We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
(04-10-2013, 09:02 AM)Wheat Wrote: »Wait how does mega man breathe in that stage? He is a human robot, someone tell me how, how does mega man breathe under water with boxing gloves on

He's a robo man, he doesn't need oxygen. The better question would be, how does he float if he's made of metal? Why is he lighter in the wat- oh wait, it's a video game.

I wish every AVGN-like reviewer ended their videos with that last sentence 5 seconds after they start.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
(04-10-2013, 10:10 AM)weirdguy Wrote: »to be fair this is the group that thought a robot dog was better than giving megaman his own jets

he's a fucking robot

upgrade his legs

I didn't ask for this.
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
Speaking of Megaman, this was going to be a thing.
[Image: tumblr.png] [Image: signature.gif] [Image: sig.gif]
I don't like how those are bullets rather than lasers
apparently, so does most of japan, cause that's why lasers are used in the first place

aesthetically it also drowns out the music

technically, MMBN's default buster uses bullets, although since they're both virtual and invisible, it doesn't seem to count
tbh, i kinda want to play that game too

since it was still in development, they could have easily tweaked all those things to other things

(also, when he runs out of ammunition from a stolen cannon, he should have thrown the cannon at another robot)
I like how they tried to implement the core Megaman X gameplay like dashing and (according to the article) walljumping. It's hard for me to imagine a gritty Megaman game though.

Metroid Prime has very little significant combat imo so i wouldn't call it the same game if the megaman one wasn't about exploration.
The game itself looks hella cool, a lot like if Vanquish and Metroid Prime had a baby, but the game being Megaman doesn't work at all. You can definitely make a Megaman FPS, but turning it dark and serious won't really work. Feels like it would receive the same reaction and ultimately end up being the same deal as Blunder Of The Century DmC. (the fact that it's Capcom again doesn't help in that regard)

Also: It's not like when they took Metroid into Metroid Prime they turned the games dark and serious. Metroid was already pretty serious in the first place. No real reason to do it to Megaman. The whole idea doesn't really bother me, I don't like the dark and serious aspect, but it is something "new".
Man that really reminds me of Bomberman: Act Zero.

Oh god now I'm remembering Bomberman: Act Zero.
My headcanon says this is Michael Bay's Megaman X.

yeah that's right i went there
Heh

(04-10-2013, 09:59 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Honestly though, there's little "significant combat" in any of the Mega Man games. Only the bosses actually matter. And the exploration thing could work if they made it connected to Mega Man Zero or ZX, perhaps.

Well the only exploration parts of MMZ were the resistance bases and ZX was basically metroid but done worse.

Whatever, i say the could have made it work in some way or another.
ehhhhh they probably could have made it work but the designs bug me straight up

X looks too much like a galleon with that faceplate

for reference, Galleons are those overly common blue irritations in the MMZ games
I believe they're called phanteons, and they're great, aesthetically appealing, mindless enemies. Mr. Decepticon iron man-man up there doesn't have an ounce of charm in him.

I think it's interesting they made him less human though, for a gritty reboot i'd have imagined a strong-ass stereotypically 'merican tough dude in a robo suit.

E: The Galleons are from ZX and they're not as cool as the Phanteons.
(04-11-2013, 12:17 AM)Ed Wrote: »I believe they're called phanteons, and they're great, aesthetically appealing, mindless enemies. Mr. Decepticon iron man-man up there doesn't have an ounce of charm in him.

I think it's interesting they made him less human though, for a gritty reboot i'd have imagined a strong-ass stereotypically 'merican tough dude in a robo suit.

E: The Galleons are from ZX and they're not as cool as the Phanteons.

*Pantheons
but yes sorry, They are Pantheons; Galleons are the MMZX version of Pantheons and the only thing they have over Pantheons is motorbikes and they usually crash those

I actually like the Pantheon design, but Pantheons are essentially inferior, mass produced copies of X - so having him look like one is just bleh

but yeah that design just... it's like they crossed Cyborg Raiden with a Pantheon and slapped a new human face on inside the helmet. X is a robot! a ridiculously human one, but a robot! not a cyborg! He should not look like one plz k thanks!

tho this does make me wonder - how would Zero, Vile, and Sigma look in that style? Would vile finally look less like a Boba Fett knock off and more like a total badass?
More importantly: what about zeros HAIR
I suspect if it were still there it'd be all really obvious wires/fiber optic cables
I loved everything about the Dark Souls 2 gameplay preview. Not one thing I disliked.

Deflecting projectiles? Enemies punishing you for trying to stab their back? Enemies getting mad and bursting through walls to get ya? Torches? Better lighting that really adds to the atmosphere?

I am excited.

Really hoping all this talk of improving enemy AI means that they'll be more aggressive instead of letting you snipe them from afar without retaliation allowing for way too many cheesing opportunities.
(04-11-2013, 05:56 PM)Magical Girl Yuri-Chan Wrote: »I loved everything about the Dark Souls 2 gameplay preview. Not one thing I disliked.

Deflecting projectiles? Enemies punishing you for trying to stab their back? Enemies getting mad and bursting through walls to get ya? Torches? Better lighting that really adds to the atmosphere?

