Black Zenith [Adventure RPG / Chapter Four: Fires of Heaven]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Zenith

[Image: pFzZR2o.png?1]

This is a game in progress and additional players are not currently needed. Apologies for the mess of old broken links.

This game was previously located here. Also, this first post is horribly outdated and you probably shouldnt take it too seriously.

Welcome to Black Zenith, the continuation of my previous game, A New Dawn. This is an rpg-style game taking place years after the events of A New Dawn, in which we will follow the actions of a new team of player characters destined to walk a path none of them would have imagined. The game is almost entirely text based and uses a homemade d20 dice system.

SpoilerShow

This game will probably last several months, so i would appreciate it if only people who know they are going to be sticking around for some time sign up. I will be putting significant effort into this project, so i will be expecting some degree of dedication or another from my players. Dont be scared off too easy, though - perhaps i will consider allowing for certain npc's to be written by interested readers or something similar - just inquire in the thread or by pm if you are interested in taking a smaller role.

The Story so far:

After a band of heroes defeated the twin tyrannical terrors who had been plaguing the realm for many decades, peace settled at last on our world, though the heroes were never heard from again. On that day, a golden sun of light Dawned and cast its rays of light over the land along with those of the everyday sun. According to stories only barely remembered, the coming of this sun had been told of long ago as a sign, though of what exactly, noone remembered. Nevertheless, people went on with their lives and humanity prospered over many years. Slowly, though, the golden sun began to darken, and as it darkened, so did the world bit by bit. Stories of dark creatures and ill tidings began to spread, and eventually smaller villages began to come under threat from these creatures; It was no longer safe, and strife had once again returned to our world. This is where the second chapter of our story begins.

---

Now, before we go into explaining the rules, i should probably show you the character sheet, to give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

Name:
Race: (Most of anything allowed)
Traits: (Certain things you are skilled at - you have 3 traits to start off with. More information found below)
Special Ability: (A special move only you can perform. More information below)
Combat Stats: (Stats represent different aspects of your character - i believe we all know how the combat variety work. You have 65 points to spend as you like, but check the rules on combat stats first!)
  • Strength:
  • Speed:
  • Affinity:
  • Constitution:
  • Defense:
  • Precision:
Social Stats: (Stats represent different aspects of your character - you use social stats when interacting with npcs, primarily. You have 30 points to spend as you like, but check the rules on social stats first!)
  • Sincerity:
  • Guile:
  • Intimidate:
  • Charm:
Class: (A summary of what your character is about - doesnt actually do anything - OPTIONAL)
Description:
Bio:
Current Occupation/Goal/Wish/Personal Objective or likewise:

Gamerules

Wall of text inbound. It is recommended to read atleast some of it.

SpoilerShow

So, in the unlikely event that i have not yet managed to scare you off, good luck with signing up; I will wait for a few days to give anyone who happens to be interested sufficient time to sign up. This is not first come first server; I will choose and pick among the sign ups. Let it be noted that those who have played A New Dawn have already been granted a free reservation, through. That said, i am looking for a total of 7 Players.

Arts!
SpoilerShow

'Let the lord of chaos rule.'

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
RE: Black Zenith [Adventure RPG / Chapter Three: Forgotten Whispers]
Participating Characters:
  • 1: Thunderpaw [Masterblade]
  • 2: Takumi [sjasogun]
  • 3: Jane "Doe" [Unknown_Entity]
  • 4: Daril Graves [Riou]
  • 5: Bohw & Mayor [BlazerC]
  • 6: Selphy [Supernerd]
  • 7: Heedal [wlzrobert]
  • 8: Echo & Renzo [Psychout]
  • 9: Nos Reaper [Dais]
  • 10: Evergreen [InoxFy]
  • 11: Sir Watson [ICan'tGiveCredit]
  • 12: Savannah [SupahKiven]
  • 13: Myra [Levyse]

Player Character Sheets below!

Thunderpaw

SpoilerShow

Takumi

SpoilerShow

Jane "Doe"

SpoilerShow

Daril Graves

SpoilerShow

Bohw & Mayor

SpoilerShow

Selphy

SpoilerShow

Heedal

SpoilerShow

Nos Reaper

SpoilerShow

Sir Watson Arty Gawser The Twenty Third

SpoilerShow

Savannah

SpoilerShow

Myra

SpoilerShow

Renzo

SpoilerShow

Money and Misc:

SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
With the group further down the hallway, Thunderpaw waves his hand to call a pause. "Now that we're out of earshot from the soldiers, there is something our ruins exploration party should know. Our objective remains the same; find information, seek relics. But there's more to it than that. A lot more. I think its time we discussed it in full."

