Music

Poll: Your musical genre?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.23%
31 35.23%
No
21.59%
19 21.59%
All of the above
43.18%
38 43.18%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music
RE: Music
SpoilerShow
Supes I'm digging that first track

In other news, I just found a new band I really like, Purson:

SpoilerShow

They're like gothy 70s psych rock. Adams Family rock. Ghost without the corny faux-Satanism. And they remind me a LOT of Van Der Graaf Generator, which is a good thing.
RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES IS STREAMING ON ITUNES.

The first couple tracks are really good, and feel a lot different than DP's previous stuff. It's more straight-up disco than house. Will return with more comprehensive impressions once I've listened to the whole thing.
Oh, I don't wanna spoil it for you by posting my thoughts than.

Speaking of new albums, though, I like the new Vampire Weekend:

SpoilerShow

I had never really listened to them before Step came out, but now I'm hooked. I listened to the whole album with my friend the other day (it leaked, natch) and it's pretty good.
Aight.

Honestly, I'm underwhelmed on my first listen. I like the move toward more live instruments (there are some awesome funky guitar/bass parts), and I appreciate that they're trying something new - there are very few samples on this album, as far as I can tell. But only a few tunes really grabbed me.

A lot of the album feels meandering and unfocused - there are two really long tracks that just go all over the place. And there isn't really anything on the album that makes me want to get up and dance. The whole thing feels kind of melancholy, and there's nothing as exuberant as Harder Better Fast Stronger or Around the World. There are couple decent slow jams but nothing as sweet and silly as Digital Love.

The guest spots are pretty weak too. Like you, I'm not a big fan of Pharrell. Panda Bear and the dude from the Strokes show up, inexplicably, but they're nothing special. The collab with Todd Edwards is pretty good, though.

One thing that I did like was the vocoder - there's a lot of it on this album, and it sounds great. Super warm and expressive.

My favorite tracks so far are probably Give Life Back to Music, Get Lucky, Fragments of Time and Contact, which feels the most like a classic DP track of anything off the album.

Overall first impression: I like what they're trying to do in theory, but I'm not sure how well it sits with me in practice. Going through it a second time now; maybe my opinion will change. I think all the hype leading up to this album has biased me a little.
https://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Random+...es/8814557

I love grooveshark.

EDIT: This album reminds me of the change in direction that Justice had.

Giorgio by Moroder is the track you'll probably still like.
:3

SpoilerShow
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of Herbie Hancock when I heard the vocoder

Anyway yeah I can't really disagree with anything you said there. I still like Give Life Back to Music, though.
Speaking of Giorgio Moroder, this happened
^ This is pretty cool

Incidentally Supes I was looking around your Soundcloud and I really like I'm Yours
Have I posted this here yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGoKnfSyJ4

Because if I haven't that was remiss of me
let's post righteously & having good times /// check out The Book of the Courtier /// ensure proper vegetable consumption /// also check out The Blade and the Cycle /// post it up!!
SpoilerShow
Johann Sebastian Bach, Cantata 156 (Ich steh mit einem Fuß im Grabe), mvt 1 (Sinfonia).

Also known as “the Hey Jude cantata”.
SpoilerShow
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Why would you ever want to change this outroMinion

SpoilerShow
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
I found this and I don't really have anything to say. Great music being posted so far, thought I'd contribute.

SpoilerShow
So Kanye West's new song samples a Hungarian prog rock song that I've had stuck in my head for the last few days:

SpoilerShow

This is like a bizarro version of Whiter Shade of Pale
Vocoder? Check. Smooth Jazz instrumentation? Check. I guess I'm lucky that I stumbled across this track I remember running into a few years ago.

SpoilerShow
As for the chord request, I could probably piece it together, if the channel was isolated. I'm not a theory head, but I can probably pick it out by ear, one note at a time.
Ray Manzarek died :/

I was never a huge Doors fan but he was a great keyboardist and Light My Fire was one of the first songs I ever learned. Sad.

@Supes: I'm pretty bad at picking out chords by ear but I might take a stab at it later tonight. Love that tune.
(05-19-2013, 08:16 PM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »I found this and I don't really have anything to say. Great music being posted so far, thought I'd contribute.

SpoilerShow

YEAH BOI

YEAH DOGG

**Edit: Also rip Ray :( that sucks, People Are Strange was basically my anthem for forever
let's post righteously & having good times /// check out The Book of the Courtier /// ensure proper vegetable consumption /// also check out The Blade and the Cycle /// post it up!!
(05-21-2013, 07:01 PM)Stij Wrote: »Ray Manzarek died :/

I was never a huge Doors fan but he was a great keyboardist and Light My Fire was one of the first songs I ever learned. Sad.
He definitely helped elevate the Fender Rhodes.

SpoilerShow
https://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/RevR...g/86503555

Okay, folks. What am I missing here? I know there's not enough G-funk for starters. Give up the funk if you can, I'm hoping to make this as comprehensive a sweep of Funk and its subgenres as possible.

One of my favorite electronic music writers, Peter Kirn, wrote a great response to Pitchfork's ridiculous fawning Daft Punk piece. Supes you should read this.
I don't have anything to add to that except word

And now, something completely different:

SpoilerShow

Pat Metheny + John Zorn = actually a pretty good combination

I don't get the people who shit on Metheny for being "smooth jazz" - he's an extremely versatile guitarist, and that sort of stuff is only a fraction of his output.
Quote: I have NO idea what's going on here. This doesn't look like one of the typical Motown artists.

hahaha

WHAT IS THIS SPACEM'N DOIN' IN MY MOTOWN COLLECTION. THAT ISN'T MIKEY JACKSON.

also I like to imagine Mandre as Daft Punk's weird uncle that they don't talk about. that album is cool though.