[IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight

[IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight
RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight
Casey and Dorian

Casey can't help laughing at Dorian's response, waving a hand as if to dismiss his concern.

[Image: casey_novice_smile.png]

"I'm not here to grill you, mate. I just wanted to talk about your resistance, if that's alright. You and Adara seem to know each other well, so I wondered if you've been in the resistance together for a while?"

[Image: character_novice.png]

"I have to say, the notion of a land without nobility is....interesting, to say the least."
Sunny and Casey

[Image: 1YHEHWt.png]

"Very unpleasant indeed," Sunny remarks, "It is very unfortunate that our group was forced to come to my aid like that," She sighs, pausing for a second. "I dislike worrying the group like that. Progress will aid me, but I am still vexed that I put our group into such a situation."

[Image: x8mrAKp.png]

"If you would be fine with it, perhaps we could work on some sort of battle strategy? It could prevent more missteps on my end, and allow me to assist you, should you need it."

Sunny and Roland

[Image: tmShrTw.png]

"Ah, you heard about my little spill. It's rather embarrassing, if we're being honest. I'll do my best to keep a better mind on my surroundings next time. And you needn't worry about my well being. I've spent some time since our arrival simply collecting myself. I shall be ready to march whenever you wish it."

[Image: twesNZy.png]

Roland's words about her 'courage' cause Sunny to cock her brow, her mind evidently taking an extended moment to process. She then lets out a laugh.

"Well, it was not as grand a revelation as you might think. It was really rather simple." She pauses for a moment, then continues, "I am filled with conviction, your highness. It is really quite as simple as that. Perhaps I was walking into the jaws of my supposed enemies, but it was better than staying where my beliefs and understanding of life were blasphemed."
And so the two healers desperately try to make each other comfortable. Mutual ease being attempted, and potentially failed. Mazelina smiles, though Lys's enthusiasm here might make the following question- and her clear confusion- worse.

[Image: 609122be2c04697b63a949860609006cb6ede7a9.png]
"Wonderful. Ah. I am wondering if something about me troubles you? Or if I am, perhaps, being rude somehow?" Her brows upturn, and a chuckle makes its way out of her lips as she raises her hands in an attempt at placation, though no anger is present. Perhaps anger would be easier to deal with. "I want to make sure there's not some horrendous faux pas I'm participating in, or upsetting you somehow, so do speak freely."
Airitech to Lucrezia

"Well."

"Hm."

"W--"

He pauses.

"So, yeh. I dinnae how ye found out, but yes. I DID help the Revotrians conquer Ossory. And yes, it was a bad thing. I regret it and lost many sleepless nights over it. However, in me doggish o-pin-ee-on, that black mark does not make me irredeemable in the eyes of the Goddess."
Lain

Barnabas stared. He wasn't totally sure she did, but... He didn't know anything about her really either honestly, so, that wasn't fair.

[Image: nMexSPx.png]

"I don't know if I can just distance myself from them like that. But... Perhaps I should be trying more to... think less of you all as temporary companions. That's not a fair judgement and actually, is most likely because in doing so I would feel like I am letting go of my own kin somewhat." He admitted softly. It hurt, to move on.

Airitech

Barnabas considered that. Forest sounded nice, dampness less so but livable with. And there were other Laguz there? Maybe, depending on what state his own home was in after all this. He gave a shy smile at the offer, briefly touching a hand on Airitech. "Thank you. That... Could be good, yes." His rough tone honoured at the invitation.
"Don't get me started on Henchmen."
Casey and Sunny

"Aye, a proper strategy is definitely a good idea. Truth be told it feels like I've just been fumbling around the battlefield up till now...." Casey's voice trails off as he rolls his thoughts around in his head. After a few moments of silence, he suddenly begins speaking again.

"I'm sorry if my concern was....upsetting for you. I've had to be rescued from my fair share of trouble back home, and I think I understand what you're feeling? If it isn't too bold to say so."

"In any case, I'm sure your rather get onto discussing strategy than listen to me prattle on. Goddess knows I could use the help out there."
Alexis

[Image: LgqK4Uf.png]

"Goals? Uh... To tell ye the truth, haven't had much time fer goals since runnin' from the Revotrians. They took over my family's ranch, and I've been runnin' ever since. 'Survive' isn't much of a goal, but... ye all seem like ye know what yer doin', so stickin' with this group and tryin' to help is the best I've got."
Milo freezes at Dermid's question.

