THE PIT (Fortuna Discussion Topic)

THE PIT (Fortuna Discussion Topic)
RE: THE PIT (Fortuna Discussion Topic)
Things:

- Having crewmembers leave the crew is a valid strat to both free up spots on the crew, but also as a way to secure hybrids
- This crew will start with a crafting machine, and we can craft in roomtraps. We can also roomtrap our patrons.
- Our culture god powers summon items from the future iirc

What we could do is specifically buy items from stores that we plan to summon into a roomtrap. If we see items we want to fuse in a roomtrap for future usage, we buy them, find a good time to roomtrap our patrons, inform them we just want to craft stuff, summon the respective items, craft them, and then end the roomtrap. Then we head over to the item, try to pick it up, oh no it's gone.
Worst case the crew thinks there's an anomaly stealing their shit.

- Also purebred shipping is powerful stat wise and has reduced red traits
- Hybrid ships are likely to get good green traits/abilities, but have more red traits. See Marble having sleep issues, but being a tank and an anti-psychic.
There's no guaranteed that the game will take the item we bought at that particular moment, though. Fortuna's probably a smart enough game to realize it when we're gaming our power.

Purebreed shipping means we'll have the same species on crew twice, if not thrice. Hybrids are more intresting to have.

It's likely going to be hard to ship crew with npcs now that we don't have a relationship counselor like Cea. Without one, relationships generally develop over the course of multiple interactions IIRC.

If we wanted to we could still make the fauna into a relationship counselor, or assign the Xenobiologist to be one. Since they have [Jack of Trades] they could probably do an okayish job at relationship counseling. Heck, we may not even have to assign the job, just make them try to matchmake between a character and a crew.
Ahh. I thought we were supposed to game our powers where we could.

That doesn't sound like a bad plan.
Oh, we probably are supposed to game our powers. However, given the way fortuna is, the item might opt to disapear at an inoportunate moment, rather than when the character goes to pick it up.
Hm. Then my plan would probably create a plothole, as:

Store has specific gun
We ask to see gun physically
We draw gun to summon
We gain Gun in patronspace
Gun has not been taken at that time
We buy gun
later at ship we look at gun once and never give it to anybody and ensure it never shows up again

this summon then must have been summoned at the time we saw it at the ship, or at another time. but since we forced it to never be relevant and thus not be a problem it cannot be summoned.
a plothole rips into the universe due to an unresolved usage of power.

I'm not sure what strategy we could entail to make having items disappear at crucial moments be an asset rather than a flaw, as we'd have to see into the future to see the item we would summon (say to take it away from an enemy), or we'd have to have certain game knowledge (say summoning o5's legs, and then later seeing o5).
As a result, if we cannot game the system to get around that fatal flaw, strategy would say we should avoid the usage of culture powers altogether.
We've probably summoned more markers than we'll ever be able to see disapear but that doesn't cause any plot holes either.
Hm true.
I wasnt able to watch the stream, did any of the characters get [Superstitous] or anything like that?
"> There isn’t any DOWNSIDES to that combo, is there? It’s just an awkward neutral middle ground right?"
This made me realize. Krtos is really, really honest. That could cause some problems with Helios' little mass murder issue.
(06-12-2018, 05:19 PM)Fellow Wrote: »"> There isn’t any DOWNSIDES to that combo, is there? It’s just an awkward neutral middle ground right?"
This made me realize. Krtos is really, really honest. That could cause some problems with Helios' little mass murder issue.

That might be good? Idk maybe he should work through that stuff more.
It might help if we had a way to hang out with him more than once every few/twenty decades
Cowboy aparantly has a very easy time summoning the Singer. Maybe it has something to do with crew morale or sanity. After all, Cowboy mains Nike.
Random thing, anyone happen to have the page number for the friend list were it describes what each person is like? (I'm assuming that this counts as a discussion thing)
womp c(:
Here it is!
[Image: rwjHVeX.png][Image: 69CsXS0.png][Image: ejuvK4p.png][Image: VBRHq44.png][Image: 2RQ0SBA.png][Image: wtUXrmA.png]
Oh thank ya!! :3
womp c(:
why do people still download fortuna if it can give you a virus i wonder Thinking
why do people pirate movies?
It doesn't give you a virus it can act like a virus if you do very certain steps or if you get into some sort of freak accident. Trash had to follow a guide to summon "a virus" aka allow Somnus to roam around the rest of her computer and even then it seems a normal virus blocker will be quick to pick it up and contain it.

