REFUGEVILLE

REFUGEVILLE
RE: REFUGEVILLE
Characoal is obtained by slow burning wood to get water out and I don't remember any mention of there being mined coal in this adventure yet (maybe I forgot tho ? Come to think of it that's really somethng you would have epected to find in the forge near the god box, I guess it must have been taken long ago but by who ?) so the problem of it consuming our stockpile of wood still inderectly remains.

Kori people are subtarenean so maybe she know someone who could sell us coal in the future.
If only there was some sort of fire god we could appeal to
(03-04-2018, 03:29 PM)smuchmuch Wrote: »>Fungal pack. The rest we can easily eventualy make or buy on our own. More self resplenible food sources are alway good idea long term, especialy since we're giving fodcto the Prejay as well now.

Your people tell Wally to return with a Fungal Pack. He happily runs off, somehow without making any noise.

Quote:>We should also smoke (and if we can salt) some of the fishes and rabbit meat for long term conservation

Your people do so immediately. 10 hunks of rabbit meat are turned into rabbit jerky, and 10 fish are dried.

Quote:>Can one of our villager read and write ? Because if so we should have them start maps and jurnals or monsters and things encountered so far.

The Scrivener comes to take her place. She takes a branch and carves into it, writing as much as she can. The writing spirals around the branch, and your people dub this innovation a ‘lore-stick’.

[Image: eGSSuEn.jpg]

She continues carving into more branches, for as long as she is able to stay awake. You hope there will be many, many more lore-sticks in the future.

(6 branches spent)

Quote:>I do wonder, does the Zalujis have guardian spirits ? Or for that matter, the Prejays ? We didn't feel any such resence when our people where at their village but ho know how it work ?)

The Rite to create a Guardian Ghost demands that a person who has lived for 100 years to starve themselves for a day, then go and travel outside alone in the middle of the night. As the sacrifice walked or crawled, they must focus on an adversary, one they wish to protect their people from. The gods themselves revealed this Rite, the Guardian’s Journey, but it is unknown to you if anyone else ever actually performed it.

You remember performing the Rite. It was pure agony, walking in that rainstorm on your fragile legs, but now you are certain it was worth it. You lived for a whole century, and you saw the Signet coming to destroy your people and their heritage. You weren’t sure if it would actually work, but when you died, you remember hearing the words:

“Only when the Signet die or admit defeat will you be born again in the Realm of the Gods.”

You don’t know who said it, but it must be true. You’re here now, in the form of an invisible ghost watching over the Verezan people. You can sense other ghosts, but you didn’t feel anything when you visited the Preeray. Nobody in their tribe managed to live to a hundred when the Signet attacked them, it seems.

The Zalugi COULD have a Guardian Ghost of their own, but that remains to be seen. If they do have one, you hope you could converse with them, from one spirit to another.

A new day arrives. Another beautiful day out of the slave pits.

You have a visitor from the Preeray village. He says his name is Emtiga, and he’ll come by every day for the deal. He picks up the amount of food both of your tribes agreed upon.

[Image: zYZDdjf.jpg]

(You lose 5 hunks of dried fish meat)

Before he leaves, your people ask him if he knows about the Zalugi. He replies:

“Zalugi? You can trust them, they helped us escape the Signet back when we were in the same slave camps. Very short people with very big heads! Their skins are as dark as your tribe’s, but their teeth are much sharper. I remember they wouldn’t eat anything uncooked, even fruits. They love Arara and were absolutely enraged when Arara lost his mind. I suppose that’s why they hate the Signet so much more than other tribes.”

With cargo in tow, Emtiga leaves for Preeray. From the sounds of it, the Zalugi would make very good allies for your people.

Soon, Wally the Pearl Lobster arrives and makes good on his promise. The Fungal Pack also comes with a piece of paper, a News Note from the Zalugi:

Quote:DERMILYU DOOMED IN DENIAL
The Dermilyu Kingdom made another sad attempt at reclaiming their lost glory. They sent a lone warrior to Padabon, and we drove him off with our catapults. Despite being reduced to only 20 people, they are still hunting for slaves and attacking settlements. The last of their royals, King Vondar, refuses our calls for an alliance. It seems they are determined to obey their arrogant ways until extinction.