I am excited.

Really hoping all this talk of improving enemy AI means that they'll be more aggressive instead of letting you snipe them from afar without retaliation allowing for way too many cheesing opportunities.

I'm pretty much in agreement. It looks lovely, fun, and - above all, challenging. I would readily welcome smarter enemies, and the ones they have certainly look interesting. I'd say it's a shame we didn't see more of the combat, but it looks like it's mostly just a slight rework of the stuff that made Dark Souls stand out from other hack-and-slash games - which is good, because it was a great system and I really enjoyed it.

I just hope the bosses are good. One of the things I miss from my first run of Dark Souls (beyond just generally not knowing what was coming) was staring at that fog gate and debating internally whether I wanted to risk my souls and humanity on an unknown.
capcom, do you even want to do this anymore

you can tell us if you're going to retire, we won't judge
(04-11-2013, 06:53 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Svensson.

I don't think Capcom actually understands video games anymore. Every release can't be a top 3 best-seller. Did you think a game with strong but cult popularity that like six people demanded was gonna? Y- ... you're dumb! That is dumb.

Moreover, I think it's indicative of a problem within the industry on the whole that a best-selling game is a failure because it didn't sell as well as predicted. I don't know, maybe some companies are too focused on their profit margins as opposed to bringing interesting content to consumers.

Aren't most people disappointed when something does worse than they were expecting it to? It's reasonable to say "it still did well," but it's also reasonable to be disappointed that your expectations weren't fulfilled (disregarding for a moment whether or not those expectations were reasonable themselves, which seems to be the real problem here). And if Capcom had planned out other parts of their budget based on the game's projected sales, then it makes even more sense they'd be "disappointed" with the actual numbers.
(04-11-2013, 05:56 PM)Magical Girl Yuri-Chan Wrote: »I loved everything about the Dark Souls 2 gameplay preview. Not one thing I disliked.

I am excited.

Yeah, everything in the preview looked fantastic. It really looks like what a sequel to Dark Souls should be: an updated game, building on the core of Dark Souls without changing the core itself. DaS was the base of a game with fantastic gameplay that has very, very few flaws, and DaS2 only needs to build on that fantastic gameplay. "Don't fix what isn't broken" at its finest.

Additionally, From Software understands that there is literally no need to "streamline" DaS or appeal to casuals. One thing they said about DaS2 is that they aren't making the game more "accessible" but more "clear"; which is good, because one of the flaws in the original Dark Souls is that a lot of the mechanics aren't really that clear to first time players.

My favorite thing about Dark Souls is not that it's hard, but that it's a challenge. I absolutely love that it tests your patience and endurance, has the player plan everything out strategically and approach every situation with caution. I don't know any other game that does that, at least as well as Dark Souls does. There's not a thing they need to change about that in DaS2.

EDIT: By the way, I haven't even finished Dark Souls. Still in Anor Londo.
You know, when a good while after DmC was revealed, Capcom said they're expecting 4 to 5 million in sales. Close to release, 2 million. Closer to release, 1.2 million. It makes 1 million sales. And it's not a failure, apparently.

I mean, we do live in an industry where Dead Space 3 had to sell 5 million to survive, and Tomb Raider failed to meet expectations at 3.6 million sales on launch, so I don't know. Inflated expectations and budgets, I guess?
(04-11-2013, 07:02 PM)Pick Yer Poison Wrote: »
(04-11-2013, 06:53 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Svensson.

I don't think Capcom actually understands video games anymore. Every release can't be a top 3 best-seller. Did you think a game with strong but cult popularity that like six people demanded was gonna? Y- ... you're dumb! That is dumb.

Moreover, I think it's indicative of a problem within the industry on the whole that a best-selling game is a failure because it didn't sell as well as predicted. I don't know, maybe some companies are too focused on their profit margins as opposed to bringing interesting content to consumers.

Aren't most people disappointed when something does worse than they were expecting it to? It's reasonable to say "it still did well," but it's also reasonable to be disappointed that your expectations weren't fulfilled (disregarding for a moment whether or not those expectations were reasonable themselves, which seems to be the real problem here). And if Capcom had planned out other parts of their budget based on the game's projected sales, then it makes even more sense they'd be "disappointed" with the actual numbers.
from what I can tell of their practices, the only games that are actually MADE are from projects who were able to either meet unrealistically high goals (which is doubtful) or from projects that were able to successfully hide their budget until they were made through trickery (see: most of Inafune's later projects)

this is my reasoning for why most of Inafune's projects in varying stages had their plugs pulled regardless of their status seeing as they could have otherwise at least tried to continue
On a lighter note, what are your guys' guilty pleasure games (games that aren't lauded but you still like to play them anyways)?

I enjoy playing Suikoden Tierkreis a lot. It basic turn-based combat, tedious quests, and annoying characters. But I just love the campy, "we can do it together!", multiverse storyline. I just feel all nice and fuzzy when I play this game.
So you feel guilty because you're enjoying something? Okay.

I'm actually happy they're abandoning Darkstalkers forever, i'd rather remember it as the awesome franchise it always has been as opposed to see it fall apart like most of Capcom's other Ip's.