We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
but bayesian statistics is cool

I bought the Civ V expansions on sale this week and rediscovered my obsession with Civ. Brave New World in particular is really well-done - it feels like an integral part of the game that always should have been there, not just a tacked-on extra. One of my favorite parts of Civ is how the mechanics compliment the theme - all of the trade and religion and diplomacy and spy stuff makes your empire feel like a real, living thing.

If anyone wants to get an Eagle Time Civ game going, I'd be down. BNW lets you do asynchronous multiplayer (I think), so it wouldn't be difficult.
If I have the money for Brave New World or get it as a Christmas gift, I'd be up for that.
I finally got my hands on a 3DS+Pokemon and am reportedly getting that Zelda game for my birthday for a few months

I will forever be months behind whatever is popular due to living on Wal-mart wages

I-

what
Man they're not even tryna disguise that fact it's a Dynasty Warriors clone

(12-18-2013, 04:35 PM)MrGuy Wrote: »If I have the money for Brave New World or get it as a Christmas gift, I'd be up for that.

Unfortunately the sale I got it through is over now, but Steam will probably put it on sale for Christmas and I'll post any other sales I find here.
Who the fuck releases a teaser trailer with "(name not final)" in there, that's fuckin' sloppy man
(12-18-2013, 04:13 PM)Stij Wrote: »If anyone wants to get an Eagle Time Civ game going, I'd be down. BNW lets you do asynchronous multiplayer (I think), so it wouldn't be difficult.
I’d need BNW.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
If people don't have the expansions we can still play multiplayer, it'll just be a bit more complicated (and we won't have the expansion content obv). There's a third party service called Giant Multiplayer Robot that can handle asynchronous multiplayer.
Nah, I can wait and I'd probably be up to get one or two people a copy as christmas gifts
I'm already in two GMR games, and since you can't have more than two games going at once, I can't participate. :/
(12-18-2013, 07:43 PM)Stij Wrote: »Man they're not even tryna disguise that fact it's a Dynasty Warriors clone

does it count as a dynasty warriors clone if it is made by the people who make dynasty warriors? like it is A Thing that Koei seems to do

that said this mornings nintendo direct was weird and i honestly cant believe that Dynasty Warriors Zelda wasnt the weirdest thing to come out of it

i do like that rosalina is suddenly super important and prominent and being As Playable Character As Possible like, on the one hand that might mean that theres going to be a Super Mario Galaxy Wii U (sadface) but on the other it means that Rosalina is Important and Gets To Be A Playable Character All The Time which is good and would also mean that maybe (maybe maybe maybe) there will be a platformer about just princessesssss

RE: latest pa shittery, while i understand that this is like, a prototype, and that it probably wont be Literal Segregation in practice, i dont see anything like this solving the problem??? like the problem is that one of the two of those guys continues being an unapologetic asshat who doesnt understand what the fuck he's talking about, which enables other asshats to do the same fucking thing. people who were actually hurt by what he said dont want this, they want him to fucking come out and say that he fucked up and that he will try to actually learn about what the fuck he's insulting and make pax into an actual place for everyone to visit and talk about video games without getting bogged down in the bullshit of The Main Video Game Demographic
(12-19-2013, 03:20 AM)Solaris Wrote: »RE: latest pa shittery, while i understand that this is like, a prototype, and that it probably wont be Literal Segregation in practice, i dont see anything like this solving the problem??? like the problem is that one of the two of those guys continues being an unapologetic asshat who doesnt understand what the fuck he's talking about, which enables other asshats to do the same fucking thing. people who were actually hurt by what he said dont want this, they want him to fucking come out and say that he fucked up and that he will try to actually learn about what the fuck he's insulting and make pax into an actual place for everyone to visit and talk about video games without getting bogged down in the bullshit of The Main Video Game Demographic

Well, there's two problems here:

1) The Main Video Game Demographic is also the comic's target demographic
2) It's a lot easier to say "look, we're making safe spaces!" than to say "okay, I legitimately fucked up multiple times and I will try to avoid it in the future," especially when you're the guy who Regretted Pulling The Dickwolves Shirts Because Free Speech Or Something.
Huh, Rosalina actually seems like an interesting character

Still debating whether I'll ever buy a Wii U. Everyone in my house really wants to play the new SSB, so maybe. I'm holding out for more good first party titles and a drop in price, though.

Speaking of which Mario Kart 8 looks pretty rad

ps. also yes the continuing PA fiasco is pretty much the textbook definition of Making Things Worse
You can tell somebody is missing the point when they say "diverse individual."
i can't wait to go to PAX and attend workshops about how to juggle while skydiving, and how to choose the best hat styles for my fingers

that's what diverse people do, right

on a different topic, it looks like rosalina operates in a different fashion than say, ice climbers, in that instead of using the minion solely as a mode of attack, or as a mime of the player, that the little guy can be operated independently of the main character by using the special button command inputs while still being able to reasonably cause damage without it as long as you can react fast enough between twirling the wand and farting galaxies onto your enemies when they try to get close
(12-19-2013, 04:53 AM)Akumu Wrote: »You can tell somebody is missing the point when they say "diverse individual."
As a diverse individual, I take offense to the continuing perpetuation of the myth that laundry appliances eat socks.
they're not just mapped to the shoulder buttons because you don't get four shoulder buttons
You get three more sets of abilities. The control scheme makes a bit more sense once you start getting them.
Yeah, you should get some shops after the next area, if I remember correctly.
yea a lot of those problems are fixed to some degree in the sequels, super. at least the whole "TOO MUCH PLATFORMING" is kinda a thing? they definitely cut down on it to some degree. and switching between bros ceased to exist in the second game so it's literally just "press r to cycle abilities"
It doesn't make the platforming that much more enjoyable though, it's still kinda mediocre. Everything else on the sequels is worse, including the combat (it doesn't mean they're bad games tho); in SSS at least the bro moves are integrated into your moves outside battle, in the sequels the moves are always random stuff. Bowser's Inside Story could've been a much better game if it were only about Bowser, there's no platforming involved when playing him as far as i remember.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
(12-19-2013, 12:51 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Even though it is basic, the combat in M&L is expertly designed in how it marries skill and strategy. Even fairly early in the game, prioritizing targets, paying attention to enemy patterns and timing become incredibly important. The game is still pretty soft on you and throws more healing items than you could ever possibly need your way, but it still keeps you actively engaged at all times. It's really fun, and it's actually better at this aspect than the Paper Mario series and SMRPG! But then it's kind of apples and oranges with the badge/party systems.

TBH I've always felt there was a fundamental failure in the design of the M&L games, namely that in most cases you don't actually need to pay attention to which bro is being attacked (since you can just hold down both buttons to jump/counterhammer with both).
SpoilerShow

Rather, it’s already here.
(12-19-2013, 07:51 PM)MrGuy Wrote: »TBH I've always felt there was a fundamental failure in the design of the M&L games, namely that in most cases you don't actually need to pay attention to which bro is being attacked (since you can just hold down both buttons to jump/counterhammer with both).

This isn't true of some enemies which will attack both bros with a small enough interval that if you press both buttons one will get hit, but it does work disappointingly often.
Divekick is on sale for $2.50 for the next 5 and a half hours. None of you (at least the ones who are friends with me on Steam) play Divekick. This is unacceptable. I recommend you purchase Divekick and play it with me and enjoy yourself.

(If you have Divekick, and are not my steam friend, please friend me on Steam. Also friend me on Steam if you don't have Divekick. My Steam is also Nopad.)