WELCOME NEW FRIENDS
The Verezan people have a settlement called Refugeville, located along the same river as Padabon to the west. We rejoice at finding new allies against our mad oppressors, the terrible Signet.

SIGNET MONSTER SIGHTING
We have reports that the Signet have created an extremely long serpent, hereby called ‘Setera’, that can burrow under sand and soil. The Setera is large enough to swallow an entire cottage. Beware when travelling, watch out for signs of tremors or moving soil. Our scholars are hard at work trying to confirm which weapons work best against it.

MAY ARARA BE RESTORED!

Quite informative. Wally tells your people the News Notes aren’t made daily, just whenever anything noteworthy comes up.

Your people open up the Care Package filled with fungal spores, and waste no time planting them in the basement.

Wally informs the village that he will return later in the afternoon just before sunset, and then they can decide which Care Package to ask for.

Wally leaves. Kori hasn’t returned yet, so your people decide to plan for the next expedition, while the rest of the village works on expanding the basement, gathering food and making tools.

Where should they send explorers today? And what items should they bring?

TO THE SOUTH:

Big Skull:
This enormous skull with three eye sockets seems to move when nobody’s looking. Sometimes it’s half-buried in the sand. Sometimes it’s floating just a few inches above it. Sometimes it’s upside down. Sometimes, it sings.

Tower?:
A very tall metal object, perfectly cylindrical in shape. It has no entrance. There is no crater, no sign of any construction work, as if it just appeared here. At night, it glows and the light blinks.

The Twins:
A silent, gigantic killer. It has no eyes, but making noise near it is dangerous. If it wakes up, it will smell for flesh. Its body looks as if it’s made of snot. Fortunately, it never moves far from its nest. It is called ‘The Twins’ due to its two heads, but the head in the rear is false.

Hole:
A large hole that smells of flowers. It’s so deep that if you dropped a torch into it, you would stop seeing the light before any sound is heard.

Loud Graveyard:
An unpleasant noise perpetually emanates from the graves here. It sounds like a chorus of angry children. The gravestones themselves all bear valuable gems, but touching a gem results in the noise becoming so loud your head would burst.

TO THE NORTH:

God Box:
Situated in a town covered by moss, now taken over by the Dermilyu Kingdom. Very dangerous.

Chicken Blood Pond:
A pond filled with dead chickens. There might be something submerged in the pond.

Skull Pile:
A pile of skulls, of unknown origin. Could be something useful in the pile.

TO THE WEST:

Aniro Village:
According to the Preeray, there are only three people living here, but they are all consumed by madness and hostile. The village is far larger than it should, with many decrepit houses and shops.

Explore the EAST:

Not much is known about what’s in the east, aside from the existence of the Brain Box.

>_

Population: 12 out of 24 shelter spaces

Allies:
Preeray Village - Gains Guarded Thoughts blessing for Refugeville, traded for 5 hunks of food daily
Padabon Village - Sends daily Care Packages

Wealth: 1 crumbit

Animals:
1 Dog (Relief)
2 Cows (Bilin, Daina)
1 Horse (Comet)

Agriculture:
12 tapioca (growing, 17 days left)
10 mangould (growing, 13 days left)
20 underground mushrooms (growing, 10 days left)

Weapons:
Iron Knife x 1 (4 crumbits)
Stone Axe x 5 (2 crumbits)
Stone Shovel x 1 (2 crumbits)
Steel Hooked Chains x 2 (Equipped by Guards, 8 crumbits each)

Vehicles:
Crude Wooden Raft (Kori won’t buy it)

Guards:
Two Chain-Hook Users

Merchants:
Kori (Miscellaneous Goods) - Still not back at Refugeville
Ogot (Building Materials)

Stockpile:
284 branches (1 crumbit for 4 branches)
5 beef jerky (5 crumbits each)
8 rabbit meat (2 crumbits each)
10 rabbit jerky (3 crumbits each)
20 fish meat (2 crumbits each)
5 dried fish filet (3 crumbits each)
6 jar of milk (4 crumbits each)
5 loincloths (1 crumbit each)
30 pieces of clay (2 crumbits each)
188 stones

Buildings:
1 stone house (with basement)
1 shrine
1 palisade
1 fishpond
1 rabbit hutch

Items:
2 Steel Hammers
Leather Bag
4 Treated Bandages
Construction Manual
Yaranga Phrasebook
2 Steel Pliers
2 Boxes of matches
1 Steel Chain

Fishblood Lantern - A lantern that uses fish blood as fuel. Provides light and warmth. One adult fish from the river should be enough for one night. Easy to carry, even for a dog or a wolf.

