We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
Speaking of Sonic Heroes, my old buddy/not-actually-my-buddy/more-like-he’d-probably-only-remember-I-exist BlazeHedgehog posted a rant based on what we’ve seen of Lost World so far.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Does anyone know how much decent instruction manuals cost compared to other game expenses? I'm wondering if cutting a manual into a 2 page bare minimum might be part of the reason for putting in more in-game handholding and exposition, but I may be getting the cost analysis all wrong.
I don’t know the expense of printing, but there must have been a significant shipping cost to all that paper.

I could tell you the explanations I’ve heard around, though: “nobody” (a technical term for “not enough people”) read manuals, even back when they were the norm. People tended to use the manual when they got stuck, rather than use it to get started. And even so, people tended to ask someone else before reading the manual. So why write much of a manual at all, if what people really want is a strategy guide?

That, along with other trends (such as the decreasing cost of producing the game media in an increasingly risk-averse industry) is what stopped them from printing good manuals and shipping them in the box. These days you might be lucky to get a link to a PDF on Steam.

I am not sure that the gaming illiteracy problem can be attributed to lack of manuals; it seems to be the other way around.
(06-08-2013, 05:39 PM)BRPXQZME Wrote: »Speaking of Sonic Heroes, my old buddy/not-actually-my-buddy/more-like-he’d-probably-only-remember-I-exist BlazeHedgehog posted a rant based on what we’ve seen of Lost World so far.
I dunno. While I don't disagree with anything he said, this still looks really fun. Cautiously optimistic.
I am a grumptimist by nature, suffering from constant optimisery.
Those were for passwords, pretty much, and passwords were a thing everyone took out back and shot as soon as they could afford the g... SRAM.
I enjoy terrible manuals from the olden days in an ironic manner

unless there were several spaces for it, the notes page may have been a way to fill up an empty spare page
My mother used to take notes in the notes sections of games manual.

She was that kind of person.
I have vague memories of several of our NES manuals having random notes about the game in pen at the back. That's back when my parents played consoles pretty regularly so I'm guessing it my mom, too.
I never feel too compelled to write a whole lot down while playing, except when it comes to maps. Mapping is sometimes a part of the game and I consider it legit fun. I’m sure plenty of people don’t, though. Heck, if you can’t be expected to remember all the things you have to do, the game probably ought to help you out a little.

I might try it with a Let’s Play / AAR some time, but for the most part, I don’t have the tenacity to write that sort of thing down even when it’d be beneficial (NetHack, for instance).
plus, y'know

digital notepads

(anecdote: the 3ds allows you to interrupt a 3ds game/app any time and create a note while viewing the main game screen)
I’m still catching up on gamedev news from last month, so I came across this gem regarding Molyneux’s latest shenanigans.
How does everyone else feel about Godus's new casual overlord anyways? Now knowing what Curiosity was about, I'd've kinda preferred an RPG fan or co-op player to win.
well, you know what they say

can't choose your chosen ones
I love the fact that somebody who had no idea what Curiosity was all about won. It's what I was kind of hoping for that when it all started.

It's great, some guy downloads this thing to find out what it is, and just, before he even knows why he's tapping away at the cube, finds out he's the one and only winner!

I, for one, welcome our new, casual overlord.
(06-09-2013, 07:39 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »[Image: mwiv2.png]
The order of the words here is great.
Did you find the game from that nomarios blog? It seems like something that'd go there.

Edit: Oh man, I've just gotten to the second dungeon and I already want a pepelogoo plushie.
FUCKING FUCK

My FIRST day in Animal Crossing, and what shows up in the shop? The motherfucking crown. (This basically happened in Wild World too.)

If anyone's amassed one million bells already and wants it, be my guest.
Haha, my brother got the crown in his town too.
I saved up enough for a fourth of a crown. That was when I knew it was time to put the 3DS down.
Started up a new fortress in DF. Fortress name? The Searing Hot Pot. The group? The Delightful Thin Meats. I'm pretty proud of myself for that one.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
gotta play fast

i handwave the enemies moving on ice as them having lived there their entire lives

it's not as ridiculous as say, enemies walking on spikes
(06-10-2013, 06:57 AM)Gnauga Wrote: »Started up a new fortress in DF. Fortress name? The Searing Hot Pot. The group? The Delightful Thin Meats. I'm pretty proud of myself for that one.
and you should be
The greatest mystery still remains how the hell Microsoft hasn't even begun damage control yet. I'm honestly really confused about it.
their current plan is just to downplay how soulcrushing their machine is, and focus on graphics and manly shooting

yooooooooooo
a new tales game? what
I heard nothing of this

also Destiny looks glorious

and I'm amazed microsoft didn't do damage control the second they realized what was happening as a result
...oh wait
I don't think they did