We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
I would definitely second The World Ends With You. One of my favorite handheld games ever.

Also I dunno what GBA games you were in the market for, Supes, but you should check out Wario Land 4 if you haven't already. Really underrated.

(05-12-2013, 07:28 AM)Nopad Wrote: »e: ok unrelated topic. I feel like everything in the new Grand Theft Auto looks amazing, except for every single human being. Even in cutscenes, the people all look sort of half-formed digital homunculi. Is this because of the game's roughly photorealistic style?

SpoilerShow
Yeah, I dunno if it's the dissonance between the detailed graphics and the jerky animation or the shading style (which seems like an uneasy middle ground between cel-shading and realism), but something feels off about that trailer.

Anyway, it looks like they're going for a Tarantino sort of tone, which... could be good? Looks more interesting than the previous GTA games' plots, at least.

I've always enjoyed the GTA games for screwing around but the story has never really compelled me. Which is the essential problem with most sandbox games, IMO. It's hard to balance free reign with a linear story, which is why most sandbox games either have a tacked-on series of story missions or dispense with plot entirely (see: Elite, Dwarf Fortress). I'd love to see more games experiment with branching storylines but that's obviously easier said than done.
anything past '64 and GBC was full of both those things, SF

it was the start of the hell that became the Wii (which I still say they should've just left as the Revolution)
I honestly don't like the name Revolution for a games console, it is too ambitious for a piece of leisure equipment
I lent out The World Ends With You to a friend once. He was too put off by how annoying the main character was and couldn't really get into it. It feels like playing as everything you hate about yourself from five years ago. That said, the game really couldn't have worked if the main character was any other way. In TWEWY, all the elements, especially the more out-there ones, cohere really well to contribute to the game's theme.
You say you want a Revolution, well, you know...
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
(05-13-2013, 03:38 AM)Jacquerel Wrote: »I honestly don't like the name Revolution for a games console, it is too ambitious for a piece of leisure equipment

it sounds better than making people think you're gonna go wank off every time you say "I'm gonna go play with my Wii"
"Wii Jokes!"

Nobody actually thinks that though
I mean nobody even uses the word "wee" as a synonym for their penis either because it actually means piss

Everyone knows what you are talking about
(05-13-2013, 05:20 PM)Jacquerel Wrote: »Nobody actually thinks that though
I mean nobody even uses the word "wee" as a synonym for their penis either because it actually means piss

Everyone knows what you are talking about

except my parents, apparently who take every opportunity possible to make fun of the console's name
You poor thing
Anybody want Shogun 2 Total War 75% off on Steam? Because I have a coupon.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
(05-13-2013, 07:47 PM)BRPXQZME Wrote: »Anybody want Shogun 2 Total War 75% off on Steam? Because I have a coupon.

that reminds me, I've got a nice shiny dota 2 ticket for anyone interested

after all they're so rare
I have

I have some of those

[Image: 782cff9bbee293b690333576b9d9a4bc.png]
if anyone's interested
Nah, I like the game they made out of it better.
I don't have any copies of that in my steam inventory
Well, time to add "Metro: Last Light" to my list of games I can play after all this silly school stuff is finished.
You guys should get Monaco and play it with me! Just bought it today. It's a fun game alone but I feel like it's definitely meant for co-op.
I've actually never gotten a dota 2. If anyone wants to give me at least one dota 2 that'd be nice.
(05-14-2013, 12:34 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Any of y'all play those Blue Dragon games?

The original Blue Dragon has a pretty solid combat system (and that whole "some monsters will fight each other" thing is a really neat touch) and decent character customization, but neither the plot, characters nor dungeon design really sold me much. I wouldn't know if the sequels are any better on that front.
Supes: The writing in TWEWY gets somewhat better as the game goes on (there are some genuinely funny bits), and the plot is interesting, but yeah, it's not the sort of game you play for the dialogue. But the gameplay and aesthetics are awesome. I think you would like it.
(05-14-2013, 07:14 AM)Nopad Wrote: »I've actually never gotten a dota 2. If anyone wants to give me at least one dota 2 that'd be nice.

If nobody else did that yet, PM me your Steam and you can have one
(05-13-2013, 08:16 PM)Jacquerel Wrote: »I have

I have some of those

[Image: 782cff9bbee293b690333576b9d9a4bc.png]
if anyone's interested

this is basically what my steam inventory looks like
my steam is literally nopad

i would like as many copies of dota 2 as possible

i would like to collect your useless and imaginary possessions

e: i seriously enjoyed the story in twewy, but i played it when i was in the summer after eighth grade; in the time since i have spent several years reading homestuck.

ee: if you're looking for a ds nontraditional rpg, puzzle quest is probably pretty good if you're not colorblind
(05-14-2013, 12:34 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I'm perfectly willing to play through a game solely on the strength of the writing, but "compelling dialog, story and characters" is not a category JRPGs often fall into. There are exceptions.
There's probably no point in trying to convince you of this, and I'm not really interested in having an argument about it, but The World Ends With You has compelling characters and a good story, and it's got an equipment-based system rather than a class-based one. It's probably my favorite game on the DS, next to Ghost Trick, and I feel like it makes good use of the limitations of the system. It doesn't feel like it's sacrificing something because it ran out of room fitting in all the other stuff, the way a lot of DS games do. If I were you, I would at least try it for more than five minutes before writing it off.
I'm glad to hear that.