Copy of Hildevert’s Journal: Hate Box - The Signet have been hunting a man named Hildevert for the past month, and he continues to elude capture. This book is about what he saw in a place called the Hate Box, a place where powerful prisoners are tortured for amusement.

Mycah Wizard Robe - Doesn’t grant magical powers, but Mycah spells are woven into it that protect the wearer from undeath. The spells repel teeth and rotten meat, so it’s perfect for fighting ghouls.

Acid Jar - A jar full of liquid that will melt anything metal. Extremely useful against armored opponents and locks.

Divine Artifacts:

Shrunken Head of Asimuth - Screams when an agent of the Signet sees Refugeville.

Blessings:

Devoted Wolfpack: Rimewulf’s followers can transform into wolves at night, granting faster movement, enhanced senses and combat strength.

Call of the Wild: Once per day, you may summon one animal to appear in the village. The animal will always obey your people and never harm them.

Arara’s Shade: Your people can endure heat that would normally cause heatstrokes. A common blessing for desert-dwellers and those who wish to endure drought.

Guarded Thoughts: Your people are protected from mind-altering poisons and curses. They cannot be brainwashed or mind controlled, not even by the Signet.

Curses:

Marked By The Signet: The Signet will never stop sending scouts.
finding a way to fish out whatever's in the chicken pond might be worthwhile. but for now i think exploring the east is ok.
[Image: Iv0bTLS.png]
I concur with exploring the east. After all, Wally comes from that side of the river (I guess) and meeting with the Padabon would be great. Perhaps, we'll even meet a fellow spirit against the Signet.
Aye, I agree with heading east as well. We know very little about anything in that direction, and it'd be a good idea to scope things out, especially if we can meet more potential allies along the way.
I'd like to,explore West actualy, in the dirretion of the Plant Box (.. I'm ...worried about the brain box to be honest.), but East's good too.

Just exploation tho, no interations yet.

Actualy if we have one very brave and very sneaky explorer, I'd like to see f they could check on the twins and what might be the remain of the giantess. No crazy risks, just a look will do if is allt hey can do. And while they're at it, stay a moment near the skull and see if thre's anything to be heard in it's ocisional babbling and chanting.

The god box village to the North being dirrectly taken by potential invaders will be a concern. sooner or laer they will send expedition futher South and find the river. From there it's only a matter of time till they find refugeville..

We should keep an eye on any potential thing that to drive them away from the god box village in the future.

(While expanding the basement furtherour people whould keep some walla and some pillars of eatrh, we want to keep the ground above firm)
>Begin construction on the Blacksmith's workshop nextdoor to the house
>Create one table and one chair for the above
>Create two torches for the basement.
>Create as much basement flooring to make it comfortable and keep the mushroom patch separated.

>Summon a rooster to match our hen

>Sell 80 branches for 20 crumbits.
Mm. I feel we should belay the workshop creation until we can manage to keep a more steady supply of iron going. Though, I will agree with making torches for the basement, creating some flooring for it, and summoning a rooster to go with our hen. Those definitely sound like solid ideas. Maybe start making more rabbit jerky and dried fish, while we're at it? Best to make sure we have a steady supply of well-preserved food, after all.
(03-20-2018, 02:51 PM)Wessolf27 Wrote: »I concur with exploring the east. After all, Wally comes from that side of the river (I guess) and meeting with the Padabon would be great. Perhaps, we'll even meet a fellow spirit against the Signet.

Two explorers, whom you now recognize as Mahfo and Nguda, scout the land east of Refugeville. They bring water with them, an iron knife, a stone axe and a Mycah robe (worn by Mahfo). They both ride on Comet, your tribe’s loyal horse.