[Image: Milo1.png]
"Like I said, I prefer not to look back on..."

He then stops speaking.  The pause is long and awkward, as he looks back and forth towards the ground, Dermid, and the walls.  He pulls up his cloak, almost protectively.  Finally he closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and speaks.

[Image: Milo_Hiding.png]
"Ah sod it.  I'm not going to lie, I... wasn't.  Trained by the League, that is.  You can guess the rest, I suppose, and why I try not to look back on it.  Hope that, somehow, I can make use of it, myself, for something better."
Baylee grinds her teeth and crosses her arms. “Well don’t you sound noble, talking about saving the little people then taking the piss and callin me village girl in the same breath! Wonder how you recruit anyone with that kind o pitch. And by the way even if ya steal from blue bloods, they still go and send the taxmen to the villages to make up fer losses.”
She stops scowling though. After she’s calmed down.
“I guess I’ll give ya the credit in being the only group I might respect if what yer saying is true though.”
Casey

Dorian chuckles.

[Image: VOoPAvA.png]

"Not stressed, I assure you friend. I've known Adara for... about a year, now? Since I've been in the Free Territory. Known Alex for longer. But aye, I can confirm -- the stories Adara tells are all true. No lord, no king, no knights demanding you polish their pauldrons. Free n' fair's all it is. It's... nice. Nicer than I would've believed if you told me before I'd been there."

Sunny

Roland thinks.

[Image: SCCQxLo.png]

"Call it what you like - Conviction, faith, bravery - it's the sort of virtue I'd expect from a knight more than a scholar. It's admirable wherever it appears though, I'd say. It's one I wish I could imitate with more grace."
[Image: VmdCAf4.png]
"...It was a shameful display I put on back there. Stuttering and tumbling over my words in front of the bandit my people have suffered under for so long... It's ill befitting someone who hopes to lead a land out from the dark. I... I fear I might not have the strength to be what my people need, Sunny. They need a savior, a man like my father. But instead, they have..."

He glances away, as if he's said too much already.
[Image: SCCQxLo.png]
"...Suffice it to say, I envy your virtue. Charging into battle, shaking off wounds, and showing bravery in the worst of times-- you've all the makings of a hero. I'm glad to be lucky enough to get the opportunity of learning by your example."

Airitech

Lucrezia laughs. It's hollow. Mirthless. It's a laugh befitting those stony eyes.

[Image: ZZGYz5q.png]

"I didn't find out. Not 'til you told me. All I knew was that you were an old sadsack with a chip on his shoulder. Could've been a deadbeat dad, for all I knew -- I just took the chance hoping that the chip would be relevant. And hey, turns out I was right. Let me tell you this quick, Turncoat: I'm not the Goddess. Forgiveness isn't in my job description. Neither is judgment, though. What you've done with your sad little life is your own business. But if some gold changes hands, and you get the idea that maybe you can train that crossbow on Prince Roland? I'll know. Keep that in mind."

Mazelina

You can tell Lys has ended up in an odd position, here. Her eyes go wide, then start zig-zagging about, as if she's trying to quickly recalculate her entire plan.
[Image: wlddtaz.png]
"W-What? No, of course not! I mean, I'm-- I'm the one who should be apologizing, honestly! I mean, I approach the goddess in such a-- A frivolous and unrighteous manner, I thought I was... um... probably offending you, ma'am? Am I not? Because-- Because, you're a woman of the cloth! Been to seminary and everything! I'm simply a... a failed Cloistered who the goddess forgot, and I wouldn't want to impose or upset you!"

Barnabas

Lain thinks on what you've said. She lets your words settle for a moment before she replies.
[Image: zMjNchQ.png]
"...I think you've a point there. But... I also know how difficult that can be. Odd as I'm sure it sounds, I find you much easier to talk to than most 'round here. Mostly because I don't feel like I have to... to apologize to you? For everything I've not done, for everything my people have. It's nice, honestly, to have someone who I can approach as an equal, rather than as... as a noble to a vassal, or a sinner against one they've wronged."

Logan

Alexis thinks this over for a moment before nodding.

[Image: knuaLZd.png]

"Survival... I think this is a worthy goal. A reasonable one. A simple goal is not so bad, I think. So long as it is a dream which can buoy your wings and keep you moving forward, I think it is one worth holding onto. Your family's ranch - it raised winged creatures, yes?"

