We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
some of them are more obvious than others
There's also this one, which I'm mostly just mentioning because I bought Titanfall a few days ago and have been having a lot of fun with it.
They only made that an April Fool's joke so that people would think they weren't being serious about EA being run by Megatron.
MEGAne DRIVE is a pun that I can get behind.
FTL has come out with a free patch that's added a metric lots-tons of new stuff. New ship, new race, new layouts, new systems, new weapons, new music, new instances, did I mention this is for free?
It's got me playing it again and I remember why it's so great/infuriating. The new music in particular is pretty ace-great.
Go play it! Still a bunch of fun and now has 50% more stuff.
There are a lot of really nice quality-of-life upgrades that make the general gameplay a lot better.

Also they got Chris Avellone to write some of the new content, which is pretty cool.
Oh geez do I finally buy FTL or do I survive finals week

~*DECISIONS*~
Hm. I'm not sure if Castlevania: Lords of Shadow would count, but from my limited time with both it and DMC4, it might fit. Guacamelee! could also work; it's kind of a hybrid thing.
(04-05-2014, 02:39 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Guacamelee! is like not even remotely stylish action. It's like, a platform adventure. Also it's 2D.
Eh... there is platforming, but the meat of the game is really in the combat (which is absolutely about stringing together big ol' fancy combos).
I'm not sure if Okami really fits in this category. The battles are ranked, yes, but each battle is self-contained, and the overall progression of the levels is more like a Zelda-style adventure. It seems most of the other games would fit with each other as a category where each level is required and the player is ranked on performance in each level.
Woah, Studio Pixel's new game comes out in a month

Looks very similar to Cave Story in terms of gameplay/aesthetic but I'm okay with that
SO HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT.

There's this one dancing minigame in Zelda Oracle of Ages, that pretty much requires sound (to know when to start, primarily). I wish I could brute force it, but it costs rupees every time I play. OH AND ITS REQUIRED.

And since I'm profoundly deaf, whoops it looks like I suddenly can't proceed, until I find a hearing person willing to play this for me.

Disgusting. It's kind of an older game, but not that old. I am of course referring to the PlayStation era, when pretty much every game suddenly felt like subtitles were too much effort, and also vOiCe AcTiNg HyPe!!!!. Spirit Tracks was even worse, as there was this pan flute thing, and for whatever reason, I could not pass it, even after like 100s of retries. (there's visual input, sure, but I still can't pass, leading me to believe that the visuals and the audio are way off. if you know a "trick" then id appreciate knowing it as well.)

Audism appears to unfortunately infiltrate the video gaming world and sneak up on me when I least expect it. For example, Assassin's Creed (the first one). No subtitles for the cutscenes. It's why I'm boycotting the series, at least until they fix that (they won't). Sure, I could look at a transcript, but it's the principle that matters.

I am, however, grateful that subtitling videogames has become commonplace these days.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
There's a color based dungeon in Link's Awakening DX (gotta push that GBC) that I'm not entirely sure works for people who are colorblind.

I can't even imagine what it's like to play a Nintendo game that only uses audio cues when you solve a puzzle, much less something like La Mulana where even hearing the cue gives you zero idea as to what has actually happeend.
I'm definitely with you on the last part, that's for sure; my own hearing's impaired enough that voice acting (especially on cheaper games or ported ones with budget actors for the English version) can be almost impossible to follow without captions. It was really frustrating back during the late nineties and early aughties when no-subs voicing was super common to generally have to keep my brother nearby so he could repeat plot elements to me when I couldn't figure out what I was hearing.

Never really occurred to me how frustrating audio cues like that could be for someone who completely lacked hearing, though. Which is really part of the problem, I suppose: people rarely think about how things they take for granted affect people whose situations are different from their own. Even relatively common disabilities like colorblindness don't (or at least didn't) get considered by the majority of designers. Pretty irritating, and not a lot of excuse for it in an industry as big and cash-flush as gaming.

(I didn't know you were deaf. Find out something new about people every day.)
supersmashgerbils

who knows where the metagame is going
ITS GOING VIDEOG AMES
At least he straight up admitted to snagging that game mode from Kirby's Air Ride. I was about to raise a fuss.

Other reactions:

No! Not the Olimar nerfs!

Yay the Zero Suit Samus buffs!

OMGAdfajdsfla;hga Pokedoll ability!
can imagine greninja backflipping the bird every time substitute is used
I'm kinda curious as to whether Snake's still going to be in the roster. I sort of really want to see Villager pocketing high explosives.
(04-09-2014, 09:32 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Also unrelated but Mario 3 and Super Mario World are extremely overrated and not even in a "revolutionary when they came out but their impact has been lessened by time" sort of way, come at me

Wow calm down, Satan. You're on a roll tonight. I agree tho.

I have mixed feelings about Oh8's art, it's cute and appealing sometimes, but most of the time it's exactly as you described it. Also, he pretty much ripped off Q-bee's design for another character.
I think Fillia is the only character with a slightly different body and it's the one that looks the most wrong. I honestly think his anatomy isn't that bad though, it's just boring.

I am moderately hype for Smash Bros, those heels on ZSS though. I'm happy she's back and the boots idea is neat but goddamn it why did it have to be high heels. Also, i'll be the first one to complain about the lack of battlefield-like stages on tryhard mode Raaaaage
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
I'd link that original concept art of zss where it says in the design notes "don't make the heels too tall" but just above that on the same page is an arrow pointing at her butt and a little note saying "I'll enjoy drawing this!!!" so I guess the seed was always there
hopefully, if chrom is in, he at least have has his wonderful swimwear dlc costume as an alt
(04-09-2014, 12:18 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I would love for someone to actually come at me on account of I have never really had a chance to articulate why I think Marios 3 and 4 are super overrated. I may be Satan but I am not unwilling to give a reasoned explanation of my opinions.
U RONG
actually I'm just curious
SpoilerShow
[Image: xwldX.gif]
Is her heart on the outside of her body?
her heart is an invisible bone that slowly orbits her right boob