This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
Recently I have made a small script that prints weather for me.

I press a key, and it will print this out: hko reports: State: Cloudy (60); T = 302.15 K; v = 0.556 m/s; Hum = 0.84; P = 100270.0 Pa

So brilliant!

I may add a "rain" bit later on.
韋力澹、杜薇花,《亞奧美思特大傳》人物兩「茄呢啡」獨魯人也。
韋為紫血,杜為藍血,二人關係生平不詳。惟只現一回則見光死於熊熊烈火中矣。
baloon internet, coming to new zealand, then the world

i'm not 100% if this is real but i guess it is

thanks google
To be fair, it used to be the Civil War and WWII channel.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Almighty Wikius, Lord of Knowledge Wrote:History, formerly known as The History Channel, is a US-based international satellite and cable TV channel owned by A&E Television Networks. It originally broadcast documentary programs and historical fiction series. However since 2008, it has mostly broadcast a variety of scripted "reality" television series and other non-history related content. Additionally, the network is frequently criticized by scientists and skeptics for broadcasting pseudo-documentaries, unsubstantiated and sensational investigative programming, such as Ancient Aliens, UFO Files, and the Nostradamus Effect.

Looks like 2008, I guess. What a boring answer.
ah it's been a while since I read a good wheatpost

My dad is a huge history nerd and used to watch the History Channel with me all the time, so we got our rage out of the way early. Now I just look at Larry the Cable Guy, Ancient Aliens, etc. and laugh.

I mean, at least MTV is no longer even ostensibly about music. HC still claims it's informational in some way and the results are so terrible and ham-handed it's hilarious.

ON A COMPLETELY UNRELATED NOTE

I've been trying to find a cartoon I watched a long time ago and forgot the name of. It was a sci-fi show about a girl from Earth who gets invited to complete in some interplanetary racing tournament. Podracer-y shit. It was partially traditionally animated and partially 3D (for the racing scenes). I think it was French. Mid-2000s probably.

Does anybody know what show I'm talking about?

edit: Found iiiiiiiiiiiiiit
OBAN STAR RACERS :D :D :D
This show has fantastic art! I can see why I liked it when I was younger. Kinda wanna rewatch it now.

I'd like to find a sub if I can though; the English dub is a bit grating.

The French are actually really good at making animesque kids' shows what's up with that
Yeah, I remember seeing the trailer in 2001 or so, in all its pre-YouTube 240p glory and was utterly mesmerized (it was even my avatar for a few months, IIRC). I can kind of remember watching the show and loving it, but it’s very hazy now and I couldn’t have been paying that much attention (I was sick at the time). Perfect excuse to watch it again, I guess!
hey, I like the vikings show
although i only saw a couple episodes
Did you learn much about vikings, or just about how sexy and dramatic it is when sexy people have drama
Holy crap this is great

SpoilerShow

Don't know if it's real or not but I want to believe
(06-23-2013, 03:37 PM)SleepingOrange Wrote: »Did you learn much about vikings, or just about how sexy and dramatic it is when sexy people have drama

Well they weren't allowed to such very much sexy; it is the history channel.
Me and my stepdad actually got into Pawn Stars when it kicked off, but we burned out real quick. At the very least, the episodes I watched did take the time to give you background on the objects that were brought in. It wouldn't be completely out of place as a crowd-bringer for a channel that is otherwise about "real" history, but when its instead an example of the channel's de-evolution into the freakshow of Circus Murrica, it deserves its flak.

Also why does everyone have a nickname, nobody really calls you that
oops you don't have the right to remain silent anymore lol
Having decided on putting the “flat” look everywhere, <your conspiracy theory organization of choice> is now finalizing draft proposals for the next big design fad for you to get sick of
i'm

not sure if that post is actually being ironic or not
I’m afraid it’s serious!

Very serious.

it’s terminal
(06-26-2013, 05:06 AM)Nopad Wrote: »oops you don't have the right to remain silent anymore lol

wth I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be able to use silence against someone.

All I've been told by lots of people that if I encounter a cop/cops who tell(s) me to raise my hands in the air, that I should only state my name, my occupation and my age. Then say nothing more.
well, apparently, 'To prevent the privilege against self-incrimination from shielding information not properly within its scope, a witness who “ ‘desires the protection of the privilege . . . must claim it’ ”'. The only exceptions are during a trial and under coercion. this case is finding that being questioned by a cop is not also an exception.
So, you know

Instead of not saying anything

Specifically plead the fifth
It's also worth familiarizing yourself with state laws about what information you MUST provide to a police officer who asks. The ACLU has a plain-English document about you can and must and may not say, and when.
(deleted original post; got caught up editing and forgot it was posted in the first place)

(06-26-2013, 04:14 PM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »All I've been told by lots of people that if I encounter a cop/cops who tell(s) me to raise my hands in the air, that I should only state my name, my occupation and my age. Then say nothing more.
(I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. It is only relevant in the U.S.; other jurisdictions recognize different rights and use different protocols.)

You shouldn’t volunteer anything except that which you are legally obligated (name, ID, anything else that brochure says) and something along the lines of “I will remain silent. I’d like to talk to a lawyer.” Ideally, as calm and attitude-free as possible, and you will probably have to say it more than once unless the cop is miraculously bad at getting criminals to crack under the pressure. You see, they’ll just keep asking questions and making statements, and since they are questions serious enough to be related to the arrest, it’s almost impossible for most people to resist the urge to answer.

The previous two posts contain all other information I was going to say, and more expertly to boot.
I'm usually not one for big dumb popcorn action movies, but Pacific Rim actually looks cool. The whole thing seems like an homage to giant mecha animes (especially Evangelon), which is fun. Anyone else thinking of seeing it?
From what I've heard about Pacific Rim it is not dumb by any stretch of the imagination
I'm not expecting it to be a deep psychological film, but yeah, it looks like Guillermo Del Toro could definitely do something good with it. I'm cautiously optimistic.