After spending a couple of hours in the sun, here is what they found:

[Image: 4Chj9as.jpg]

- Brain Box: An enormous box covered in wax, it looks as if it’s constantly melting. There’s an entrance, and it reeks of rotten oranges. Luckily, there doesn’t seem to be anything guarding or patrolling it.

- Dermilian Corpse: A dead Dermilian, completely naked. The body was originally blue, but has turned green from decomposition. It is covered in numerous burns. There is a sack nearby and a piece of paper.

- Looted Signet Laboratory: What was once a building meant for horrific experiments has been left abandoned and stripped away by scavengers. The writing on the enormous sign outside says “Danger: Machine Research” (along with insulting graffiti from angry visitors), though it looks like all the machines are long gone. Could still have something useful within.

- Walking Skin: It looks like empty human skin, walking around in the desert. It’s as if someone’s skin has been removed and it was given life. Your explorers are unnerved to see it sweat.

- Signet Circle-to-be: A stone slab with an unfinished Signet Circle. Worshippers of the Signet sometimes draw strange symbols contained within a perfect circle drawn in chalk. It is believed that any offering placed inside the circle is transformed into some kind of monster. There is a book, a dagger and a rotten brain of some kind lying next to it.

- Bridge To Nowhere: This bridge makes no sense. There is no river, no chasm that would warrant the construction of this bridge. It’s just sitting there in the sand. The bridge itself has numerous corpses of indeterminate origin, as well as several broken crates.

- Chanting Forest: There is a chorus of voices slowly chanting praises to the Signet coming from this forest.

SIGNET IS THE ONLY WAY
SIGNET IS THE HOLY WAY

Not only that, the trees within it seem to be moving. Your explorers are wary of it and would very much not like to enter it.

Padabon seems to be really far away. There’s no sign of it on the horizon at all. This land to the east of your village seems especially dangerous, as the Signet’s influence dominates the landscape.

Where should Mahfo and Nguda visit first?

Mahfo: Wearing Mycah Wizard Robe, Armed with Stone Axe.
Nguda: Armed with Iron Knife.
Comet: Horse. Completely loyal.

>_
SpoilerShow
Mm.
Forest sounds interesting, but likely has nothing for us enemies of the signet.

Would love to fiddle with the signet circle, but I fail to see it ending well or netting us any allies in the future.

Inclined to investigate the bridge to nowhere, as the crates suggest the presence of something we may be able to salvage. Heck, might find a usable container.

But, ultimately I would advise investigating the walking skin first. I suspect something might happen if offered water, though what exactly I couldn't say.

No opinion on the other three.
Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.
I guess it's either the corpse, the bridge, or the walking skin. I'd rather avoid anything that has obvious ties with Signet, especially if they'll resonate with our explorers' marks and alert them.

Hrmmm... actually, if we're particularly adventurous, it might be a good idea to consider going to the Brain Box to find some sort of offering to either Arara or Holkaborg. For the former, it might help restore his mind, for the latter, it's always good to have some way of countering things that we might not have a means to take on through normal means.
...You know, given the nearby unfinished Signet Circle and the forest that's apparently in the shape of a face that's full of Signet worshipers... Maybe we should tell people about those so we can find a way of dealing with it. Because I doubt anything good is gonna come of it. Regardless, whatever we do, I think we should check the dead Dermilian first. Preferably starting with the note, then the bag. Either that, or the lab. Even if it's already been picked at, I wouldn't be surprised if someone overlooked a few stray bits and pieces.
take the book and dagger from the signet circle-to-be
Once in the art of domination adventure, there was an isolated sign in the middle of a snow field. The sign said 'If you can read this, you aren't supposed to be here, so there's a mine field around this sign"...
I'll admit I'm sort of getting the same vibes from about half the objects here.

One interesting thing tho, way back Kori said
Quote:- Brain Box: East. Aello tells your people there is a very large tent that smells of rotten eggs on the way there. The Brain Box itself is a gigantic brain-looking thing made of steel.

This is quite different of what we're seeing. And no trae of that tent. Id o wonder if Kori info was wrong then or things just changed in the meantime.

