We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
I really enjoy kicking things off the screen, and listening to my friends as they complain about having to chase enemies down over and over.
I said a lot less, "great" is a lot less garbage than "awful"
You can't be "merely" less bad than something. It is a relative value.
i don't even

SpoilerShow
That is just

desperate.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
its a bit silly but i dont understand how free crossover dlc is desperate????

like, i guess the idea is that "this dlc will make zelda/yoshi fans look at our game!" but it seems to be more for people who already own it to play through some silly things that are a little different from the normal sonic fare? i dunno

I might just have to get this.
get it, it's a launch trailer because a goat is launched through a window
It's also a spoof of this trailer
[Image: 76561197978639938.png]
it was originally a joke but then everybody kept asking for it so they made it
(03-27-2014, 06:21 PM)Solaris Wrote: »its a bit silly but i dont understand how free crossover dlc is desperate????

like, i guess the idea is that "this dlc will make zelda/yoshi fans look at our game!" but it seems to be more for people who already own it to play through some silly things that are a little different from the normal sonic fare? i dunno

I think it's a desperate attempt to make Sonic relevant, but i forgot there are actual people who legitimately still like Sonic games. It doesn't matter if a crossover is silly as long as they make something cool with it, but this one looks really bland.

Unrelatedly: I want to like Skullgirls but this...

really puts me off fighting games in general. I love fighting games, but i hate the Marvel vs Capcom-like long-ass combo string based metagames. The whole meta is based around poking for an opportunity to land huge-ass combos that take more than 2 thirds of your lifebar and drag on for like 10 seconds; Now, i know it's cool to have flashes and shit when you do a super move but it just takes so goddamn long, specially on a game where it's so easy to make combos. There's no pace to that, once you get hit you might as well drop your controller for a while.

Compare that to the constant back and forth of Vampire Savior, it's just so much more exciting to watch and play. Instant super moves, forced knockdowns on combo finishers, it's perfect.
Then again i'm super biased and think every fighting game is inferior to VS...
It is universally recognized that the "Beginners Only" tag exists solely to counteract any attempts a developer makes towards gaining new players.
Yeah, it's funny. It wasn't my point though.
Alternatively, you all can play Divekick with me. There's no combos because every move is a one-hit kill!
Divekick was fun for about an hour. No matter how much it advertises itself as "the essence of fighting games", there's just...not much there.

Also that's kind of completely missing the point of why I, and probably a lot of other people, don't like long combos. :V
I mean, I'm 50 hours into Divekick, and I'm still enjoying the heck out of it. There really is a lot of stuff you can do with the movesets, and it really is all about controlling options and baiting/punishin and all that mindgames stuff, but like, to each their own.
(03-28-2014, 04:34 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »That's because the essence of fighting games is metagaming.

I wasn't actually talking about just the gameplay, though. I mean, yes, the whole dive/kick thing gets boring pretty fast for me, but I probably could have stayed engaged if I'd thought it had tried in pretty much any other area. The character designs were all cringe-inducing, boring, or based off of a joke that flew right over my head. On top of that, the visuals seemed pretty rushed and mediocre, and I don't remember anything about the sound, which is probably indicative of its quality.

Despite my aversion to the whole super-long combo thing that fighting games have going on, I really like both Skullgirls and Persona 4 Arena because they put a lot of effort into things outside the gameplay. The voice work, music, and art in Skullgirls is a lot of fun to see in action, and Persona 4 Arena is probably the only fighting game people will ever play for the story. Divekick, however, has nothing but the gameplay, and for a two-button game, even one that tries its best to add depth, that's probably not a good idea.

Edit: Also I don't much like that sort of fake-out play unless it's split-screen or something.
I mostly just play Soul Caliber because of Lizardman but I'd say it is a decent fighting game for the standards you are putting forth. I could be wrong, though. I mean, I'm not really an expert at fighting games, in fact, I'd rank myself around Beginner or Novice, despite having played this game for a long time, yet I enjoy playing Soul Caliber (single-player) because I feel like there isn't a lot of combo-stringing or what have you. The emphasis is more on zoning or prediction. The 3D-ness of the games probably help. I guess I'd say they're nice games. Particularly the fifth one.

(im the kind of person who plays a custom character with dampierre's moveset and is a threatening-looking french maid.)
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
It wasn't really directed at anybody. Just... the topic was fighting games in general so I jumped in.

And I'm not gonna lie, SC is pretty button-mashy until you get used to it.

Off-topic: Weapon Shop de Omasse for the 3DS DL is a pretty nice game that is very funny and medium-aware. Basically you are a blacksmith, smithing weapons and renting them out to protagonists in what seems to be a generic JRPG game. The gameplay itself is okay for a shop-like game, centering around rhythm to create weapons, but the charm lies in the dialogue and the events. I recommend it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that regularly plays 3DS download games.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
i'm that person who just likes super smash bros and nothing else because i'm shit at normal fighting games forever

i prefer ssb because it cuts right to the chase by making all the moves intuitively reflexive instead of building a sacred, ritualistic institution on them

while the top ssb players know the "combos" and attacks which technically deal the most dps and attempt to shut out the other player by rote execution (and practice these things for hours), i like that i am able to compete with them on a fairly level playing field by employing pressure, placement, and prediction while freely discarding the playbook in favor of reading opponents and taking advantage of their habits by tripping them up in the middle of their cycles and employing the full range of my abilities to match the context, instead of trying to sequester the situation to a few, tired "best" movesets i read off of a grocery list of things i need to get to bake a win cake

if i can shape my perception and focus it at the precise moments i need it, my path will take me to where i need to go, and my actions flow as freely as my thoughts
Soul Calibur and SSBM are the only ones I play. SC because like Garuru said, it's not crazily combo heavy, and I'm a fan of the fighters all having significantly different fighting styles (except for you, Rock!). Melee's unique in that it focuses on your ability to not die rather than your ability to kill your opponent. If your defensive maneuvers are better than your opponent's offensive ones then you're going to win.
(03-28-2014, 08:33 AM)weirdee Wrote: »employing the full range of my abilities to match the context, instead of trying to sequester the situation to a few, tired "best" movesets i read off of a grocery list of things i need to get to bake a win cake

I like this train of thought

SC is pretty neat. Even tho the meta is very juggle-based the sequences don't take that long, not that button mashy imo. I've never played any Tekken game ever but i've heard they're pretty similar.

I've been wanting to get my hands on Super Gem Fighter for the longest time and i forgot it was available on PSN, i'm gonna get it as soon as i get a TV (my brother took it away with him when he moved out). I need to check if it's the PS1 version though because if it is then it's not worth it.
But! Dat pimp walk!

Alright for such a casual cutesy game i can't really complain that much about ports, i mean it's not like anyone is gonna be thrilled to play it with me. Too bad i don't have a PS2.

Goddamn, old Capcom fighters inspire me so much.
I just can't heeeeeelp it. Missing background elements is not the same to me, it wouldn't bother me that much either; for me, it's not that much about the gameplay, since you can just adjust yourself to the new frames and all that, what bothers me is seeing incomplete animations, they weren't meant to be done that way and it pains me because they'd look so great otherwise. This doesn't seem to be the case with Pocket Fighter though, it looks quite smooth.

That mode looks so fun, i can't wait to try it! I also totally forgot to purchase 3rd Strike, i need a TV so badly.

E: There are so many cameos on PF, it's absurd. I love it.
so, this happened
I don't think so. It came out earlier this morning, so a bit too early for April Fools even considering time zones.
hahaha i wasted my time on all of you for 8 years.