We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
(04-03-2013, 03:12 AM)Red709 Wrote: »a solid state drive that slows everything else down... lol

I'm not very knoweledgeable about computers, but isn't that exactly the opposite of what solid state drives do?
Jeez, I can't play horror games. Like, they're very good at their job, and it's obvious that games are an extremely effective medium for horror... which is exactly why I can't play them, because I get the willies like ten minutes in and can't keep going. Frankly, I am a wussy baby who is afraid of the dark!
(04-03-2013, 03:16 PM)Benedict Wrote: »Jeez, I can't play horror games. Like, they're very good at their job, and it's obvious that games are an extremely effective medium for horror... which is exactly why I can't play them, because I get the willies like ten minutes in and can't keep going. Frankly, I am a wussy baby who is afraid of the dark!

Yep. Meanwhile I've never been scared by a horror movie. I laughed all through Paranormal Activity and wondered why my sister found it scary and also the critics apparently.
Same here. The atmosphere in horror movies is so exaggerated that it's actually a magnificent breeding ground for jokes. My sense of humor is so tickled, I can barely hold back making jokes for the entire duration of time spent playing a horror video game like Dead Space or watching something like Paranormal Activity. Well, my friends actually appreciate it as it renders the movie less scary for them, so they even encourage me to joke even more while we watch horror movies together. xD
(04-03-2013, 03:38 PM)Mythee Wrote: »Same here. The atmosphere in horror movies is so exaggerated that it's actually a magnificent breeding ground for jokes. My sense of humor is so tickled, I can barely hold back making jokes for the entire duration of time spent playing a horror video game like Dead Space or watching something like Paranormal Activity. Well, my friends actually appreciate it as it renders the movie less scary for them, so they even encourage me to joke even more while we watch horror movies together. xD
Wait, so that's why the genre savvy and/or snarky guy always dies early on in slasher flicks.

(The Slasherrflix: Halloween version of the Sparkklechix?)
I'm pretty sure the interactive nature of a video game helps. While I'm watching a movie, I know subconsciously that it's a story I'm not involved in; if I look away, it still plays out the same way. But in a video game, whether the hero wins depends on me - and that's a scary thought. Then you throw in enemies and effects and that completes it.

Mind you, it depends heavily on the game. Amnesia, along with the games in the Penumbra series by the same creators, are the only "horror" genre games I can think of where I've had situations in which I cowered somewhere and refused to go on until I was sure things were better. Dead Space, and many other "horror" genre games these days, seem to have forgotten that fear is relative to how much you can do to the things frightening you. If you can shoot the nasties until they stop harassing you, the fear potential drops. I'm actually sort of pleased Dead Space 3 introduced co-op, because it indicates a movement towards "horror-themed shooter" over "shooter-themed horror," which was a trend the previous two games had already been moving along.
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
SpoilerShow

PURE UNDISTILLED HORROR.

As I kid I once turned the console off before Sonic could drown because oh god where's the bubble where's THE BUBBLE AAA I CAN'T HANDLE THIS.
I liked Dead Rising 2 because it gave me exactly what I wanted out of the actual game part. More ways to slaughter, and survivors that had more than a single digit IQ. The mood wasn't the same or as effective, but I'd say it's more fun, in my opinion.
I think being able to run around with a helperbot head and smashing zombies with a 10 foot bench diffuses the horror with comedy fairly well. Also handfuls of pie.

If you want horror, the first Bioshock is actually out-right terrifying on the harder difficulties. You get claustrophobia, splicers from the ceiling, invisible splicers, your building flooding, and big daddies that you know you don't have the ammo to take...
I've been playing Dota 2 and Guild Wars 2. IMO Guild Wars 2 has the best April's Fool event ever.
Actually I don't think I beat the original dead rising. Once the helicopter sentry things showed up shit got kind of harder.
(04-03-2013, 04:24 PM)MrGuy Wrote: »Wait, so that's why the genre savvy and/or snarky guy always dies early on in slasher flicks.

(The Slasherrflix: Halloween version of the Sparkklechix?)

Gdi, you're right! xD If not killed off at the start to make the movie more suspenseful, I'd be killed off exactly like Bill Murray in Zombieland... by my own bad prank.

'Scary Movie' tho
[I heard there's a new one? Or a new one's coming out?]

Y'all have had the time to play so many games I only wish I had the time for. Jelleeeehhh
(04-04-2013, 12:49 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I was not aware that you could still get away with blatantly cloning games as late as 2008.