>Wlly also failed to mention any of those, which is weird given how close the factory and forest are from the river but then again we didn't ask directly and he likely keep mostly underwater for safety reasons so...

--------------------------------

>Okay first thing first, do NOT step on the signet circle or too close around no matter what.
If our explorators re interested in anything from the circle (and the book might be interesting, even if just to check the title, same for the brain, even if jsut to smash it and make sure it'll never bepart of any monster..) they should use a long branch (hell a litteral ten foot pole would be great here) to fish them and push them out of the circle.
Might be a good idea to do this when we're comming back fromt he epedition

>Given the fact the factory been already looted means it's likely not dangerous anymore,on the other hand it's still afiliated with the Signet, rght in front of the forest who is likely a Signet folower refuge ad probaly doesn't conain anything vauable anymore.
It could be a good spot to keep tabs on the forest tho.

Worth getting a look in even if jsut to see if we can get spy at the center of the forest from it's windows

>Forest isbad news all over. Even if our protection against mind control could protect us from a potential mind control,th trees moving by themselves are unerving and given the proimity to the circle, signet worshipers are likey close. Don't go in there, don't go too close.
What is interesting about ti is that it could be a source of wood (and god know our three/four trees at home will be a source of sticks for only so long) but the trees moving by themselves is.. nope.

>A dead body lying apparently in the middle of nowhere seriously look like shmuck bait...
The only thing that make me slightly hesistate in declaring it a trap is the apparent nakedness,which would mean it was effectively looted after death. But then why are the bag and scroll still there ifit belonged to them ? Maybe they werewothless to whoever did this, maybe they were left after, maybe they're a trap, no way to know jsut like that.

Use extreme caution to investigate. If the horse smell something bad, abor. If you see something aproahing, abort, even if it looks human, especial f it look human.

>Once again, multiple bodies around that bridge are a red flag but it could be explained in many ways.

Tempted to investigate it notheless.

>Walking skinn:
... er, no bloody idea. But given it's proximity to the brain box and the general signet imagery all along, I'd rather gettng too close to disembodied body parts avoid it for

>Brain Box
.... Likely dangerous but it might be a good idea to check the entrance as well as lookng if we can see what lies futher East behind it.

TL.DR
-Don't get in the circle. Only interact with the object in it with a long stick or pole. Try to push the book and brain out.
-Don't go into the forest for now, don' even get too close.
-If they check the corpse, use extreme prudence. If they see a single trace of movment, of the horse hesitating oreel jsut littletoo much heat, abort iediatly.
-Avoid the skinn for now
-Might as well check the bridge
-Check the factory, see if they can see ore about the forest from it.
-check the brain box closer but don't penetrate into it.
(04-06-2018, 04:07 PM)Arcanuse Wrote: »But, ultimately I would advise investigating the walking skin first. I suspect something might happen if offered water, though what exactly I couldn't say.

>Have Mahfo do it
(04-07-2018, 06:53 AM)smuchmuch Wrote: »
Quote:- Brain Box: East. Aello tells your people there is a very large tent that smells of rotten eggs on the way there. The Brain Box itself is a gigantic brain-looking thing made of steel.

This is quite different of what we're seeing. And no trae of that tent. Id o wonder if Kori info was wrong then or things just changed in the meantime.

The early information the about Brain Box is correct. The next update will shed light on what happened to it.
(04-06-2018, 10:50 PM)Dis_Aster Wrote: »I think we should check the dead Dermilian first. Preferably starting with the note, then the bag. Either that, or the lab. Even if it's already been picked at, I wouldn't be surprised if someone overlooked a few stray bits and pieces.

The naked, dead Dermilian is an uncomfortable sight to behold. The masculine corpse bears a face of sheer sorrow, as if he made a prayer and was answered with a loud ‘no’. Mahfo reads the note left next to the body:

Quote:“This person, a soldier of the Dermilyu Kingdom, was found guilty by the Padabon Government on the charge of eighteen counts of murder. The defendant escaped from the trial after sentencing and was pursued by Zalugi Patrollers for two days. He refused to repent and resisted arrest, so we deemed him a threat to our society. Our Patrollers delivered the killing blow with a Fire-flash Spell. The deceased’s clothes were destroyed by the spell, and his body stopped functioning due to the extreme heat.