Milo

Dermid is quiet for a long while. The silence is disrupted only by the clanking of his armor as he steps toward you.
[Image: 5wuzLcZ.png]
"...A grave sin ye've committed, lad. One I can hardly forgive."

Another heavy, deathly moment passes. He sighs.

"A man can't run from his past. Stops 'im from improvin' himself. All a man can do is take a step forward an' keep doin' it until the good outweighs the bad, and all his mistakes are but a distant memory. Never go denyin' yerself again, aye? Lettin' shame master ye is hardly somethin' befitting a true soldier, and I see the makings of one in ye."

Baylee

Adara gives an unenthused shrug.

[Image: fMXbbys.png]

"Being equals means being truly equal. I called you naive, dearest, and I meant it - not as an insult, but as a point of concern! I was once a naive little city girl, 'til the world demanded I wasn't anymore. I hoped to shake you from your dream. A lot less painful that way, I'd say. And let's be honest: do you think they'd not go and fabricate a story about a theft if they thought they could squeeze any more blood from your bones? I hardly think we're adding to the problem. Just making sure it gets to poor folk who even the villages don't care for."
[Image: a078853c10c8af81ed7398825416c7c0421d25a9.png]
"Oh," Mazelina begins, since this is clearly a textbook example of misinterpretation and miscommunication. "Goodness, no. I was an acolyte, still studying to find what it was that I was good at, or how best to communicate with the Goddess, let alone other people. For all intents and purposes, the church would've considered me a fledgling at best, not a fully realized woman of the cloth." A small smile curls her lips, and she fixes Lys with a gentle look. "Your methods of praise aren't frivolous. Would you like to talk about them with me?"
Lain

"Really?" Barnabas gave Lain a wide-eyed look, then, tilted his head slightly. He looked at the others, then back to Lain.

"This is to do with the nobility and everyone else. What Adara seemed to have an issue with. You have been put above others, and the only way to pay for that sin is to try do good with it? To be worthy of those that placed their destinies in your hands and to do right by those you've wronged just by your position?" He asked eventually, the words spoken slowly, each part open to be addressed and corrected. His attention was on Lain now, her own burden rather than his own issues now that she'd opened up her own feelings there, a part of him touched by it and curious too.
Airitech to Lucrezia

"What ye want me to train Prince Roland t'do the crossbow? Doesn't seem like his vibe."

--

Airitech to Barnabas

"Well, if we get to Ossory...well, just hit me up. Alrights?"
Milo grimaces.

You have no idea.

He pushes past his nerves and faces Dermid.

[Image: N34quH2.png]
"Yes, sir.  It's why I'm here.  Why I didn't just keep running, why I'm going to keep working.  I... appreciate the faith you and Lady Lain have put in me.  She is... also aware of my origins."  He lets out a sigh and pained smile.  "I... I've planned on telling the others since she found out, but you're still only the third, and maybe it was only because I think you might have already known something was up.  I'll still have to muster up some level of bravery I guess."

Milo stops talking, and looks for a moment as if he's done, but he grits his teeth and continues.

"This may be impertinent or maybe even offensive to ask, but I'm trying to make myself more useful to Lady Lain and Lord Roland, learn how to ride and use other weapons besides my lance.  I was going to ask Sir Abner, but, if it's possible, I think I could stand to learn a lot from you as well."
Casey and Dorian

"I almost can't believe it myself," Casey chuckles. "Still, I can't deny you lot are different from a lot of folks I've met out here. Most of these nobles and soldiers, they're all so tightly bound by their status and their pretenses, but not you lot. It's nice not having to tiptoe around all that pomp and circumstance. Refreshing, you might say?"

[Image: casey_pensive2.png]

"Reminds me of days gone by, I s'pose."

"But enough out of me! How about you, friend? How did you and Alex come to be mixed up in all of this? It sounds like the two of you were traveling together before you met anyone from the Free Territory."
[Image: a2f7fde224a6dd2dcec6d884f86bcf195847dfae.png]
"Hmph.. I guess I can see that I'm more than my fair share of naive. Even if ya were an ass 'bout it." She adds the last part with a smirk. "I know people are capable of manipulation but i never really do know the extent of it. I guess I'll say I coulda handled the fist meeting better than I could have. If your band is doin its best for the little people, I guess I can't be that pissy with y'all." She gives a shrug and looks away, like it hurt her pride to admit it.
Saya scratches their chin in thought at Abner's question.

