We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
i plan on filling up all three of the atari bars this time. I will not be satisfied with less than 100% completion.
(04-06-2013, 08:29 AM)cyber95 Wrote: »i plan on filling up all three of the atari bars this time. I will not be satisfied with less than 100% completion.

have fun with the clown and the chickens

(those fucking chickens I swear to christ)
I think the dumbest thing about the black holes is that they literally don't even do anything. There's nothing specific to the presence of the black holes that makes you fall off, the game just checks if you're in certain forbidden coordinates to check if you're off the stage. So, it doesn't care if you're like, some distance from a black hole, it just cares if you're out of bounds on the stage. Note that this the exact same way all the other 3D Mario games checked if you've fallen to your death.

The worst example in the game of this is the galaxy with the big mountain. The game lets you climb around the back of the mountain off the obvious path (teensy spoiler)
SpoilerShow
but it only lets you stand in certain areas. If you get too near a couple slopes, the game just pulls you into a black hole, without even giving you a chance to escape. When I die on a Mario stage, my gosh, at least have the design of the stage kill me and not some arbitrary out-of-bounds limit magically programmed in.

e (also superfrequency get ready for this bullshit. they're actually pretty fun once you get used to them, especially the loopdeeswoop galaxy, but like, holy shit i think i slowly amassed one-ups just faster than i lost lives to get all the way up to 99 lives)
So, Mewthree/New forme for Mewtwo confirmed.

And yes, the fandom is currently burning in a flame war the likes of which we have never seen before. I just checked.
The black holes are literally just window dressing to put pits into the game, so that's why they act exactly like pits instead of like a black hole would. Yeah, there are a couple parts where it's messed up, but that's found in any Mario game. I never really felt the pits didn't fit into the game, too. Did they actually not fit in, play-wise, to you guys? Or was it just that they're not acting like you feel they should?
So are we really complaining about a themed death sequence? My suspension of disbelief in Mario was broken when I killed the Sun that one time.

Also for someone complaining about a lack of Platforming, wanting every level to be more like Gusty Garden seems like a bizarre choice, considering the only reason to jump is to then ground pound
(04-07-2013, 02:25 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Also you get a "fly" meter for the bee suit so why the hell not for the ice and fire flowers instead of that music. Dumb.
Probably because it's based on something unpredictable rather than a preset timer, so the music would've been harder to code and sound right. Plus, it'd come up a lot more often and be all the more prone to being annoying (I didn't find the flower music that bad in part because it's not that common?)

Also, re: Mario 64 clonage and Sunshine, I honestly feel what's probably the opposite of you here. Sunshine felt like a 64 clone with a gimmick added on that often detracted; the common reliance on jetpacking wasn't something I found all that fun, and cleaning the ugly paint was a miserable chore to me. Galaxy, on the other hand, felt like a new and memorable (in a good way) take on it all.
I think the problem is that the black holes are there just like the people obstructing your path in Pokemon are. They're just there because it's a game, it's a bandaid solution. It didn't bother me that much though.

I agree about the power ups, the fire flower music in particular is extremely obnoxious. Not to mention all the wiggling you have to do when you get it, ugh. Wiggling to spin and skate was okay, but not to shoot fireballs. It makes it hard to aim and it's just tiring, when you get the fire flower all you want to do is spam fireballs all over the place but nope, gotta wait until you can spin again. It would have been cool if you had the fireballs mapped to a button press and make the spin shoot fireballs around you like FLUDD.

I like the blue stars that put Mario in a bubble.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
I think I ended up liking Galaxy 2 a lot better than the first one, but then again, I liked the first one a lot too. Hmm, now that I think about it, it's probably my least favorite Super Mario platformer.

Oh wait no there's 3D Land. I didn't even really like that one, it was just too easy and too fast.

(In other news, I beat Braid with 52:17.43. I'm not even sure if it's possible to get past 45 minutes, has anyone here done that?)
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
i thought epic yarn was criticized for not being kirby

and then there was mass attack which everybody was kind of okay with?

also i guess nobody liked phantom hourglass or spirit tracks but i guess minish cap was supposedly better or something

people just like different stuff i guess
They complained because there were no copy abilities, other than that the game is kirby with an invincible cheat code.