His name is lost to us, for we have found nothing to identify him. No known rank or title. His belongings, which are placed here, are meant for those who are oppressed by either the Signet or the Dermilyu Kingdom. We pray that his soul is forgiven by the ghosts of his victims.

If you are in need, take his possessions. We did not place any curses on the deceased’s items.

- Zalugi Court of Justice”

Seems the Zalugi can handle pyromancy quite well. Fire-flash is a difficult spell for most people to perform, as it demands total focus and quick reflexes to cast without missing the target. This dead Dermilian also shows that the Zalugi can reach this far, though as the note said, they were in pursuit for two days. It would be an impressive stroke of luck if you encounter their Patrollers now.

Nguda examines the small bag near the corpse. There is a ceramic dagger inside, along with a compass and 6 crumbits. These are all too useful to be left behind, so Nguda takes them all.

“Ceramic dagger” added to inventory!

This dagger has seen a lot of use, but it’s still sharp.

“Compass” added to inventory!

This device is actually quite large, probably because it was meant for Dermilians. It’s still portable though, and reliably points north.

“6 crumbits” added to inventory!

(04-06-2018, 04:07 PM)Arcanuse Wrote: »Inclined to investigate the bridge to nowhere, as the crates suggest the presence of something we may be able to salvage. Heck, might find a usable container.

But, ultimately I would advise investigating the walking skin first. I suspect something might happen if offered water, though what exactly I couldn't say.

Your explorers reach the Walking Skin, carefully. Comet doesn’t show any sign of discomfort, much to your surprise. Up close, it looks like it was very precisely removed from whoever used to own this piece of skin.

[Image: LqSN4Tb.jpg]

It is completely silent, but it doesn’t seem to be hostile. In fact, it’s indifferent to your explorers. Mahfo carefully approaches it and gives it some water, and it promptly stops moving and collapses into a heap on the desert sand. At first you think it died, but actually it’s just fallen asleep. It quietly breathes on the sand, posing no threat to anyone.

What a strange creature! It’s a relief to know it isn’t dangerous, but this is still unsettling to watch.

Mahfo and Nguda check the Bridge To Nowhere next.

[Image: 7ro0RsP.jpg]

The dead bodies don’t look like they belong to any tribe you know about. They are human, though, and the chains attached to them suggests they are slaves. They all look like they died from dehydration.

These poor people were forced to work here and build a bridge in the middle of nowhere. Your explorers carefully and respectfully examine their bodies. They had nothing of value, aside from some rags.

The nearby crates are opened, and most of them are empty save for one. It has some bottles of mead and wine inside! These should fetch high prices!

”2 bottles of Wine” added to inventory!
”3 bottles of Mead” added to inventory!

You are no expert, but you know for certain there are rich people willing to buy these luxuries. Maybe these were meant for the slave-owners? There’s also a box of matches here.

”20 matchsticks” added to inventory!

Nothing explains WHY this bridge is here, though. Another Signet mystery.

(04-06-2018, 05:25 PM)Wessolf27 Wrote: »Hrmmm... actually, if we're particularly adventurous, it might be a good idea to consider going to the Brain Box to find some sort of offering to either Arara or Holkaborg. For the former, it might help restore his mind, for the latter, it's always good to have some way of countering things that we might not have a means to take on through normal means.

As you get close enough, you realize it isn’t made of wax. It’s made of steel! The steel melted! How could this be? Your explorers investigate.

The stench of rotting oranges is incredibly awful, but your explorers bear it and explore the interior of the Brain Box.

As for the stench, it’s actually a MIX of different food. Now that you’re inside, it’s not just oranges, there’s eggs, fish, beef… a lot of trash and food stains are covering the floor. Did someone live here?

[Image: PiWqe41.jpg]

The altar(?) in the center seems empty. There is a scroll next to it and a little piece of crystal.

Mahfo reads the scroll:

Quote:“This building, the Brain Box belongs to the Dermilyu Kingdom. Your presence here is an act of trespassing, which carries a penalty of 3 months of unpaid labor.

