Music

Poll: Your musical genre?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.23%
31 35.23%
No
21.59%
19 21.59%
All of the above
43.18%
38 43.18%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music
RE: Music
'Gypsy Jazz' makes me think of this.

SpoilerShow
(04-16-2013, 09:36 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Electro house had only just begun to exist as a subgenre in 2004. If you want to play that game you can go all the way back to the origins of sampling, because people have always been sampling jazz records.

2002, actually. And yes, we can! In fact, let's do so, because this is still a good song:

SpoilerShow

However, Parov Stelar was the first to stop using it as mere experimentation. Moving on:

(04-16-2013, 09:36 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Gypsy jazz is not swing, and swing is not gypsy jazz. They are related but different styles of music.

Also true. However:

(04-16-2013, 09:36 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »they are largely meaningless and useless if you're musically educated.

If you're going to be that atomic about it, you're essentially excluding most of the general public from discussion. That seems kind of pretentious, and is certainly something I'm not interested in. That's why I believe umbrella terms are in fact necessary.

Also: I think I'll choose how I want to label my music, thank you very much.

I have no more interest in trying to argue this point, since our views clearly differ. We're done here.

Honestly not what I expected it to sound like. Definitely would like to hear the full cut, though the vocals seem a little... impersonal? The vocals sections feel drained in comparison with the instrumental sections of the track.
AdmodPines says: If it's sufficiently edgerical that you feel like sticking it under numerous spoilers, that's a good indication that maybe the conversation's not really something worth continuing at all.

RegularPines says: I've been enjoying some Alestorm lately. I'm not sure what about it I like, as I've a far-from-sophisticated musical palate, but I find it a pleasing combination.

SpoilerShow
(04-20-2013, 03:54 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »
(04-20-2013, 02:20 AM)bigro Wrote: »Double spoilered because p sure most people don't want to see this crap. edgy

Oh. I guess I won't read it, then.

SpoilerShow

Too bad Stij isn't here, Pines. He loves silly metal.

i love this song. i was just listening to this album today and i have the original sample on vinyl, i am unreasonably excited about this coincidence
Why Pharrell, I wonder? Why not D'angelo? Bilal? Teddy Riley?
Cee Lo Green?

Ah well.

There are plenty of good R&B/Neo Soul artists out there. I just don't count Pharrell among the best. I mean, just listen to 'Go Go Gadget Gospel'. That is the kind of vocals I'd hope to see more of on Daft Punk's records.
Rita MacNeil = dead

Booooo :( I only remember her Working Man song which is good to listen to when you're in a neutral mood, IMO.
It's fun diving into Youtube and finding acapellas. It's even more delightful to find someone who is really, really, really good at it. Also, his beard is Gandalf Level.

SpoilerShow
I like Dolores Keane.

SpoilerShow
韋力澹、杜薇花,《亞奧美思特大傳》人物兩「茄呢啡」獨魯人也。
韋為紫血,杜為藍血,二人關係生平不詳。惟只現一回則見光死於熊熊烈火中矣。
(04-20-2013, 03:54 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

Too bad Stij isn't here, Pines. He loves silly metal.
YOU SUMMONED MEEEEEEEEEEEE

man I am bummed that I wasn't here to watch your reaction when the new Daft Punk single got released. gonna have to read through the back pages of this thread.

in other news, I am back and I have an assload of music to share with ya'll

SpoilerShow
i edited it so NOW YA LOOK DUMB

aaaaaaaaaaa I have so much music from the last couple months I wanna show you guys it's not even funny. let's start with this, which I have a feeling you'll like:

SpoilerShow

(huh two Erykah Badu tracks in a row. I don't even like her that much tbh)
it's me. i am the dumb one

fixed
I need to spilt up SF posts again.

Have bootsy and buckethead.

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

I really like this album. Lots of influence from 80s boogie synth + new wave stuff.
i completely forgot

Bowman's Comfortable Bugs
go listen to it
the whole album
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

Supes what do you think of these guys
yeah a lot of people call Classix a yacht rock version of house (fair) but I really like those two tracks
^This is really cool. Reminds me of Justice a bit.

Speaking of Justice, their new live album is actually pretty good:

SpoilerShow

Electronic live albums are usually pretty dull but they do a good job of reworking tracks/mixing them together.
Sergei Rachmaninoff’s prelude in C♯ minor. One of his most popular pieces, first performed when he was only 19. How would you feel if people always asked you to play one of your oldest pieces, I wonder? Plenty of musicians live to regret some of their best works, of course, just because they can’t get away from them.
SpoilerShow

It tends to get stuck in my head pretty easily due to its pattern of repetition. (I am kind of gloomy inside my head, here.)
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
I tried starting a thread about orchestral music on MSPA's forum once. Not the same, but I have a soft spot for wind ensembles.
(probably because I used to be in them)

SpoilerShow
(05-10-2013, 01:24 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »
(05-10-2013, 12:28 AM)Stij Wrote: »Electronic live albums are usually pretty dull

SpoilerShow

Point. But YMO didn't rely as heavily on sequencers as most modern electronic acts do.

Related: Every time I hear YMO it strikes me how much of an influence they must have been on early video game music
The short of it is she wrote the song.
I played Pong on a Cray once?
SpoilerShow

sorry for the video just being poorly rendered text but it had he best audio quality