We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
Hey guys, remember Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

There's gonna be a Director's Cut for the Wii U.

And now the boss battles don't suck any more.
Ghost trick was a ghost the entire time

Aside from the fact that probably everyone already knows about it, how has Torment: Tides of Numenera gone as-yet unmentioned? It's hideously ambitious but exactly the sort of thing I'd expect (several of) you dudes to enjoy (if it ever actually comes out). It has famous writer people I've never heard of and like the entire lead dev team from the first Torment, or something, look, they explain it better'n I could.

I'll call the idea as it's being sold Deus Ex On Crack: The Isometric RPG and leave it at that.
Oh wow, I knew about a new Torment game but not that it was using the Numenera setting. I'm a little dubious about Monte Cook since he was behind a lot of 3.5 edition silliness, but despite my scrunched nose about him, I can't hide my glee to see a non-DnD planescape installment of Torment.

So I'll watch carefully with my enthusiasm pridefully hidden.
Yes I love Ghost Trick and I love how everyone loves Ghost Trick because it totally deserves everyones love.
I half want a sequel to it because it was super mega ace and half don't because If they fucked it up it would break my heart.
(03-22-2013, 06:14 AM)Not The Author Wrote: »Ghost trick was a ghost the entire time

Aside from the fact that probably everyone already knows about it, how has Torment: Tides of Numenera gone as-yet unmentioned? It's hideously ambitious but exactly the sort of thing I'd expect (several of) you dudes to enjoy (if it ever actually comes out). It has famous writer people I've never heard of and like the entire lead dev team from the first Torment, or something, look, they explain it better'n I could.

I'll call the idea as it's being sold Deus Ex On Crack: The Isometric RPG and leave it at that.
I'm probably the only person who would've preferred to see them create something wholly unique rather than make any sort of sequel for PS:T.

'cause I like to see new things, rather than people trying to relive the glory of thirteen years ago.
I dont know that game but I agree with the sentiment.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
I think the idea is that it's just a spiritual successor to the Planescape game, and would in many ways be entirely new? At least, that's the impression I got.

(03-22-2013, 06:27 AM)GenTrigger Wrote: »Oh wow, I knew about a new Torment game but not that it was using the Numenera setting. I'm a little dubious about Monte Cook since he was behind a lot of 3.5 edition silliness, but despite my scrunched nose about him, I can't hide my glee to see a non-DnD planescape installment of Torment.

So I'll watch carefully with my enthusiasm pridefully hidden.

I went and backed Numenera, because it looked like he was trying some story-focused move-away-from-D&D innovative stuff with it, and I'm curious to see how that turns out. Particularly through the filter of all the Forge indie RPG design theory stuff I've been steeping myself in lately. On the one hand, can an industry giant like Monte Cook shake off the tired old assumptions of mainstream RPG design and create something that lives up to the elegance and insight of some of those indie games I've been reading? Or will he fall into the same old traps? On the other hand, it's good to read the RPG design ideas and philosophies of someone who ISN'T Vincent Baker every once in a while, y'know? Monte Cook's an old hand at this, and I'm sure there's more to him than D&D 3.5. Must be something to learn from him.
That and the setting concept is awesome. Even if the system sucks, I can always harvest the setting for an Apocalypse World hack or something.
Anyway, I liked some of his ideas when I read his design blog, and was not so sure about others. But it actually seemed a far cry from D&D 3.5 in many ways.

This is pretty much not on topic. So, more relevantly, the Torment game: I have high hopes for it, though I only know Planescape by reputation. If nothing else, the setting is quite excellent from what I've seen.
I'd agree that reliving the glory of thirteen years ago is dumb, but I've backed too many adventure games by old Sierra folks to say that and not be a hypocrite, so I guess I don't agree. But I still know what you mean.
DUCK TALES HD

THIS IS NOT A DRILL
WHO'S THE BASTARD THAT PUT THE LYRICS IN THE ANNOUNCEMENT VIDEO
So wait, is it just a remake and not a sequel? That's a little dumb.
(03-19-2013, 11:18 PM)Ed Wrote: »DEATH TO ALL REMAKES. Seriously, why would you want to play the same thing again but slightly better? Why not make a new, similar but improved game?

The answer: Quick cash moneys.
When they first announced it I was hoping they were gonna be doing all new levels and stuff, if at the very least because I know the discrepancies between the original and the remake are gonna bother me unreasonably and a clean break would fix that. Plus the usual "I can already replay the original and it'll probably have better moon music because no remix has ever been better than the original there."

