Black Zenith [Adventure RPG / Chapter Four: Fires of Heaven]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Zenith [Adventure RPG / Chapter Four: Fires of Heaven]
RE: Black Zenith [Adventure RPG / Chapter Four: Fires of Heaven]
((Fair enough!))

Myra hummed pleasantly upon hearing Torhald's suggestion, and stretched out her limbs to prepare for the next onslaught of events. "Well, we sure aren't gonna get anywhere just sitting around. And I peckon we'll definitely land ourselves dead or in jail if we remain near that crater." She turned to face the Half-Imp with an expectant expression. "Ready when you are."
Bohw groaned in contempt as she rested her head in one hand, still mourning over the situation. "Well, I don't think we have much choice, do we? That's why I was trying to go silently while getting the rest of you off the hook so you can all go searching for the damn crystal." Sighing and shaking her head, Bohw straightened up, finally showing signs of returning back to a healthy mentality. "Course, I didn't knew that it was a requirement for guards to be insanely paranoid and suicidal. But what's done is done, I think I got a plan."

"We can't survive another engagement, period. I don't know what fairytale world you live in Watson, but one of ours d-... died back there and a lot of us had close shaves." Bohw stated, idly touching the front of her chest as she said that. "I don't care about your honor, morales or whatever. Don't engage the guards unless you absolutely have to. Hopefully, they don't know what we look like, but if things go bad, we have a hostage to bargain with, or we can do plan 'run away while scary demon me does distracting murder things'."

With a grunt, Bohw began to head to the center of town as Mayor hurried after her, "If there's no complaints, keep quiet, we're moving, stealthily."
After taking a moment to rest up and rejuvenate, the group heads out again, leaving Torhald behind with Selphy and Nos. Myra discreetly scouts a path through a series of narrow back alleys that should lead relatively close to the keep. It seems as through you are the only living people left in the city as you move through it, as there is no trace of neither citizen nor guardsman. Even as you come within range of the fort, a peek at the gate leading into the main courtyard reveals that even that stands abandoned.
Watson feverishly walks toward the gate. He seems nervous. Where are the people. There must be some. Watson needs more social stimulation and he needs it now.

He callously shouts, "HEEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

SpoilerShow
Myra stalked closely along the shadows and hard-to-detect places as they made their way to the gates, stopping in a hiding place as Watson continued up ahead. She stared dubiously ahead at the gentleman, until his shout startled her and made the ravenfolk girl jump in place. "Idiot! What is he doing? How are we going to get anything accomplished by attracting more attention? Didn't we just agree that getting caught up with more guards is the last thing we need right now!?" She hisses before muttering out an incantation to augment the next spell she casts, not knowing what will happen within the next few moments.

((An Augment Spell spell is like...a thing, right? A spell to boost the potency of the next spell you cast? 8I;;;;;

Also thanks for the bump in the right direction, yo))
Savannah was creeping, silently making sure that they were alone, up until Watson opened his big fat mouth. She glares and punches him in the arm.

"Don't do that, you blithering idiot!" Savannah growls a harsh whisper at him. "We don't wanna attract more attention that necessary. Don't tell me that explosion from earlier made you dumber than normal."
Watson shouts. Myra and Savannah berate him. Myra empowers her next spell.

But nothing happens.

SpoilerShow
Watson attempts to climb the wall. There are probably no footholds for him to do so, but he attempts it, regardless.

SpoilerShow
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]
Most of the wall is blocked by other nearby buildings, save for the section immediately around the gate. If you searched the backalleys you could probably find a suitable place to start climbing... But then again, maybe you could just sort of walk right in the gate?

SpoilerShow
If this MAY OR MAY NOT be an ambush, he'd rather peek right over the wall, they wouldn't be checking there! So he goes to the back alleys to climb.

Did Watson mention it also gives a nice view? Because it is undoubtedly clear there is absolutely no one there...

"There is nothing and no one across the horizon for many, many miles," Watson groans in an unrefined manner. "We have nothing to worry about, which is worrying me."
With better chances of a successful retaliation in case of any trouble, Myra decides that she could afford walking through the gates. As she proceeds with caution, the ravenfolk keeps her eyes out for any traces of magic nearby that may give note to traps, spells, or anything else a sneaking fugitive might not want to ignore the presence of.
"Well we might as well milk it for all it's worth then, shouldn't we?" Savannah crosses her arms, following Watson back into the alleys. She arches an eyebrow.