Minish Cap is a lot like Alttp, it's alright.
(04-07-2013, 06:34 AM)weirdguy Wrote: »and then there was mass attack which everybody was kind of okay with?
I wasn't. Mass Attack was basically "Pikmin, but put into a space it's unsuited to and with less emphasis on collecting shit."
then there was canvas curse

anyway, considering where mario's been, at this point he's basically cycling rereleases for the benefit of every new generation
Skyward Sword did arguably change the gameplay quite a bit by going direct motion mode, it's just that it wasn't implemented very well and ended up actually being a detriment compared to the swordplay you could do in Twilight Princess once you had all the hidden skills, because you started with every possible sword move and more were never added so all that happened was that enemies got more health and punished you more when the controls didn't work properly, rather than being intrinsically more challenging. And you barely ever used items in combat.
It was still a risk though! It just didn't pay off in any satisfactory fashion.
(04-07-2013, 06:34 AM)weirdguy Wrote: »i thought epic yarn was criticized for not being kirby

and then there was mass attack which everybody was kind of okay with?

also i guess nobody liked phantom hourglass or spirit tracks but i guess minish cap was supposedly better or something

people just like different stuff i guess

The only thing I liked from Kirby: Mass Attack was the minigames (particularly the pinball one, but I've since downloaded Kirby's Pinball Land and now Mass Attack just sort of collects dust). The stages felt like they took forever, you had to replay a good number of them to collect all the coins, and if you accidentally flicked one Kirby into the wrong door well it looks like you're going that way now. The tilting tower stages were fun, if only for the moments solace they offered from Flick Kirby at Everything: The Game.

I like Spirit Tracks because there was a lot to do outside of the main quest. I'm thinking discovery and collection are my main draws to games because the games I enjoy the most seem to include heavy emphasis on either sidequests, collectibles, or a mix of both. You could collect train parts, unlock secret tracks to new islands, and replay the bosses if you felt like it, which is another thing I really like to see in games. The expanding hub dungeon was done better than in PH and having Zelda as a ghostly knight companion made it feel fresh (riding on her shield over lava pits was pretty cool). I don't think it's the most amazing Zelda out there by a long shot, but I certainly don't think it was bad.

I get the feeling I'm unpopular opinion guy around here sometimes (I really like Animal Crossing too), but whatevs. Different strokes.

Has anyone else picked up Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon? I'm only halfway through the second mansion, and I've gotta say I'm loving it.
I don't think liking animal crossing is particularly close to an unpopular opinion .0

I didn't think Spirit Tracks was particularly strong but it wasn't bad either and it was better than constantly repeating one dungeon. Also riding a train amused me even if it was literally on rails and it has the best overworld music in the series.

I feel like I've said that whole paragraph before in this same topic though
So this isn't really along the Nintendo streak we've got going on here, but I've kind of had this urge to do play 3198 from Mojam 2 in the Humble Bundle.

Only problem is that, of course, nobody's ever playing.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
I used to play that some time ago. I guess I've picked it up again now. I think there's a good deal of interplayer shenanigans, if you wanna exchange usernames.
[Image: xwldX.gif]
(04-07-2013, 06:22 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »If you wanted Sunshine to be 64, you are sure to be disappointed, because it's a different game. I emphatically disagree that F.L.U.D.D. was simply a tacked on gimmick and I am perfectly willing to write a long essay to that effect if demanded. It is well implemented at every stage of gameplay and never gets in the way of anything because it's an integral part of everything.
I think I may have not been clear. I found Sunshine to be too derivative of 64, which you feel better applies to Galaxy, and I found Galaxy to be a neat new take on the formula that was nicely done, which you feel applies to Sunshine. I also found the way they used the paint and a lot of the FLUDD stuff to not really fit my liking so it felt tacked on or bad, while you feel the same about some of Galaxy's space trappings and powerup mechanics, right? That's what I'd meant by our views being opposite.
I don't have any sort of definitive argument or anything, since it's more just how it felt to me and I'm not sure that'd transfer over well? But regardless, Sunshine honestly felt like Mario 64 + FLUDD and better graphics whereas Galaxy felt like Mario in Space. If I had to guess, it may have been how Sunshine's hub+open worlds setup was closer to 64 than Galaxy's more numerous but linear worlds, or maybe it was just the window dressing and music and the like, or probably it was that I disliked the changes the FLUDD added enough that I was rejecting them, and so without that was left only with the similar material.

Note that all this doesn't mean I dislike Sunshine or anything. I just rate it below 64 and the Galaxies, personally.
I don't know if i should be excited for this or not, it looks way too similar to Duck Tales.
It does look very promising buuuut the trailer looks like it's just the Knight version of Duck Tales.

I hope it turns out different.
oh god fallen london lets me pick a photo, time to stress out over that for the next 20 minutes
Are you being serious? Your lack of apathy towards the fact that it's Something That Has Been Done Already™ is slightly concerning.
(04-08-2013, 02:31 AM)Ed Wrote: »Are you being serious? Your lack of apathy towards the fact that it's Something That Has Been Done Already™ is slightly concerning.

I don't see why it's a problem though.

If something takes a good amount of inspiration from one game and builds upon that, you'll have something fantastic. Why would that be a problem?
[Image: tumblr.png] [Image: signature.gif] [Image: sig.gif]