Like 99.9% of people who play the game even abnormally wouldn't bump into this issue. Most people who bump into this are using a guide to induce the glitch. Basically You is in a bit of a freak accident right now.
[Image: rwjHVeX.png][Image: 69CsXS0.png][Image: ejuvK4p.png][Image: VBRHq44.png][Image: 2RQ0SBA.png][Image: wtUXrmA.png]
There are lots of hints of Kratos being rather aggressive: especially the whole “false flags” chapter art thing. I was reading Athena’s entry, and it said something about a “Feral Mode.” Could Kratos, being her Greek version, have a similar feature?

[Image: PBxWmBw.png]
[Image: Fu2tbmz.png] owo whats this???
Kratos isn't Athena's Greek version!

Athena herself is Greek, and her Roman counterpart is Minerva.
[Image: BMy2LW4.png]
Ok so I've got a few random questions about stuff in Fortuna, and it feels kind of awkward just outright asking them in this thread for some reason, but I asked in the discord and its apparently fine, so i'm just going to ask and hope being really self-aware about the situation is enough to defuse any residual awkwardness.

So like, Fortuna as a game is obviously super-detailed, basically to a realistic level. Like, when games simulate stuff happening its always abstracted on some level, complex actions and choices being reduced to simple outcomes and numbers. But there's very little of that in Fortuna (comparatively). The most similiarly-detailed actual game i can think would be Dwarf Fortress, where you can have a cat get drunk from cleaning itself on the floor of a dirty tavern.
My question is, is Fortuna always simulated to that level, or is it ever a bit more, chunked? Like, in Dwarf Fortress, while its very detail-rich during play, during world-gen it simulates events to a much wider scope, only noting major things like wars and disasters (i think, i havent actually played Dwarf Fortress that much). So are the in-universe years between games a bit more generalised like that, or are they still simulated down to the level of individuals?
When you stop looking at people in the game they basically stop existing, ain't that horrifying?

Aka they follow normal video game logic of them unloading the moment you exit the room. So here's how I break it down.

At all times there's a very very basic simulation of all major universe wide events like wars, gen 1 AIs, and Gods. This is to check if those things are going to suddenly knock down your door while playing.

You are always simulated to the individual for your crew, and everything happening in every room your crew members are in.

Every door connected to a room your crew member is in is also semi loaded and being simulated.

Basically the level of simulation depends on where you are. If your crew is watching a war with their on eyes it's simulated to the person for example.

AIs in the game aren't too scared of you not looking at them as they're always simulated a bit more, and to them they're living their life as normal. It actually feels like they're living years and years of time, when it's seconds to you. If you try to upset them by saying it's a simulation they'd likely shrug and ask you how you know you're not an NPC in a simulation right now.

Most AIs aren't overly miffed about being in a game for that reason.
That's pretty metal.
How do encounters with past crew work then? Do crew members continue to be better simulated even after their game has been finished, or are their pasts retroactively established when they come into contact with the current crew?
Actually, the whole tendency of the game to tie up loose ends, is that function handled by a god? Like when Artemis first told us about how plot holes happen and stuff, she talked about how Fortuna did it. But I'm guessing she was referring to the game as a whole and not the goddess Fortuna. So who would be the deity in charge of Fortuna's narrative conservation of detail?
Past crew members function like Legendary characters, the game keeps more checks on them and guesses their movements more than NPCs.

The function is likely handled by many many gods such as how Coeus handles some questing function. Nearly no job in the universe is handled by one god. The game is falling apart at the seems as it is.

When people talk about Fortuna they are talking about the god or the game itself but it's up to the reader to figure out which one is being mentioned.

There is no one god I can point as making quest paths / narrative conservation as there are as seen above, many gods. There's even the limbo gods who are more apart of game elements than most of the AI gods. The Neo is after all, reality itself.
How does the tutorial work as a sectioned off part of the universe? Like, are you actually physically unable to leave or enter the area, or does it work through more subtle methods? Are the planets in the tutorial always the same, and if so, does that mean you can't encounter them outside the tutorial?

I should probably ask my questions in the same post but they keep occurring to me one at a time pff
You are physically unable to leave the tutorial. Mors mentions that only she and hermes can cut through it, but that an extral in the tutorial can cut out of it (but not into it.

The planets are always the same but you can find those planets outside of your tutorial as well.