"Watson, what are you... You know what? I'm not going to question it. I'm going to go follow Myra. Don't get yourself killed." She rolls her eyes and exits the alleyway, heading through the fort's gates after Myra.
Watson runs off in search of a back alley, eventually finding one ending up against the wall. Ofcourse, the wall has no handholds so Watson pulls out his two greatswords and start using them as a pair of really, really ungraceful climbing picks. It is a long and undignified climb.

Meanwhile Myra and the others approach the gates. Nobody jumps out to challenge them, though there seems to be a guardpost stationed on one side of the gate. The iron door is locked, ofcourse. There is a massive circular courtyard beyond, apparently pairing as a garden - well trimmed bushes form patterns across the grounds and provide decoration aswell as places to lounge about in the shade.

Central to the courtyard is a massive square tower, reaching higher than even the inner walls. Its four sides are adorned with decorations and several balconies are scattered across the tower's different floors. This is the royal tower, and to Myra it is practically beaming with magical power.

The only living person in sight is a single man standing halfway across the courtyard grounds, facing the tower. He too has a magical aura.
Watson rears up his chest and ends up on the roof of the alley. He gets on top of the wall, deciding to shout at the lone man in the distance in an unseemly manner,

"Hellooooooooo??? What of th' spire doth interest you insomuch you pay us no heed?"
youre on top of the wall by now
SpoilerShow
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]
The man turns his head towards the ruffian, before pulling a book out of his pocket and turning back towards the flora of the grounds.
Myra makes a dash behind some cover near the gates, peeping her head to spy on Watson and the man in the courtyard. "What's that guy doing just standing here? He has a magic aura around him. Is he dangerous? Waiting for us?" She turns back to the group for a moment before asking yet another question, "You guys don't think he's in cawhoots with that lady from earlier, do you?" Her curiosity continues, and she tries to discern just what exactly that magical aura is all about, if possible.
Bohw didn't understand anything anymore, standing behind Myra, hands in her coat pockets and staring into the horizion with a stunned, irritated look on her face. In all her journeys, she had never met someone as stupid and thick-headed as Watson, completely stunned, unable to make an input for a short while.

For Mayor however, he has had the joy of working with such people before, although the situation didn't make him any less uneasy than the others. Even then, he too wasn't afraid to let himself be known and stepped forward into view, standing just at the front of the gate. He could only see one person, who seemed fairly non-threatening on their own, but looks were always decieving. Mayor thought he might as well be polite, raising arms to gesture that he meant no aggression, didn't help that the mystery man wasn't even looking at himself, but it was still pretty hard to miss a golem.

Bohw finally snapped out of it, by the time she was ready to actually stab Watson, he had already ran off and scaled a wall. "He's probably trying to be a decoy" Bohw murmured, lying to herself. Bohw tapped Myra on the shoulder, whispering to get her attention, "Oi, you can detect magic or something? Any spell guards?" She carefully poked her head around the gate with Myra to better look at the man and his book. She didn't care much for Mayor's actions, with their cover already blown, but she might as well see if there was anything interesting about the most interesting thing here: That man.

Squinting, Bohw thought of something else to ask Myra, not taking her eye off the courtyard as she quietly talked details. "Check behind us, too, if you haven't already."
It is quite a distance and magical readings are easily blurred over longer stretches, but Myra is able to make out that it is not the man himself that is magical but rather the items that he carries.

Nothing else about the situation seems to have changed.
"Should we just go and deal with 'im?" Savannah readied her spear, pointing it at the man. "I think we should go deal with 'im."
Watson raises his hands up and makes a noise "nhhhhh" as if he's not quite in agreement with the idea. "Frankly, I think more observation is needed, but then again, I've already called out to him, with no response."
"Didn't I say avoid conflicts or enemy engagements?" Bohw whispered a bit too loudly to scold Savannah. "Just... maybe he won't care about us. He seems hardly phased by the explosion earlier, I'm assuming he doesn't care about a lot of things. We should be able to walk past."

Mayor turned to shrug, he was standing in plain sight and wasn't being attacked, he couldn't complain. "Besides," Bohw added, "We don't have the time to fuss about minor details like this. It's just one guy."
"Aww, come on. That's exactly why we should do somethin'! It's just him!" Savannah waved one of her hands around. "We can take 'im. I mean... come on." She groaned and tilted her head back.

"Man, you don't know that he'll leave us alone. What if he goes berserk the moment our backs are turned? For all we know, it's him who ate all the people here. Why else would everybody but him be gone?" Savannah crossed her arms. "Suspicious, if you ask me."
SpoilerShow