Also when I first saw a screenshot it looked like a Paper Mario thing and that got me really excited. Paper Duck Comics!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that it looked like paper mario
It does! It's got a kinda cute art style and Jake Kaufman is in charge of the music. Makes me wish they were doing something better with it.
in my experience, wayforward is basically "this is cool but I wish you had done XYZ with it", The Company

mainly "this is cool but it feels hella short and underdeveloped"
I just bought half my wishlist on Steam. Stupid sale! My unplayed games list was bad enough already!
I am now the proud owner of Gish. I think I originally played the demo of that about ten years ago. I've been meaning to buy it ever since.
I've also just played (and beaten) Thirty Flights of Loving. It goes firmly in the "Less of a game, more of an experience" category.

Bigro, I have to admit, I don't see the appeal. Sure, it looks pretty, but gameplay looks like if you took all the interesting bits out of Dwarf Fortress, Age of Empires and SimCity and stuck what was left in an old-timey frontier setting. I can't say it grabs me.
What I do dig is, apparently sustainability is a game theme? And the website says he coded it all by himself! Engine from scratch in C++! That's tough, speaking from personal experience, and mine doesn't hold a candle to his. And he did all the graphics and audio and everything!
Well, TotalBiscuit has PAX footage of Transistor gameplay up.
Strategy elements? Oh my hnnnng
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Remember when every single 3D game had a camera that would screw you over?
SpoilerShow

Well, I do.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
If I’m not mistaken, most games nowadays employ a number of tricks that make camera easier than back in the day.

One of them is definitely right analog stick = camera. (The textbook we are using in Intro to Game Design still says to use L and R buttons, just one more reason our class has devolved into “point and laugh at the author”).

Another one is that now most games will know what you meant between controls relative to the camera, or controls relative to where the camera was when you started moving (which would definitely fix the classic example above, but introduces its own guessing-game problems). Probably each individual developer has their own secret sauce for this.

For example, Assassin’s Creed sandbox parts are very intuitive to navigate, though once every few hours you just can’t get the camera to do what you want for whatever reason, or just turn some direction you weren’t expecting. Frustrating as it is, that’s infrequent enough to call it pretty good.

As for the linear dungeon parts... wow, I have died in so many spots where the camera just moves on you. Like right here amggggrh. It might not look so bad from the video, but that whole sequence is full of unexpected camera changes that make you so unsure whether your controls have been turned several degrees or not, most of which could have been remedied by better cinematography. Sadly, every single one of those forced camera changes seem intended to help you see the right way to go.

Sonic Adventure is a game full of camera angle switchups, a cause of many reviewer complaints. Which is probably why Mr. Know-It-All is parked right outside of Emerald Coast saying, “Oh, and don't worry if the view suddenly changes. It does that sometimes. Just keep moving in the direction you want. It may take a little time to get used to it, so keep trying.” If they had clarified what “keep moving” and “keep trying” exactly meant, it probably would have cleared things up for me back in the day; to “keep” pressing an input could mean hold it or it could mean mash it. I couldn’t figure it out last time I started the game up (I was more interested in checking the translation), but the same text could easily describe AC where the solution is usually to bring the stick to neutral for a split second so that the directions get set to the current view.
Oh my gosh, Billy Hatcher has really nice visuals! I don't think I've ever actually watched the game in action before.
Apparently they made a PC and Mac port but only released it in Europe? That's uncommon. I wonder what the story is there.

e: ok, i looked around and apparently it's not that good of a port anyway
On Game Design Education and Associated Bullshit
SpoilerShow
(03-25-2013, 04:49 AM)Not The Author Wrote: »-snip-
We could always use more jaded ex-BFA’s in ACS, y’know Winky

Settle Down; You Got The Wrong Guy
SpoilerShow
tl;dr: this book is more like an elaborate glossary than a guide

Also also, game design, like other fields of design, can be described as being uncomfortably stuck between “an art” and “a science”. The science can be taught. In games, miraculously, some of it even is, though in the grand scheme of things we’re probably more stuck on, say, the (metaphorical) nuts and bolts than on assembling (metaphorical) working machines. I think designers get just teensy bits better at that each year. The art, on the other hand... well, that’s where you get off into that unresolvable debate that every art has, as to whether you can even teach it or if it comes from some innate miracle-spark or years of plugging at it with plenty of self-introspection or whatever.

I can safely say I kind of suck at designing games at present.
People who are in game design courses or who had them, how much of what was taught was actually about the fundamentals of game design and how much is detail stuff? The person I know who understands how video games work and should work best comes from a background of amateur board game design, and I'm wondering if that is actually better at preparing designers than all the coursework is.