[Image: f3e2387c872f7290577e2aa85803e3b2.png]

"Well, I guess I was expecting a warmer welcome. Or perhaps a more hostile one, I dunno. My ancestors left the Kingdoms for a good reason, and I thought that maybe the Kingdom Laguz would be somehow... different. Either this great place or a really terrible one. But they're just, well, people? Focused on their own problems and troubles, don't even care about the descendants of their exiles."

They laugh nervously.

[Image: f3e2387c872f7290577e2aa85803e3b2.png]

"And why should they? It's not like any of us have ever bothered them in a long time."
Current Projects:
Human space is at war, and we're all caught up in it - Scattered Stars

A woman chases another through the snow, but where will their path lead them? - Footprints in the snow
Mazelina

[Image: wlddtaz.png]

"O-Oh! But you don't understand-- even then, you're more accomplished than me. But, um, as for my worship-- I make up little rhymes, and chants, and sometimes try to hear if she chants back. I thought I could, sometimes, but then I'd always remember howshe doesn't actually do that, and how it was probably just me talking to myself. Really, I think that you're probably better at knowing how to worship than me, even if I spent more time in churches than you!"

Barnabas

Lain nods.

[Image: eSKC4CG.png]

"Yes. If you don't mind my saying, you speak in a forthright and earnest manner. I find it quite easy to ask your advice. As for your questions... Yes. I think you've the grasp of it. Even trying to acknowledge that such a divide exists seems to breed hurt. I... I tried to speak with Casey, to understand his feelings, to apologize for the suffering caused by my father's failure to fix things, and... it only seemed to make things worse. I tried to understand, to hear him, to bridge this gap, and it only drove the wedge deeper. I... I want to cross it, somehow-- or at least to show I want to-- but it feels as if I am simply opening up wounds others would rather leave shut. I'm sorry for laying this at your doorstep so readily, I know it's irresponsible-- I mean, do your people have such social barriers?"

Airitech

She blinks.

[Image: 9b6oM9M.png]

"...No. Train it ON him. As in, aim it at him. I'm saying if you ever decide to turn on us, I'll know before you get a chance, and it'll be curtains for you."

Milo

Dermid strokes his beard. He thinks it over a moment.

"Been a bit since I had m'self a personal student. It could be done -- and you'd be better off learnin' from someone who's not green as the spring grass. Aye, I think I can do it fer ye lad. But first you'll be needin' to swear a knight's oath. Only way it can be done. You come to me with an oath, and I'll give you the best training any old bastard on the continent can give."

Casey

Dorian's expression changes quite quickly. Gone is the cheery smile, replaced by a sort of distant look.

[Image: VOoPAvA.png]

"...Mmm. I don't think they'd like my telling of it. Better a story to come from their lips."

He smiles once more, his breezy attitude returning quickly as it left.

"Suffice to say, I was the lowest of the low before our travels together started. I owe a lot to Adara, and even more to Alex. If it weren't for them, I'd have died never having a chance at doing anything worth doing. I'm a better man for their presence in my life."

His head tilts.

"Days gone by, though? You'll have to tell me more about that, sometime, provided you aren't too peeved by my denying you a good story of my own."

Baylee

Adara's eternal smile widens just a bit.

[Image: fMXbbys.png]

"Listen, call me an ass if you want, but I'll never stop shootin' straight. The world's a big place, and if we're going to change it, we don't have time for pleasantries. That's my approach. No reason to go blaming yourself, though. Plenty of folk fall for the shit bluebloods go off on. Live and learn, that's all you can do."

Saya

Abner raises his lance aloft at that.

[Image: 6pxYp3c.png]

"Oho! But they will know our names! I feel the stars calling to us, Saya! You and I shall be companions at arms from here on, and if that's to be the case, it simply won't do, you just accepting that people don't know who you are! It would be unsightly for my shadow to grow so long over yours! Announce your name at every meeting! Let them feel ashamed for not knowing of your heroic deeds! By celebrating in advance the greatness which undoubtedly awaits us, we guarantee that greatness will soon follow! You see what I mean?"
Casey and Dorian

Casey's expression softens somewhat, as it's obvious he's once again hit upon sensitive territory.

