Music

Poll: Your musical genre?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.23%
31 35.23%
No
21.59%
19 21.59%
All of the above
43.18%
38 43.18%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music
RE: Music
ffffff yeah I totally did

It should be pretty clear to you at this point that I am terrible at remembering things

in other news I can no longer hear Michael McDonald without thinking of Yacht Rock and I'm completely okay with that
This looks like a really cool documentary

SpoilerShow

Supes, have you heard of it before?
SpoilerShow
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

Can't get enough of this song lately

Baroness has a knack for making metal that's genuinely catchy and melodic without being cheesy or pop-fluffy. Can't wait to see them in August.

EDIT: Really good jazzy electro track
SpoilerShow
I am not sure how I never knew about this till long after I cut off most contact with Sonic fandom. As opposed to, you know, hearing it in the 90s before initiating contact?

I am like 80% sure I am okay with that, though.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
...there are no words
[Image: aDGiWUk.jpg]

worst cover

25 years later...
Speaking of homages to older music: this isn't on youtube yet, but check out Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go. Total Steely Dan/Hall and Oates yacht rock throwback stuff. It's cheesy as hell but there are a few good songs. "Reach Out Richard", in particular, bites Steely Dan's "Peg" but it is still really catchy.

Also, I don't want to rub salt in the Daft Punk wound, but these exist. (for real this time)
Yeah, I guess action figures are pretty reasonable merch for a couple of dudes who dress up like robots and are obviously huge anime fans.

Meanwhile, in DADJAMS news:

SpoilerShow

His brother had this record back in the 70s, he said. Good stuff. Kind of a jazzier Osibisa?
I found another grand gem of this musical age.

Well the video was from 5 years ago so I guess it counts <:D

but anyway, it's from Wax Tailor (producer)

SpoilerShow

when will the coolness stop hapening? :^Y
Hahaha please do. What made you think of that?

SpoilerShow

also what are your feelings on this
I agree! Music can be schlocky and fun and still well-made. One reason I dislike a lot of music blogs (Pitchfork etc.) is because they're so hopelessly self-important. Even metal blogs. Especially metal blogs. You'd think a genre that's so over-the-top would have a better sense of humor about itself.

SpoilerShow
Woah Supes have you heard this
SpoilerShow

Going to jump in here with some martial industrial.
I like it a lot! I've never really delved into Basement Jaxx but I know you've posted a few of their tracks in the past and I've enjoyed them. Would you say Remedy's their best album?

Unfortunately the other new track they posted is kind of awful
R.I.P

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Dammit. I can't figure out the uncredited samples on this track. It's beyond me.
SpoilerShow
The instrumental is currently one of my favourite Dilla beats too.
SpoilerShow

I'm not sure why this is so great, but it is.
SpoilerShow
Came across this song some of you may like. Some of the "instruments" may not be faked well, though, seeing as I spotted it right away.

SpoilerShow
I love this song. I used to listen to it several times in a row daily for months. The studio version is here.
(07-30-2013, 09:12 PM)Hobbesy Wrote: »I'm not sure why this is so great, but it is.
The media of totalitarian regimes in general, when left up to the people up top, tends to shy away from the depressive and the ideologically rebellious. That’s why the Soviet Union went to the effort of producing some great classical musicians, and allowing Western classical musicians to perform as goodwill gestures—less lyrics, less message, less problem! Well, sometimes there is a pretty strong message, but this way nobody gets in trouble who isn’t supposed to.

At this time, I would like to point out that this was state-approved music:

SpoilerShow

As it turns out, though, what the proletariat really wanted was a bit of rock and roll, too (that and smuggled blue jeans). Who knew?
Speaking of rock, one of my friends gave me this album on vinyl not long ago.

SpoilerShow

Awfully great music for making art to.
(07-30-2013, 11:12 PM)BRPXQZME Wrote: »The media of totalitarian regimes in general, when left up to the people up top, tends to shy away from the depressive and the ideologically rebellious. That’s why the Soviet Union went to the effort of producing some great classical musicians
Half true. Russia has always been a bastion of Classical Music, but they did as much to destroy it as they did to sustain it. Some of its best classical musicians suffered immensely during the Stalinist era, for both ideological and political reasons. In many cases, musicians relied on political patrons for support; the more patrons you had, the more performances you could make, the more money you could therefore make and the more publicity you got.

That said, classical music did maintain greater mainstream traction for longer - primarily due to political interference. Jazz and rock 'n roll were seen as a 'foreign influence' and a clear tie to the corrupt, capitalist world outside the Soviets.
Yeah, I guess my point is more that there was this insidious implication that the state would make or break the artist. Both, really. (The Radio Yerevan was asked, What is a Soviet musical duet? The Radio Yerevan answers, It is a musical quartet after a trip abroad.)