SpoilerShow
[Image: xY5u0.png]

"My aversion to telling the full story is not out of distrust; rather, out of fear of the truth. Here lies a cult, hellbent on destroying the kingdom as we know it. Within its legion lies men and monster alike, with countless allies and shadow minions. Its highest-ranking all wield shadows as their weapon, and leave darkness instead of corpses. This is not an army of man; there isn't a single civilization responsible, no prize to be gained. Their leader isn't even human."

"A tear in the world, born of void and thirsting to consume everything. A Wyrm, if it could even be described as such. Long ago it devoured the world, the entirety of it. Heroes used a great light and kept it from ending existence, but not before it took their own. And yet, I doubt it simply ended there. Legend tells of our second sun, a great light, slowly growing dimmer over time. Now it acts as a void in itself, stealing the light of the sky. What was its bane I suspect now acts as our end."

"So how do we stop it? I honestly don't know."

"All we have are a few subtle hints. Aven'sera, a relic the cultists were after for one reason or another. She holds light that banes the dark, we just need to figure out how to use it. There's also the remnants of the brothers of arms; the ones that fought and fell before our journey. They certainly hold secrets we may need to stop this thing. However, as of now there is no escape. Everything we know /will/ be destroyed if we fail. It isn't the kingdom or a continent on the line. If we die, the world dies."

"It's surely some grim shit we got ourselves into. Steel yourselves. This journey's only just begun."
[Image: darksun1.png]

SupahKiven;7100690 Wrote:Savannah takes a deep breath as magic power floods back into her. While it is nice to have superhuman strength occasionally, she much preferred using magic. Plus, there were more things you could do with magic. Not that she disliked hitting things. She felt better, the soothing throb of magic helping her think. Well... she did specialize in ice. Hopefully, having the power the plants provided would be enough. Savannah casts a spell, trying to freeze an ice bridge across the electrified water.

Though you concentrate your powers, you have a great deal of trouble freezing a bridge across solid water, and thats without considering however the electricity is affecting things. Regardless, you manage to create a relatively small and thin path of frost, leading to the western doorway (roll 4+4) You wouldnt feel safe trying to walk across that, though, and even if it held, you have no idea whether or not the electricity courses through the ice. You think Bohw might be able to get across, if she was careful. Maybe. You're not entirely sure. Thunderpaw definitely would if he didnt wear armor.

BlazerC;7101728 Wrote:Bohw holsters her crossbow and cups her hands together, trying to conjure a ball of light to act as a light source.

"Floating blocks..."

Bohw thinks about it for a moment looking at the pool of water, trying to examine the pulsing light within.

"I could blow up whatever's causing that light show down there."

You conjure a flickering ball of light. Its rather unstable, magically, but provides a lot more illumination that you had previously and everyone is grateful that someone finally fixed that problem (roll 4-1).

You could probably blow up whatever is generating the electricity, but you'd have to wrap your explosives up in something that is watertight enough to keep your flame burning long enough for the bomb to blow up.

Or you could use magic. Magic also works.

MasterBlade;7103902 Wrote:Thunderpaw gets rather tired of sitting in the dark. He conjures a Blade of Light and tosses it down the dark passage in the northern hallway. Wether the darkness is magic or not, that blade would smite it pretty well. Who knows? There might be something good down there.

You conjure your Blade of Light, then throw it down the northern hallway with a rather lopsided aim (Hit 2+4), illuminating nothing much of interest. The hallway seems to turn right a short distance in, but you cant see whats further in. Well, atleast you know that there are no enemies hiding in that direction, now. Unless they're invisible or something. They might be. You never know.

No, they're not invisible.

oh also we're on the eagletime forums now. that might be worth noting.

Stats
SpoilerShow

Map:
SpoilerShow
"This may seem extremely silly and most likely is but would it be worth it sticking my head underwater and breathing fire at whatever's causing the current?"
oh hello checking in yes
(04-07-2013, 06:12 PM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »"This may seem extremely silly and most likely is but would it be worth it sticking my head underwater and breathing fire at whatever's causing the current?"

its electricity not a current

y u never read things :c
I do readz things! Blankaloupe Isn't there an electric current being produced?
yea

k i thought you meant like a water current

nevermind i just want to whine about something

go ahead if you want
"Hold on, hold on, I got something going. Feel free to try and destroy the shock maker though." Savannah seems to feel better, she's back to having that snarky tone in her voice. From her perch on Mayor's shoulders, she again focuses on the ice bridge, making it thicker and sturdier.
"It looks like the farther passage links back to the blocked-off hallway. Do we follow it, or do we go deeper into what looks like more traps?"
Nos chuckles. "More traps, obviously. What are you, some kind of sissy who values his life or something?" He snorts. "Sheesh." He looks across the gap at the others still trying to get across. "Would you lot hurry up already? Cripes, it's like everyone here cares about their own lives. Pfft."
((Hi I am here and no longer really there much at all and that is fine yes because now we are here and it is wonderful and all that.))

