. We'll have a laugh, shoot some spaceships, stand dangerously close to a highly radioactive and perhaps unstable warp engine, maybe grab a drink or two... it'll be great.

There'll be three ships joining you, from planets A, B, and D. Planet C has something going on, they're busy. And, well, you know planet E.