We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
That’s a clean burnin’ show, I tell you what.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
I was never able to really get in to King of the Hill, but rewatching it because it was the only thing on made me realize it's not as tedious as I remembered. Just not something I'd ever bother to actively seek out.

(and then videogame chat became tv chat)
(05-01-2013, 07:39 AM)Ed Wrote: »The game isn't about poker, it's about the characters and their dialogue, it just happens to have poker in it. You pay 5 dollars because it's not just a poker game or something relatively simplistic like audiosurf, a whole team of writers, voice actors, cg animators, etc. worked on it.

I don't know any of the characters in both games (or rather, i don't care about them) except for the Valve ones and Ash, yet i can still see why having characters from different popular media interacting would be appealing to people. I'm willing to bet if it had characters you like you would pay more than $5 to play it.

Also, Army of Darkness is a great horror/comedy movie that's pretty enjoyable and it has some really neat effects and cinematography, you're missing out.
Actually I'm the kind of person who tries to avoid getting suckered by that kind of thing as much as possible so I still wouldn't no matter what characters were in it

also Army of Darkness is p'great.
and Adult Swim is kind of meh. Superjail is a 15 minutes well spent if you catch it tho

but yeah anyways. So does anyone here play Spiral Knights because they're updating the combat system

not the economy or fixing any of the actually broken problems, they're just changing the combat system
Well that's good 'cause clicking on dudes a bunch gets boring really fast.

(05-01-2013, 07:55 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I'm convinced that Army Of Darkness has a bigger following just because it was distributed by a major company.

Oh, i thought Army of Darkness was the first one, stupid subtitles taking over the main title. Evil Dead II is definitely the best of the series.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
(05-01-2013, 07:55 AM)Plaid Wrote: »i don't know

it's great.
PLAID NO IT IS A TRAP
I would like to go on record and say if Poker had only cost me 5 dollars I'd be pretty happy
ahahah Ed by "Updating the combat system" it means they're adding a dash and a shield bash that's about it

it's OOO did you expect actual progress
I remember being in Puzzle Pirates beta.

Probably one of a small number of online games I regret leaving behind (because they went subscription at the time and I couldn’t afford it).
SF how long ago was this
back when it first came out on steam or what

because personally what I think really fucked F2Pers over is the way the CE market is structured resulting in 100 CE being 7k crowns on average
combined with 5* gear being 800 CE + 5k Cr + mats + level 10 4* gear it's just... ridiculous
and considering (IMO) one of the main draws of the game is how MANY kinds of gear there are, having to go through that much effort just to make one new piece of high-tier gear is the real kick in the pants :/
(05-01-2013, 10:46 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I remember someone I knew playing Puzzle Pirates like ten years ago.
Yes, that sounds about right.

Part of the remaining appeal is a very player-run setting (which expanded a good deal shortly after I stopped playing). At least as far as I recall, it’s kind of like EVE Online for... people who like cutesy pirate sprites and nonthreatening modes of violence. Kind of.
the thing was they didn't even have to do it because krogmo's arena would have occupied a lot of time between dungeon runs anyway, plus most of the not excessively paying players weren't exactly maxed out anyway

as for puzzle pirates, since it appeals to a wide range of possible players, it can just run on that alone, even without the fancy stuff

if you just want to hang out and not be heavily focused on the gameplay every moment, it's a pretty ideal set up
oh you mean during the beta?

hahaha but the beta's economy was both wonderful and terrible

because CE cost 2k but really that's why I hate the way that OOO has the game set up

the fact that the price structure is balanced in a way that makes CE at a MASSIVE premium - because let's see what costs CE now?

>making any armor that's 2* or higher requires more CE than you can get with just mist
>unless you purchase an Elevator pass, which is about 10 bucks and lasts a month, it costs 10 mist/CE to go down every floor
>You can control UVs now, but it costs CE
>You can also unbind items, but again. CE.
>You have to pay 250 a month for each weapon slot past 2, and 150 a month for each trinket slot
>to get to the new after-endgame levels and bosses (shadow lairs), you need a good 1.8k ce or something for a shadow key. And you need one EACH TIME so you better not fucking die or you just lost everything
>to get "Accessories" from unboxing, which is a new thing, you have to sink 800 CE or so into a silver key, one per box. unless they're promotions, then you just have to buy CE to get them OH WAIT
(Accessories are semi-recent additions that happen to be cosmetic items they are also usually only exceeded in cost by 5* weapons and recipes)

and the economy is still somewhat terrible because there are people who will actually buy large amounts of CE with cash or crowns, (or just save ridiculous numbers of crowns) and then make "bidblocks" - offers to buy more than 100 copies of 100 ce at the same price and because of how the market works that means it has to go through all 100 of those offers before getting to anyone lower and

argh.
argh

the game would be so much more fun if it wasn't set up in a way that made trying to do ANYTHING past the tutorial recquire either ultimate grindfest time or paying up

I would settle for a goddamn monthly fee over the way the game is set up because as it is it's actually a WORSE setup
Super if the CE cost was lower than 4k it was during beta still

the actual launch of non-beta SK was the day it came out on Steam, officially.

