A LANDFILL

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
A LANDFILL
RE: SUBFORUM IDEAS TOPIC
Dagnabbit.
Had a whole post ready, hit refresh, and BANG! it became obsolete and irrelevant.

Wheat, I'm gonna be honest here, I'm not sure I see the issues with insularity you're talking about, and I'm not really convinced that the old mafia stuff on MSPA is really relevant to what's happening here and now. (Particularly since seedy claims you're misrepresenting people?) And I agree with Loather that dumping that on Chwoka was kind of a dick move.

That aside, the "Hawkspace meant to be != Eagle Time" is the important thing, yeah? That's more or less how I was seeing it and why I was so perplexed as well that people were so horrified over not having rules. But of course, Hawkspace is hosted on Eagle Time and has all the same people, so it's only natural that some folks wouldn't see it that way. They still are clearly affiliated in some way or another, not totally separate entities.

I'm not convinced, though I'm open to being persuaded, that cliquishness/insularity are problems on Eagle Time. I'm also not convinced that making a separate thing is any sensible way to REDUCE cliquishness - it's just "oh, here's a new place for a clique to form," as seedy rightly pointed out. I wouldn't expect it to necessarily make things worse, but I don't see it solving that problem.

But I like what's been happening on Hawkspace in general, so I don't think it's a bad thing to have.
The post quality issue, people feeling too self-conscious, that I can maybe see. And I've probably missed some incidents during the times I wasn't keeping up with this forums. Heck, the stuff Ed was saying in that last post about being jumped on, I was on the receiving end of a little bit of that a ways back myself. Not that it was entirely not my fault, but.
On the whole, I haven't really felt super-uncomfortable with being able to post whatever things I want. Sounds like at least a few other people have, though. And I can't deny that Hawkspace's informal atmosphere has loosened my own fingers.
So, aside from what it was meant to be, what is it? And what should it be? What do we want from it? (Hoboy, we'll never reach a conclusive answer to THAT question. But for what it's worth, let's at least consider the possibility that so far, it's been a fine thing being what it already is, and maybe in the end we're all making a big fuss over nothing. MAYBE. Maybe not, but maybe.) (And it's originally Wheat's idea, so, ...?)

Messages In This Thread
A LANDFILL - by ☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆ - 10-09-2014, 07:12 AM