(04-09-2013, 12:25 AM)SupahKiven Wrote: »"Hold on, hold on, I got something going. Feel free to try and destroy the shock maker though." Savannah seems to feel better, she's back to having that snarky tone in her voice. From her perch on Mayor's shoulders, she again focuses on the ice bridge, making it thicker and sturdier.

You expand upon your path of frost, widening and thickening it until it is safe for even Mayor to walk across (roll 12+4). You can proceed west now, should you wish to.

Stats
SpoilerShow

Map:
SpoilerShow
Watson is about to put his head in the water only to find most of it being frozen.

"Well. There seems to be no more need for burning things underwater anymore. Wonderful work, Savannah. I'll just... cross this."

Watson, being careful where he steps, tests out and crosses the bridge.
You succesfully cross over!
Turns out that ice isnt conductive.
Savannah smirks. "Yeah! That's how it's done." She hops off of Mayor's shoulders, patting the golem on the arm. "Thanks big guy. Mayor, right?" She walks across the bridge pridefully.
SpoilerShow

Mayor nods in response to Savannah but remains cautious for now, not crossing the ice until everyone else is across, he does weigh quite a damn bit after all.

Bohw steps onto the ice bridge reluctantly, then rapidly runs across to the others. Once she gets across she looks back on the ice bridge and gives Savannah a short pat on the back.

"Oy, good work there girl."
yes thank you you saved everything!

e: and why yes imageshack are jerks, they used to be a chill place but now theyre just like no

(04-15-2013, 12:35 PM)BlazerC Wrote: »Mayor nods in response to Savannah but remains cautious for now, not crossing the ice until everyone else is across, he does weigh quite a damn bit after all.

Bohw steps onto the ice bridge reluctantly, then rapidly runs across to the others. Once she gets across she looks back on the ice bridge and gives Savannah a short pat on the back.

"Oy, good work there girl."

Mayor gets everyone herded across the bridge of frost, though Thunderpaw and Nos just kinds of jumped and explodinated themselves across the water, respectively. Once only Mayor remained, he cautiously made his way across the bridge, clinging to the nearby wall as much as possible in order to take some of his weight off. Even so, the ice groaned in protest as the giant hunk of animate metal passed by. Mayor managed to get safely across, though.

As the party began to advance down this hallway, relying on Bohw's flickering ball of light for illumination, an angry hiss suddenly sounds up ahead, quickly followed by a crossbow bolt, glancing off of Thunderpaw's armor!

A previously ignored shadow detaches itself from behind a pile of crumpled rock, resolving into the serpentine shape of a naga, creeping forward and clutching a crossbow in one hand even as he prepares some sinister spell with the other! He hisses something incomprehensible, the faint light glinting in his scales and off his breastplate.

Stats
SpoilerShow

Map:
SpoilerShow
"Hey, hey, nice! I wonder if I can stop you, though?" Nos stares at the naga and attempts to conjure a rock-to-the-head, obviously as much for the comedy benefit as for the chance to interrupt the naga's spell.
Thunderpaw, noting the ancient yet precise weapon in the naga's off hand, takes the opportunity to disarm it. He jumps from wall to wall along the hallway and smashes the naga's wrist in an attempt to have it drop the weapon, and if it works he'll swipe it before the beast can.
Savannah glances at the unoccupied hand of the Naga. He's gotta be doing something with that hand. She focuses on it, causing the cells in the beast's forearm to grow and replicate in an almost cancer-like fashion.
Watson goes for the other hand that Savannah is growing on the naga.

"Hello there!", Watson says as he grabs the naga's hand. "Pleased to meet you."

Watson then starts shaking the naga's hand up and down quickly. Suddenly he wrenches it around the naga's head, attempting to rip the arm out of the socket (if it has one) and choke the naga with it at the same time.

(Oh, and please make sure Watson doesn't get hand cancer ;) )
[[I'm not attempting to grow another hand on the thing? I'm trying to fuck up its arm by rapidly growing the cells there. Like giving it a huge tumor.]]
[[When I said "growing the hand", i meant you were making the hand grow]]