I actually started playing back then and dungeon runs DID still at the time at least sort of cover the costs; and it is easier to get more crowns due to the whole Mission thing they implemented

but you still basically need to grind the Firestorm Citadel for crowns to get CE unless you buy it, and that's most effectively accomplished with guilds

...which is a problem because the Guild Hall update actually forced a large number of guilds to break up, including one of the more famous guilds, Unity, which was formed of some of the best players from back in the Beta days
(05-01-2013, 06:00 PM)Solaris Wrote: »
(05-01-2013, 07:55 AM)Plaid Wrote: »i don't know

it's great.
PLAID NO IT IS A TRAP

Does a sad thing happen? A sad thing happens, doesn't it D:
On advice of legal counsel, that can be neither confirmed nor denied.
So that's a yes

It's okay, i've gotten to the point where things are pointing that way anyway. Just beat the 2nd trigon.
Sorry to derail but a quick poker intermission
Brock forces me all in on the flop
considering I had a straight I thought "whats the worst that could happen"

SpoilerShow

Now back to your regularly scheduled content
The whole "woeful errand" deal isn't too subtle.
I was gonna come back and kill the boor later, but then he ran off and the game thought I was a nice person.
Figuring out the titanic tree took a silly amount of time, partially because what you need to do isn't as obvious on the PC as it is on a touchpad.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
I got really stuck on the dragging the two cliff faces together part early on on the pc, hence why I'm touchscreening it this time.

What happens if you kill the boor, anyway?
You just get a message that informs you that you are a bad person, more or less.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
I think I have an inkling of what my Dark Souls post looked like now.
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
Fact: I know exactly what mine looked like and still made it

Also Super, let me put it into perspective: the only way to know how strong enemies in a mission are is to look at which boss is next

Mission 2-4 is Snarbolax I believe, 4-4 is Jelly King, 5-4 may or may not be Roarmulus Twins I don't fully remember the order here, and 7-5, the last mission, is vanaduke

there are a SHITTON of missions

Prestige missions on the other hand have their difficulty determined by the total level of the gear you're wearing, which you can find in the "Loadouts" screen

basically if your current armor set is ranked "T3" in PvE, it automatically sends you to T3 Prestige; which... full 5* is kinda T3

Yeah it's sort of a bitch now. They did a recent UI update to so everything looks weird

As far as weapons: Polaris is a pain in the ass to get because you have to find the bloody recipes or buy them for obscene amounts, as well as beat R-twins enough to get the base gun in the first place. However, Polaris is one of the best elemental guns in the game atm due to its pathetically large range and being able to inflict shock. It's especially preferred in PvP (I still like my Argent Peacemaker and Sentenza better). So it's worth making, but it's a pain to make.

Khorovod is good if you like that kind of weapon BUuuuut Sudaruska is arguably less useful than Triglav anyways; and if you just want a heavy sword Divine Avenger is better anyways............ hahahaha....

having mixed resistances is all well and good, but can be negated by just timing your dodges and shielding well, as I learned. Let me put it this way - technically, Azure Guardian armor has one of the worst resistances of all armor sets (Normal and Piercing are near useless in T3), but I still beat FSC with zero damage in it... so uh

Up to you, but you'll have to upgrade it. Personally, I'd go with Vog or Skolver just to get the sword speed bonus if you're using Sudaruska.

Also if you want any compadres I'd probably be up for helping out, I'm out of class for the summer after next week, so I should be able to do stuff. And if I feel like it I might use some spare steam cash I have sitting around for an ele pass. Grinding can actually be fun in this game. sometimes.
(05-02-2013, 06:03 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »
(05-02-2013, 04:50 PM)Pick Yer Poison Wrote: »I think I have an inkling of what my Dark Souls post looked like now.

SpoilerShow
Fact: Spiral Knights, when played at a high enough level, is more akin to a bullet hell than you'd expect

SpoilerShow

I've had an elevator pass before; I got a pretty good bit of use out of it at the time. If I bought it I'd probably use it to play with you guys some but also with some friends from my former guild (which was doing pretty well until it collapsed under the weight of the guild update)
yeah, i read about it

what did they do that caused veterans to quit

AND WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING IT
(05-02-2013, 06:53 PM)weirdguy Wrote: »yeah, i read about it

what did they do that caused veterans to quit

AND WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING IT

SpoilerShow
Really if OOO:
  • Cut crafting CE costs by half, or maybe even just 100
  • Made the endgame bosses (shadow lairs) more accessible
  • Stopped making more fucking promotional recolors of the currently available accessories
  • Killed the "10 energy to go down one floor" restriction so that you weren't super limited in what you were doing in F2P
  • Made more NEW CONTENT like not just new enemies, actual new bosses and story stuff
  • Made better new gear/balanced some of the older stuff
  • Generally fixed some of the issues people have been throwing at them since the game launched

it would be a pretty great game. Even just one would be a massive improvement. It's still fun, it's just that it's a massive grindfest with a limit on how much you can grind in its current state.
I played a lot more when I was part of a guild (and had the chance to play whenever I wanted instead of being limited by my dad), because Guilds really do help - a 5* player (who is nice enough/skilled enough) can usually carry a lower leveled player through a few grinds of FSC (the main Final Boss's levels) to help them get CE more easily.

I think the biggest problem is that once you get to 5*, the biggest draws are "getting all the items" and "making yourself look cool", both of which are INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT endeavors! to get one piece of armor from 2* (the normal lowest rank for most of the best armor sets) to 5*, it costs a total of 1400 CE and 8500 crowns. Considering the average trade rate of Crowns to CE is between 7 and 8k for 100 (the base unit of CE is measured in 100s usually), that means that to make one 5* armor piece from a 2*, it costs between 18300 and 19700 crowns, plus a number of materials - some of which can go for ridiculous prices in the auction house and are a pain to grind for.

To put that in perspective, the average FSC run nets you maybe 5k if I remember right. That's one run of 3 of the highest level floors in the game. that's around 4 runs per armor piece, not counting the fact that you need to get "heat" on the weapons or armor you're upgrading to a specific point, and the recipe, which when bought from a vender cost 20k for just the 5*, and are even MORE expensive from the AH and...

see where I'm going with this? The easy way out for high level players is to "buy CE and sell it for crowns" to be able to get what you want. :/