However, we will forgive you if you leave immediately because we understand how you might be ignorant of our claim, since we have no posted guards. We had to vacate the premises to avoid encroaching enemy threats.

In the future, we shall bring a proper military force and install guard posts. Be warned, for we will not be so forgiving when that time comes.

We have claimed the Signet artifacts within. They will be justly used for rebuilding our Kingdom.

-By Order of the Dermilyu Royal Authority”

So the Dermilyu Kingdom has been here. You wonder what those giants have found inside this place? Maybe the Zalugi could give you some clues, you’ll have to ask them later. Considering how much rotten food there is around here, you figure the Dermilians are… messy eaters. They might have been so used to having slaves clean up after them, they didn’t bother with basic eating manners.

Nguda picks up the piece of crystal. It feels very cold to the touch, and might actually be useful for keeping food from spoiling. Not even the desert weather could make it warm.

“Cooler Crystal” added to inventory!

(04-07-2018, 12:01 AM)ICan'tGiveCredit Wrote: »take the book and dagger from the signet circle-to-be

[Image: gyAJrwb.jpg]

The incomplete circle lies dormant, as it’s missing a few symbols inside it. Mahfo and Nguda examine the book and dagger.

The book is some kind of journal, written by a Signet worshipper. The pages are stained so badly with spilled ink and saliva (ugh) that much of it is unreadable, except for two pages. The first legible page reads:

Quote:42nd Day of New Purpose!
Forest FOR est FOREST! visit the eyes and see wondrous truth! there are no animals only trees
but first! before going to forest must finish summon brain thing!

The other one reads:

Quote:43rd Day of New Purpose!
this brain is no good. too rotten!!!! ugh need to kill a stranger now! signet please give me power to kill and find fresh brain!

The rest of it is unintelligible, covered in disgusting bodily fluids that have long dried. Your explorers drop it on the ground.

The dagger left behind is very high-quality despite it being caked in what is presumably blood… or maybe bile? It’s hard to tell. These are old stains.

“Steel Dagger” added to inventory!

As for the rotten brain sitting next to the circle, your people decide to crush it, just to be safe. No more worrying if it’s going to actually turn into a monster.

Your explorers feel like they’ve seen enough for today, so-

wait

[Image: 49W4QCk.jpg]

…Isn’t the Chanting Forest too close?

Holkaborg contacts you urgently, almost screaming:

“Guardian Ghost. The forest can see you. Yes, YOU. YOU YOU YOU!”

You are taken aback, both by this revelation and the way she tells it. She continues, with dread in her voice.

“Guardian Ghost, the forest will chase you. It has been looking at you this whole time. It hungers for you. It wants you inside. It wants you. It’s been trying to control your two explorers this entire time. It moves now, after realizing I have blocked it. It will never stop. It knows you exist now, and it wants only you.”

Holkaborg didn’t say “the people inside the forest can see you”, she said “the forest can see you”. The forest itself is conscious.

As you look at the face-like Chanting Forest from above, you realize now that the trees which form its ‘pupils’ are pointing towards you. Your spirit-body moves just to confirm it, and sure enough the ‘eyes’, the tops of those trees, follow you. What kind of nightmarish mind controls that place?

As a Guardian Ghost, you must be in the vicinity of someone in your tribe. You cannot go anywhere without someone to anchor you. If one of your people actually enters the Chanting Forest… it’s not outside the realm of possibility that the forest will then have you prisoner.

Holkaborg warns you: “Beware, Guardian Ghost. It will follow. It will not stop until it has you inside… or until you find a way to kill it.”

You ask her, the Goddess of Madness, ‘Why is Rimewulf silent?’

Her answer is chilling:

“Because the Forest calls for him too.”

You ask her if there is anything she can do to help you, more than what her blessing is already doing. She responds.

“Sacrifice something of value to me, and I will trick the forest’s mind with illusions. I cannot say how long the illusions will last. I have never seen anything like this… abomination. Forgive me, but even deities struggle to defy the Signet.”

What do you do?

