We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
I was thinking functionality too. Should have been more clear.
(06-01-2013, 07:10 PM)Stij Wrote: »Question time, vidya thread:

If you could design your ideal handheld system, what would it look like? Assume budget/practicality are no object.
I do not know everything it will need, but only that it will require a fold-out reality denial dimension.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
I actually care basically not at all about a console's aesthetics as long as it is practical and comfortable and easy to hold and use.
A gamecube controller with a screen on it.
A Nintendo 3DS with a Game Boy Advance port. And Game Boy.

I'd make a joke here about having every video game console ever in one but even i know thats unrealistic. A 3DS with those ports doesnt seem too unattainable. I suppose that hardware limitations may have tipped a hand somewhere, in which case I must meekly bow my uneducated head in submission, perhaps with a bonus of an exposed throat, no strings attached.

Nah but really I don't see why the newer DSes did not have a Game Boy port.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
Cause it's cheaper?

Also a computer could be capable of emulating every game console ever so i don't see how that's unrealistic.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
What Ed said, backwards compatibility = higher manufacturing costs and once you're more than a generation behind it presumably becomes unprofitable
The issue with emulating every console with backwards compatibility is that the hardware required to read those files in requires a fair bit of space, not just the space required to insert the cartridge. Computers can do it once people have extracted the raw files from their respective storage devices, but there's no such easy medium for people to sell physical copies with.
If the entire games library of the world was moved to SD Cards though it would be pretty feasible
(06-01-2013, 10:29 PM)Jacquerel Wrote: »the hardware required to read those files in requires a fair bit of space, not just the space required to insert the cartridge
The hardware can be built small enough today that the space for that is not a serious concern. It’s just reading from a ROM (put signals on address line, get data signals out), maybe emulating some bank switching and lockout chip stuff, that sort of thing—very simple functionality for the most part.

The real limitation is cost.
(06-01-2013, 07:23 PM)Wheat Wrote: »*impossibly long post about video games and art and shit*

when did that conversation become about art

I thought it was literally "why person a doesn't mind mario's lack of personality" Vs "why person b dislikes said lack of personality"

anyways, a perfect handheld system... if 3ds got more/better games and the opera browser wasn't such complete shit, we'd already have a winner imo
Since I've been missing my 3DS since, like, November and Animal Crossing New Leaf is releasing soon, I got an XL.

I DEMAND...FRIEND CODES

2981 - 6170 - 9504
[Image: tumblr.png] [Image: signature.gif] [Image: sig.gif]
Mine is 4596-9718-4212.

I think the only games I'm willing to play online are the Pokemon games and Mario Kart 7.
wasn't the psp like, the emulator's buddy though?

also, the 3ds is capable of running virtual console ports of many types, including game gear

i may or may not get new leaf at this point in time, but if i get it later, there won't be anybody to play with....

at least not people who aren't either trolls or players who are like "eh i've done everything" and it gets boring after one day

anyway

my ideal handheld would be one that people would stop bitching over because of details that aren't particularly important

also it should weigh roughly the same as a ds lite
"What's your favorite handheld?"
"Yours"

-Pickup Line of the Year

Also, I could easily afford the WII U now, but I don't know if there's any games I really want yet to justify throwing down the money that could be better served on just about anything else.
(06-03-2013, 09:56 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I just found something amusing.

A terrible peripheral you wear on your person that produces sound and vibrates.

Boy this sounds familiar doesn't it.

A Youtube reviewer claims that if he were to turn it up all the way, he would "be able to sell you his spine as talcum powder".

It seems that every bad idea has already been tried in the 90's.
"Only real 90s kids remember the 90s" isn't nostalgia.

It's a desperate warning to today's executives to listen to the junior members of the company, as only they can remember the horrors visited upon innocent children by the Grand Ideas of the decade.
we can stop the "Will Sonic finally not suck!?" thing guys

Sonic games have been pretty okay for a while now. I mean, Unleashed only half sucked (the longer half, admittedly but that half also had some rad music), Colors wasn't bad, and I really liked Generations except for the final boss ("SONIC WATCH OUT FOR THE HOMING MISSILES")

that game does look p cool though
Yeah, actually it looks fairly decent, and I'm looking forward to it. I just hope the 3DS version is the same as the Wii U version, not like with Sonic Generations.

e: doesn't look like it will ever be on par with sonic adventure, though. prob too early to tell, though.
Yeah I'm gonna be with Supes on this one. I'm not gonna give Sonic his credit back until I get full control of him. The levels where he goes a set speed and you only control how far left and right he goes is not a full level, its a Chaos Emerald bonus stage.

Also lol at putting the par on Sonic Adventure. I like Sonic Adventure and think its still the best 3D sonic but its not, like, a good game.
I will admit to never really getting into classic Sonic until Adventure came up.

My childhood is Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.
for the record my favourite part of sonic generations are the city escape levels in which the truck becomes an obsessive monster bent on destroying you and it's amazing

just felt like sharing
You know, a point you bring up should be put on a higher blast. Sonic Team consistently takes things that work in their original environment and run it into the ground regardless of its individual merit. The Knuckles Treasure Hunting was novel in Adventure but its novelty wears off easy, and the fact that its a 1000% worse in Adventure 2 (Because you can't choose which Emerald piece to go after) doesn't help. Also in Adventure, Gamma's gameplay was never good, but he had a neat narrative to save him, while the Tails and Eggman walker bits later on are horrible. Boarding started out as a gimmick open to Ice Cap and ended up getting three games dedicated to it. However, probably the best example of what I'm talking about has to be Grinding. It was pretty neat in Adventure 2, but that neatness was IMMEDIATELY destroyed in Heroes, mostly because of how laughably (Ragingly?) bad it is, and its never really recovered.

The more modern games have the SPEED LEVELS I already mentioned, which has roots in 3D blast's bonus stage, if not Sonic 2's, and there's also the aggravating and recurring portions of the games where Sonic is just doing things on his own and you're just watching.
(06-04-2013, 01:06 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Ok so. They basically un-cancelled Sonic X-Treme.
Honestly, it looks more like Super Sonic Galaxy to me. The cylindrical worlds remind me of those wraparound mostly-2D worlds in Galaxy, whereas X-Treme was Fisheye lens on a normal 3D world.

Not that I think one or the other will be a key to making a good game. Though I am worried about the new trailer, how much of it was spent running towards the screen with almost no view of where you're going.
Aquatic Ruin was not the best choice for running into a badnik

SpoilerShow
Running towards the camera shows off the face better!
I saw that trailer like a week ago and i don't have any high hopes for it but it doesn't look so bad i guess. I hope they dish a bit of the dramatic story bullshit all the sonic games after adventure have, i say just a bit because i'm sure more than a half of the fanbase is into that shit.

E: Talking 'bout Sonic.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]