Whaaaaaaaat, how... but.... im...

The sounds are even the same what is going on how did this exist.
Animal Crossing operates on the only level of "Pure Work/Reward" lower than GRINDAN games. You do work, you get stuff, the world keeps spinning. People find it addicting because it offers the feeling of advancement without having to dedicate your time to gaining skill.

Like most GRINDAN games, I'd recommend Animal Crossing for when you want to relax, but not if you're looking to actually play a game.
I liked collecting the cute gyroid things from Animal Crossing and filling my house with them. The only reason I wanted a bigger house was to have more gyroids. Once that was achieved, I lost interest.

[Image: Rustoid.jpg]

But it was fun and relaxing to play while on the electric bike. I recommend it for multitasking like playing while eating or playing while on an elliptical/stairmaster/electric bike/any other exercise machine that leaves your hands free
I couldn't even play pokemon like that, my hands shake too much.

(04-04-2013, 06:41 PM)Mehgamehn Wrote: »Like most GRINDAN games, I'd recommend Animal Crossing for when you want to relax, but not if you're looking to actually play a game.

More like when you want to waste your time. Personally, i can't find any kind of enjoyment out of something like that, playing an exciting game is way more relaxing to me.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Hey, so! I have one Dota 2 pass I still need to give away. Anyone want it? It's early access to a game that's gonna go F2P eventually (since they're the developer, it's eventually in Valve time). Just remember that, nobody what happens or what you do, DON'T get immediately into matchmaking unless you're a masochist who enjoy it when your teammates are yelling at you. (Matchmaking is more fun with friends anyway)

So you should go and practice in bot practice instead. There's a tutorial called a quest, but it needs work and is incomplete (It doesn't even explain the importance of creep control, the courier or the wards!)

I'd be more than happy to mentor you in bot practice, but it won't be right now since I am gonna go to bed soon and Dota 2 matches can take over 30/60 minutes. My steam account is in the WWW link below this post.
There's a bot on steam that you could give it to.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/dota2bot

It's legit, I got my copy from it.
(04-04-2013, 07:14 PM)cyber95 Wrote: »There's a bot on steam that you could give it to.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/dota2bot

It's legit, I got my copy from it.

I'd rather give my copy to someone who I am certain would play at least one match with me, but thanks.
Oh that's really neat, i'm gonna give 'em all my extra invites.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
(04-04-2013, 03:31 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Konami published it, too. And just look at the box art. Mmmmhm.

I don't understand why anyone would clone Animal Crossing, because it is not a winning formula. I made a serious attempt to play it again without time-cheating that lasted maybe a week. There just isn't anything to do. Maybe if your interactions with the townsfolk were less shallow. Accruing money to pay off your debt is no challenge whatsoever, and if you're in it to decorate you basically check a handful of places every day for a tiny selection of randomly rotating furniture.
Actually, it would make lots of sense to copy Animal Crossing because it's such a winning formula.

Yeah, I don't quite understand why either, but the piles of money Nintendo's now swimming in don't lie.
Man, this whole Backloggery thing is so dang useful. Like, I know it's just a silly way of organizing my games and also putting them in my signature, but somehow that really helps me focus on a few games at a time instead of letting my ADHD take me from game to game until I forget what I did in every one of them.
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
I have got to make sure to actually bring my copies of Myst and Riven back with me when I go home...it makes it a bit hard to play them on my XP desktop if I never remember to bring back both the games (required for playing) and the monitor (required for viewing) at the same time.

I've been on a "games I either played or admired when I was younger" kick lately, for some reason. I've been actually playing the Penumbra trilogy (not bad, although the graphics look like they're straight out of Doom compared to today's fare), I was replaying Half Life 2 (+ Episodes, such as they exist), I reran through Iji, Cave Story has been looking more and more enticing...I might go back and grab Spelunky (along with a host of old Game Maker games I used to play) and just dedicate a few afternoons to going back through them. Nostalgia is fun, guys!
[Image: zjQ0y.gif][Image: vcGGy.gif]
A person I know on the Internet was selling a bundle of five Ps1 games for 5 bucks so on the way I have Pong: the Next Level(which is the best pong game) and some other games that also are coming with it.

(40 Winks, Crusaders of Might and Magic, Irritating Stick, Die Hard Trilogy)
(04-06-2013, 07:19 AM)cyber95 Wrote: »on the way I have Pong: the Next Level(which is the best pong game) and some other games that also are coming with it.

that game was fucking rad but I was so bad at it