- Attempt to ford the river and then head west back to Refugeville!
- Try going south and evade the forest!
- Burn the trees on the edges of the Chanting Forest with the matches and wine!
- Tell one explorer to return and get help, while the other stays and buys time.
- Sacrifice items in your inventory to Holkaborg.
- Go east and travel as far as you can! Maybe you’ll find the Zalugi and they’ll save you!
- Enter the Chanting Forest. Confront this evil.
- Run back to Refugeville and prepare for war!

Mahfo: Wearing Mycah Wizard Robe, Armed with Stone Axe.
Nguda: Armed with Iron Knife.
Comet: Horse. Completely loyal.

Team Inventory:
2 Bottles of Wine, 3 Bottles of Mead, Ceramic Dagger, Compass, 20 matches, Steel Dagger, Cooler Crystal, Steel Knife

>_

SpoilerShow
One of the explorers should use the wood from the crates and the rags from the slaves by the Bridge-to-Nowhere to start a fire after the other leads the forest to.
Oh, so not only is it a face-forest, it's also alive. I mean I shouldn't be surprised, but for fuck's sake. Fuck the Signet, their worshipers, and their fucking nightmare factories, too. Either way, I'm down with gloomy's plan, because I'm not gonna rest easy until this entire shitty forest is burnt to the ground. My only regret is that we don't have any salt to spread on top of it afterwards.
Sadly unles it's a very dry forest, I very much doubt two bottle of wine, a fw matches and some crate remains are going to be enoug to start a big enouh a sufficient fire. (Especialy considering it's some kind of magic forest)

Wine makes for some awfull carburant (Not rich enough in alchool,too much water. if anything you'd rather etinuish a fire by pouring wine on it than fuel it). Maybe some of the oil we have back at the village would help if it was hot enough but best case scenario I suspect we'll only singe part of it.
However maybe getting a few trees on fire might manage to distract it's attention, so that' sill worth a try.

I wonder, if we somehow could burn the "pupils" trees at the center, would it become blind ?
Onl way to do so however would be to confront and enter it (Or mayb we could ask flying woman to drop firebombs from above)

However the Zalugi know how to use fire spell, they could burn this abomination much easier than we could, I think our best bet is to have our explorers go in their direction, they ae at wo days marc at most, it'll be tough but it can be done. (And even if the foest (move' ater us, I doubt it'll very quick). Shame abut all th wod lst if the frest burns down tho but beter not ake any risks.

As to how to find them, I think maybe Holkaborg can show us the way to the Zalugis.? We'll offer her a botle of wine for it.

Also on less urgent but stil worring matter, the expansion of the Dermillians is getting worying. Soner or later they'll follow the river from the brain box or go soutward from the god box and then...
If we could steer them agaisnt the signet tho, they could make for some prety good fighters, tho.
Hm. Will have to come back to the brain box later, should be able to find something we could do with all that steel. (Once we have a way to break it apart and haul back, of course.)

Could the illusions trick the forest into going south?
Rather not have it follow us or send it off to the zalugi without warning them first.
Quiet. Good for an unusual opinion. Doesn't talk much.
> draw Holkaberg's symbol and sacrifice steel to her
Thank you Holkaborg for your advice. If both We and Rimewulf are in danger, then we must act post-haste.

Apart from Gloomy's plan, we must sacrifice something to buy us some time to enact it. We offer wine and mead to her, and a summoned animal if we must. If the forest hungers for us, why not befuddle it with illusory images of us?

If possible, after burning that bridge, have both of our explorers break the crates and scatter the pieces as far as they can around the forest. Have them burn those along with the bridge.
>Sacrifice a bottle of mead to Holkaborg, and thank them for buying us time

>Send the worst of the two (at riding) back, tell them to take wolf form as soon as possible, and carry a message to the crawfish man that we are sending someone to the Zalugi for emergency assistance. They can swim even faster than we can travel, and they will have their mages ready to vanquish the forest by the time we arrive
>the one heading back will take (rest of wine, daggers/knives, cooler crystal)

>The other will ride as fast as they can within reason.
The fire spell creates tremendous heat, which should be enough to dry out the forest and set it ablaze with a match. We will need a Zalugi to help as we cannot risk being swallowed by the forest.