"I'm not bothered," he replies, "We've only just met, aye? We can save the long stories for later, I was just reminded of an old friend, that's all."

[Image: casey_pensive2.png]

"It's been years since we last spoke, though. I can't help but wonder if he's gotten mixed up in this mess too...." As his mind begins to wander, Casey's voice trails off.
Immediately, Maz shakes her head. She's trying to be gentle, and the smile stays on her face as she does so, but this is important. Comparisons like this lead to rigidity and exclusions, something she's beginning to see the direct damages of, admittedly.

[Image: a078853c10c8af81ed7398825416c7c0421d25a9.png]

"Honestly, who is to say it wasn't Her? I've never heard Her, but perhaps She did speak to you, or at the very least help you interpret yourself as something from Her. I don't know that I'm better. Really, it doesn't sound too different. I talk to her, I gently wish for things, I make things from time to time, and during certain soft moments I try to dedicate them to her."

After a moment's pause, Mazelina adds,
"Could we try together? A chant?"
Barnabas and Airitech

"I'll do that, thank you." He gave Airitech a smile, but then scrunched it up a bit, as if suddenly revealing it rather than being polite, and chuckled. "Gods, by the way, you are aware of your um... Musks, right?"

Barnabas and Lain

"Hhhhuurrmm..." He gave an unhappy sound as he considered it, trying to be fair about this question. "A little. Maybe. But it's considered an important lesson. I got this from an elder-" He said, gesturing to the scars over the left side of his face, the eye squinting out from behind them slightly. "-because I was a bit too loudly proud about my clans duties to the point of insulting the responsibilities of the tribe's values we were discussing with, and their enforcer challenged me to a friendly duel. My parents told me to be glad I hadn't lost an eye for it. It's not the same as your issue, but, there are those that have respect and power with it and those that don't. I get it, but I'm never going to share drinks with that man. Despite that he was fulfilling his duties of defending his tribe's honour. There are important benefits to the existence of leaders, figureheads, people know where to lay the blame, more rapid decisions. And also everyone can look to you and blame just you for the ills of their lives, even if things would be worse if everyone had had a say in things. You are a noble, yes, which means you are a leader." This was said, partly to show this was his understanding of the matter, a noble was like an elder, above others.

He shrugged slightly. "We burn our leaders either way when they're gone, for the sins of their duties." Barnabas put out a hand idly, a slight snarled smile at the explanation of his culture. "On one side, it is to honour their accomplishments, to recognise that this is one that took on the task of shaping our history." He raised his other hand. "On the other, it is to help them return to nature swiftly, to pass on so they don't suffer the weight of their memories and the cost of their actions anymore." The smile grew a bit more as he lowered his hands again. "And it's also because sometimes, they had it coming. To be a leader is a cruel task Lain, I don't envy you for those that follow you, and I'll be do what I can to ease that if you need it."
Milo gapes at Dermid in surprise, but then nods.

[Image: N34quH2.png]
"I understand, Sir Dermid, but... what makes it a knights oath? Is it a personal thing or is it the same one you made?"
Baylee smiles and puts her axe on her shoulder in a relaxed way.
[Image: a2f7fde224a6dd2dcec6d884f86bcf195847dfae.png]
"I can actually really respect those kind'a values, if I'm being honest. I'm also the kinda type to be blunt about things, as ya already found out." She pauses and rubs her chin. "I hope you don't mind if I come around more often to get your take on the way things are playing out. 'Specially now, Yer trying to help these groups right now to help stop the war, right?"
Airitech to Lucrezia

"Well, alrights then. I guess it be fair, rational even, to be a-wary of me. I suppose I shoulds ask. Am I the only erm, suspect on 'trainin'' on the Prince's life. Just askin' and ye don't need to feel to answerin's. I just would feel verys awkward if I was the only one."

--

Barnabas and Airitech

Airitech looks a little self-conscious!!!

"Oh, ye do noticed that...well. Yeah, I know. I stinks like a dog, but I swear--I am HYGIENIC, perhaps even more so than the average Ossorian. Take baths when I can. Preferably daily, but it's not like woter is plenty when we be on the runs. Sorry!"
[Image: LgqK4Uf.png]

"Er- aye. It did. Still does, I think? But. The Republic seized it, so I'm not really... sure of the situation now. I just ran. Couldn't really tell ye more. Still hopin' they're okay, but... might need ta be realistic about it."